Unemployment Rate Falls to 7.8%

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent last month, dropping below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years and giving President Barack Obama a potential boost with the election a month away...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-jobless-rate-falls-7-123110106.html

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Grasping at straws here.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Ok.. so what's the real percentage number then.. 13?!

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Exactly. Something smells here.

Not saying there is a conspiracy or the numbers are fudged, but something doesn't add up.

If you look at the entire set of numbers, the actual amount of people that are out of work went up from last month, it is just that more people have given up looking for work, a group which is NOT counted in the unemployment numbers. Another issue with this, is the reason the rate dropped is because most of the jobs produced are PART-TIME jobs, not full-time work.

I just love how Obama tanked the debates and now we get this. The only sector to produce jobs was government jobs. (I am sure the Obama faithful will hammer me for this)

I would love to see the real unemployment numbers, not the numbers that do not count those that have given up looking for employment.

Another thing I am sure will happem, Obama will take full credit for this. The real credit should go to the governers of the states that actually produced results...if any credit should really be given at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I know that the GOP will try to bring up the "real" unemployment number, but considering that this 7.8% is compared to the unemplyment numbers of the same type for previous Presidents, using the "real" number probably won't stick with people.

The general public won't want to dive into the meaning behind this number anyway. They'll only see this signle percentage and make a judgement.

It's sad that now the GOP leaders and Fox News are saying these numbers are fudged. That's grasping at straws.

The fact is that we've had slow, but steady job growth for quite a long time. It isn't idea, but it's far better than the hemorhagging that happened in 2008 and early 2009.

None of the policies put by Mitt Romney suggest that he or GOP could have done any better.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 danjammer69

Another thing I forgot to add, let us not forget that seasonal hiring, or hiring for the Christmas holiday has already started. This is a rather large portion of new-hires this time of year and is figured into regular employment numbers.

I am not saying that an improvement in unemployment has not taken place. I am just saying that 7.8% should be taken with a grain of salt and also looked at a bit more deeply. There are reasons this time of year for the rate to go down. Retail businesses hire part-time employees like mad this time of year, with most of the workers not kept on come the January after the holidays.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

well that's surprisingly good news. Politics aside we have had an 8% barrier for far too long, and this could boost people's general moral.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Some may say that this is bad but what's bad about people being employed?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts
it's obviously false... i mean. it it rose by 0.3% then it would have made sense.. but dropping by 0.3%.. clearly manipulation.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

well that's surprisingly good news. Politics aside we have had an 8% barrier for far too long, and this could boost people's general moral.

Serraph105
It just means some people were dropped from the unemployment rolls....not that they found jobs. You can only stay on unemployment for a specific number of weeks.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Yet there were fewer jobs created last month than the prior month.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I think the rate is 8.5% in Connecticut.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DevilMightCry

whipassmt
9.1 in Georgia.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

DevilMightCry

9.1 in Georgia.

Dayum. Economic stimulus my ass.

Edit: Actually the latest numbers from the CT Dept. of Labor show that the Connecticut unemployment rate has risen to 9%, though some state officials are skeptical of the these numbers.

New Jersey and New York's unemployment rates also rose (NJ is 9.8% and NY is 9.1%).

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wellbigd
[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

DevilMightCry
9.1 in Georgia.

6.8 in Delware
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="whipassmt"]

wellbigd
9.1 in Georgia.

6.8 in Delware

8.133 average of the three
wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wellbigd
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="wellbigd"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] 9.1 in Georgia.

6.8 in Delware

Yea well I think nj is at 10
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
8.6 of the 4.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Something smells fishy.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whipassmt

So the unemployment rate was 8% and now it's 7.8%, which rounds to 8%, so it's still pretty much the same.

Of course when the HHS mandate goes into effect for religiously-affiliated employers in August 2013 and the government starts fining them $100 per employee per day guess what's gonna happen - these employers will probably start laying workers off (I bet they are already not hiring) to reduce the fines.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whipassmt

By the way the Unemployment rate was 5.5% at this point (i.e. Oct. 2004) in the Bush Administration.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whipassmt

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="wellbigd"] 6.8 in Delwarewellbigd

Yea well I think nj is at 10

Yep. Pretty much (it's 9.8) .

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
It's a conspuracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b78379493e12

The previous two months were also rounded up, which can partly account for the change in percent.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whipassmt

The previous two months were also rounded up, which can partly account for the change in percent.

jimkabrhel

What do you mean. Do you mean they rounded up for the last months and then rounded down this month.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

whipassmt

What do you mean. Do you mean they rounded up for the last months and then rounded down this month.

They revised the previous months' jobs reports upward.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

whipassmt

It's means that the numbers listed currently are often preliminary and the numbers for the previous months are reexamined and adjusted. This happens all the time.

I would also say that if the incumbent was a Republican, the spin on the number would be the exact opposite.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

Abbeten

They revised the previous months' jobs reports upward.

oh, so this month they said that more people got employed last month than last month's report said.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

It's means that the numbers listed currently are often preliminary and the numbers for the previous months are reexamined and adjusted. This happens all the time.

I would also say that if the incumbent was a Republican, the spin on the number would be the exact opposite.

I agree, if this was under Bush, liberals would be crying about how high the jobless rate was and how puny the decrease was. That's a double-standard and double-standards aren't right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] What do you mean. Do you mean they rounded up for the last months and then rounded down this month.

whipassmt

I agree, if this was under Bush, liberals would be crying about how high the jobless rate was and how puny the decrease was. That's a double-standard and double-standards aren't right.

So it comes down to which side you are on, and how you spin the data. If you don't like it, you'll find a way to undermine it. I'ts hilarious that the GOP has resorted to the "the data's been fudge" tack. It's pathetic.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

So it comes down to which side you are on, and how you spin the data. If you don't like it, you'll find a way to undermine it. I'ts hilarious that the GOP has resorted to the "the data's been fudge" tack. It's pathetic.

Don't double-standards suck.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 danjammer69

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] What do you mean. Do you mean they rounded up for the last months and then rounded down this month.

whipassmt

Politics are politics. I can't deny a bias as I have voted Convervative since 1996. But if I truly believed that the unemployment numbers are truly coming down I would admit it. My political affiliations do not get in the way of the fact that I do not want our country to suffer and for people to remain unemployed.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

This isn't decisive. All the Republicvnts have to do is come in with U6 figures and call it the "REAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE" and the sad part is that they'll actually believe that bullsh!t because their economic knowledge is beyond terrible.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Barbariser

By the way the Unemployment rate was 5.5% at this point (i.e. Oct. 2004) in the Bush Administration.

whipassmt

What's your point? That Obama can't get unemployment to be the same in a recessed economy as a boom economy? As a matter of fact, that figure actually shows how utterly incompetent Bush was - full employment is 4% U3, and he couldn't get full employment when there was a fvcking economic boom!

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I don't necessarily agree with the criticisms of the current metric of unemployment rate (which generally revolves around the idea that people who stop looking for work are not counted in the labor force, which "artificially" increases or decreases the unemployment rate), and here's why.

The clasical economic discussion is the labor-leisure tradeoff, where an individual makes a decision to work or not to work. However, you could see a different choice framework, which is the decision to look for a job or not to look for a job. Under an assumption of complete information, you could argue that an individual who has stopped looking for a job has weighed the expected benefits from the job search (a function of the probability of getting the job and the expected payment from that job) versus the expected costs (lost leisure time from a fruitless job search). Under this type of model, an individual could exit the labor force in a rational manner. This type of individual most certainly should not be counted in the unemployment rate, because he has rationally made the choice not to look for the job.

Of course, the main criticism of this model is from an information perspective, in that a person might not correctly assess the expected benefits (or expected costs) of the job search. This criticism likely has merit from the standpoint of individuals who spend time searching for a job and then drop out of the labor force (although this is confounded by things like unemployment benefits), suggesting that they had incomplete information when they began their search, and updated that information as the job search continued (another possible explanation, of course, is that for some reason their expected benefits vs expected costs actually changed during the course of the job search).

So this simple model is far from perfect, although it does suggest a reason not to include those who stopped looking for work in the unemployment figures.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

Barbariser

What's your point? That Obama can't get unemployment to be the same in a recessed economy as a boom economy? As a matter of fact, that figure actually shows how utterly incompetent Bush was - full employment is 4% U3, and he couldn't get full employment when there was a fvcking economic boom!

Your last statement about full employment says a lot about your knowledge of economics. It is virtually impossible to have a zero unemployment rate. Unless you're living in 1980 USSR where everyone is employed...by the government.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Barbariser

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

DevilMightCry

Your last statement about full employment says a lot about your knowledge of economics. It is virtually impossible to have a zero unemployment rate. Unless you're living in 1980 USSR where everyone is employed...by the government.

Your entire comment says a lot about your ability to read.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DevilMightCry

[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="Barbariser"]

Barbariser

Bush inherited a recession. He did't enter a booming economy. So are you saying that we DID have an economic boom under Bush policies?

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Barbariser

[QUOTE="Barbariser"] [QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="Barbariser"] What's your point? That Obama can't get unemployment to be the same in a recessed economy as a boom economy? As a matter of fact, that figure actually shows how utterly incompetent Bush was - full employment is 4% U3, and he couldn't get full employment when there was a fvcking economic boom! DevilMightCry

Bush inherited a recession. He did't enter a booming economy. So are you saying that we DID have an economic boom under Bush policlies?

Firstly, I like how you're going off on a completely different line of argument here. In any case, Bush's recession was tiny and insignificant, as evidenced by how utterly negligible its effect was on the U.S. economy (a contraction of less than one third of a % of GDP over an 8 month period), and is hardly comparable to what happened in 2008. The fact that the economy boomed under Bush is probably not much due to his policies, which were basically just tax cuts, but because of the fact that there was a ginormous housing bubble that led to our 2008 recession. Economically, what Bush did right was sign free trade agreements and launch stimulus programs when the recession began. However, overall he was not good for the U.S.; a man who pushes for tax cuts and launches trillion dollar wars is a man who doesn't know basic math let alone economics.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

The GOP sure loves their conspiracy theories

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 danjammer69

This isn't decisive. All the Republicvnts have to do is come in with U6 figures and call it the "REAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE" and the sad part is that they'll actually believe that bullsh!t because their economic knowledge is beyond terrible.

Barbariser
Yes, you are so right. Every Republican's knowledge of the economy is terrible. Brilliant. I openly admit my own bias, but I will rarely spout off complete nonsense about democrats like that. It just sounds outright stupid. You do know that not every conservative/republican is a gun toting, jesus preaching, close-minded evolution denying idiot right? The only reason I call myself a republican is because of the way I have voted the last 20 years. I am certainly not close minded and I will NEVER vote right down party lines., and there are many people just like me. I believe that abortion should be allowed in certain circumstances, a certain amount (although minimal) role of government is important, some social programs are vital (but I think any form of welfare should be short-term), poor people should not be neglected, that gun-control should not be non-existant, Embryonic Stem Cell Research should be funded heavily, Euthanasia & Physician-assisted suicide should be a DYING person's choice, I support gay marriage, and also keeping the church out of government and schools, ... I can go on and on. But there are also many other views I have that I truly believe in. What I find most important beyond just about anything is a strong military and national defense program. I believe in free market, LEGAL immigration, I despise Affirmative Action, believe in the death penalty, I also think that the School Voucher Program is a good idea as parents should have the right to choose good schools for their children. I think we should be drilling for oil on a much larger scale in order to create energy independence for our country, and I am completely against nationalization of vital industries (gas, electric). I would also like the government to stay the hell away from my private property and that of others, especially when it concerns Eminent Domain. Also, the Social Security System in the US needs some bigtime overhaul. What I am getting at by telling you all of this is that we are not all the same (Republicans) and do not all have the same identical views. So you can continue to lump us all in together like you do, since we are all stupid when it comes to the economy and pretty much everything else that does not correspond with your views.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts
I figured that it would drop. Even though only 114,000 jobs were created, there were a ton of part time jobs also created. It definitely makes the president look better than he did, but I think his horrible debate performance ruined his week.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

whipassmt

What's your point? Different time, different circumstances. You do realize that 2004 was before the economic crash, right?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreySeal9

I figured that it would drop. Even though only 114,000 jobs were created, there were a ton of part time jobs also created. It definitely makes the president look better than he did, but I think his horrible debate performance ruined his week.cslayer211

Of course the debarte ruined his week, but the fact that the unemployment rate is below 8 will have way longer legs than a mediocre debate performance, which can be rectified next debate.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

whipassmt

Unless there was a recession in the year 2000, then it doesn't really compare.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

danjammer69

Yes, you are so right. Every Republican's knowledge of the economy is terrible. Brilliant. I openly admit my own bias, but I will rarely spout off complete nonsense about democrats like that. It just sounds outright stupid. You do know that not every conservative/republican is a gun toting, jesus preaching, close-minded evolution denying idiot right? The only reason I call myself a republican is because of the way I have voted the last 20 years. I am certainly not close minded and I will NEVER vote right down party lines., and there are many people just like me. I believe that abortion should be allowed in certain circumstances, a certain amount (although minimal) role of government is important, some social programs are vital (but I think any form of welfare should be short-term), poor people should not be neglected, that gun-control should not be non-existant, Embryonic Stem Cell Research should be funded heavily, Euthanasia & Physician-assisted suicide should be a DYING person's choice, I support gay marriage, and also keeping the church out of government and schools, ... I can go on and on. But there are also many other views I have that I truly believe in. What I find most important beyond just about anything is a strong military and national defense program. I believe in free market, LEGAL immigration, I despise Affirmative Action, believe in the death penalty, I also think that the School Voucher Program is a good idea as parents should have the right to choose good schools for their children. I think we should be drilling for oil on a much larger scale in order to create energy independence for our country, and I am completely against nationalization of vital industries (gas, electric). I would also like the government to stay the hell away from my private property and that of others, especially when it concerns Eminent Domain. Also, the Social Security System in the US needs some bigtime overhaul. What I am getting at by telling you all of this is that we are not all the same (Republicans) and do not all have the same identical views. So you can continue to lump us all in together like you do, since we are all stupid when it comes to the economy and pretty much everything else that does not correspond with your views.

You're quite defensive.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Barbariser

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

danjammer69

I'm sorry you wasted so much time talking about something irrelevant to what I said due to miscommunication. A Republicvnt is a specific subset of Republicans, and in no way encompasses the entire party of the G.O.P., just an extraordinarily and frighteningly large portion of it.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts

[QUOTE="cslayer211"]I figured that it would drop. Even though only 114,000 jobs were created, there were a ton of part time jobs also created. It definitely makes the president look better than he did, but I think his horrible debate performance ruined his week.GreySeal9

Of course the debarte ruined his week, but the fact that the unemployment rate is below 8 will have way longer legs than a mediocre debate performance, which can be rectified next debate.

Yeah, but Romney will just counter with real unemployment/say Obama promised it wouldn't go above 8% if his stimulus was passed. It really doesn't feel like it's getting any better either with 1.3% GDP growth.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="cslayer211"]I figured that it would drop. Even though only 114,000 jobs were created, there were a ton of part time jobs also created. It definitely makes the president look better than he did, but I think his horrible debate performance ruined his week.cslayer211

Yeah, but Romney will just counter with real unemployment/say Obama promised it wouldn't go above 8% if his stimulus was passed. It really doesn't feel like it's getting any better either with 1.3% GDP growth.

Regardless of Romney's counter statements, he lost a reliable attack line and this news undoubtedly helps Obama make the case that we are moving in the right direction. From now on, Romney's unemployment-based attacks are going to seem somewhat flatter.

Here's a good article on the subject.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Good for the US. My country unemployment rate is at 16,7%...

:(