Washing hands: should you hold hands still after lathering?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

I read this in a hardcopy magazine in the 70's as part of instructions on how to properly wash your hands. That after you vigorously rub your hands together you should hold your hands still for a few seconds (at least 6 seconds) to allow dirty particles to be more fully surrounded by the soap film. Which is supposed to leave your hands cleaner after you wash it off.

Their logic being that while the rubbing action of lathering may sometimes suffice, the rubbing can also slightly disturb the soap film from adhering to the dirt. So holding the hands still will complete the adhering of the soap film around the dirt particles.

I have searched the web off and on for months and I can't find any doctors, state health officials or anyone who says you should hold your hands still in this manner for the reason mentioned above. Sure the surgeons hold their hands up at one point in their washing procedure and that’s well publicized on the net. But that’s a different thing which is for keeping hands sterile. It's not related to allowing the soap to surround the dirt.

And all the various U.S. state health sites and other health sites that I've read with all their instructions on how to wash your hands don't mention holding the hands still after lathering. They may hint at it in very very vague terms like saying after vigorous lathering "when the soap film is allowed to surround the dirt particles this allows the dirt to be easily washed away by rinsing in water." That's paraphrasing it, but it seems to be dancing around the issue of whether or not to hold your hands still for a short time.

So now I'm wondering can you imagine what would happen if health officials recommended holding the hands still for a few seconds? People would most likely do that while the water is still running. But some people would think as a measure of safety maybe add a few more seconds than recommended. And some would hold them still for 10-20 seconds or more with the water still running most likely. The amount of water used or "wasted" depending on your point of view could be noticeable if millions did that. Noticeable in water used and in the bills being paid for the extra water. IMO the extra water usage is why the various state health sites don't directly mention holding hands still while washing. Even if it would be more sanitary. But of course it hasn't been determined if it is more sanitary;.

Anyway the health officials and doctors say on the web that vigorously rubbing hands together with soap will allow the soap film to adhere to the dirty particles in a satisfactory manner. And that's fine, apparently that’s true. But I just want to know if soap adheres to dirty particles better if you hold the hands still for a few seconds after lathering.

Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

Oh dang, already posted this 4 months ago. Deleting this thread, or someone else can delete it if I can't.