UPDATED 10/09/13 - Rules and FAQ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Staff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Staff
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts

The Off-topic forum is the only place on GameSpot where games are not discussed. This is the place to be if you want to discuss everything outside games.

Rules are simple:

- Follow the Terms of Use, Community Code of Conduct, and read the FAQ.

- Game and platform discussions NOT allowed.

- Keep the discussions work friendly. More details in the FAQ.

- Do NOT post or bump extremely abusive discussions.

- Hate speech not permitted.

Off-Topic is being renovated... again. Our Mission: To provide a place where members can mingle and discuss non-gaming topics casually in a work friendly environment.

=====================================================================

FAQ

Off-Topic Rules changed again? WTF!

The last time we changed the rules we declared that they would be changed at any time.

What exactly do you mean by "Not Safe for Work?" or "Work-friendly?"

Not safe for work means content generally inappropriate for the typical workplace. Content that would not be acceptable in the presence of your boss or colleagues at a corporation or organization. If you want a not-so-work-friendly destination Off-Topic After Hours was made for you

What exactly does GameSpot consider NSFW?

The following topics, posts, and content are considered NSFW and will be considered moderate able content:

*Risqué/Suggestive Images (underwear or swimwear models)

*Salacious Content in the form of links, or imagery.

*Grim and or Shocking Content.

*Posting links to sites with dubious content.

What does respect others mean?

We expect others to be friendly to others in this forum.

But I need some tips I don't think I know how to be respectful?

Well we didn't think we'd have to define what it means to "Respect others" but apparently we do. So TO BE CLEAR:

- Refrain from mocking / antagonizing / harassing users.

- Stay on topic

- Avoid being disruptive (Posting in all capital letters, or large images)

Does this mean I can no longer report people for calling me a troll in this forum?

We mostly moderate offensive, illegal, and advertising content. But it is still possible to be banned for "trolling".

Can I call people gay or retarded?

Not acceptable. – See Code of Conduct.

What about sex talk / Too Hot to Post - Got the hots for a user?

Did a user in the latest "What do you look like" thread make you want to make love to your computer? Great. We do not want to hear about it. EVER! Do not post about your sexual desires or actions towards another user on the forum. Discussing sexual related content or sexually explicit content will result in moderation.

Hot Chick/Sexy Studs Threads are no longer accepted in this forum. PERIOD.

Off-Topic After Hours has been removed. No it is not coming back and no you are not welcome to post similar content in any of the main boards.

Religious and political discussions are no longer a big deal?

You are welcome to talk about your opinions in regards to various faiths, political agendas, or lack thereof. However the conversation must remain a discussion, baseless accusations and personal attacks will not be permitted. – See Code of Conduct.

I am seriously depressed and I am thinking about killing myself.

Yikes!If you are thinking about committing suicide, hurting yourself, or you are seriously depressed don't create a discussion in the forums. We instead urge you to please, seek professional help! Call this hotline (1-800-273-8255) operated by our friends at the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, anytime, for free, professional, and confidential assistance.

Hey there is this user who is harassing me, is there anything I can do?

Harassment in the Terms of Use is defined as:

Terms of Use wrote:

Continual harassing behavior directed towards a certain individual or group by another individual or group with the intent of creating an intimidating, offensive, or hostile environment on the Service, with or without use of explicit or implicit threats, is strictly prohibited. Posting contact or other private information of any person (Service user or not) is also prohibited. – See Code of Conduct.

If you believe you are in risk of being physically harmed or personally effected by actions such as hacking, tampering of personal information, etc. contact customer support immediately.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

New Rules for Off Topic as of March 19th, 2012.