Want to go to college but not sure how.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chaz1911
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

I am 18 years old and was bullied very severly at school and was home schooled most of my childhood. beacause of the constant physical and mental stress i was in a bad way for a while but am dooing ok now have a part time job and am starting to make some friends. Been thinking a lot lately about college and think id like to go but have no qualifications at all and not sure how to go about applying could anyone give me any advice please?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Do you have a HS diploma?
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chaz1911

no have done no exams or tests at all.

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
Contact the college you want to go to and explain to them how you went about your education. I go to Rutgers University and they allow all kinds of students to enter... you just have to speak to them and show evidence of your education. I am sure other schools have similar options.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Go to the college admissions office and they'll ask for some info so they can find out what your SAT scores were, then you'll have to take entrance exams in English and math. That's about it.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

School, anyone can get into, thus there's a tonne of irresponsible kids in them who don't care for anything other than causing trouble and boasting off how bad their grades are.

College, depending on the campus and the course usually require certain grades to get into, thus near eliminating all the irresponsible idiots.

You'd be fine.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

no have done no exams or tests at all.

chaz1911
You probably need a high school equivalency or something then.
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chaz1911

i kind of just educated myself from 14 onwards with the internet and books. If i did get in worried id be mocked for my lack of education.

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts

i kind of just educated myself from 14 onwards with the internet and books. If i did get in worried id be mocked for my lack of education.

chaz1911
You may be able to get in by passing certain tests that the college/university may offer... maybe not though. You may actually need a GED or something. The only solution is to do research on whatever schools you are interested in going and go out of your way to explain your situation. Also people don't really socialize nearly as much as they do in high school. College is infinitely more difficult, nobody cares about anyone. (In general)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

chaz1911
You didn't have any structured education? How'd your parents get away with that?
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chaz1911

the government sends someone to check up on you once a year but they only need to see a sample of what youve done i was quite depresed at the time and my parents didnt think forceing me to do work when i didnt whant to would help so just did enough work to get them off my back regret it now and fell i missed out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

the government sends someone to check up on you once a year but they only need to see a sample of what youve done i was quite depresed at the time and my parents didnt think forceing me to do work when i didnt whant to would help so just did enough work to get them off my back regret it now and fell i missed out.

chaz1911
You can't go to college unless you finish high school or pass equivalency tests....
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaz1911

would i be able to take these tests via a college and would i have to pay to do so?

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

chaz1911

Umm wow I am surprised the govt allowed your parents to do that...

chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chaz1911

[QUOTE="chaz1911"]

fueled-system

The government dont really give a damn also my parents were just dooing what they thought was best just turns out they were wrong
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

would i be able to take these tests via a college and would i have to pay to do so?

chaz1911
I'm not sure where GED are done. Maybe google your area.
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chaz1911

Sounds like you need a hugGood luck.

riofriob
a hug would be great thanks people forget how important little things like hugs are
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

You can't go to college unless you finish high school or pass equivalency tests....LJS9502_basic

I guess that' s the answer.

Good luck though. You' re in a tough position so be strong.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

Take and pass the GED, go to a community college for a few years, then transfer to a state university. Your situation isn't strange at all. It's a situation many people end up in.

Save as much money as you can while going to community college so you don't have money problems when you later transfer to a real school.

Also, this kind of situation is precisely why homeschooling is a horrible idea. A big part of going to school is socialization.

chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaz1911

Thanks for all the advice will look into the colleges near me hears hoping ill get in

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro. Just remember that there are so many people out there who had worse and its not over until you convince yourself so. Apparently you went through some rough times and missed out on few things so you will have to do extra work and commit yourself to it to catch up. Nevertheless, its not over.
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chaz1911
When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.NiKva
sorry spelling ain't my strong suit but i'm trying my best.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NiKva
[QUOTE="NiKva"]When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.chaz1911

I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously? I knew how to spell "doing" when I was 4. Though to be fair, I was already literate before Kindergarten and that's why I took advance reading programs in Kindergarten and Grade 1.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

[QUOTE="chaz1911"][QUOTE="NiKva"]When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.NiKva

I'm not trying to be mean, but seriously? I knew how to spell "doing" when I was 4. Though to be fair, I was already literate before Kindergarten and that's why I took advance reading programs in Kindergarten and Grade 1.

We get it. You were a child prodigy :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="chaz1911"][QUOTE="NiKva"]When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.NiKva

If you were trying to use proper grammar practices you would have spelled out the numbers. Since you want to correct others.....
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

[QUOTE="NiKva"]When you repeatedly spell "doing" as "dooing" I don't know if you're qualified.chaz1911

Read more books. That was what ultimately improved my spelling and grammar.

chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chaz1911

good for you i'm glad you had that chance just keep in mind not everyone did.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I think they have GED tests for you at the college. and even GED classes if you have to.. but shouldn't take you long to get them pass becoz if you already studied anyway.. good luck my friend..

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NiKva

[QUOTE="NiKva"][QUOTE="chaz1911"] sorry spelling ain't my strong suit but i'm trying my best.meconate

Were you the Principle by 10?

Nope, by 10 is when I made all of my "bad" friends and got into trouble many times :P

I could still read circles around the people my age back then, but I also liked to get into fights and vandalize things :P

Edit: Btw its "principal"

chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chaz1911
I dropped out of high school at the age of around 14 and since then was home tutored (supposedly) until around 16/17 when I wanted to take up a college course. I walking into it without any qualifications because I hadn't took my GSCEs, but I had to take a test first before I could enter to see whether I was 'worthy' to pass. I passed with flying colours, and when taking AQA and other communication skill tests (sort of the equivalent to GSCEs in certain ways), I actually gained distinctions from them. I studied at college for 4 years in 3 different courses within the digital media department and passed them all. So yeah, just because you dropped out of school, doesn't mean it's pretty much the end and there's no alternatives. I'm from the UK by the way, so I'm not sure how it all works in America.meconate
thanks that's just what i wanted to hear cause i;m from the UK too good to know also would i have to pay to go to college cheers bud
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NiKva
Gangsta' by 10? I'm impressed.meconate
Not really. Looking back on it in hindsight, the reason I was their friend was so that they could copy my homework and help them cheat on tests. The only reason I got into fights was to settle differences and show that I belonged to the group :P
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chaz1911
[QUOTE="chaz1911"][QUOTE="meconate"]I dropped out of high school at the age of around 14 and since then was home tutored (supposedly) until around 16/17 when I wanted to take up a college course. I walking into it without any qualifications because I hadn't took my GSCEs, but I had to take a test first before I could enter to see whether I was 'worthy' to pass. I passed with flying colours, and when taking AQA and other communication skill tests (sort of the equivalent to GSCEs in certain ways), I actually gained distinctions from them. I studied at college for 4 years in 3 different courses within the digital media department and passed them all. So yeah, just because you dropped out of school, doesn't mean it's pretty much the end and there's no alternatives. I'm from the UK by the way, so I'm not sure how it all works in America.meconate
thanks that's just what i wanted to hear cause i;m from the UK too good to know also would i have to pay to go to college cheers bud

That all depends on your income situations. For example if you're still living with your parents (which of course I was at the time) and they have a low income, then it's free. I didn't pay at all for the 4 years I was there, at least. However, if you want repeat the course (for a better grade, etc) then it would cost, I believe. I would look at the college you're interested in and pick up a prospectus or ask to speak with someone. If you're from the UK, you could always get in touch with Connexions (they have a website and numerous buildings around the UK), I found them to be very helpful when asking them for help looking for a course and career advice, etc.

thanks again that's really helpful am gonna do just that x
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
The best thing to do is to get a GED. I don't think you can get into college with a HS diploma or GED, but I am not 100% sure as I never really looked into that. Getting a GED will also open you up to more employment opportunities while you are in college. Almost all colleges accept GED applicants, but it is significantly harder for one to get into a university compared to a community college. Community colleges will accept essentially anything, so you would basically be guaranteed a spot there. And they are cheaper. Go to a CC for 2 years, do well, and then transfer to a state university. Your credits will transfer, your GPA will reset, and when you receive your degree in two years, there will be no mention that you ever attended a CC.
Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
I can't help because I have no idea how the American Education System works, but follow the advice of people in this thread. And don't listen to the people trying to belittle you on this site, heck i'm dyslexic and sometimes struggle to spell words like reservoir, doesn't mean I'm thick or can't achieve at college/masters level. Good luck TC :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Take and pass the GED, go to a community college for a few years, then transfer to a state university. Your situation isn't strange at all. It's a situation many people end up in.

Save as much money as you can while going to community college so you don't have money problems when you later transfer to a real school.

Also, this kind of situation is precisely why homeschooling is a horrible idea. A big part of going to school is socialization.

bigfoot2045
There are plenty of other avenues to getting that social aspect without going to a traditional school environment.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

[QUOTE="chaz1911"]

chaz1911

The government dont really give a damn also my parents were just dooing what they thought was best just turns out they were wrong

As a licensed teacher, I call shenanigans on your story, if you're in the US. Even if you're homeschooled, you're still technically a part of the school district and have to meet the same minimum curriculum requirements of the other students your age. If you just flat out dropped out, you can take high school equivalency exams, or adult education classes. They are widely available and cheap, in my area they can be done at both the high schools or the Community College.
Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts

bigfoot2045
I had the same problem as you TC, parents really messed me up, and I did exactly what this person posted step by step. It works, today I'm a professional and have my **** together for the first time in years.
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chaz1911
[QUOTE="chaz1911"][QUOTE="fueled-system"]Umm wow I am surprised the govt allowed your parents to do that...Nuck81

As a licensed teacher, I call shenanigans on your story, if you're in the US. Even if you're homeschooled, you're still technically a part of the school district and have to meet the same minimum curriculum requirements of the other students your age. If you just flat out dropped out, you can take high school equivalency exams, or adult education classes. They are widely available and cheap, in my area they can be done at both the high schools or the Community College.

I'm from the UK and believe me they don't care what you learn the main reason for the visit is to make sure the child in question isn't being abused.
chaz1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chaz1911
[QUOTE="bigfoot2045"]

Oscar-Wilde
I had the same problem as you TC, parents really messed me up, and I did exactly what this person posted step by step. It works, today I'm a professional and have my **** together for the first time in years.

i'll check it out thanks
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="chaz1911"] The government dont really give a damn also my parents were just dooing what they thought was best just turns out they were wrongchaz1911

I'm from the UK and believe me they don't care what you learn the main reason for the visit is to make sure the child in question isn't being abused.

Yeah I have no idea how education works in the UK. Good luck