Video Game Club at your school

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -
so me and a friend started a videogame club at my school at the beginning of the school year and so far its been an awesome experience. we meet twice a week and we mostly play on the computers (we use steam to play any games like cs, dod source, and Half life. We fundraised $ and got a 360 for the club and we bring it to allow our members to play any game they please on it. if u had a club at ur school like this would u join?
#2 Posted by nickmag (6710 posts) -
Who the hell would give you money so you can play videogames after school? Jeez..
#3 Posted by bluezy (29297 posts) -
That'd be cool. The closest we ever got was just playing Halo 2 and N64 games during people's spare.
#4 Posted by alex1889 (1633 posts) -
id join if it were free, nobody plays videgames as much as i do in my class and playing counterstrike in one room with 10 other people sounds fun
#5 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -

Who the hell would give you money so you can play videogames after school? Jeez..nickmag

its not after school its during school at lunch. Tuesdays and Thursdays. we got the money from our members. (we had over 60 sign up) :) 

#6 Posted by _-B_Smooth-_ (462 posts) -

at my school there is a Halo club...i dont go....

everytime i think of going after school to play halo i just think of a whole bunch of ultra nerds in halo 3 sweatshirts saying "i pwned you!!!"

not my kind of thing...id rather just go home..and if i felt like playing halo, put in halo.. 

#7 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -

id join if it were free, nobody plays videgames as much as i do in my class and playing counterstrike in one room with 10 other people sounds funalex1889

u dont have to pay every time we have a meeting. it was a $10 entrance fee and that was it 

#8 Posted by Agriath (1516 posts) -

I'd join one if there was one at my school.. although, there's no chance in hell they'd allow it.

#9 Posted by alex1889 (1633 posts) -
my school wouldnt allow it either, we have a film club but thats all, shame really as im sure itd be the most popular club and id bring in all my gamnes every time :p
#10 Posted by 3riForce (2293 posts) -
There's a videogame club at my school, every one a week, but its starting so suck, so I dont go anymore. At first there was a gamecube with Smash bros melee, we would have tournaments of like a dozen people, and an xbox with Halo 2.. sometimes a ps2. Playing melee got kinda boring, and now there's only wii.... with wii sports... and most people there are just nerds, so I stopped going.
#11 Posted by Quakeroat (225 posts) -

Well the programming club does essentially that over here....

But after school one day my friends and I downloaded the UT99 demo, and started playing it. Then we told some other people about it and it started spreading. Now there are about 100 people with it installed so there is almost always a match going on during a free period so thats really nice.

*we installed UT because it was one of the only things that could fit on our accounts.

#12 Posted by KrAzY_cHrIs (1132 posts) -

[QUOTE="alex1889"]id join if it were free, nobody plays videgames as much as i do in my class and playing counterstrike in one room with 10 other people sounds funMichaeltheCM

u dont have to pay every time we have a meeting. it was a $10 entrance fee and that was it 

wait a minute $10 60 members that means you've got...

#13 Posted by majadamus (10210 posts) -

There's a video game club at my school. I've gone a few times. Problem is, the club is filled with Japanophiles that play nothing but crappy DDR and Gundam games. They also play Guitar Hero like mad, and that's pretty much it.

#14 Posted by KrAzY_cHrIs (1132 posts) -
$600!:o
#15 Posted by ss_713 (838 posts) -

That could be cool, but my school would never allow it. Besides, the only people at my school that really play games play WoW.

#16 Posted by nynthninja (1311 posts) -
so me and a friend started a videogame club at my school at the beginning of the school year and so far its been an awesome experience. we meet twice a week and we mostly play on the computers (we use steam to play any games like cs, dod source, and Half life. We fundraised $ and got a 360 for the club and we bring it to allow our members to play any game they please on it. if u had a club at ur school like this would u join?MichaeltheCM
I hate to be a douche but you do know what your doing is illegal right? Unless of course you have written consent from Microsoft's marketing and promo division, allowing you a pay to play authetication. I been there dont that, got smacked down because there goddamn greedy
#17 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -
[QUOTE="MichaeltheCM"]

[QUOTE="alex1889"]id join if it were free, nobody plays videgames as much as i do in my class and playing counterstrike in one room with 10 other people sounds funKrAzY_cHrIs

wait a minute $10 60 members that means you've got...

yep thats  right $600 :) and we used that money to buy a 360 for the club and had other fundraisers to buy games and stuff. :D

#18 Posted by 1337_ownage (1668 posts) -
no way in my school would allow that....theres already enough violence.
#19 Posted by winston1654 (1 posts) -
How did you guys start the club, it sounds really fun, but i have no idea how to even start. just wondering who you asked and stuff
#20 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -
I would join :) I should start it, I am in ASB... >_>
#21 Posted by Sunsha (20644 posts) -

[QUOTE="nickmag"]Who the hell would give you money so you can play videogames after school? Jeez..MichaeltheCM

its not after school its during school at lunch. Tuesdays and Thursdays. we got the money from our members. (we had over 60 sign up) :) 

What happens with the 360 after you all move on with life?
#22 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -

My college had one, but it actually pissed me off. I had my own organization for professional and skills development... They cut of my funding, around the same time the video game club got funded. It wasn't their fault I guess, but the timing was just bad. If I didn't have my own thing, I would have happily joined them.

Well the programming club does essentially that over here....

But after school one day my friends and I downloaded the UT99 demo, and started playing it. Then we told some other people about it and it started spreading. Now there are about 100 people with it installed so there is almost always a match going on during a free period so thats really nice.

*we installed UT because it was one of the only things that could fit on our accounts.

Quakeroat

I did the same during highschool, with the same game, UT99 demo! It was awesome. I didn't have 100 though, there was only about 15 of us in my graphic arts class. The best part was when my teacher had a heart attack:twisted:. We had a supply teacher for the rest of the year, and it was a double period class! I didn't learn much about graphic design, but I mastered strafing!

#23 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17575 posts) -
My college has one. But it's mainly for PC gamers. I lack a PC >.>
#24 Posted by DucksBrains (1148 posts) -

My college has one. But it's mainly for PC gamers. I lack a PC >.>mrmusicman247

Ha, same for me, except I have a PC, and a number of us are going to PDXLan in a couple weeks. :P

#25 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -
We didn't have a video games club or anything but I remember the IT rooms were used for quake 3 lan set-ups during lunch and after school a lot.
#26 Posted by naruske101 (1036 posts) -

me and my friend wanted to sart one but the princapal said no. Theres a place u can play smash bros and mario kart at lunch.

#27 Posted by soulless4now (41366 posts) -

My college has one, but they're the definition of hardcore nerds so I stay away. :P

#28 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I'd join with my PC just to show off my hardware :P

My college has one, but they're the definition of hardcore nerds so I stay away. :P

soulless4now

Oh wait, I didn't think of this if your club looked like this I'd avoid you like the plague.

#29 Posted by soulless4now (41366 posts) -

I'd join with my PC just to show off my hardware :P

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

Fightingfan

Oh wait, I didn't think of this if your club looked like this I'd avoid you like the plague.

They don't look like that :P, but the president is like a stereotypical obese gamer and the guys like to play magic the gathering and yugioh.

#30 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

They had one when I was in High School, but I never joined it because 90% of the kids in it were d-bags that I hated.

#31 Posted by lilasianwonder (5962 posts) -
They started one in my college and from what I hear it's still going strong.
#32 Posted by MrGeezer (56125 posts) -
Who the hell would give you money so you can play videogames after school? Jeez..nickmag
Promote it as the better of two options. "Would you rather donate one dollar towards our videogame club, or or see us out on the streets smoking crack after school?"