unnecessary book to movie adaptations...

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jpph (3337 posts) -

i just watched the american. it's a good movie, but the book was better. it doesn't work properly on screen. what are some other examples?

also i'm worried about the hobbit. it'll probably be great, but is it necessary at all? unless it's totally spiffing, i'd say no.

#2 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Dune. It can't be done, not properly anyway.

#3 Posted by metroidprime55 (17657 posts) -
Percy Jackson and the Olympians.
#4 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

Eragon.

#5 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7842 posts) -

1oh1nine1
Ah man that movie sucked. The book was amazing, and the only thing about the movie that was decent was Patrick Stewart being in it.
#6 Posted by judog1 (24635 posts) -
Passion of the Christ. I'm pretty sure that movie was created just to create controversy.
#7 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

shutter island......

#8 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
Howl's Moving Castle... I cannot even begin to describe how awful of a movie adaption it is. It's in some ways worse than Blood & Chocolate in terms of bad movie adaptions.
#9 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

LOTR & Harry Potter

#10 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

LOTR & Harry Potter

themajormayor
LOTR? You mean the greatest trilogy of all time?
#11 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Less Than Zero.

#12 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

LOTR & Harry Potter

themajormayor
Lord of the Rings? What makes you say this?
#13 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

LOTR & Harry Potter

BossPerson

a

#14 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

LOTR & Harry Potter

BossPerson

by greatest you mean worst

#15 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

LOTR & Harry Potter

muller39

The books were much much better and atmospheric. I think this game made a much better adaption

#16 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -
Starship Troopers.
#17 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

LOTR & Harry Potter

muller39

Yeah. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings was a great story, but it was unbelievably dry and dull in its delivery. The movies gave it emotion and character.
#18 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]By worse you mean best? [QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]

LOTR & Harry Potter

almasdeathchild

a

Alright, just give me some real and rational reasons as to why LOTR didn't work for you

#19 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]LOTR? You mean the greatest trilogy of all time?BossPerson

a

Alright, just give me some real and rational reasons as to why LOTR didn't work for you?

I'm not saying it's bad. But it lost much atmosphere. Feels more like an action movie than this mystic and atmospheric tale. Listen to the music no mysticism just straight forward action BADABAM DABADM BAM. Also most actors sucked. The game I posted made it alot better.

#20 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

a

themajormayor

Alright, just give me some real and rational reasons as to why LOTR didn't work for you?

I'm not saying it's bad. But it lost much atmosphere. Feels more like an action movie than this mystic and atmospheric tale. Listen to the music no mysticism just straight forward action BADABAM DABADM BAM. Also most actors sucked. The game I posted made it alot better.

I have to respectfully disagree with everything you said.

Have you watched the extended editions? They make up for the loss of atmosphere of the theatrical versions...

Also, what's wrong with the music? Try thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY

#21 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]Alright, just give me some real and rational reasons as to why LOTR didn't work for you?

BossPerson

Have you watched the extended editions? They make up for the loss of atmosphere of the theatrical versions...

No I haven't. But how is that gonna change anything?? Look at that game I posted. For example in the movies when in the shire everything is like cheery and happy and like freaking tellytubbies. In this game you have this melancholic feeling even in the shire. So it's like yeah it's better than mordor but it's not paradise or anything. I like this much more than the straightforward good vs evil of the movies. It's more neutral vs evil if you know what I mean?
#22 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"] I'm not saying it's bad. But it lost much atmosphere. Feels more like an action movie than this mystic and atmospheric tale. Listen to the music no mysticism just straight forward action BADABAM DABADM BAM. Also most actors sucked. The game I posted made it alot better.

themajormayor

No I haven't. But how is that gonna change anything?? Look at that game I posted. For example in the movies when in the shire everything is like cheery and happy and like freaking tellytubbies. In this game you have this melancholic feeling even in the shire. So it's like yeah it's better than mordor but it's not paradise or anything. I like this much more than the straightforward good vs evil of the movies. It's more neutral vs evil if you know what I mean?

Go read Warhammer 40k if you're so keen on grimdark fantasy.
#23 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]I have to respectfully disagree with everything you said.

Tylendal

Go read Warhammer 40k if you're so keen on grimdark fantasy.

I got a much darker feeling in the book than in the movie so I don't have to. It was 10 years ago though.

#24 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28155 posts) -
themajormayor is trying too hard.
#26 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]themajormayor is trying too hard.themajormayor

a

That.....is...........disgusting.

#27 Posted by MirkoS77 (7786 posts) -

1oh1nine1

Damn that was fast. Agreed, trying to squeeze it into a 2-3 hour movie is simply impossible.

#28 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (4142 posts) -

I'm not a book snob that likes to look intellectual by saying "eh, the book was SO much better" for every single book adaptation. Heck, in a lot of cases, some of the best films were based on books.

Comic book movies are what people should really be getting pissed about. Really? Where starting from the beginning in Spiderman again? That's not going to be boring.

#29 Posted by SaintWalrus (1728 posts) -

Inception

#30 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

LOTR & Harry Potter

almasdeathchild

says the guy who praises The Boondock Saints and Final Destination series...

#31 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -
chronicles of narnia voyage of dawn treader. the movie was a standard 1:40 minutes film (im not sure if that was the exact duration) and the guys try to put up ALL the events from the book, so in the end every event lasts like 5 minutes which makes it very lackluster. angels and demons: a completly dumbed down version of the book. twilight: the book was bad enough
#32 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -

When is there ever a NECESSARY book to movie adaptation? It's all purely for entertainment. If you don't like it don't watch it.

#33 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

LOTR

themajormayor

I have killed for less egregious statements.

#34 Posted by thegerg (15654 posts) -
Can you name an adaptation that was necessary? No adaptations are necessary.
#35 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40117 posts) -

LOTR & Harry Potter

almasdeathchild

Who the hell mentioned Star Wars (Ep 1,2 and 3)???

#36 Posted by lightleggy (16067 posts) -

[QUOTE="BossPerson"]LOTR? You mean the greatest trilogy of all time?Johnny_Rock

Who the hell mentioned Star Wars (Ep 1,2 and 3)???

and 4 5 and 6 and everything star wars related
#37 Posted by Deihjan (30213 posts) -
Most of them. Not even the Lotr films, even though they were great, can do the human imagination justice.
#38 Posted by sSubZerOo (43331 posts) -
.. Starship Troopers.. Outside of the characters name and the fact he was fighting arachnids, nothing else was even remotely accurate compared to the book..
#39 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Twilight. The movies are just so boring compared to the books.
#40 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
Twilight. The movies are just so boring compared to the books.NiKva
I've read those books... those must be some really, Really, REALLY boring movies.
#41 Posted by soulless4now (41381 posts) -
Twilight. The movies are just so boring compared to the books.NiKva
Those bad movies make reading those horribly written books hilarious.
#42 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

The Golden Compass. I didn't see the movie adaptation; I just think it's unnecessary.

#43 Posted by darkspineslayer (20005 posts) -
The Cat in the hat...let's all pause and remember they extended a 12 page book with a vocabulary of less than 300 words into a 2 hour film that raked in far more than it deserved.
#44 Posted by Avian005 (4112 posts) -

The Golden Compass. I didn't see the movie adaptation; I just think it's unnecessary.

SirWander

I saw the adaption, it wasn't worth it in any way. I heard they cut a lot of the darker stuff out to not piss some people off.

#45 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20895 posts) -

1oh1nine1
After I saw that movie for the first time in my life I thought about killing myself.
#46 Posted by Philokalia (3238 posts) -

SirWander
Thank GOD there wasnt a sequel movie.
#47 Posted by thesaracen123 (139 posts) -

shutter island......

almasdeathchild

Huh? The movie was one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen. The only differences were that the main character doesn't wear his hat, the ending quote, and one or two dream sequences. All but the last were trivial changes,

#48 Posted by Sunsha (20644 posts) -
The Twilight series. It never should have even been a book.
#49 Posted by Tylendal (14680 posts) -
The Devil Wears Prada In the movie, they actually gave the boss the tiniest bit of likeability at the very end. That's not the point at all.
#50 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

.. Starship Troopers.. Outside of the characters name and the fact he was fighting arachnids, nothing else was even remotely accurate compared to the book.. sSubZerOo

I think that was the idea, it was more or less meant to be a parody of it.