Walmart food drive for employed unable to affordthanksgiving

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Actual Topic Title (OT turned into twitter I guess)

Walmart's Thanksgiving food drive for it's employees unable to afford thanksgiving

Walmart higher ups say this is an act of kindness towards it's workers. Critics (like myself, lets not beat around the bush) argue that this is yet another example of Walmart refusing to pay their employees enough to get by despite record profits in the billions. Also that this is further evidence of a company that makes billions by perpetuating a culture where it's employees need to subsist off of other people either through tax payer dollars or straight up charity.

Wal Mart donations request

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/11/19/walmart-donations-drive-employees/3637953/

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

What's the point of even working at Walmart anymore? Their slave wages aren't enough for any basic living expenses.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

What's the norm for wages at walmart

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

If you don't like your pay you are free to try and find another employer.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

Can we all agree that it's time to raise the minimum wage, now? When we subsidize full time workers of these jobs so that they remain above the poverty line, I find it hard to argue otherwise.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@mattbbpl: I didn't realize they were forced to stay at a min wage job. If I didn't try and better myself I could of stayed at a min wage job myself but I decided to move on till I got experience and skills that pay a good wage now. Btw this is one of my local walmarts lol nice to see it in national headlines

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Serraph105

@AutoPilotOn said:

@mattbbpl: I didn't realize they were forced to stay at a min wage job. If I didn't try and better myself I could of stayed at a min wage job myself but I decided to move on till I got experience and skills that pay a good wage now. Btw this is one of my local walmarts lol nice to see it in national headlines

Arguably Walmart is exploiting you as a taxpayer in that case, they don't have to pay their employees enough to live so long as you continue to do so.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I've always disapproved of Walmarts shady tactics.

They rather hire two people and give them 20 hours each so they can avoid supplying healthcare, and other benefits for a full time employee.

Uncle Sam needs to step in and tell Walmart you can have someone working for you for 2+ years part time, but have them working 365.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

Arguably Walmart is exploiting you as a taxpayer in that case

Then address that part of the equation.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

Arguably Walmart is exploiting you as a taxpayer in that case, they don't have to pay their employees enough to live so long as you continue to do so.

Precisely.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Walmart workers should start up a union. They would then require Walmart to let them work 40 hours a week when the worker want to work full time and pay them $12 an hour.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Serraph105

@Master_Live said:

@Serraph105 said:

@AutoPilotOn said:

Arguably Walmart is exploiting you as a taxpayer in that case

Then address that part of the equation.

I just did, but I'd rather address issue I actually care more about first, the exploited worker. I feel like I have to bring up the exploited taxpayer however to appeal to people on both sides of the issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Because giving your employees decent wages makes too much sense.

The family behind Wal-Mart is evil.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

in other words, they've having a potluck

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105

@lamprey263:

your avatar and sig make your post unintentionally funny.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@dave123321 said:

What's the norm for wages at walmart

I was making $7.65 an hour when I worked there, eligible for a whole $.40 raise after a year (33 hours a week). Thank God I'm out of that place. At my new job my monthly bonus is the same amount that I was making per month at wal-mart, and that doesn't include my regular pay.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

As of this moment, I'm officially not boycotting Walmart because their low prices are great. Long live Walmart!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Not a fan of Wal-Mart myself, but I don't particularly see the reason for giving employees more when those employees are willing to work for less. A lot of those employees aren't highly skilled and are easily replaced, and Wal-Mart is paying them at least minimum wage (as far as I know). If those employees think that they're being underpaid for the kind of work that they're doing, then they are free to go work for an employer who will pay them more.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

How about the corporation that made over 15 Billion in fucking profit last year donate some fucking food for employees who cannot afford to purchase their own for Thanksgiving instead of asking other employees who are likely just getting buy to do it?

Darth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darth1337
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

Walmart workers should start up a union. They would then require Walmart to let them work 40 hours a week when the worker want to work full time and pay them $12 an hour.

As soon as the word 'Union' is mentioned, they're fired.

Wal Mart is notoriously anti-Union, so there's no point in them trying to form one.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@Darth1337 said:

@Jd1680a said:

As soon as the word 'Union' is mentioned, they're fired.

Wal Mart is notoriously anti-Union, so there's no point in them trying to form one.

reminds me of this

Loading Video...

they're so anti-union that they get unionized actors to convey the message!

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

As of this moment, I'm officially not boycotting Walmart because their low prices are great. Long live Walmart!

That's the way, support walmart screwing over their employees!

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

So what's wrong with Unions? UPS/Fedex seem to be doing fine.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It's kind of darkly hilarious how this attempted PR stunt has backfired on the company.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts
@Barbariser said:

It's kind of darkly hilarious how this attempted PR stunt has backfired on the company.

I really don't know how anyone (never mind people in management) thought that this would be a good idea.

Give to our hard working employees, 'cos we sure as hell don't.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Wal-Mart could pay their employees more, but then they'd have to raise their prices and everyone would piss and moan about it. It's lose-lose from a PR standpoint.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@huggybear1020 said:

Wal-Mart could pay their employees more, but then they'd have to raise their prices and everyone would piss and moan about it. It's lose-lose from a PR standpoint.

No, they wouldn't. Their whole business model is to offer stuff cheaper than the competition. Wal-Mart would absorb the costs just like any business and considering how huge their profit margins are I think they'd be fine.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HuggyBear1020

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

No, they wouldn't. Their whole business model is to offer stuff cheaper than the competition. Wal-Mart would absorb the costs just like any business and considering how huge their profit margins are I think they'd be fine.

And who are you to decide how much money a privately-run business is allowed to make? They make scant profits on any individual item, and rely on volume of business to make profits. Minimum wage jobs are for unskilled laborers just breaking into the retail business, they aren't meant to be careers capable of supporting families. You work hard, acquire knowledge and skills, maybe even go to school while you are working, and move up.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl

@huggybear1020 said:

They actually wouldn't have to. Their profits, ROE, and share price indicate that not only could they offer significant wage increases without raising costs, but their shares would still be able to beat anticipated returns when weighed against their current stock prices.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/12/wal-mart-pay-raise/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@huggybear1020 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

And who are you to decide how much money a privately-run business is allowed to make? They make scant profits on any individual item, and rely on volume of business to make profits. Minimum wage jobs are for unskilled laborers just breaking into the retail business, they aren't meant to be careers capable of supporting families. You work hard, acquire knowledge and skills, maybe even go to school while you are working, and move up.

I never said anything about how much money they're "allowed" to make. I merely said they'd be perfectly fine if they offered their employees better wages.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HuggyBear1020

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I never said anything about how much money they're "allowed" to make. I merely said they'd be perfectly fine if they offered their employees better wages.

Anyone who isn't happy about what they are making is free to go look for another job. Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to work there.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Hey, Walmart, how 'bout paying your employees a bit more? Costco has starting wages at $12/hour for stocking positions and $15/hour for cashiering, at least at the one where I live.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

Hey, Walmart, how 'bout paying your employees a bit more? Costco has starting wages at $12/hour for stocking positions and $15/hour for cashiering, at least at the one where I live.

That's all fine and well, but it doesn't change the fact that Walmart is perfectly able to find sufficient labor while paying lower wages. If workers are willing to undersell their skills, then why should Walmart pay more?

If Walmart is really underpaying their employees by so much, then it seems to me that the employees are equally to blame for choosing to work there. By choosing to work there for $hitty pay, they are literally telling Walmart that that's all that their labor is worth.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Anyone who isn't happy about what they are making is free to go look for another job. Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to work there.

You're one of those people who doesn't really read other people's posts and basically just replies with irrelevant chaff, aren't you?

@gamerguru100 said:

They have radically different clienteles and products so this comparison doesn't fly.

@MrGeezer said:

@gamerguru100 said:

That's all fine and well, but it doesn't change the fact that Walmart is perfectly able to find sufficient labor while paying lower wages. If workers are willing to undersell their skills, then why should Walmart pay more?

If Walmart is really underpaying their employees by so much, then it seems to me that the employees are equally to blame for choosing to work there. By choosing to work there for $hitty pay, they are literally telling Walmart that that's all that their labor is worth.

Pretty much. The labour market at the moment strongly favours employers so Walmart can get away with crap wages for workers and not suffer for it. This situation's not going to improve without government intervention until the unemployment rate falls significantly and substitute jobs open up in better-paying retailers.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@huggybear1020 said:

I'm pretty sure they would gladly leave if they were able to.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Can we all agree that it's time to raise the minimum wage, now? When we subsidize full time workers of these jobs so that they remain above the poverty line, I find it hard to argue otherwise.

Yes, let's raise minimum wage so we can make it worse for everybody with higher prices.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@gamerguru100 said:

While I do have to agree with your point, I still think Walmart is a dick for doing that when places like Costco give higher wages for essentially the same kind of work.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#38 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@mattbbpl said:

Yes, let's raise minimum wage so we can make it worse for everybody with higher prices.

Pretty sure we can pay the extra buck for the yoga pants, buck-o.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@The-Apostle said:

@mattbbpl said:

Pay an extra buck? How unamerican!

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#40  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@deeliman said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@The-Apostle said:

@mattbbpl said:

I know we're being silly, but I think we can all take a moment to be serious and agree that if you think paying an extra dollar for yoga pants is significant enough of an issue to prevent a large group of people from getting paid a living wage, your brain's hemispheres need to be divorced.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@deeliman said:

@THE_DRUGGIE said:

@The-Apostle said:

@mattbbpl said:

I know we're being silly, but I think we can all take a moment to be serious and agree that if you think paying an extra dollar for yoga pants is significant enough of an issue to prevent a large group of people from getting paid a living wage, your brain's hemispheres need to be divorced.

Agreed, you're a deplorable excuse for a human being if that's how you view this.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

Right here, right now, what should a low-skilled employee at Walmart earn? When I say low-skilled I mean someone w/o any skills or education to work a job beyond that of being a cashier, stocker, etc..,

People need to be paid what they are worth and what their skill-set determines rather than what you'd like them to make.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Right here, right now, what should a low-skilled employee at Walmart earn? When I say low-skilled I mean someone w/o any skills or education to work a job beyond that of being a cashier, stocker, etc..,

People need to be paid what they are worth and what their skill-set determines rather than what you'd like them to make.

Maybe they should accept the consequences of their actions and just learn to use the money they earn better.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Pretty sure someone putting in the shitty work walmart makes people do is worth at least one decent meal a year. Then again I don't really consider exploiting other humans and acting like a dictator to be skills that should be seen as being put above honest hard work and I know you disagree with that.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Solaryellow

Again, how much money do you propose an entry level, low-skilled job provide to the worker? The Walmart discussion comes up often but I have yet to hear one person give an actual number representing an acceptable hourly wage.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ace6301

@Solaryellow said:

Again, how much money do you propose an entry level, low-skilled job provide to the worker? The Walmart discussion comes up often but I have yet to hear one person give an actual number representing an acceptable hourly wage.

They make $10.50 here and the sky isn't exactly falling.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Whatever the market dictates.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Solaryellow

The market doesn't matter anymore nor does the skill set of an individual. Walmart makes a lot of money so the worker(s) should be paid high wages regardless. Isn't that the general impression people have towards big business? Forget the position. Forget skill and education. All that matters is paying people more money.

$10.50/hr is quite generous considering what type of work is done at your average store. If by chance the minimum wage increases Walmart will not eat the cost. It will be passed on to the consumer. Then the consumer will bitch.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

What's the point of even working at Walmart anymore? Their slave wages aren't enough for any basic living expenses.

Actually, a full time employee at Walmart is making enough to keep a family of four above the poverty line.

Why someone would chose to have 2 children, while working such a low income job is beyond me.
However in a society where it's common for both parents to work, I find it hard to blame Walmart.

Again, 1 adult working full time, can keep a family of 4 out of poverty, simply by working as a cashier at Walmart. If both parents chose to work, they'd be making more than double the minimum income to be considered "in poverty"

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ace6301

@Solaryellow said:

The market doesn't matter anymore nor does the skill set of an individual. Walmart makes a lot of money so the worker(s) should be paid high wages regardless. Isn't that the general impression people have towards big business? Forget the position. Forget skill and education. All that matters is paying people more money.

$10.50/hr is quite generous considering what type of work is done at your average store. If by chance the minimum wage increases Walmart will not eat the cost. It will be passed on to the consumer. Then the consumer will bitch.

Sounds like a problem with Walmart. If you're making the sort of profits walmart does and you can't afford to pay your workers a half way decent wage then you're probably a piece of shit. Especially when your shitty business practices are costing the tax payer as much as Walmart does.