This topic is locked from further discussion.

ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ver5us
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I was curious if anyone has any suggestions or comments on good books that are either prequels or tie-ins to games. I recently finished reading the prequel to Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne. It was quite the read, and if you're interested feel free to check out the blog about it on my profile. As stated in the blog, I have already read both Mass Effect novels and had been thinking about picking up the Republic Commando books. I just don't know if I could get into them. I enjoyed the game and am currently playing through it again to try to get in the mood to read them, but still having my doubts. On a side note, I do love Star Wars and am anxiously waiting for The Old Republic! The others I had considered were Gears of War: Aspho Fields, as well as the Warhammer 40K novels. Though I wouldn't know where to start with those. Basically, what I'm looking for is some input on any of the books I've listed, or suggestions for new ones. Help a bored gamer out. If Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, and The Old Republic (Oh how I love you, Bioware) were out already I wouldn't be having this problem!

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

I've read both Mass Effect novels and Resistance: The Gathering Storm.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I read the prequel to to Warcraft 3 novels and some Diablo novels

Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

The Republic Commando novels are some of my favorite SW books (Keep in mind I've read over a hundred), but be warned that they have little to do with the game. The novel follows a different squad and deals with the moral dilemmas of using a clone army, among other things. I would highly recommend them.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
i don't read video game novels.. Just can't get into them.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The Halo novels were quite good, but you could stay away from The Flood.
ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ver5us

The Republic Commando novels are some of my favorite SW books (Keep in mind I've read over a hundred), but be warned that they have little to do with the game. The novel follows a different squad and deals with the moral dilemmas of using a clone army, among other things. I would highly recommend them.Nagru

Wow, that's quite the collection! Perhaps I'll get the Commando books after all. Well it seems you would be a good person to answer another question: Is there any Star Wars novels based in the Old Republic time frame? I like the KOTOR games much more than I like any Star Wars movies, so a book set back then would be nice. Off subject, but my girlfriend has those Deen Koontz books as well. Good stuff.

Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="Nagru"]

The Republic Commando novels are some of my favorite SW books (Keep in mind I've read over a hundred), but be warned that they have little to do with the game. The novel follows a different squad and deals with the moral dilemmas of using a clone army, among other things. I would highly recommend them.ver5us

Wow, that's quite the collection! Perhaps I'll get the Commando books after all. Well it seems you would be a good person to answer another question: Is there any Star Wars novels based in the Old Republic time frame? I like the KOTOR games much more than I like any Star Wars movies, so a book set back then would be nice. Off subject, but my girlfriend has those Deen Koontz books as well. Good stuff.

Thanks :) I've actually got another shelf full, I just haven't taken any pictures.

As for your question, sadly no. Closest you'll get to that is the Darth Bane novels, by Drew Karpyshyn. It's roughly 2,000 years off, but it's still ~1,000 years before the Battle of Yavin. The first one is excellent and shows you what the Sith were like before they enacted the Two Sith Rule, when they were still a force similar to the Jedi in size. The second novel was pretty poor though.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Metal Gear Solid the novel is great. It's pretty much the same as the game itself but it's still a good book.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I've never read a video game novel but when I was in high school there was this kid that read the Halo books instead of doing his math assignment.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Metal Gear Solid the novel is great. It's pretty much the same as the game itself but it's still a good book.

Heartagram_03
I've read that. Rather play the game again, though.
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts
I have read three WoW novels, actually very very good.
ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ver5us

I have read three WoW novels, actually very very good.Avistann

I had heard they were, however I'm a recovering WoW addict, and need to stay away from anything that might take me back. The hundreds of hours of WoW recorded by xfire is nowhere close to the actually amount of time I've spent playing that game... WTB years 2004-2008 back. :lol:

Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts

[QUOTE="Avistann"]I have read three WoW novels, actually very very good.ver5us

I had heard they were, however I'm a recovering WoW addict, and need to stay away from anything that might take me back. The hundreds of hours of WoW recorded by xfire is nowhere close to the actually amount of time I've spent playing that game... WTB years 2004-2008 back. :lol:

I know your feeling, luckily mine wasn't that long :P
ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ver5us

Any opinions on the Warhammer 40k books?

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

I haven't really read a video game novel, unless "The Last Wish" counts. I'm looking forward to The Elder Scrolls novels

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

[QUOTE="ver5us"]

[QUOTE="Nagru"]

The Republic Commando novels are some of my favorite SW books (Keep in mind I've read over a hundred), but be warned that they have little to do with the game. The novel follows a different squad and deals with the moral dilemmas of using a clone army, among other things. I would highly recommend them.Nagru

Thanks :) I've actually got another shelf full, I just haven't taken any pictures.

As for your question, sadly no. Closest you'll get to that is the Darth Bane novels, by Drew Karpyshyn. It's roughly 2,000 years off, but it's still ~1,000 years before the Battle of Yavin. The first one is excellent and shows you what the Sith were like before they enacted the Two Sith Rule, when they were still a force similar to the Jedi in size. The second novel was pretty poor though.

I second this. Darth Bane is one beastly dude...
megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 megamadman5
Member since 2006 • 725 Posts

are the mass effect books good?

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
The Halo novels are excellent, you should try them. Even if you don't like Halo, you should give them a go.
ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ver5us

megamadman5

They're excellent. Mass Effect: Revelation is the prequel to the game and mostly tells the story of Saren and Anderson's mission together. Mass Effect: Ascension continues the story of one of the characters from the first book, and starts right after the end of the game. Definitely recommended reads!

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
I read the first Halo novels. They were pretty bad. I judge all video game novels based on that experience.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

I read all the Halo and Resident Evil novels.

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 megamadman5

[QUOTE="megamadman5"]

ver5us

They're excellent. Mass Effect: Revelation is the prequel to the game and mostly tells the story of Saren and Anderson's mission together. Mass Effect: Ascension continues the story of one of the characters from the first book, and starts right after the end of the game. Definitely recommended reads!

oooo ive always wondered what that mission was like! ill have to stop by the library soon
Tyskater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tyskater
Member since 2003 • 7357 Posts

here's a suggestion mates - read something with actual literary significance 8)

megamadman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megamadman5

Tyskater
like what?
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I recommend the Starcraft novels. I thought they were very good.

ver5us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ver5us

Tyskater

What's the fun in that?

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Halo: The Fall of Reach was actually quite good. :o

Haven't read the other ones..

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

Tyskater

The problem is that by the time you're out of college, you've probably read almost every book that had any historical/literarysignificance and found them all to be boring crap. Once you're old enough it's better to read what interests you more that what interested others back in the 1800's.