Was our teacher being racist or it it just me?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

@V3rciS said:

@Pirate700 said:

@crazyguy111 said:

He already knows I'm not from Africa.

Then why did he call you, as you said, an African kid if he knows that you aren't African?

Why if he was indeed born in Africa would that justify the teachers actions? He is clearly a racist but he tries to hide it as much as possible, I mean he is just trying not to be way too harsh with racist comments and make it sound as if he was simply "joking" but deep inside I do believe he is racist or at least disliking black people.

PS: I'm white and still I've to tell you that indeed A LOT of whites are still discriminating black people, especially rednecks. Just leave south, move somewhere else. Of course things are getting better each generation, but racism is still there and will remain for quite some time, that's why we truly need to abolish this nationalistic stupidity and try to embrace globalization. Until we understand that we're all human species and we need to stand united as humans without stupid country borders to dictate all our actions. (It's supposed to be a joke but I truly believe that this will happen only if we're invaded by another species, only then humanity will stand united).

United we stand, divided we fall

-Pink Floyd

btw you experienced racism in UK?

This. It's surprising just how much racism and nationalism have in common.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#52 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Whether he's racist or just an idiot trying to be funny, you should never let yourself feel embarrassed/humiliated by somebody else's ignorance/idiocy. He's either an idiot or an ass and neither of those is on you and I'm sure the people around him know that too (or at least I hope they do), so he's making himself look bad, not you.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#53 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

Hey, I have an English teacher who said some pretty racist things to me. I'm black, I was born in the USA, and lived most of my life in the U.K, but later me and my family moved back to the USA. Lately he's been saying some racist things to me, for example he said I was his favorite "African kid." Once we were seeing a movie set in the 1800's, and my teacher said " I bet your parents were in Africa while this was happening"In front of the class and I was embarrassed. There was another time when he was talking about how even poor Americans could afford a car and then asked me " can poor Africans afford a car?"

He's pretty cool, but I strongly dislike him now because of what he's been saying. Do you think our teacher was being racist or am I overacting? Thoughts? I live in the "Deep South" btw

He might be. Talk to your principal.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@V3rciS:

Here's a belated greetings dedicate especially for you

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@shellcase86 said:

@Pirate700 said:

Doesn't sound racist to me. Just stupid.

Ditto. Insenstive and ignorant for sure. But unlless is comes out as vile hate talk, he's not a full-on racist.

What, so unless he's wearing a white hood and burning crosses on someone's lawn it's not racist? This kind of logic is exactly what's wrong with this country. If you're making comments that male someone feel excluded because of their race then you're racist, period. You don't need to fucking lynch someone before you cross the racist threshold, racism is racism and there's no need to try and hide it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Pirate700 said:

DreamingMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 DreamingMind
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

This teacher sounds ignorant, impolite and perhaps covertly racist. I would bring up the issue with my parents and maybe the dean if I were you.

You're feeling offended by him, but let's also think of what the other kids in your class are taking from his behavior. In my eyes, that guy promotes that kind of stupid behavior towards black people.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If the teacher's remarks are making you uncomfortable, then you better tell him to stop. Don't let it snowball out of control.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

The last comment sounded racist, but the others absolutely not, but he very much seems to be a dick.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

If the teacher's remarks are making you uncomfortable, then you better tell him to stop. Don't let it snowball out of control.

This, if continues talk to parents and princepal.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

@hippiesanta said:

@V3rciS:

Hahaha... you really that stupid? It's like teasing a vegetarian with a piece of meat.
God is dead... ;)

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Assuming you are telling the truth accurately, he is singling you out based on your skin colour, which is racist. Private talk after class, let him know how you feel.

If it's any comfort, he doesn't sound like a hateful racist, just an ignorant one; doesn't have any real qualms with black people. More or less stuck in a backwards way of thinking.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

OP, You're not dealing with racism per se, just racial insensitivity. Your teacher's comments are actually really anti-social, rude, and inconsiderate. Teachers have important jobs and they aren't allowed to exude such qualities in the class room. The system providing that teacher a job would take your criticisms on him very seriously.

@LJS9502_basic said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Based on my twenty five years of life, I've come to the conclusion that most non-Blacks are racist toward Blacks (though not all to the same degree). At the very least, a non-Black person will be selectively racist towards Blacks, deeming some Blacks good (i.e. attractive, intelligent, respectable, etc), while deeming the rest to be bad (as if being bad is the default state of Blacks); essentially, such people see good Black people as aberrations. There are some people who will become angry and frightened at the mere sight or presence of a Black person. As for your teacher, he's what I'd call a mildly racist individual, meaning that he'll socialize with Blacks, but condescend to them; his racism is benign and non-hostile.

Thanks for demonstrating racism....

Indeed. Based on 22 years of life, I've witnessed exponential amounts more of affirmative action than I have witnessed genuine racism. Perhaps it's because I don't live in the Bible belt?

Sounds more like BluRayHiDef isn't accepting of the cultural conditions leading to the stereotype willingly perpetuated by black people in popular culture. Black people acting thuggish ("bad") is simply a more common sight for many people than seeing white people acting thuggish. This leads them to be always wary or cautious about such stereotypes. It's not because black people are inherently bad - it's because black people have been subject to more poverty than other races due to poor social situations spanning over the last hundreds of years. It doesn't help that much black popular culture glorifies the very things that brings them negative stereotypes - and it's only popular culture because black people want it to be. Is it wrong to create expectations based on reoccuring patterns witnessed? I mean, BluRayHiDef is doing it right here so it can't be that wrong.

Being intimidated by the sight of a black person isn't racist. Racism is the inherent belief that one race is superior than another. Racism doesn't have the slightest bit to do with it - instead it has everything to do with the status quo of our society and culture. We live in a society where minorities on average don't have as much as white people. They are born into worse situations, making their lives more difficult, leading them to make poor choices. Accepting that status quo isn't racism - it's reality.

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

Not sure if he's genuinely racist, but it sounds like he is trying to be a smartass. You got to think of something witty to say back.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@megagene said:

Racist? That I don't know. Inappropriate and tactless? Yes, definitely.

This. I don't see him announcing that any race is superior or inferior.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

Being intimidated by the sight of a black person isn't racist. Racism is the inherent belief that one race is superior than another. Racism doesn't have the slightest bit to do with it - instead it has everything to do with the status quo of our society and culture. We live in a society where minorities on average don't have as much as white people. They are born into worse situations, making their lives more difficult, leading them to make poor choices. Accepting that status quo isn't racism - it's reality.

a fine line to tread, especially without getting into the reasons why certain social groups do not preform as well as others. Too many are content at seeing crime/poverty statistics for black people, and make a blanket assumptions based on that, without getting into the different nuances. Anyone with is not racist knows it is ridiculous to think that there is some kind of biological reason for it, so there is other factors that need to be paid attention to (culture of black people/ education/ population density etc.). Being scared at the mere sight black people is at the very least xenophobic.

MattPeters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MattPeters
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

I don't think he's racist for saying those things, I think he's racist because he's from the "Deep South" hahaha ;)

In any case he just seems like he's a dick, which is fine if you're good friends (I mean after all you're his favorite Black Kid from the jungles of Africa). Words shouldn't mean shit to anybody if you want to become a stronger person. It's what he is saying and how he is using those words that is important. If you feel like he is clowning on you all the time in class, I would let him know.

I'd wait until after class, say you want to tell him something in private and just straight up say "Could you stop making fun of me for being black, I'm starting to feel embarrassed". If you act personal with him then I'm sure he'll feel for you and adjust his behavior. If you make it like you're enemies, "You need to stop this, I'm going to get the school and my parents involved" then you both lose.

If it doesn't go away you need to go to someone you trust, like another teacher that you are closest with and ask what to do (someone who isn't going to be too bias). It's about talking to the right people. Being on Nancy Grace shouldn't be the goal, learning in a comfortable environment should be. Perhaps change teachers? Every person wants to change the world themselves, it's just not going to happen, deal with that dickhead and just move on brother. Oops, I mean Siblin' O' mine, damnit, uhh is "dude" okay? Lmao, just a joke.

I'd never clown you in front of a bunch of people that aren't our close friends and certainly not if I knew you weren't having any fun with it. I'm not a teacher though, I'm just an asshole with a bunch of lax friends of nearly all races (white, black, asian, middle eastern and mexican). HAHAHA sorry I couldn't resist, they are just jokes and humor is nearly essential to overcoming racial sensitivity. It could be location though, people here in the NW are pretty easy going. I would hate to live in a place that made me feel so alienated.

Breaking down barriers with others is a great way to make close friends. If you were one on one with me, I'd like you to say anything you want without worrying about anything. The teacher making those comments in a class full of white people?... SOUNDS A BIT SKETCH, lol, even coming from an asshole like me. <3

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@V3rciS said:

@hippiesanta said:

@V3rciS:

Hahaha... you really that stupid? It's like teasing a vegetarian with a piece of meat.

God is dead... ;)

I didn't say god is alive ... i'm just not into atheist bigotry ....lol

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

if it's racist, then you punch him in the head!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

@theone86 said:

@shellcase86 said:

@Pirate700 said:

Ditto. Insenstive and ignorant for sure. But unlless is comes out as vile hate talk, he's not a full-on racist.

What, so unless he's wearing a white hood and burning crosses on someone's lawn it's not racist? This kind of logic is exactly what's wrong with this country. If you're making comments that male someone feel excluded because of their race then you're racist, period. You don't need to fucking lynch someone before you cross the racist threshold, racism is racism and there's no need to try and hide it.

I agree it need not be something as extreme as a cross burning on the lawn. But I don't see it as racist if there is no ill-will/hate behind it. Sounds like the teacher needs to be sat down and converse about his misconceptions. From what TC posted, he didn't seem spiteful/hateful. To me racism = hateful behavior and speech.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

While I never attended such a school, my uncle who attended Russian school about 30 years ago told me some stories where students and teachers fought physically for grades. The fights involved flying chairs, knife stabbing and pen stabbing which was perfectly normal for that time. And you're complaining about that? Seriously, fox news troll like the poster above me says...