Violence in movies and television- what effect does it have on society?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

So now that Joe Biden's task force has been analyzing violence and how to curb it there has been some question about violence in movies, tv, and videogames (there should also be more discussion about violence in music and the glorification of the "thug life" in music and tv).

Anyways here is a video where Raymond Arroyo and Dan Gainor from the Media Research Institute discuss violence in the top 5 recent movies and how it might desensitive people to violence. The relevant part of the discussion starts at 25 minutes into the video. According to Gainor's study there were 65 violent scenes in the top 5 movies at the box office the week they did the study.

Perhaps one of the more disturbing points made was that one of the movies was a comedy movie, which used "ironic violence", i.e. violence intended to be comical. According to Gainor, such things could damage people's sense of empathy.

What are your thoughts, are movies are television too violent?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

History tells us violence has always been a part of entertainment. The only difference is, by and large today the violence is make-believe.

Not so when Romans went to the areana, when people gathered for public executions, or even when they let the hounds lose on the fox.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whipassmt

History tells us violence has always been a part of entertainment. The only difference is, by and large today the violence is make-believe.

Not so when Romans went to the areana, when people gathered for public executions, or even when they let the hounds lose on the fox.

br0kenrabbit

Good point. Fundamentally people aren't violent because entertainment is violent, entertainment is violent because people are violent. Though of course parents should take some care as to what entertainment they let their kids see, and entertainment producers should exercise some level of responsibility in their entertainment?

By the way, did Biden's task force ever look into gangs or was it just gun laws and entertainment that they focused on?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 whipassmt

As far as mixing violence and comedy goes, it can probably be handled decently if producers choose to. Making fatal violence (i.e. where a character dies or is wounded by a deadly weapon) comedic is riskier than something like this.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 br0kenrabbit

Good point. Fundamentally people aren't violent because entertainment is violent, entertainment is violent because people are violent. Though of course parents should take some care as to what entertainment they let their kids see, and entertainment producers should exercise some level of responsibility in their entertainment?

By the way, did Biden's task force ever look into gangs or was it just gun laws and entertainment that they focused on?

whipassmt

Of course parents should monitor their children. But at the same time, I wouldn't put the blame of violence on any media the children are exposed to. We actually live in the most peaceful time in history.

I think the biggest problem is energy, and not knowing what to do with it.

We expect 8-year-olds to sit idle, in a desk, quietly, for 8 hours a day. Really? Really? Would you expect a puppy to lay quietly at your feet all day, all the time? Kids are full of energy and they need to use that energy. It's there for a reason. If you don't let a kid run and scream and goof off, he's going to start resenting the institutions that attempt to keep him docile.

So now you have resentment, energy, and a cause.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

br0kenrabbit

Of course parents should monitor their children. But at the same time, I wouldn't put the blame of violence on any media the children are exposed to. We actually live in the most peaceful time in history.

We expect 8-year-olds to sit idle, in a desk, quietly, for 8 hours a day. Really? Really? Would you expect a puppy to lay quietly at your feet all day, all the time? Kids are full of energy and they need to use that energy. It's there for a reason. If you don't let a kid run and scream and goof off, he's going to start resenting the institutions that attempt to keep him docile.

Building upon this statement, over 65% of the elementary schools in my district have eliminated recess in the name of standized testing prep. These are 1st through 5th graders that they are keeping bottled up to grow an arbitrary number on a test. It needs to stop, cutting of after school programs needs to stop, physical education needs to be made a priority in schools, not an after thought.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

br0kenrabbit
Pretty much this. The human mind is attracted to violence. It's psychological.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

br0kenrabbit
While this is true, it still doesn't address what effect violent entertainment has on society.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

MrGeezer

While this is true, it still doesn't address what effect violent entertainment has on society.

Violent entertainment isn't going to make someone violent. Violent people may gravitate toward violent entertainment, but that's a different issue altogether.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Violent entertainment isn't going to make someone violent. Violent people may gravitate toward violent entertainment, but that's a different issue altogether.

br0kenrabbit
So...what effect does violent entertainment have on society?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

MrGeezer

So...what effect does violent entertainment have on society?

It entertains.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm sure violence in entertainment media does have an effect on society. That being said I wouldn't blame entertainment mediaand any almost all cases I would imagine there's alot more that influences a perosn to do such terible things than what they watch, read, play, listen to, whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Pointless and stupid.. If you look at the actual violent crime statistics you would see the United States is on a 4 decades low in which time periods like the 1970s and 1980s there were far more violent crimes.. So basically the eras in which we had really no video games and violence was extremely low on tv compared to now were far more violent..

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Lol.

Probably a tamer effect than RELIGION.

>_> !@#$%^&* brainwashed f@ggots.

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

History tells us violence has always been a part of entertainment.

br0kenrabbit
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whipassmt

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Yusuke420

Building upon this statement, over 65% of the elementary schools in my district have eliminated recess in the name of standized testing prep. These are 1st through 5th graders that they are keeping bottled up to grow an arbitrary number on a test. It needs to stop, cutting of after school programs needs to stop, physical education needs to be made a priority in schools, not an after thought.

Yeah true. I think to a certain extant people aren't letting kids be kids anymore, their pushing them to do this and that in order to be "successful".

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#17 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Depends.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I see nothing wrong with violence in media, but I don't like how violence is more acceptable than sex. I can let someone's kid play Grand thef Auto, but if I show them a vagina that's a big no-no.
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Yusuke420

Interesting, my school cut over half of the available AP classes and recently hired a "weight coach" who gets paid around 30 grand a year. My school is more interested in athletics then academics. I think recess and athletic programs are great, but only to an extent.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Granny_Spanked

Interesting, my school cut over half of the available AP classes and recently hired a "weight coach" who gets paid around 30 grand a year. My school is more interested in athletics then academics. I think recess and athletic programs are great, but only to an extent.

High school is completely different though. By that time kids need to be doing real work, and thinking ahead to college, and beyond, unfortunately not enough are. Honestly though, as long as you learn basic skills and thinking in elementary school you can't really screw yourself over like you can by slacking off in high school.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Not sure. But I've had these weird thoughts that if aliens ever came to our galaxy and monitored our broadcasts, they'd probably assume we were some very serious violent mofos.