Virginia State Sen. Creigh Deeds Stabbed, Son Shot to Death

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by deeliman (2423 posts) -

Link

Creigh Deeds, a former Democratic nominee for governor of Virginia, is now in fair condition at a Virginia hospital after he was stabbed multiple times this morning in his home. His son, Gus Deeds, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene, state police said.

Creigh Deeds was stabbed multiple times in the head and upper torso, but was capable of speaking with police and investigators, Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.

Doctors upgraded his condition to fair from critical this afternoon, meaning he is conscious with stable vital signs within normal limits.

First responders had attempted this morning to treat his son at the scene, but he succumbed to his gunshot wound.

Police are not searching for any suspects, but are still investigating the motive and the sequence of events at the Millboro, Va., home.

After the stabbing, Deeds, 55, walked down the hill from his rural Bath County home to Route 42, where he was spotted by a cousin who was driving along the road, police said.

A 911 call was placed from the cousin's home.

Deeds was transported by ambulance to a relative's farm where he was flown by helicopter to the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville at 7:25 this morning after sustaining "serious injuries," police said.

Police said they believe the incident occurred shortly before the 911 call was made this morning, but they would not release any information about who made the call.

Gus Deeds attended William and Mary College in Virginia, but he withdrew from the university last month, the school said. He had been a student off and on since 2007.

Gus Deeds was the senator's only son. He had three daughters: Rebecca, Susannah and Amanda.

His 20-year marriage to his first wife, Pamela, ended in 2010. Deeds remarried Siobhan Deeds in 2012.

Police declined to say whether anyone else was in the house at the time of the incident or who made the 911 call.

#2 Edited by Master_Live (14427 posts) -

Should change the title, it is being investigated as an attempt of murder/suicide.

#3 Posted by GazaAli (22694 posts) -

That is sad to hear. I wonder if this was motivated by something that has to do with his political and government ties.

Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"? And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33996 posts) -

Pronounced dead is the usual term. Placed and made are more interchangeable

#5 Posted by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

That is sad to hear. I wonder if this was motivated by something that has to do with his political and government ties.

Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"? And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?

"Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"?"

One is pronounced dead by a medical official.

"And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?"

Who is "we"?

#6 Posted by GazaAli (22694 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

That is sad to hear. I wonder if this was motivated by something that has to do with his political and government ties.

Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"? And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?

"Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"?"

One is pronounced dead by a medical official.

"And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?"

Who is "we"?

We as English speakers. Did that sound awkward to you?

#8 Posted by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@thegerg said:

@GazaAli said:

That is sad to hear. I wonder if this was motivated by something that has to do with his political and government ties.

Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"? And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?

"Off-topic, is it "pronounced dead" or "announced dead"?"

One is pronounced dead by a medical official.

"And don't we say " a call was made" rather than "a call was placed"?"

Who is "we"?

We as English speakers. Did that sound awkward to you?

I didn't know if you were talking about people from a certain place or using a certain dialect. We can say either.

#9 Edited by thegerg (15063 posts) -

Haha, no. There is no reason to insult other community members. Please try to act like an adult.

#11 Edited by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@deeliman: No, it's not. You seem to be very confused.

#12 Edited by deeliman (2423 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@deeliman: No, it's not. You seem to be very confused.

Keep living in denial.

#13 Posted by GazaAli (22694 posts) -

A rather unexpected progression of this topic lol

#14 Posted by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@deeliman said:

@thegerg said:

@deeliman: No, it's not. You seem to be very confused.

Keep living in denial.

You seem to be the one in denial.

#15 Edited by dave123321 (33996 posts) -

What did the deleted messages say

#16 Posted by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@dave123321: He was just trolling and throwing around a synonym of the "r-word."

#17 Posted by dave123321 (33996 posts) -

That's a shame. You are actually right in this case for once

#18 Posted by thegerg (15063 posts) -

@dave123321: I usually am right. Even when I'm not right, I'm enough of a man to admit that I'm wrong. I wish more of OT was the same way.

#19 Posted by dave123321 (33996 posts) -

@thegerg: a lot of the time you are right about stuff that isn't really on the table. You are factually stating facts but the facts that no one is really denying or talking about.

#20 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

I'm curious about that hospital. "Not enough beds" isn't an ethical reason to turn away someone, especially if they were involuntarily admitted. Some hospitals will dump patients for financial or other reasons and try to come up with more "acceptable" reasons to justify it.

Whatever the case, I doubt that hospital will be in business for much longer. No matter how you spell it, they committed several extremely serious ethical violations.

#21 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

I'm curious about that hospital. "Not enough beds" isn't an ethical reason to turn away someone, especially if they were involuntarily admitted. Some hospitals will dump patients for financial or other reasons and try to come up with more "acceptable" reasons to justify it.

Whatever the case, I doubt that hospital will be in business for much longer. No matter how you spell it, they committed several extremely serious ethical violations.

There might be some regulatory stuffs (either from legal ass-covering from internal bureaucracy or more directly from state regulations) regarding beds in hospitals.

If so, that would have to be a local thing, and a sketchy one besides. If a hospital runs out of beds, they're either supposed to use other means (like couches) or, if possible, send the patient to a less crowded hospital. Releasing the patient altogether when the patient's need hasn't even been addressed violates every ethical regulation I know of regarding hospital care.