Unemployment rate 5.5% Over half million jobs in 2 months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

So more good news for the economy is rolling in today, the national unemployment rate dropped to 5.5% in February by adding 295,000 jobs. Furthermore in the last two months alone we have added 550,000 jobs since January.

click below to read about it in greater detail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/business/economy/jobs-report-unemployment-february.html

Or click below if you just want to listen to the story.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/06/news/economy/february-jobs-295000-us-economy/index.html

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts

So wage growth is slowed across the board, then? Interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Are these decent jobs or part time min wage jobs?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105

@Storm_Marine said:

Are these decent jobs or part time min wage jobs?

click the new york times link for greater detail.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

Too bad that doesn't count the Millions who have stopped looking for work under Obummer

SHUT UP! Obama is saving America from the GOWP!

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Yeah, things always sound great if you listen only to Squealer's statistics.

That 5.5% number doesn't count the people who have grown so despondent that they've just given up looking for jobs.

For the real number, refer to Paul Craig Roberts (Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy under Ronald Reagan and former associate editor of the Wall Street Journal) ...

Real US unemployment: 23%

Link

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

Too bad that doesn't count the Millions who have stopped looking for work under Obummer

seriously.. i know some people like that.

now all they do all day is enjoy their retirement. it's terrible

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@TheWalkingGhost: When I hear Obamas' name I think of a line from Julius Cesar " The evil that men do live after them".

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

That 5.5% number doesn't count the people who have grown so despondent that they've just given up looking for jobs.

For the real number, refer to Paul Craig Roberts (Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy under Ronald Reagan and former associate editor of the Wall Street Journal) ...

Link

What unemployment figure is that? I would like to see how it's calculated. Based on that calculation, what would economists consider full employment? I want to see how close we are to it.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

If the economy is bad they blame obama, and when it's good, they still find a way to dig at obama.

some people are just never happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I remember a time when unemployment was 10%

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

The vast majority of the new jobs where in the service sector IE burger flippers.

Also main reason unemployment rate has been dropping is the labour participation rate has been dropping real fast for example another 354k working age people dropped out of the work force last month taking the total to 92.9m Americans not working, it's the worst % since the late 1970's

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Serraph105
@Newhopes said:

The vast majority of the new jobs where in the service sector IE burger flippers.

Also main reason unemployment rate has been dropping is the labour participation rate has been dropping real fast for example another 354k working age people dropped out of the work force last month taking the total to 92.9m Americans not working, it's the worst % since the late 1970's

This is from the first article I posted

Job growth last month was heavily concentrated in the service sector, with leisure and hospitality adding 66,000 jobs, as well as an expansion of 54,000 jobs in education and health. Construction added 29,000 jobs in February, while manufacturing increased by a modest 8,000. Gains were also made in professional services and the trade and transport sectors.

Why yes playmynutz it was October 2009

@playmynutz said:

I remember a time when unemployment was 10%

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Good news, and I just went back to work too. been off since the last 4 months... but there are still not many jobs out there, that still hasn't changed.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serraph105
@Dogswithguns said:

Good news, and I just went back to work too. been off since the last 4 months... but there are still not many jobs out there, that still hasn't changed.

I feel like I see so many now hiring signs nowadays granted not the greatest jobs, but a lot of them never the less.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

Link

This is false.

The BLS most broadest unemployment i.e. total unemployment is 11.2% (Link).

BLS rates unemployment from U1 to U6 with the U3 figures being the monthly reported headline (5.5%). As people drop out of the workforce, they're reshuffled from U3 to U6. I have no idea where he pulled that 23% number (probably out of his ass) but proclaiming to use Canada's system of tallying is not applicable to the U.S. Especially since it counts 15 year olds still in school....

BLS measure of Unemployment has been the same since 1994, But because the sitting President is a democrat, all of a sudden U3 statistics is foul play.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:
@Dogswithguns said:

I feel like I see so many now hiring signs nowadays granted not the greatest jobs, but a lot of them never the less.

It varies by area, but yeah, there's a definite uptick.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

If the economy is bad they blame obama, and when it's good, they still find a way to dig at obama.

some people are just never happy.

A lot of rightwingers don't actually want to hear good news about the economy. It's pretty sad.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Wtf? The unemployment rate is 8.4% actually. Wtf are you on about?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mattbbpl

@themajormayor said:

What figure are you referring to?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Serraph105

@Blue-Sky said:

@Stesilaus said:

Link

This is false.

BLS rates unemployment from U1 to U6 with the U3 figures being the monthly reported headline (5.5%). As people drop out of the workforce, they're reshuffled from U3 to U6. I have no idea where he pulled that 23% number (probably out of his ass) but proclaiming to use Canada's system of tallying is not applicable to the U.S. Especially since it counts 15 year olds still in school....

BLS measure of Unemployment has been the same since 1994, But because the sitting President is a democrat, all of a sudden U3 statistics is foul play.

The real problem I notice with crying about how we should only go by the U6 numbers is that the drop in unemployment is actually quite a bit higher than the U3 numbers.

Oh sure the U6 suggests a worse situation at about 11 percent, but those numbers suggest a 6.4% drop in unemployment where as the official U3 numbers suggest unemployment has only dropped by 4.5%.

http://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

@Blue-Sky said:

@Stesilaus said:

Link

This is false.

The real problem I notice with crying about how we should only go by the U6 numbers is that the drop in unemployment is actually quite a bit higher than the U3 numbers.

Oh sure the U6 suggests a worse situation at about 11 percent, but those numbers suggest a 6.4% drop in unemployment where as the U3 numbers suggest unemployment has only dropped by 4.5%.

The people saying that the government is lying by not using the U6 numbers don't care about actual analysis. They just want to say that the real unemployment rate is 11% while implying that it was 5%ish in the prior administration.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@repub4liberty said:

If the Demoturds would stop stalling on the Keystone Pipeline, you could expect another huge drop in Unemployment.

If Obama passed the pipeline, the vast majority of jobs would be temporary. They would be gone after a few months. Once they go away, Republicans would blame Obama for the lost jobs that were never permanent to begin with. It has pretty much zip to do with the economy.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 themajormayor

@mattbbpl said:

@themajormayor said:

http://www.ekonomifakta.se/sv/Fakta/Arbetsmarknad/Arbetsloshet/Arbetsloshet/

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105

@themajormayor said:

@mattbbpl said:

@themajormayor said:

err is that even regarding the US?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 themajormayor

@Serraph105 said:

@themajormayor said:

@mattbbpl said:

@themajormayor said:

err is that even regarding the US?

Why would it?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And the trucking industry is still desperate for quality drivers... and are going to be in crisis mode in 10-15 years when the vast majority of the workforce retires.

Funny how the most essential part of the North American economy is the one most desperate for workers.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105

@foxhound_fox said:

And the trucking industry is still desperate for quality drivers... and are going to be in crisis mode in 10-15 years when the vast majority of the workforce retires.

Funny how the most essential part of the North American economy is the one most desperate for workers.

They need to start providing training to new hires. Trucking is a profession with one of the highest turnover rates in the country for a reason.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

They need to start providing training to new hires. Trucking is a profession with one of the highest turnover rates in the country for a reason.

There are tons of training schools. Driver retention is achieved by providing a safe, lucrative working environment where the driver is treated like a person, rather than a number. The CSA score system should reward the good companies and drivers and push the bad companies and drivers completely out of the industry. Making everything safer for everyone.

That, and there is 50% of the population that is almost completely untapped (female drivers account for 2-3% of total drivers) mostly due to the leftover sexism and misogyny with the aging driver population, and the inability for truck manufacturers to provide smaller drivers with truck spec'ing options that make them comfortable to drive.

Change is coming, but it's not coming fast enough. And anyone complaining about not being able to find work should shut their goddamn mouth and get a CDL. It's not that hard for someone who is marginally intelligent, has some common sense and the ability to drive safely.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@themajormayor said:

@mattbbpl said:

@themajormayor said:

Ah, I thought you might have been referring to another nation (or specific US locality) since it didn't match up with any of the UX numbers.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

what i find utterly fucking pathetic is the people out there hoping for worse unemployment as a means simply to take a swipe at the nation's leadership

hoping more americans are out of work to serve their petty political desires.

classy.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#34 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I think it's still 23% here in Spain... ouch

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

A lot of rightwingers don't actually want to hear good news about the economy. It's pretty sad.

Quick question for you: Do you work and own a home?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

I think it's still 23% here in Spain... ouch

Yea, it's pretty bad over there. We American's think we have it bad. I've seen footage of entire cities and airports in Spain that are basically empty because no one there could find work.