Uruguay to become first nation to legalize marijuana

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) 10 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Uruguay to become first nation to legalize marijuana (29 votes)

It's a hit 83%
Can't handle it 17%

Story

Uruguay's Senate approved a proposal Tuesday to legalize marijuana in the South American country.

Applause and cheers rang out in the chamber after the high-profile vote at the end of a lengthy debate on the bill.

The measure has already passed Uruguay's lower house, and President Jose Mujica has said he supports it.

Tuesday's 16-13 vote brings the country one step closer to becoming the first to legally regulate the production, distribution and sale of the drug.

It may be little Uruguay but it's certainly a milestone. If conservative propaganda is to be believed the whole of the country is about to drop into a brain-dead stupor. Production will grind to a halt. People will stop showing up for work. Dogs and cats sleeping together, the dead risi...

Whether you're a toker or not, if you don't think the whole idea of treating smot pokers as criminals is lunacy then we just aren't going to get along.

#1 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

I thought I smelled something strange coming up from the south. Figured it was just Miami preparing for the winter harvest.

#2 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

Great for them

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

Like.

#4 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Great now the governments gonna start regualating taco bell and chettos.

#5 Posted by Iszdope (9873 posts) -

Baby steps.

#6 Posted by Aljosa23 (24846 posts) -

Cool.

Keep that other shit illegal, though.

#7 Edited by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

#8 Edited by Aljosa23 (24846 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

Don't see a reason why to legalize them. Not all drugs are the same. Just don't put people in prison for doing them.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (88053 posts) -

Their tourism rates will now skyrocket.

#10 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

Don't see a reason why to legalize them. Not all drugs are the same. Just don't put people in prison for doing them.

So where do you propose they obtain the drugs? If you're saying they shouldn't go to jail for doing them, shouldn't they also logically not go to jail for obtaining them?

#11 Posted by Aljosa23 (24846 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

So where do you propose they obtain the drugs? If you're saying they shouldn't go to jail for doing them, shouldn't they also logically not go to jail for obtaining them?

Couldn't care less about where a meth junkie gets his hit. And the bolded was implied but apologies if it didn't seem to be.

#12 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

Now stop killing LGBT people and maybe we'll start liking you.

#13 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@chrisrooR said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

Couldn't care less about where a meth junkie gets his hit. And the bolded was implied but apologies if it didn't seem to be.

The laws in America are already stupid. Just go buy a pack of sudafed; the general consensus that's starting to arise is why is America imprisoning people suffering from diseases.

#14 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

@CJL13 said:

Are you confusing Uruguay with some other country?

#15 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@CJL13 said:

Gay marriage is legal in Uruguay. I think you're thinking of Uganda, which is on a whole different continent.

#16 Posted by lostrib (35818 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@chrisrooR said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

The laws in America are already stupid. Just go buy a pack of sudafed; the general consensus that's starting to arise is why is America imprisoning people suffering from diseases.

Just don't buy another pack of sudafed, or the DEA will come knocking

#17 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6789 posts) -

Thank you Uruguay for setting a great example that I sincerely hope my country as well as others will follow.

You have to start somewhere.

#18 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Fightingfan said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@chrisrooR said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Why?

Just don't buy another pack of sudafed, or the DEA will come knocking

I just get my friends to buy me packs of bronaid with their driver's license :P

#19 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150713 posts) -

If there's one way to make sure your people are in line....it's keep them stoned.

#20 Posted by lostrib (35818 posts) -

Drugs are bad, m'kay

#21 Edited by GazaAli (22682 posts) -

To each his own. Coercion/abstinence is never a viable and effective technique or strategy to make people follow or reject a particular belief or course of action. That legislation however doesn't necessarily mean it will prove to be a good thing on the long run. Generally speaking I consider any form of substance abuse or dependency to be a lesser form for one to inhabit. I say this and I'm a smoker myself. In a truly progressive and prosperous state of society, people consider themselves happy, sovereign and leading satisfying lives that they do not find any utility or inclination for the consumption of any form of psychoactive or intoxicating substances. The desire or urge to consume any variety of mind-altering substance, I think, speaks for a state of affairs that is considerably lacking and in need of remedy.

So while I'm indifferent to the legislation and the general issue of drugs legalization, I don't think it is something to be celebrated if one takes a moment to reflect on things.

#22 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

If there's one way to make sure your people are in line....it's keep them stoned.

Usually they're in circles, not lines...

#23 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

@CJL13 said:

Gay marriage is legal in Uruguay. I think you're thinking of Uganda, which is on a whole different continent.

Whoops, I always get my countries that start with U mixed up.

#24 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

I'm all for it and would even go further and legalize all drugs. Regulate and tax them like alcohol.

#25 Posted by Master_Live (14423 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Coercion/abstinence is never a viable and effective technique or strategy to make people follow or reject a particular belief or course of action. In a truly progressive and prosperous state of society, people consider themselves happy, sovereign and leading satisfying lives that they do not find any utility or inclination for the consumption of any form of psychoactive or intoxicating substances.

Maybe we shouldn't have laws.

@GazaAli said:

In a truly progressive and prosperous state of society, people consider themselves happy, sovereign and leading satisfying lives that they do not find any utility or inclination for the consumption of any form of psychoactive or intoxicating substances.

You are so full of it. Where is this "truly progressive" society that you speak of? Would be part of it? So people cannot be unhappy in this "truly progressive" society? So in this "truly progressive" society people wouldn't find any utility on drinking wine?

#26 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12927 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

The desire or urge to consume any variety of mind-altering substance...

...gave rise to civilization. Seriously, alcohol is the reason people started farming, and farming lead to everything else.

The desire to alter ones mental state is also not confined to humans.

#27 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9651 posts) -

Uruguay only has a population of like 3 million... Nothing really goes on in Uruguay anyways, thats why most people forget they exist.

#28 Edited by lamprey263 (23525 posts) -

@CJL13 said:

I think you're thinking of Uganda, they were the ones with the "kill the gays" bill......

as for Uruguay...

Wikipedia says (from LGBT rights in Uruguay entry):

LGBT rights in Uruguay are among the most liberal in South America. Same-sex sexual activity is legal with an equal age of consent law since 1934, anti-discrimination laws are in place since 2003, gays and lesbians are allowed to serve openly in the military since 2009, same-sex couples have entered into civil unions since 2008 and since 2013, same-sex couples have entered into civil marriages in accordance with the nation's same-sex marriage law passed in early-2013.

#29 Edited by GazaAli (22682 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Maybe we shouldn't have laws.

That is one twisted interpretation of what I said. We should and we do have laws that protect rights and regulate all sorts of economic and social affairs. Those laws do dictate to a considerable extent what can or can't people do so obviously we do give up a part of our inherent liberty for these laws. But we do so in exchange for some other greater utility, like the utility of safety, economic security and social satisfaction. In short we're free by nature and the partial loss of liberty we experience by adhering and abiding by laws and regulations grants us some great enough utility to justify the compromise. However, when laws stop generating enough utility to justify the act of giving up parts of people's liberty for them they automatically lose their legitimacy and necessity and are ought to be revoked. In the case at hand and in the general case of coercing people into following a belief or adhering to a doctrine or abstain from an action, specially when any of those notions concerns no one but the individual himself, it is the inevitable that laws which enforce any instance of such "violations" of liberty will cease to generate any substantial utility to justify them and they're ought to be done with. It is true that at some point they were of benefit to society or that society was under the impression that they are of benefit to it and that's constitutes a large part of why they came into existence in the first place. But they eventually become obsolete and have to be replaced by some other laws. As far as marijuana laws are concerned, public opinion in many countries around the world has become intense enough to no longer justify the prohibition of weed. I say this and I'm not fond of the act of smoking weed or abusing any substance whatsoever.

You are so full of it. Where is this "truly progressive" society that you speak of? Would be part of it? So people cannot be unhappy in this "truly progressive" society? So in this "truly progressive" society people wouldn't find any utility on drinking wine?

This "truly progressive" society is, at least ideally speaking, is the destination of history and the goal of humanity. It is a concept that is inherently impossible to realize, but its the moving force of society towards a state of continuous advancement. Given the current level of scientific and technological advancements, I cannot think of a better and more fitting time for working towards such a society. Granted humanity may never get there and society and human affairs will always be plagued by certain flaws which will continue to be the source of human suffering, but it all remains relative.

#30 Posted by BossPerson (9456 posts) -
#31 Edited by Netret0120 (2084 posts) -

That means they can tax weed and make money off of it thus increasing the price. I feel bad for weed smokers in Uruguay:-(

#32 Posted by GazaAli (22682 posts) -

@GazaAli: man your english is good

shokran 7abibi :P

I've been on a mission to refine my English and learn Dutch too for the past 4 months or so. Its good to know its paying off.

#33 Posted by Kenocratic (92 posts) -

If they have good brownies I'd go there or to the Netherlands, or get brownies in Colorado where it's legit. No breaking law with me. So siree. Can't handle the smoke in the lungs, that's why the brownies.

#34 Edited by JML897 (33125 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

That means they can tax weed and make money off of it thus increasing the price. I feel bad for weed smokers in Uruguay:-(

This legalized marijuana is $1 a gram in Uruguay. That's a really good price.

They specifically want to make it cheap in order to undercut drug dealers.

#35 Posted by MrGeezer (56226 posts) -

#36 Posted by Celldrax (14595 posts) -

Small victory, but it's something.