Veteran dies, noone cares, Twitter comes to the rescue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6527 posts) -

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/a-veteran-died-with-nobody-to-attend-his-funeral-what-happen

Twitter managed to rally hundreds to come to this veterans funeral. Gotta say this gives me a lot of feels. Hundreds of people who don't even know the man came to pay their respects. Glad this man got the funeral he deserves. Rest in peace.

#2 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17125 posts) -

Wonderful story! May the man R.I.P.

I personally witnessed a resident at a nursing facility I worked at pass away and literally no one came up and there was no one to notify either I think. It was really heart breaking...

#3 Posted by Sword-Demon (6960 posts) -

well that's pretty awesome.

I never thought twitter would actually be helpful

#4 Posted by MrGeezer (56098 posts) -

Wonderful story! May the man R.I.P.

I personally witnessed a resident at a nursing facility I worked at pass away and literally no one came up and there was no one to notify either I think. It was really heart breaking...

This reminds me of a story I read about an old woman dying in her apartment, and no one found out until 2 or 3 years later. And it's not as if she was hidden under the floor or anything like that. She was just in her apartment, died, and then no one discovered her body for two years.

That always seemed really suspicious to me, because how the f*** does that even happen? If you live in an apartment then you've gotta pay rent. If you own the property, you've gotta pay taxes and whatnot. How does your absence not raise flags? But anyway, that's depressing as f***ing hell. The fact that somewhere there's a person who is so goddamn insignificant that they can die and it'd take two f***ing years for anyone to notice. People always say, "don't kill yourself, there are other people who need you and love you and depend on you." Well, not in this case.

#5 Posted by GazaAli (22494 posts) -

I doubt he gives a shit.

#6 Edited by chaoscougar1 (36775 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I doubt he gives a shit.

Probably not
But the people that attended his funeral did
And restored some of my faith in humanity
Cheer up buttercup

#7 Edited by BranKetra (48105 posts) -

That was kind.

#8 Edited by Jd1680a (5921 posts) -

That is simply incredible how hundreds of strangers show up to his funeral, otherwise it would have just been military personal.

#9 Edited by redstorm72 (4523 posts) -

Not to be "that guy", but why is the fact that this guy a veteran make him more worthy of attendance than a regular Joe? Lots of people work their asses off, doing their best their whole lives and end up dying alone and nobody gives a fuck, but serve in a war and you're forever a hero... Yes, I'm cynical.

#10 Edited by GazaAli (22494 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

I doubt he gives a shit.

Probably not

But the people that attended his funeral did

And restored some of my faith in humanity

Cheer up buttercup

I'm very much cheered up now!

#11 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Not to be "that guy", but why is the fact that this guy a veteran make him more worthy of attendance than a regular Joe? Lots of people work their asses off, doing their best their whole lives and end up dying alone and nobody gives a fuck, but serve in a war and you're forever a hero... Yes, I'm cynical.

It doesn't. I personally can't compare a Iraq/afghan veteran to WW2 or Vietnam. In my opinion no one joins the military for selfless reasons today, but the elder veterans didn't have a choice so they get my empathy and remorse.

I can't give someone extra worthiness because they joined for some sort of benefit; it's essentially a job with vacation, healthcare, and free housing.

#12 Edited by comp_atkins (31257 posts) -

warm fuzzy for the day

#13 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36775 posts) -

Serve during a War a see if you feel the same way
I can't imagine what life would have been like during WW2
Strong chance of death each day
And each day you survive statistically brings you closer to death
Physically, emotionally and mentally there's no job like it

#14 Edited by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

Awesome.

#15 Posted by sukraj (22066 posts) -

Nice

#16 Posted by Sword-Demon (6960 posts) -

@redstorm72: because veterans risked their lives and humanity, while someone who works his ass off his entire life would risk his health at the worst.

Even if they were forced to serve, it's still a huge sacrifice for their country. The least they deserve is our respect.

#17 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26029 posts) -

Cool story. Not sure I get this topic title. Makes it seem like people knowingly didn't care. Single, no friends, in a nursing home, not like people didn't care. They simply didn't know.

#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@redstorm72: because veterans risked their lives and humanity, while someone who works his ass off his entire life would risk his health at the worst.

Even if they were forced to serve, it's still a huge sacrifice for their country. The least they deserve is our respect.

You don't sacrifice shit if you're just a paper pusher. Only those with battle ready MOS jobs are actually doing that(unles of course WW3 happens), and if you take into account drones it's even less now.

#19 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Aw, how nice.

Perhaps this world, and the people in it, ain't so bad after all.

#20 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

there are millions of veterans.

Must we celebrate them each individually? -.-

#21 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (719 posts) -

Must you be a POS ? Cool story.

#22 Posted by thegerg (14826 posts) -

No, you can do what you want.

#23 Edited by Paragoob (28 posts) -