Video Game story modes vs Movies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AussieePet (11424 posts) -

Are video games story modes becoming more interesting than movies? Games like Beyond two souls for example i think its story mode is better than any new movies i've seen this year

#2 Edited by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

No. Video game stories are getting better than they used to be, but there are very few legitimately good writers in the industry.

#3 Edited by BranKetra (48111 posts) -

Some games have good stories that are better than some movies. The judgements about those are individual. Overall, though, movies feature more detailed stories than most games in my opinion.

There are also games which are part of multimedia franchises like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, so comparing two mediums about the same franchise is kind of redundant.

#4 Posted by dave123321 (33758 posts) -

Movies are much better at story telling

#5 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28038 posts) -

No.

#6 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29100 posts) -

The best movie stories are much better than the best video game stories. That said I often enjoy video game stories as much or more because I feel more involved in them.

#7 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26038 posts) -
#8 Posted by LZ71 (10273 posts) -

No. That being said, I think part of that is because most games either don't care about telling a good story (which is a valid line of thinking, as a ton of movies don't really care either), or are just going about in the wrong way.

#9 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Video games potentially are better at storytelling than movies as they are interactive and allow choice.

But the problem with stories in games, as compared to movies, is that they are diluted. They follow a typical fight-cutscene-fight-cutscene, and it's often 2 hours of story padded out with 8 hours of repetitive gameplay.

#10 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

The only advantage a single player game would have over a movie story-wise is that it's longer and has more content. Most of the time video game writers can't take advantage of this anyway.

#11 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

the best story ever told in a video game has to be Dark Souls. Very few cutscenes the world itself told a story. Mass Effect 1 is a close second for a better story than a movie

#12 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1354 posts) -

No. Video game stories are getting better than they used to be, but there are very few legitimately good writers in the industry.

Writing has nothing to do with it in regards to video games. As a result of players interacting with the world, emotional investment in characters relies on the overall vibe of the game. Case in point, Zelda.

#13 Posted by MrGeezer (56110 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Video games potentially are better at storytelling than movies as they are interactive and allow choice.

But the problem with stories in games, as compared to movies, is that they are diluted. They follow a typical fight-cutscene-fight-cutscene, and it's often 2 hours of story padded out with 8 hours of repetitive gameplay.

That's not something that works in te benefit of video games. That works AGAINST video games. It's an extra liability that has to be overcome.

The issue is this: interactivity allows the player to royally f*** everything up. Giving more freedom to the audience reduces the artist's control over the work. And the ability of the artist to control the audience is not to be underestimated. Control is paramount. You don't let your audience do whatever the hell they want. You TELL your audience what to do or feel, and you do it in away that makes them FEEL like they were making their own decisions.

I'm not saying that some video game storytellers haven't overcome this obstacle and made games with good stories, but it IS an obstacle. Interactivity is just an additional thing that reduces the artist's control over his audience.

#14 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

Stop trolling Aussie.