use one word to sum up your thoughts on religion in 2014.

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

religious

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Bigotry. Hypocrisy works as well.

I think bigotry works better though as it highlights the way religious people go and use their religions to justify hate and to try and put themselves on some sort of pedestal because they believe in some dude looking down on them from above.

The idea of this "war on religion" here in the US is one of the most laughable things ever and it really highlights the tribal attitude of Christians that they think that them being unable to use their religion to hold down rights of others constitutes them as being "under attack".

Funny thing is these same people apparently aren't very familiar with the damn book they supposedly worship considering the bible makes it very clear that you are supposed to "love thy neighbor".

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@British_Azimio said:

One word? That will not suffice. All I can say is that religion has become terribly warped. Both for the religious and the ones who deny religion and make it a scapegoat for all of the horrors this world has perpetuated and will continue to perpetuate. Love, Love, Love; Where has the Love gone?

Loading Video...

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@thegerg said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Bigotry. Hypocrisy works as well.

I think bigotry works better though as it highlights the way religious people go and use their religions to justify hate and to try and put themselves on some sort of pedestal because they believe in some dude looking down on them from above.

The idea of this "war on religion" here in the US is one of the most laughable things ever and it really highlights the tribal attitude of Christians that they think that them being unable to use their religion to hold down rights of others constitutes them as being "under attack".

Funny thing is these same people apparently aren't very familiar with the damn book they supposedly worship considering the bible makes it very clear that you are supposed to "love thy neighbor".

"Bigotry. Hypocrisy works as well."

Religion is as simple as belief about the nature of the universe. In what way is such belief inherently bigotry or hypocrisy?

Religion in 2014 is much different than the traditional definition.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Disgusting, along with the other methods of control for the very evil beings at the top of the system who have succeeded in enslaving humanity, such as the religion of science, and new age BS. Designed to brainwash people, and keep the truth away from us as far as possible, I'm in the religion of truth, I have learned so much by looking outside the mainstream, and listening to people what the system would like to convince me they are crazy, when they are very sane and have a vast amount of knowledge to what is really going on. War is a ritual sacrifice, you won't get peace if you keep doing what the psychopathic leaders want you to do.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

Religion really is obsolete. The way people treat each other has nothing to do with religion. First of all, secular philosophy and the age of enlightenment had a huge impact of our thinking today; to treat everyone right etc. Also, its the say everyone has a mutual understanding that they are part of a system, a civicl society that NEEDS you "do right" or treat others right.

The holy books are very tribal, there is very little to do with a shared humanity. The books speak of "gods elect" meaning that only people who are in that religion are holy or get to go to heaven which is a load of crap. And don't bother responding by interpreting it the way you learned it because there are a hundred other interpretations that other people learned to.

"Religion really is obsolete."

Religion is as simple as belief about the nature of the universe. In what way is such belief obsolete?

I'm not talking about the "personal religion" thing and the idea of "anything can be a religion". I'm talking mainly about the religions that have had a lot of history and culture, ala the Abrahamic trio.

Nowadays, a lot of liberal or progressive people in the west go "religion is personal to me", well congratulations. But the belief system you draw from had a history of oppression (with religious text to support it), amongst other things.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Much less annoying than atheists.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

I would say religion is misrepresented.

There are billions of people worshiping some form of religion, and regardless of what your views on religious beliefs are, it is illogical and unfair to class everyone following religious beliefs to be homogenous in nature. Just because some fanatical Westbro Baptist Church member is homophobic doesn't mean that every Christian is homophobic and bigoted. Just because there is a suicide bomber of Islamic faith doesn't mean every follower of Islam wants to murder.

My belief is that religion can be a tool for both good and evil, and it seems that the people using it for evil acts get all the coverage. Numerous religious organisations (Salvos, Vinnies, etc) have helped millions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Controlling

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL at the atheist insecurity in here....I'd choose personal for the word. And wonder why otherwise so called liberals for every other agenda have an intolerance and discrimination toward the religious. Next time you're patting yourselves on the back for your open minded views....remember how utterly closed minded and bigoted you are in this regard.

Hypocrites.

Now I know you spent a lot of time and effort forming that opinion....most intelligent thing I've ever seen you post.....but I'm really not at all bothered by the close minded atheists here. Better luck next time.....;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

LOL at the atheist insecurity in here....I'd choose personal for the word. And wonder why otherwise so called liberals for every other agenda have an intolerance and discrimination toward the religious. Next time you're patting yourselves on the back for your open minded views....remember how utterly closed minded and bigoted you are in this regard.

Hypocrites.

Yet it's religious people who are leading the vast majority of anti LGBT laws in the world. So much for keeping your beliefs personal.

Attacking crazy religious people is not an attack on all religious people. If you get offended by people pushing for secularism then you should really look closer at your own views.

It's SOME religious people....as well as non religious people. Why generalize and stereotype everyone? Do you like it when people assume you fit a stereotype?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lonewolf604

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

Religion really is obsolete. The way people treat each other has nothing to do with religion. First of all, secular philosophy and the age of enlightenment had a huge impact of our thinking today; to treat everyone right etc. Also, its the say everyone has a mutual understanding that they are part of a system, a civicl society that NEEDS you "do right" or treat others right.

The holy books are very tribal, there is very little to do with a shared humanity. The books speak of "gods elect" meaning that only people who are in that religion are holy or get to go to heaven which is a load of crap. And don't bother responding by interpreting it the way you learned it because there are a hundred other interpretations that other people learned to.

Religion is as simple as belief about the nature of the universe. In what way is such belief obsolete?

I'm not talking about the "personal religion" thing and the idea of "anything can be a religion". I'm talking mainly about the religions that have had a lot of history and culture, ala the Abrahamic trio.

Nowadays, a lot of liberal or progressive people in the west go "religion is personal to me", well congratulations. But the belief system you draw from had a history of oppression (with religious text to support it), amongst other things.

"the belief system you draw from had a history of oppression (with religious text to support it), amongst other things."

What makes you think you know what everyone's personal beliefs are and from where they are drawn?

I don't, but when someone labels themselves as religious and ignore what that system has (actually) stood for, then I have a problem with that. It is obvious that when people personalize that belief system, they are changing it to suit today's societal standards.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Controlling

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hypocrites.

Now I know you spent a lot of time and effort forming that opinion....most intelligent thing I've ever seen you post.....but I'm really not at all bothered by the close minded atheists here. Better luck next time.....;)

Yeah how could you possibly be bothered when you know you have Old Grey Beard watching over you from above.

ohh emm gee what a closed minded thing for me to say!

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lonewolf604

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

"the belief system you draw from had a history of oppression (with religious text to support it), amongst other things."

What makes you think you know what everyone's personal beliefs are and from where they are drawn?

I don't, but when someone labels themselves as religious and ignore what that system has (actually) stood for, then I have a problem with that. It is obvious that when people personalize that belief system, they are changing it to suit today's societal standards.

"but when someone labels themselves as religious and ignore what that system has (actually) stood for, then I have a problem"

How can you have a problem with that if you don't even know what that system has stood for?

You're making the mistake that so many others in this thread are also making. You're taking an extremely narrow-minded approach to what is religion.

Okay...then enlighten me. If I am wrong then tell me what you think it stands for? Because everything that I mentioned is supported by religious text. If you're going to say "well, religion is about peace and loving each other", then those aren't really central ideas in religion. Those have only become centralized because of secular philosophy and industrialization.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Controlling

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hypocrites.

Yeah how could you possibly be bothered when you know you have Old Grey Beard watching over you from above.

ohh emm gee what a closed minded thing for me to say!

You really try too hard......shame.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

ALLEGORICAL.
what was meant initially centuries ago to spread wisdom and understanding of our world, has become the sword of confirmation bias, and the fuel of our modern day tribalism.

Everything can be rationalized to make sense to reader in intellectually-safe and in intellectually-dangerous ways depending on the person.

It's allegorical because an intelligent person can derive all the parts of a text that hint at their personal shortcomings, faults, areas of improvement, while writing off any text that suggest ridiculous, untimely, manipulative or even socially taboo things.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts

R.E.M

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hypocrites.

Yet it's religious people who are leading the vast majority of anti LGBT laws in the world. So much for keeping your beliefs personal.

Attacking crazy religious people is not an attack on all religious people. If you get offended by people pushing for secularism then you should really look closer at your own views.

It's SOME religious people....as well as non religious people. Why generalize and stereotype everyone? Do you like it when people assume you fit a stereotype?

Like I said "If you get offended by people pushing for secularism then you should really look closer at your own views." I didn't stereotype anyone, I was talking about a specific group of people yet you got offended anyway.

You're just insecure and think everyone is out to get you when the reality is that region is not under attack and most likely won't be for a very long time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@toast_burner said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Hypocrites.

Like I said "If you get offended by people pushing for secularism then you should really look closer at your own views." I didn't stereotype anyone, I was talking about a specific group of people yet you got offended anyway.

You're just insecure and think everyone is out to get you when the reality is that region is not under attack and most likely won't be for a very long time.

I'm not offended in the least. What you think doesn't matter to me. You really shouldn't read posts as personal dude. I mean you seem offended over my view of atheists I've encountered here. But notice that wasn't my objection to you. It was your black and white look at the issue.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By lonewolf604

@thegerg said:

"If I am wrong then tell me what you think it stands for?"

What does what stand for? There are countless "systems."

"Because everything that I mentioned is supported by religious text."

You do understand that not all religion is influenced by all religious texts, right?

True, but what stands out to me (because of the west, and middle east) are the 3 abrahamic religions. There is Taoism, Buddism, etc. But those don't get as much publicity as the other ones.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Inconsistent

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

SSDD

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

obtuse/stolid

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 lonewolf604

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

@thegerg said:

"If I am wrong then tell me what you think it stands for?"

What does what stand for? There are countless "systems."

"Because everything that I mentioned is supported by religious text."

You do understand that not all religion is influenced by all religious texts, right?

True, but what stands out to me (because of the west, and middle east) are the 3 abrahamic religions. There is Taoism, Buddism, etc. But those don't get as much publicity as the other ones.

"True"

Of course it's true. You're generalizing and drawing connections that simply aren't there.

You're making the mistake that so many others in this thread are also making. You're taking an extremely narrow-minded approach to what is religion.

Okay, then how is it any different than generalizing all atheists? It only seems we're close minded because we are responding to another extreme. And I go back to my original post where I said religion is obsolete. Everything that is today (progress) is a result of other things, not religion.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Broad, nuanced, fantastical.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@toast_burner:

Franco Zeffirelli (I respect this guy because he's a non bigot LGBT .... unlike some lgbt behaving in terror kind of manner)

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

@Master_Live: I know the author of this thread didn't specify, but I assume the poster meant REAL words when he made this thread.

What's wrong, I thought you atheists, (and I am assuming you are atheist because you just referred to religion as suckish) believed in the words of brilliant scientists like Stephen Jay Gould. Surely you can come up with a slightly more educated word than "suckish" I hope. I also hope you take philosophy seriously, mr. moderator.

And I think religion is necessary because with all of the problems in my life, I do not need to deal with the Existential Problem in addition to trying to find a job and finish college.

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

Religion

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#85 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@playmynutz said:
@The-Apostle said:

@playmynutz said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

Atheist Bigotry exist - 2014

That was three

...And one number

Doesn't count

You corrected him which causes his statement to be invalid, but your statement remains true.

That doesn't change the fact that atheists who sue to get Christian stuff taken down are, in fact, bigots.

Now you corrected him and his statement has become invalid

Boom
Now who's invalid

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
@hippiesanta said:

@toast_burner:

Franco Zeffirelli (I respect this guy because he's a non bigot LGBT .... unlike some lgbt behaving in terror kind of manner)

Yes because being public about your sexuality makes you a terrorist.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Complicated.

To speak of religion as a whole is difficult as not all religions and ways to practice those religions ought to be treated as equal. The Jihadist simply is not to be put in the same category as a missionary that helps provide well water for tribes in Africa. I support the latter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
@chaoscougar1 said:

@playmynutz said:
@The-Apostle said:

@playmynutz said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

Atheist Bigotry exist - 2014

That was three

...And one number

Doesn't count

You corrected him which causes his statement to be invalid, but your statement remains true.

That doesn't change the fact that atheists who sue to get Christian stuff taken down are, in fact, bigots.

Now you corrected him and his statement has become invalid

Boom

Now who's invalid

lol

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@mindstorm said:

Complicated.

To speak of religion as a whole is difficult as not all religions and ways to practice those religions ought to be treated as equal. The Jihadist simply is not to be put in the same category as a missionary that helps provide well water for tribes in Africa. I support the latter.

your post makes some atheist burning from the inside

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90  Edited By MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

Archaic.

People from thousands of years ago's guesses at how the world and universe came to be and their prejudices have no place in our modern-day society.

I understand fully how and why we have so many people still believing in them, and I would never put them down for it knowing those reasons. However, I still cringe at the thought of people using ancient books to keep women, LGBT people, etc. down. Humans don't need any more excuses to be prejudiced and spread their prejudices, and religion is the perfect excuse for them.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

"Whatever." That is "who cares?" If people want to believe in whatever deity or doctrine that helps them get on with life, then let them. Who cares?

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Useless

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Crazy

A few nights ago , my mom was watching a show called "Five Wives" that's about this guy, his five wives, and his 24 (yes, 24) kids. I asked, "how dumb can you be to have 24 kids?" Then my mom got pissy and said "It's a part of his religion!" I didn't say anything or ask what his religion was. But I don't give a shit what the dude's religion is. If you're dumb enough to have five wives and 24 kids because some book tells you to, then you need to get your priorities straight. Their grocery bill ALONE is $4,000 a month. Because long live his religion and to hell with his financial security, right? And where is it legal to have five wives? It looked like it was taking place in the US; let me guess...Utah.

The last thing we need is people having fucktons of kids because some doctrine tells them to. The planet has 7.1 billion people. We don't need any more. In fact, we need a decline.

And finally, I don't care what religion you practice so long as you don't use it as an excuse to be an asshole.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#94 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Kind of seems like a bad idea to try to sum up religion in one word. Either you'll have to describe religion in an abstract sense, in which case you won't be able to say much that's meaningful, or you'll have to generalize about religion based on specific religions or religious sects. Either way seems like a bad idea.