Was The Hadron Collider A Monumental Waste Of Money?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Hello. Today I was watching StoryVille on BBCiplayer and it had a documentary charting the "The Hadron Collider". I'm sure most of you have heard of it.

This cost billions and billions of dollars. Basically to find Higgs Boson (or god particle) with it's density indicating if we are in a "multiverse" or if the universe is "supersymmetry". The gist of it seemed to be, if it was 140, it would be a multiverse, suggesting we wouldn't get anymore particle elements to find. And that the universe would be chaotic and eventually die out. Or supersymmetry which would indicate a structure with more elements we are unaware of.

Anyway, as this documentary got to it's end and I watched the scientists patting each other the back, cheering at finding this thing through a spike surge on a graph. The thought "what a fucking waste of money" came to mind. After you find out one or the other, what then? How does this benefit society in anyway? Who gives a shit?

How do you feel about masses of money and time being put into such as project? Is it worth it to find out the origins of teh unvierse? or would more immediate matters (e.g. poverty, jobs, arguably useful technology) be better spent? For me the answer is pretty clear.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

No it's not

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I don't know. I'm not a scientist and thus not qualified to answer this question.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

No. Finding the Higgs Boson is not the only purpose of the collider, nor is it the only collider in the world. These machines provide invaluable insight into the subatomic world. So far the Hadron Collider has provided years and years worth of data for scientists to investigate. It gives us a brief glimpse into what the universe is made of. It help us to better understand the working nature of forces and it shows a brief view of the beginnings of the universe. You can't put a dollar value on the amount of knowledge that can be learned from such a machine. Yes social programs are important but you cannot advance as a society if all of your time and resources go towards social programs. Science, the arts, literature are all important facets of human advancement.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It fulfilled it's goal. It helped push science forward.

It was a crucial investment in the future of humanity. One that more people should recognize.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

We live in a modern world filled with the end-result practical applications of advancements achieved through science that was (once upon a time) purely fundamental research in origin.

"Current applied research often relies on past fundamental research. Isaac Newton wasn’t trying to help put satellites in orbit or a man on the moon when he developed his laws of motion, but NASA engineers rely on those laws. Mathematician G. H. Hardy proclaimed that “pure” mathematics, and especially his own field of number theory, was “useless”, which Hardy considered a virtue because that meant that number theory could never be applied to any “warlike purpose”. But it turns out that number theory is central to public key cryptography, and Hardy’s other example of useless mathematics–Einsten’s equations of relativity–was key to the development of nuclear weapons. And it’s not just fundamental physics and mathematics that turns out to be highly applicable down the road. Genetic algorithms, a routine way to solve practical optimization problems, ultimately derive from Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection. It would be trivially easy to keep citing examples here, but you get the point. And no, I don’t think you can argue that we already have all the fundamental knowledge we’re ever likely to need, so that while funding fundamental research was worthwhile in the past, it no longer is."

So I would argue that pure science research, without end-use practical application in mind, can and does benefit humanity in the long run in ways we can't even conceive of now.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

in 1924:

semiconductors: what a big fucking waste of money... 'myright?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, who bear the cost of the collider?

I mean think it this way, if we are going to put money into science until ALL OTHER humanity's problems are solved then you are never gonna start with that research.

Aside from the obvious reality that most of these scientific endeavors eventually help us....solve humanity's problems!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

How will this help us though? Lets say they find more particles. What then? Aside from understanding, is that it? Most of the general public probably wont give a shit. As joe smoe it's vaguely interesting to me. But that's about the extent of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

How will this help us though? Lets say they find more particles. What then? Aside from understanding, is that it? Most of the general public probably wont give a shit. As joe smoe it's vaguely interesting to me. But that's about the extent of it.

Something doesn't need to have immediate value to be important to mankind. A lot of great things we have today were discovered by accident.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

So basically most people have no idea what good it'll do but it was expensive as **** so it must be good "because science". Fair enough =P

I'm all for investing in science but spending billions now on something that might be useful eventually is a bit hard to swallow.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

@korvus:

Near as I can tell, no one here is saying that. What they are saying is that a large amount of the modern world we now enjoy comes from discoveries made which at the time had no practical applications in mind. Ever had an X-ray done?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@dsmccracken: As far as I can tell, we're saying exactly the same thing. A lot of money was spent on something that may have unknown practical applications in the future. I wasn't questioning the use of it in the long run, just saying that right now it doesn't seem to have any.