US Population Grows At Slowest Rate Since 1937.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Master_Live (14405 posts) -

U.S. Population Grows At Slowest Rate Since The Great Depression

From the article:

America's population is growing at its slowest rate in decades, and the sluggish economy is mostly to blame, according to one expert.

The U.S. population grew by just 0.72 percent in the year ended July 1, 2013, the Census Bureau reported Monday. That’s the slowest growth rate since 1937.

Indeed, this recent period of economic malaise has been plagued by low birth rates, fewer marriages and limited mobility, especially for America’s young people. Typically in a strong economy, workers and immigrants travel to where the jobs are, but the Census data show they’re not really moving, Frey said.

U.S. population growth is expected to slow even more in the next few decades, though that’s largely not attributable to a weak economy, Frey said. Instead, the slow growth will mostly be the result of an aging population.

#2 Posted by GazaAli (22657 posts) -

Seems like the U.S will be heading Europe's way soon rofl

#3 Edited by Renevent42 (5179 posts) -

This is a good thing IMO.

#4 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9648 posts) -

Welp............... immigrants arent coming in like they use to.

EU and Latino immigrants have slowed down. I heard Asians were on the rise tho, but still far behind compared to the rest of the immigrants.

#5 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3817 posts) -

people need to have more kids.

More and more people are gonna have sad empty lifes.

#6 Posted by plageus900 (1042 posts) -

You can count me out of that. :P

#7 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

Well I had a kid last May so I am doing my part to help the population problem.

#8 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Good, we have too many people as is.

#9 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3817 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

You can count me out of that. :P

have an empty life then.

#10 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

What oh what will I do without some screaming snot-nosed brat shitting himself every day and crying when I don't buy him the latest bullshit to lighten up my life?

#11 Posted by plageus900 (1042 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch: My wife and I are perfectly happy without some crying, shitting, little hellion.

#12 Posted by dave123321 (33979 posts) -
#13 Posted by xdude85 (4392 posts) -

There are too many humans anyway.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (23495 posts) -

looks like that abstinence only education was too effective

#15 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

Compared to other countries, the rate of decline of U.S. population growth has been pretty sluggish.

#16 Posted by 4nationfury (606 posts) -

Best news I've heard all week.

#17 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@Makhaidos: just be a better parent or person

I don't need to be a better parent, because I'm not nor will I become one. As for becoming a better person. . .working on that.

#18 Edited by BranKetra (48435 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

U.S. Population Grows At Slowest Rate Since The Great Depression

From the article:

America's population is growing at its slowest rate in decades, and the sluggish economy is mostly to blame, according to one expert.

The U.S. population grew by just 0.72 percent in the year ended July 1, 2013, the Census Bureau reported Monday. That’s the slowest growth rate since 1937.

Indeed, this recent period of economic malaise has been plagued by low birth rates, fewer marriages and limited mobility, especially for America’s young people. Typically in a strong economy, workers and immigrants travel to where the jobs are, but the Census data show they’re not really moving, Frey said.

U.S. population growth is expected to slow even more in the next few decades, though that’s largely not attributable to a weak economy, Frey said. Instead, the slow growth will mostly be the result of an aging population.

America's population a few decades from now will be like Japan currently according to William Frey who is the man that told the huffington post the quoted information in this post.

#19 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3817 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch: My wife and I are perfectly happy without some crying, shitting, little hellion.

I really feel that when you get older you'll feel lonely with little family and you will feel like you'd accomplished very little in life.

by then you'll be infertile and sad.

#20 Posted by plageus900 (1042 posts) -
#21 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15975 posts) -

We already have two kids. Our job is done. Now, the wife and I rock the house just for the heck of it.

#22 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

Carrying capacity is fun!

#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

You need to have two more before you actually start becoming part of the problem. :P

#25 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Don't worry, the Duggars will find a way to keep having kids and restart the increase of population growth.

#26 Edited by KHAndAnime (13620 posts) -

Population isn't supposed to steadily rise - it simply reaches a point where the population is only sustained by the amount of resources and space made available to said population. That point will be reached slowly, and we're not already far from said point. I think it's around...10-12 billion?

#27 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

@cynical_buzzard said:

You need to have two more before you actually start becoming part of the problem. :P

Well the wife and I plan on having three more.:P

#28 Posted by toast_burner (21498 posts) -

If anything the problem is over population.

#29 Posted by Diablo-B (4032 posts) -

Most first world countries are seeing slower population growth. Kids are expensive, women are putting off marriage to get a degree and career first, and men are putting off/avoiding marriage because the family court system are biased against them and there risk reward for men to get married/have kids is very small.

#30 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

This is a good thing.

#31 Posted by comp_atkins (31328 posts) -
#32 Posted by Renevent42 (5179 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

What oh what will I do without some screaming snot-nosed brat shitting himself every day and crying when I don't buy him the latest bullshit to lighten up my life?

I don't agree with what MakeMeaSammitch said but that's just as ignorant.

#33 Posted by espoac (4207 posts) -

We should be happy that people no longer feel obligated by social pressure to have kids. This hopefully means that more children will be raised by parents who consciously decided to get pregnant and who have the emotional and financial stability to provide the right environment and opportunities.

This does mean, however, that old people will have to stop benefiting more from social security and medicare than they put in.