Was told today in one of my classes that protein doesn't help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

We had a different guy teaching our course today for a wellness concepts class and we talked about proteins, vitamins, and fats.

Basically, what he said is that taking protein for lifting doesn't actually help for building more muscle because protein is not storagable inside our bodies. As long as you eat the normal amount of protein that your body needs that taking any additional protein is just a waste and you end up pissing it all in the toilet.

Anybody know much about this? I take protein after a workout because I always thought it helped rebuild and create more lean muscle. I know you're supposed to take it within 30 minutes of a workout, so it would make sense to take some protein then, but taking in tons of protein all day or increasing your normal amount would be a waste then, right?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
You need enough protein to facilitate the muscle growth you will receive from the work out. Any more than that it doesn't do much. Can't magically make your muscles grow larger.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I don't get much protein so I take supplements. =)

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I don't think you can urinate protein. Protein turns into carbohydrates when carbohydrates are not used they turn into lipids, lipids turn into fat.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I would probably call that dude a moron and be on my way.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Serraph105

Which is hilariously ironic, because he's right. The body can only naturally absorb so much protein for increasing muscle (Believe its 30-40g per day depending on the person), the rest is wasted.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
I used protein mix for about a month and stopped because of acne, but I definitly noticed a weight gain when I used it. I also was able to lift heavier than without it.
strope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 strope
Member since 2005 • 78 Posts
Unless you're a workout warrior and are constantly in the gym, then you should be getting all the protein you need from your diet. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a workout program going and was going to start taking protein shakes after my workouts, but when I asked my Nutrition professor, he said it wasn't needed. Americans eat too much protein as it is. He pointed out that it can actually lead to the opposite effect. Protein provides calories that you have to burn off, so you can actually gain weight if you're not exercising enough to cover the added calories.
mucgoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mucgoo
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts
Taking an excessive amount won't help and he is right that protein isn't storable, if you are eating a protein rich diet already then supplements are a waste.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

WreckEm711

Which is hilariously ironic, because he's right. The body can only naturally absorb so much protein for increasing muscle (Believe its 30-40g per day depending on the person), the rest is wasted.

It's not wasted. Your body stores it as fat for energy.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Fightingfan

For the purpose of building muscle, it's wasted, which is the topic of the thread, splitting hairs doesn't change that :P

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

For the purpose of building muscle, it's wasted, which is the topic of the thread, splitting hairs doesn't change that :P

Energy can be used to workout which in result can increase muscle size :D *Check mate :P
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Fightingfan

which you can then burn with exercise and turn it to muscle
amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 amigo767
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

OK, here's the thing. Your teacher is pretty much right in one respect. I think what he meant to say is that if you intake too much protein AT ONE TIME, it will be a waste since the body can only "absorb" around 30-50 g of protein at one shot (55 kg MAX for very few people based on body build and size). So, after your exercise, the most your body will "keep" is probably about 50 g. You are right that after exercise is a good time to consume protein - your muscles are short on amino acids and other nutrients due to the intense physical activity.

Basically, it is a waste to consume vast amounts of protein in one shot - in that case you will piss it all out. However, if you have a high daily protein intake, and you spread out your periods of protein consumption (instead of taking 100g at one sitting, take approx 33 g across 6-7 hrs), then the efficiency will increase regarding how much protein your body utilizes. Your teacher is right that protein is not stored - as a protein. If too much protein (protein is 4 kcal per gram - same as a carb) is taken in, the amino acids and functional groups that make it a protein in the first place will be excreted, while a lot of the energy storing parts of the macromolecule will be stored as adipose tissue (fat). So all the energy will be stored, but it just will be stored as fat rather than muscle. It's like eating chicken all day (lean white meat chicken breast) - if you continuously eat it your muscles wont become larger and you will just become fat.

Protein is basically used in muscle building since sarcomeres, the functional unit of muscle fibers, are very large and therefore require a lot of building blocks and what not, and one of protein's physiological functions is to serve as the "building blocks" of cellular components. That's why, when you exercise, you heavily exert your muscles and in response, your muscles try to adapt by becoming larger - and to become larger they need protein "building blocks".

Edit - I have something to add. Your teacher said that eating normal protein will be sufficient. This depends - if you go to the gym and work out, but stick with a "normal" protein intake, your gains will most likely be less than if you increased your protein diet. Like I said, protein serves as the building blocks for cellular structures, and some of the biggest cellular structures are sarcomeres of the muscles. So, while your teacher is wrong about eating more protein not helping for muscles, it DOES depend on whether or not you eat it in one shot (the body can only "process" so much protein at one time").

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] It's not wasted. Your body stores it as fat for energy.Fightingfan

Energy can be used to workout which in result can increase muscle size :D *Check mate :P

You dont NEED it though, your body gets more than enough energy from the diet to work out as it is, adding more potential energy only makes people fat

amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amigo767

WreckEm711

You dont NEED it though, your body gets more than enough energy from the diet to work out as it is, adding more potential energy only makes people fat

Well, first of all it depends on the person's original diet. It also depends on the magnitude of muscle the person wants to get. Skeletal muscle is still first and foremost a "machine" whose strength depends on its components. If somebody wants huge muscles - the proteins (building blocks) to build those muscles must come from somewhere (aka increased dietary intake of protein). Otherwise, muscle gains will just plateau (depending on the current diet). Of course there are many other factors such as genetic disposition, hormone levels, etc. But these are the basic facts.
colganraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 colganraz
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts
amigo767 is correct and defenaitely knows what he is talking about, I would listen
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Most Personal trainers, physios and doctors will tell you the same thing, for most people, if you eat a stable and balanced diet, then additional protein supplements aren't really beneficial and won't give any significant gain in muscle development.

however

If you are a body builder who goes to the gym twice a day, 7 days a week and lifts godly amounts of weights and eat a whole christmas turkey blended up with raw eggs for breakfast, then they do have a purpose (look at the diets of a lot of 'strong men' competitors or professional body builders).

The majority of people who go to the gym and lift weights aren't these people.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
The dudes that eat too much protein aren't building extra muscles, just making excruciatingly stinky farts.
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

I don't think you can urinate protein.

Protein turns into carbohydrates when carbohydrates are not used they turn into lipids, lipids turn into fat.Fightingfan

You dont urinate protein directly, but you create urine out of excess protein in a well-fed state due to excess amino-groups that you cannot get rid of (metabolize).
Too much protein is just handled as a waste product in your urine.

Only in dire circumstances (fasting state), when your body has absolutely no sugar (glucose/glycogen) reserves, so in other words a hypoglycemia, your body synthetizes sugars out of protein. This protein is gotten from your muscles, mainly alanine IIRC, and not through food.

Excess protein is excess waste. Besides eating excess protein can be risk for hepatic encephalopathy.

daleerin24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#22 daleerin24
Member since 2005 • 911 Posts

The discussion headline "Was told today in one of my classes that protein doesn't help" but what doesnt it help?

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Locutus_Picard

*ureum

typo, GS dont let me edit posts :P

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
Unless you're a workout warrior and are constantly in the gym, then you should be getting all the protein you need from your diet. I had the same thing happen to me. I had a workout program going and was going to start taking protein shakes after my workouts, but when I asked my Nutrition professor, he said it wasn't needed. Americans eat too much protein as it is. He pointed out that it can actually lead to the opposite effect. Protein provides calories that you have to burn off, so you can actually gain weight if you're not exercising enough to cover the added calories. strope
Why on earth would you take additional protein if you didnt want to gain weight? my god....
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

OK, here's the thing. Your teacher is pretty much right in one respect. I think what he meant to say is that if you intake too much protein AT ONE TIME, it will be a waste since the body can only "absorb" around 30-50 g of protein at one shot (55 kg MAX for very few people based on body build and size). So, after your exercise, the most your body will "keep" is probably about 50 g. You are right that after exercise is a good time to consume protein - your muscles are short on amino acids and other nutrients due to the intense physical activity.

Basically, it is a waste to consume vast amounts of protein in one shot - in that case you will piss it all out. However, if you have a high daily protein intake, and you spread out your periods of protein consumption (instead of taking 100g at one sitting, take approx 33 g across 6-7 hrs), then the efficiency will increase regarding how much protein your body utilizes. Your teacher is right that protein is not stored - as a protein. If too much protein (protein is 4 kcal per gram - same as a carb) is taken in, the amino acids and functional groups that make it a protein in the first place will be excreted, while a lot of the energy storing parts of the macromolecule will be stored as adipose tissue (fat). So all the energy will be stored, but it just will be stored as fat rather than muscle. It's like eating chicken all day (lean white meat chicken breast) - if you continuously eat it your muscles wont become larger and you will just become fat.

Protein is basically used in muscle building since sarcomeres, the functional unit of muscle fibers, are very large and therefore require a lot of building blocks and what not, and one of protein's physiological functions is to serve as the "building blocks" of cellular components. That's why, when you exercise, you heavily exert your muscles and in response, your muscles try to adapt by becoming larger - and to become larger they need protein "building blocks".

Edit - I have something to add. Your teacher said that eating normal protein will be sufficient. This depends - if you go to the gym and work out, but stick with a "normal" protein intake, your gains will most likely be less than if you increased your protein diet. Like I said, protein serves as the building blocks for cellular structures, and some of the biggest cellular structures are sarcomeres of the muscles. So, while your teacher is wrong about eating more protein not helping for muscles, it DOES depend on whether or not you eat it in one shot (the body can only "process" so much protein at one time").

amigo767

Thank you, very informational. I lift religiously so this was kind of new to hear since I had always heard to stock up on the protein. Seems ridiculous how much protein I wasted a couple months ago (like 50 mg after a workout). I've recently been taking 24 mg after a workout so I'll decrease and try to space it out during the day.

amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amigo767

[QUOTE="amigo767"]

Optical_Order

Thank you, very informational. I lift religiously so this was kind of new to hear since I had always heard to stock up on the protein. Seems ridiculous how much protein I wasted a couple months ago (like 50 mg after a workout). I've recently been taking 24 mg after a workout so I'll decrease and try to space it out during the day.

No problem man. 50 g of protein post work-out might not be so bad if you have VERY high muscle mass. I'm guessing the 24 grams ur talking about comes from one serving of whey protein or something similar? In most cases, that should be pretty good as a direct post-workout protein intake - and maybe like an hour or hour 20 min later you can consume some more protein. And you also say you lift religiously. So if you are something like 5'10" and weigh 200+ lbs (in muscle), then a large protein intake after exercise (35+ g even) might be more beneficial (there are many factors). I also forgot to mention that it is also essential to eat carbohydrates after a workout

drj077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 drj077
Member since 2003 • 8375 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

Fightingfan

It is wasted. Your intestinal epithelium is only capable of absorbing so much protein intake as it is an energy rich, but depleting process. In addition, most people make the mistake of drinking protein shakes filled with carbohydrates when they work out believing that they will lose weight. The human body is incapable of such a feet. It always burns through carbohydrates first before turning to fat and muscle. Thus, all those people that desire to get "cut" or "lean", but drink carbohydrate rich energy or protein shakes will never achieve such. It takesanywhere from a half hour to a full hourfor the human body to burn through enough carbohydrates to send it into a mode in which it will burn through the jelly rolls that most Americans have around their mid-section.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

well almost everyone gets far more protein than they need, so he is right in that taking any protein supplement is useless.

amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 amigo767

drj077

It is wasted. Your intestinal epithelium is only capable of absorbing so much protein intake as it is an energy rich, but depleting process. In addition, most people make the mistake of drinking protein shakes filled with carbohydrates when they work out believing that they will lose weight. The human body is incapable of such a feet. It always burns through carbohydrates first before turning to fat and muscle. Thus, all those people that desire to get "cut" or "lean", but drink carbohydrate rich energy or protein shakes will never achieve such. It takesanywhere from a half hour to a full hourfor the human body to burn through enough carbohydrates to send it into a mode in which it will burn through the jelly rolls that most Americans have around their mid-section.

Well, carbohydrate intake is a mistake if one is trying to lose weight. However, the TC said he lifted religiously, aka he works out to bulk up. Replenishing carbohydrates after a workout is pretty important for that case.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

It's for those who can't get the amount of protein they need in food so they take supplements. Many working out supplements are actually beneficial (like creatine) but you can get enough of any supplement if you eat properly.

If you however can't get the nutrition you need then your results when working out will be lacking so that is why people take supplements in the first place.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

WreckEm711

Not true at all. The body will absorb all protein but only use so much. Around 95% of all protein entering the body will be absorbed. How much used is unknown and nobody knows.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
I know that extra protein is converted to fat. According to Health class, anyway.
Masterx1220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Masterx1220
Member since 2005 • 2426 Posts

[QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

[QUOTE="amigo767"]

amigo767

No problem man. 50 g of protein post work-out might not be so bad if you have VERY high muscle mass. I'm guessing the 24 grams ur talking about comes from one serving of whey protein or something similar? In most cases, that should be pretty good as a direct post-workout protein intake - and maybe like an hour or hour 20 min later you can consume some more protein. And you also say you lift religiously. So if you are something like 5'10" and weigh 200+ lbs (in muscle), then a large protein intake after exercise (35+ g even) might be more beneficial (there are many factors). I also forgot to mention that it is also essential to eat carbohydrates after a workout

amigo your good, you definitely know what your talking about. are you a nutritionist?

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

I read in Men's Health that once you reach 33g of protein, any extra is arbitrary. (I assume this is for average sized people)

Edit: I guess Amigo already answered the question...

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

You can only use so much protein a day. That is what I think he meant, because whey protein for example does help for lifting if you aren't reaching your maximum protein in your daily diet already.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Locutus_Picard
I know that extra protein is converted to fat. According to Health class, anyway.rcignoni
You should quit that class ASAP. I'm not a full-flegded biochemist but I can detect BS in biochemistry when I see it. Ask what enzymes and/or pathways they are referring to.
yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
Well, since (as far as we know) our muscles do not have the same capabilities as replicators in Star Trek, they need protein in order to create new mass. But your body pisses out a lot of things once it has enough of it (like vitamin C), so that could be true, just Wikipedia it instead of asking the scientists here.