Was the Kaufman family irrisponsible OT???

#1 Edited by Ariabed (1123 posts) -

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/world/ill-infant-rescued-stalled-sailboat-pacific-ocean-article-1.1747474

Were this family irresponsible to take a 3 and a 1 year old on a round the world trip on a sailboat? The younger child had just recovered from being very ill and although cleared by doctors to travel surely her little body wouldn't have been up for such an ordeal.

What do you think OT?

#2 Posted by ferrari2001 (16964 posts) -

Modern day ocean travel, especially in a boat as nice as the one the family was using is relatively safe. Parents take risks with their kids everyday and they are never perfectly safe, hell just taking them for a ride in a car is dangerous given the amount of terrible drivers out there. They wanted to sail around the world so they gave it a shot, they just got unlucky.

#3 Edited by roulettethedog (10977 posts) -

These parents are selfish and dumb.

#4 Edited by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Salmonella is not cancer or some unstable lifelong illness. If you survive salmonella, you're basically fine. Besides, they're on a boat, it's not like they're trekking through the mountains. She can sleep all day if she needs to.

What if it was an adult who got sick here, or the other child? Would you be saying the same thing? Sickness sometimes happens. The same panic would ensue if anyone in that family were to become sick and they weren't able to get help right away. They're not irresponsible, it's just unlucky that someone would fall ill while so far from land.

#5 Posted by Ariabed (1123 posts) -

@XilePrincess:

"The same panic would ensue if anyone in that family were to become sick and they weren't able to get help right away"

I think the sickness of your one year old child would Induce slightly more pannic than if your partner or other much older person got ill especially after the one year old has just revovered from salmonella which can be fatal. Babies little bodies are not as strong as a adults or a older child, so and older person is able to cope better than a 1yr old when becoming seriously ill, the baby had just dodged one bullet and they put the baby back in the firing line, and look what happened the baby got seriously ill again.

#6 Posted by MrGeezer (56504 posts) -
@XilePrincess said:

it's just unlucky that someone would fall ill while so far from land.

It wasn't bad luck that took them so far from land. That was a deliberate decision made under the knowledge that sickness was a very real possibility.

#7 Posted by Ariabed (1123 posts) -

I can understand having a family day out at sea in the family sail boat, but going around the world with two very young children is crazy talk.

#8 Edited by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@XilePrincess:

"The same panic would ensue if anyone in that family were to become sick and they weren't able to get help right away"

I think the sickness of your one year old child would Induce slightly more pannic than if your partner or other much older person got ill especially after the one year old has just revovered from salmonella which can be fatal. Babies little bodies are not as strong as a adults or a older child, so and older person is able to cope better than a 1yr old when becoming seriously ill, the baby had just dodged one bullet and they put the baby back in the firing line, and look what happened the baby got seriously ill again.

Perhaps, but the child lived through the salmonella. The doctor, a medical professional, would have taken the time to make sure the child had SOME recovery time before clearing them for travel, don't you think?

The kid was not 'back in the firing line'. They weren't feeding her raw chicken. She got a rash and a fever, which isn't anything to do with salmonella. Could be anything from a reaction to a food to chemicals in the water of whatever port city they stopped in to do laundry bothering her skin, or it could be something like roseola which she could have gotten from someone coughing near her. Who knows. They'd literally have to keep the kid in a bubble to prevent illness, and if it were some kind of viral disease, there would be no better place to keep an immunocompromised child than on a boat, mostly AWAY from other people.

The point I was trying to make is that in any situation where a member of your family gets sick and you don't have immediate access to medical care, you would panic.

@MrGeezer said:

It wasn't bad luck that took them so far from land. That was a deliberate decision made under the knowledge that sickness was a very real possibility.

Sickness is a possibility whether you stay home or you go anywhere. My grandparents went to Mexico and got food poisoning from food they brought with them. My great uncle went to Egypt, had a stroke and DIED. I went to Disneyland in the middle of summer, got heatstroke and barfed nonstop for two days. My cousin went on a cruise and ended up with the flu.

You can get sick ANYWHERE. Sickness is possible everywhere, and just because something can happen doesn't mean you should never go anywhere. And what are you supposed to do when sailing around the world, stay lifeboat-paddling distance from land at all times?

#9 Posted by airshocker (29858 posts) -

I don't think it's any of my business what a parent does with their child so long as they're not unreasonably endangering them.

#10 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (581 posts) -

First of all, irrisponsible?

@airshocker said:

I don't think it's any of my business what a parent does with their child so long as they're not unreasonably endangering them.

Secondly, I agree with this.

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (56504 posts) -

@XilePrincess said:

Sickness is a possibility whether you stay home or you go anywhere. My grandparents went to Mexico and got food poisoning from food they brought with them. My great uncle went to Egypt, had a stroke and DIED. I went to Disneyland in the middle of summer, got heatstroke and barfed nonstop for two days. My cousin went on a cruise and ended up with the flu.

You can get sick ANYWHERE. Sickness is possible everywhere, and just because something can happen doesn't mean you should never go anywhere. And what are you supposed to do when sailing around the world, stay lifeboat-paddling distance from land at all times?

You can get shot anywhere, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna take my goddamn baby down the worst crime-ridden alley in the country unless I've got absolutely no other options. If my uncle decides to accompany me down that alley, fine. He's a grown-ass adult, just like me. He can make his own decisions and his bad decisions are on him.

Meanwhile, a baby is A FUCKING BABY. It has no say in the matter, they tend to get sick, and it's irresponsible to drag them along on round-the-world tours that require them to be in that kind of risk just for the sake of the parents' thrills.

#12 Edited by Ariabed (1123 posts) -

@XilePrincess: " She got a rash and a fever, which isn't anything to do with salmonella"

When did I say her illness had something to do with salmonella?

"The point I was trying to make is that in any situation where a member of your family gets sick and you don't have immediate access to medical care, you would panic."

Yeh and I'm saying you will panic a whole lot more when it's your ONE year old little baby who has only just gotten better from a potentially fatal illness.