Want to learn how to play guitar

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 kuenbre
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts
I want to learn how to play guitar, but I don't know what to get. Should I start with acoustic or electric. Anyone who plays guitar have any suggestions?
RapIsAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RapIsAwesome
Member since 2007 • 1919 Posts
Nope, i don't play the guitar.
Chairman-Yin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chairman-Yin
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
i started with acoustic guitars. but i think it depends on what kind of music you ulitmately want to play. if you want to play death metal and start with an acoustic, you'd have to get an electric guitar later.
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Get a Martin.
dawgsfan1447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 dawgsfan1447
Member since 2004 • 5054 Posts
The smart thing to do is probably to go with acoustic first. It's more difficult, so it'll be harder to get going, but once you do you'll be even better on electric. I have been playing for 3 1/2 years or so if you care for my merit on giving this answer.
kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kuenbre
How much harder is an acoustic to learn than electric? Why is it necesarily harder? I've heard it was by all my friends that play but they never explained why
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

How much harder is an acoustic to learn than electric? Why is it necesarily harder? I've heard it was by all my friends that play but they never explained whykuenbre

Good sounding notes are much harder to get out of an acoustic than an electric because of the strings.

Electric guitars don't take much to get a good sound out of a string. You can tap on an electric but not on an acoustic.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
If you don't already know how to read music, start out with Guitar tabs. Tabular notation is much easier to learn than standard music notation, the only real problem with using Tabs is that it doesn't account for timing.
kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuenbre
I know how to read tabs and I'm learning how to read music, I'm just not sure what to start with I keep getting an even balance between electric and acoustic. I'm leaning abit towards electric
EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EboyLOL
Member since 2006 • 5358 Posts
Get an Acoustic guitar and start lessons with a teacher.
qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 qubert27
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts

get a crappy acoustic to start out with. because you might not proceed well. or never get into it and then realize that you just wasted about 300$+ on an electric and an amp. and if you get an acoutsit. try and get the one with the lightest strings. because when i started. i struggled with being able to push the strings down on the neck. and dont get lessons. they area complete waste.

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxDustmanxx
Member since 2007 • 2598 Posts
I started playing guitar not too long ago,i started with acoustic because thats all i had.Im getting an electric for christmas though,and i can tell you im glad i started with acoustic.Its much harder,but i can read tab,so when i get on the electric,it should be no prob.Good luck man.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Thechaninator

get a crappy acoustic to start out with. because you might not proceed well. or never get into it and then realize that you just wasted about 300$+ on an electric and an amp. and if you get an acoutsit. try and get the one with the lightest strings. because when i started. i struggled with being able to push the strings down on the neck. and dont get lessons. they area complete waste.

qubert27

Learning proper technique is very important so a teacher is always a good idea. The only reason I am not taking lessons right now is a lack of time and money.....

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xxDustmanxx

qubert27

Im learning on my own,just get lessons from the net,and get a couple good books.Also remember to practice everyday.

I had no problem pushing down the strings on the acoustic,at first it was slightly painful,but now i dont even notice.

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MotherSuperior
Member since 2003 • 3745 Posts
Doesn't really matter. Acoustic builds up your muscles and callouses more than electric so you might want to start with that but it doesn't matter.
qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"]

Thechaninator

Learning proper technique is very important so a teacher is always a good idea. The only reason I am not taking lessons right now is a lack of time and money.....

no. it isnt. i never took lessons. and my technique is perfectly fine. just do both up and downstrokes and alternate pick. you should be fine. and every guitarist that takes lessons sounds the same. thats why i advise not taking them. youll get a more unique sound. even if you arent very good.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Buy Guitar Hero
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TyrantDragon55
[QUOTE="qubert27"]

Thechaninator

Lessons aren't always necessary though, my acoustic guitar came with a video that had a few basic lessons and I just taught myself from there.

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xxDustmanxx
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

no. it isnt. i never took lessons. and my technique is perfectly fine. just do both up and downstrokes and alternate pick. you should be fine. and every guitarist that takes lessons sounds the same. thats why i advise not taking them. youll get a more unique sound. even if you arent very good.

Yeah,id rather learn on my own,I have to ask though,since im still somewhat of a noob,whats alternate pick?

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MotherSuperior

qubert27

You don't have to do alternate picking, it's really personal taste.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"]

xxDustmanxx

well you obviously wont notice now. but the strings on my first guitar i played were about in the fourteenth guage. it took me a month or so to really get anywhere.

and also. even if its not your style (thread maker). there is a metallica song called "welcome home". it was the first song i learned. its a perfect one to learn for beginners. it teaches finger position. harmonics. hammers. pulls. just a suggestion.

Im learning on my own,just get lessons from the net,and get a couple good books.Also remember to practice everyday.

I had no problem pushing down the strings on the acoustic,at first it was slightly painful,but now i dont even notice.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thechaninator

qubert27

Uhhh lessons aren't going to effect your sound. They are meant to teach you how to properly play so you don't injure yourself and so you get the best sound possible. Oh and being good is the biggest part of learning guitar. I can't wait to thrash around on a electric guitar.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

MotherSuperior

if you want to be quick. yes. its fairly important.

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MotherSuperior

xxDustmanxx

Yeah,id rather learn on my own,I have to ask though,since im still somewhat of a noob,whats alternate pick?

Downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, upstroke, etc... Some people do all downstroke, all upstroke, and sometimes it's random or whatever is easiest after the previous note. You should develope your own picking patter to whatever is most comfortable.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
man ive been playing guitar for like 3 years and all i can do is power chords and octaves lol (im a piano player)
kuenbre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuenbre

Well everyone is suggesting acoustic here so I think I will start with acoustic I've been looking and I think I found a good cheap one what do you guuys think?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-F335-Acoustic-Guitar-100593623-i1166366.gc

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MotherSuperior
[QUOTE="MotherSuperior"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

Uhhh, some of the most famouse guitar gods do not follow alternate picking.

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xxDustmanxx

Well everyone is suggesting acoustic here so I think I will start with acoustic I've been looking and I think I found a good cheap one what do you guuys think?

kuenbre

Go for it.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 qubert27

Thechaninator

Uhhh lessons aren't going to effect your sound. They are meant to teach you how to properly play so you don't injure yourself and so you get the best sound possible. Oh and being good is the biggest part of learning guitar. I can't wait to thrash around on a electric guitar.

well. youve been brainwashed. i never said anything about sound. STYLE. ive never once injured myself and have always got an amazing sound without lessons. and talent is nothing. take greg ginn. he has an amazing rapid-pick style and he never took lessons and had only been playing for about a year when he joined black flag. you dont need talent to be a good guitarist.

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxDustmanxx
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

well. youve been brainwashed. i never said anything about sound. STYLE. ive never once injured myself and have always got an amazing sound without lessons. and talent is nothing. take greg ginn. he has an amazing rapid-pick style and he never took lessons and had only been playing for about a year when he joined black flag. you dont need talent to be a good guitarist.

All you need is the passion baby!!!!

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MotherSuperior

kuenbre

That's a fairly average first guitar. Probably good to learn on but once you develope technique you should upgrade.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="MotherSuperior"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

MotherSuperior

meh. well if i really think. i only alternate pick during certain parts of a solo or if im playing a scale-like riff. and im not saying if you dont do it you will suck. you just wont be as fast and i know a kid that doesnt alternate and he is fairly mediocre because of that.

kylekatarn10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 kylekatarn10
Member since 2005 • 2818 Posts

I want to learn how to play guitar, but I don't know what to get. Should I start with acoustic or electric. Anyone who plays guitar have any suggestions?kuenbre

I do, too. Also, your level/post-count ratio is probably the most ****ed up I've ever seen. Worse than mine, lol.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TyrantDragon55
Oh yeah, another really easy song for beginners is 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes. It was the first song I ever learned.
MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MotherSuperior
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

xxDustmanxx

All you need is the passion baby!!!!

Exactly. If you have passion to learn and develop that is all you need. I never had a teacher and I consider myself an intermediate player. I also play piano.

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EboyLOL

qubert27

Do not listen to this. If you wish to get a proper insight into theory, then taking lessons is a virtual 'must'. Knowing how to alternate pick is not a very big accomplishment. It is also rather idiotic to say that every guitarist that takes lessons sounds the same since the simple fact is, unless you are deaf, they do not.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

If lessons effect your style then you had no style to begin with, sorry.

BTW there is a huge logical fallacy in your post. Just because someone else has had success without lessons does not mean thatsomeone else will. Lessons are never a bad idea as long you have the time and money.

MotherSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MotherSuperior
[QUOTE="MotherSuperior"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="MotherSuperior"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

meh. well if i really think. i only alternate pick during certain parts of a solo or if im playing a scale-like riff. and im not saying if you dont do it you will suck. you just wont be as fast and i know a kid that doesnt alternate and he is fairly mediocre because of that.

If you are playing a scale or a complicated solo then alternate picking can be beneficial but if you are comfortable with a different picking style then it wouldn't matter.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

Thechaninator

BTW there is a huge logical fallacy in your post. Just because someone else has had success without lessons does not mean thatsomeone else will. Lessons are never a bad idea as long you have the time and money.

knowing how to read music and the names of chords gets you where? maybe at first get a lesson or two to get some technique. thats all id suggest.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

qubert27

knowing how to read music and the names of chords gets you where? maybe at first get a lesson or two to get some technique. thats all id suggest.

Knowing every note and what they sound like and knowing proper technique is everything to being a good guitarist, especially if you wish to make your own music. That is going to take more than just a couple lessons....

EboyLOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 EboyLOL

qubert27
A solid backround in music theory, which of course means absolutely nothing :roll:
qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 qubert27
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

Thechaninator

Knowing every note and what they sound like and knowing proper technique is everything to being a good guitarist, especially if you wish to make your own music. That is going to take more than just a couple lessons....

i knew just after a year of playing what every note was like and how to make a good riff. i agree with you though. to an extent. not everyone progressed like me. im not patting myself on the back. but. most people would suggest lessons and im not going to get anywhere attempting to persuade. and i have to leave anyway.

DiscoBurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DiscoBurn
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
[QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="qubert27"]

Thechaninator

I've been playing guitar for about seven years now, and consider myself a fairly accomplished musician as far as high school students go. I started with some lessons, but not your typical boring kind. I started out learning tabs, playing songs I liked to play, and as soon as I got any good at all I dropped all lessons completely. I started writing, and havn't stopped yet. In the past few years I've started learning more theory out of interest, not out of necessity, and I'll admit, it's great to know. I'm a better player and writer because of it. That being said, I'm very glad I spend so many years avoiding theory. If you don't know what you're doing, you're forced to figure it out yourself, which means you have to be creative. It can greatly affect your "style".

Whether you start with theory and bail on it later, or start without it and learn it once you've become comfortable playing, it doesn't matter, but I'd say it'satleast asimportant to play without thinking about theory as it is playing with it.

Ze_ALEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ze_ALEX
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
acoustic yah