Water stolen - because why not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

There was a couple of reports of rthe council saying it was OK so it may not be the case of mass theft. Also while some are reporting it was at the start of the race, it looks Luke the runners already past.

https://youtu.be/oAwIIlvvbK0

Uproar as London marathon water bottles snatched by roadside (VIDEO)

A bizarre ‘theft’ of free bottled water that was meant for the parched mouths of London Marathon runners has provoked an outraged online backlash against residents living along

Around 40,000 people participated in 26.2 mile run, including well-known British astronaut Tim Peake, who digitally completed the marathon while on a treadmill at the International Space Station.

However, while Kenyan athletes Eliud Kipchoge and Jemima Sumgong were the fastest runners, a group of parents and children were also quick off the mark in snatching crate loads of drinking water.

Video purportedly filmed near a marathon water station in Deptford shows scores of people racing to nab the bottles of water as the last of the runners passed.

The 250 milliliter drinks were on hand at every stage along the route from Mile 3 to 25, according to the marathon’s organizers.

People can be seen filling up trolley carts and bags with water that had been provided for free to the participants of Sunday’s event.

“It’s very disappointing to see water being stolen in this way from the official water stations for our runners,” said Hugh Brasher, event director for the marathon, as quoted by the Daily Mail.

“These water stations are staffed by volunteers and we are very grateful to them for their work on Race Day. We always brief our volunteers not to get into altercations if this kind of thing happens.”

While Virgin, the event’s organizers, say they recycle the empty plastic containers used by runners, it is unclear what happens to leftover water supplies.

Regardless of where the bottles should have ended up, people have flooded social media to convey their disdain for those involved in the daylight liquid ‘robbery.’

https://www.rt.com/uk/340792-london-marathon-water-theft/

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

what do they normally do with the excess bottles after an event? are they saved for future events? donated?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

They stole water when they could get free water at home.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

@darklight4: Water is not free. Not in the US, at least. Though I suppose it is so inexpensive it might as well be.

As for the topic; sad. Not so much upsetting because of the audacity or the lost wealth, but just a sad, sad example of human nature. I mean, why? Water is, as stated, free or almost free (it's so inexpensive...many landlords include it in their rent).

Reminds me of this time when I was in a school band, and we had a snack table. This was in Oakland, CA, near the warehouse area, so not a nice neighborhood. But some guy and (i'm assuming) his little kid, could'nt have been more than 8 or so years old, came by and stole a couple bottles of soda. I mean, it was not upsetting because they were expensive or important, but just seeing this dad smile as his kid stole something was really sad.