Warning: do not learn to touch type

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

First off, it's a fact you can type just as fast as touch typists without touch typing.

I'm just saying this because RSI/cargal tunnel syndrome sucks. I used to wake up with both arms paralyzed. It's no joke. Touch typing can seriously mess your hands and arms up. My RSI is kicking in again and now I'm going to have to find a chiropractor.

I thought I'd just warn any youngins out there who are being taught to touch type to tell their teacher that they don't want to live a life of paralysis just to type "correctly."

#2 Posted by konvikt_17 (22090 posts) -

no problem here. ive mastered telekinesis typing.

#3 Posted by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -

yeah, i've got CTS as well. had to get a series of pro-biotic injections in my hand, then wrap it in a brace for a few weeks, and i still have to wear the brace once in a while.

i don't touch type though. i got CTS while i worked docking float planes, the vibration from the engines is what cause it.

#4 Edited by Celldrax (14527 posts) -

'it's a fact you can type just as fast as touch typists without touch typing.'

Uh, touch-typing is a pretty necessary skill for some desk jobs and way faster is you're copying from a piece of paper or whatever.

I've personally never bothered with it though, as I have no real need for it.

#5 Posted by Byshop (10918 posts) -

Touch typing literally just means being able to type without looking at the keys, although using the "home row" and traditional finger placement is generally how this is accomplished. It's not the only way to be able to touch type and the ability to touch type is not inherently harmful. I average around 80 WPM without using a traditional typing method and I get along just fine. Keyboard orientation and repetitive mouse usage are the culprit, not knowing how to type.

-Byshop

#6 Posted by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

@Byshop said:

using the "home row" and traditional finger placement is generally how this is accomplished.

Well, that's what's usually meant by touch typing. Technically speaking any kind of typing is touch typing because you can't type without touching the keys, as someone so sarcastically pointed out.

Yea, not everyone who touch types is going to get it, but just because you do "it" with someone HIV positive doesn't mean you're going to get infected either.

People like Tom Clancy typed faster than most with only two fingers. i don't believe you need to type with the home row method to type in excess of 60wpm. I've seen people do it.

#7 Posted by Byshop (10918 posts) -

Well, that's what's usually meant by touch typing. Technically speaking any kind of typing is touch typing because you can't type without touching the keys, as someone so sarcastically pointed out.

Yea, not everyone who touch types is going to get it, but just because you do "it" with someone HIV positive doesn't mean you're going to get infected either.

People like Tom Clancy typed faster than most with only two fingers. i don't believe you need to type with the home row method to type in excess of 60wpm. I've seen people do it.

Learning to type equates to having unprotected sex with someone who has a life threatening STD? Do I really have to explain what an idiotic comparison that is?

Of course you can type fast using other methods, I just said that I do like 10 minutes ago. Did you miss that part?

-Byshop

#8 Edited by foxhound_fox (86579 posts) -

Repetitive stress injuries occur when a person doesn't take proper breaks and stretches their muscles/tendons.

#9 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36686 posts) -

What does touch typing have to do with this?
Somehow looking at the keys will prevent all stress related injuries?

#10 Posted by sukraj (21450 posts) -

I wish I could fly

#11 Edited by LJS9502_basic (149319 posts) -

If that is your concern...don't type....play games or work with a computer. Etc.

#12 Edited by HuggyBear1020 (445 posts) -

The only people who have health-related issues with this are people whose jobs require a LOT of typing. An easy way to prevent health issues is to take a 10 minute break every hour.

#13 Posted by Detroit222 (5267 posts) -

I learned to touch type when I was 14. I'm 64, and been using it at work for nearly 45 years and except for a bit of stiffness now and then I'm fine. You can get carpel-tunnel from playing video games continuously doncha know.

It's probably partially genetic and partially because you need to take more breaks.

#14 Edited by rgsniper1 (9338 posts) -

I "touch type" about 80 to 90 wpm. Use a spilt microsoft keyboard and don't have issues. been typing this way for about 23 years.

I should also mention that I type all day for my job.

#15 Edited by KHAndAnime (13090 posts) -

@chaoscougar1 said:

What does touch typing have to do with this?

Somehow looking at the keys will prevent all stress related injuries?

Yes.

Any pro's out there like me that touch-type using WSAD as their reference?