Unarmed man shot at for trying to take care of his daughter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Officer shooting at a guy trying to get an astma inhaler. Luckily this father did not get shot. Now it was wrong of him to drive with a suspended license, but you don't shoot at him for that...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Would have to read more about it, but if it was an emergency I would have no problem not following the cops instructions until I got home and took care of my daughter and later face the consequences, of course. If it wasn't an emergency, how about, wait for it, you follow instructions and stop the car? Not saying that that justifies the cop shooting at him, but some situations can be avoided if you just follow the law.

You were driving with a suspended license plate, that sucks for you, face the consequences of your actions.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Ahh another "newsarticle" from the very bias Fox news like The Young turks, who are incredible bias and their research consists of taking a cup of coffee and reading the headlines on their smartphone nothing else.

As the police report states

"According to the police report, Garcia spotted a green Ford Focus driven by Dennison speeding through a parking lot near West University Boulevard and St. Augustine Road. Garcia began following the car, and said it blew through a stop sign as it turned onto DuPont Station Road, nearly hitting another car and heading the wrong way toward St. Augustine Road. That's when the officer switched on his lights and siren, following the car until it turned into Plantation Apartments in the 7000 block of South Old Kings Road and parked."

He didn't actually show a behaviour that wasn't highly suspicious, so if this is true i don't see anything wrong with that shooting and the cop did his job.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Would someone get this Officer Wilson under control, please.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Obviously it was because he was black. Police officers only shoot at black people.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Obviously it was because he was black. Police officers only shoot at black people.

Well yeah don't you know police hate all black people.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The one thing I will agree with is her comment about cops needing body cameras. It's not just to protect the citizens, but also to protect the cops. Imagine how much less of a situation Ferguson would be had Darren Wilson been wearing a camera and people could actually see what went down. There really isn't a single reason to argue against body cameras.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacanuk

@JustPlainLucas said:

The one thing I will agree with is her comment about cops needing body cameras. It's not just to protect the citizens, but also to protect the cops. Imagine how much less of a situation Ferguson would be had Darren Wilson been wearing a camera and people could actually see what went down. There really isn't a single reason to argue against body cameras.

Ya that would actually be a very smart decision not just to protect the civilians but also to protect the cops themselves. With a Camera they can show what happened and avoid all the hate they get and the bad cops well, they will show themselves to the door.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Loading Video...

Seems relevant.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Master_Live said:

Would have to read more about it, but if it was an emergency I would have no problem not following the cops instructions until I got home and took care of my daughter and later face the consequences, of course. If it wasn't an emergency, how about, wait for it, you follow instructions and stop the car? Not saying that that justifies the cop shooting at him, but some situations can be avoided if you just follow the law.

You were driving with a suspended license plate, that sucks for you, face the consequences of your actions.

I agree, but what the ****. You don't shoot an unarmed guy, same with the kid that got shot yesterday. Again was unarmed and had a softgun

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Master_Live said:

I agree, but what the ****. You don't shoot an unarmed guy, same with the kid that got shot yesterday. Again was unarmed and had a softgun

If he had a soft gun he wasn't exactly unarmed, because i don't know how many times police in most countries have warned kids and teenagers and young adults against having it, since they most times only have a split second to decide if this is a real gun or not and soft guns are often so close to their real counterparts that you need to be right up close before you can tell the difference.

And this might give you a idea of why cops particular in america have to use their guns.

"If you’ve been watching cable news, reading Hollywood celebrities’ tweets, and listening to race-hustling opportunists, you might think that every police officer in America has a finger on the trigger, hunting for any excuse to gun down defenseless youths.

This hysterical nonsense must be stopped.

The Cirque du Cop-Bashing, with Al Sharpton as ringmaster, is working overtime to exploit the deadly incident in Ferguson, Mo. That means stoking anti–law enforcement fires at all costs.

Are there bad cops? Yes. Does the police state go overboard sometimes? Yes. Do the demagogues decrying systemic racism and braying about “assassinations” know what happened when teenager Mike Brown was tragically shot and killed last week? No.

Here’s a reality check. While narcissistic liberal journalists and college kids are all posting “hands up” selfies in hipster solidarity with Ferguson protesters, it’s law-enforcement officers who risk their lives in “war zones” every day across the country.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (NLEOMF) reports that a total of 1,501 law-enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past ten years, an average of one death every 58 hours, or 150 per year. These include local and state police officers, federal officers, correctional officers, and military law-enforcement officers.

Fact: Last year, 100 law-enforcement officers were killed. On average, over the past decade, there have been 58,261 assaults against law enforcement each year, resulting in 15,658 injuries.

Fact: New York City has lost more officers in the line of duty than any other department, with 697 deaths. Texas has lost 1,675 officers, more than any other state.

Just this week, NLEOMF released preliminary fatality statistics from August 2013 to August 2014. Total fatalities are up 14 percent, from 63 last year to 72 this year. “Five officers were killed in ambushes, which continue to be a major threat to law enforcement safety,” the group notes.

Among the men in uniform who gave their lives this summer:

Police officer Scott Patrick of the Mendota Heights Police Department in Minnesota. He was shot and killed while conducting a traffic stop on July 30. Patrick leaves behind a wife and two teenage daughters.

Police officer Jeffrey Westerfield of the Gary Police Department in Indiana. Westerfield was shot in the head and killed in a July 6 ambush while sitting in his police vehicle after responding to a 911 call. The suspect had been previously arrested for domestic violence and for kicking another officer. Westerfield, a 19-year police-department veteran as well as an Army veteran, leaves behind a wife and four daughters.

Officer Perry Renn of the Indianapolis Police Department. He was shot and killed while responding to reports of gunfire on July 5. After 20 years on the job, Renn chose to serve in one of the city’s most dangerous areas, even though his seniority would have allowed him to take a less dangerous role. “He chose to work in patrol to make a difference in the field,” police chief Rick Hite said at Renn’s funeral. “Every day, Perry got out of his police car.” Renn is survived by his wife.

Deputy sheriff Allen Bares Jr. of the Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana. The 15-year law-enforcement veteran was shot and killed on June 23 while investigating two suspicious suspects. Bares had been mowing his lawn while off-duty when he witnessed a suspicious car crash. When he went to investigate, he was gunned down. The assailants stole his truck as he lay dying. “He’s the type of person that would give his shirt off his back to anybody,” a cousin said in tribute. “Anyone that knows Allen will tell you that he was that kind of person.” Bares leaves behind a wife and two children.

Police officer Melvin Santiago of the Jersey City Police Department in New Jersey. Santiago, a proud rookie cop who loved his job, was ambushed on July 13 by a homicidal armed robber. Santiago was 23 years old. After Santiago’s killer was shot dead by police, the violent Bloods street gang vowed to “kill a Jersey City cop and not stop until the National Guard is called out.”

Al Sharpton, concocter of hate-crime hoaxes and inciter of violent riots against police, had no comment."

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

To the guy above me. The major part at the end pisses me off greatly. Nice statistic of police being killed and hurt and then comments about how amazing they were as people and how much of a difference they've made... Ya real nice. But where is the information talking about how many unarmed citizens have been shot and killed by police? Or physically or mentally damaged for the rest of their life? Or how many people have had their homes or belongings stolen, sold or kept by departments for no reason other then we can and it's a nice increase in our budget for nice new toys. Hell it's not even in regulation to enforce police agencies to give the federal government death by cops numbers. But you can find exactly how many people got arrested for heroin or pot possession across the whole damn country and exact numbers on cops killed and hurt yearly.

Great fucking double standard here. These people picked this field of work it's no different then joining the military.. You joined knowing that you'd deal with messed up and dangerous situations. It's the god damn job so if you die doing it well so be it. Sucks but if this isn't something you want to happen find another field of employment as your in the wrong damn field.

These unarmed citizens didn't join up for this kind of shit and I'm willing to bet those numbers up there are far lower then the over all deaths of citizens both unarmed and innocent in the last 10 years. That's not including the hundreds of thousands of lives ruined without doing anything against the law or even attempting to harm someone.

I also liked how they used the word ambushed. As cops ambush people in their homes while they sleep every night in the united states. They also come up behind people and grab them aggressively without identifying themselves as officers of the law and then when that person tries to fight off what he thinks is an attacker or two they beat the shit out of him and charge him anywhere up to 10 charges. If you take the time to find some shit out about house invasions you'll notice a lot of the time it's the wrong damn address or the family they were looking for moved away and a new one lives there. An Iraq veteran was shot 76 times by officers in his home when what he thought was robbers or theifs broke down his door as no warning was given and he prepared to defend his wife and kids. Turns out wrong house oops.... our bad... Won't happen again... Ya fucking right.

That whole damn post pisses me off to no end so I'm just going to stop there as I don't want to get to fucking deep into a back and forth. But I think it's obvious that no once should ever take the polices side till the police are proven to have acted in a manor that was respectful, non hostile and not a breach of laws and the constitution which the majority being shamed ignore completely. Your paying these people to act as a controlling mob of guns for hire as they no longer answer to the people but rather the big number in the bank at the end of the year.

Cops don't deserve respect till it is earned.

@JustPlainLucas: Body cameras and the new Chipped guns that relay everything that is done with them back in real time, all while having the ability to shot it off from the precinct or where ever the central system is located. This would change things so drastically. Only thing is though is reforming the laws both federal and state, to stop such horrid shit like y not being allowed to film police or what ever the **** else dumb law put in place now, or made up by one of the various officers involved.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts
@ribstaylor1 said:

@JustPlainLucas: Body cameras and the new Chipped guns that relay everything that is done with them back in real time, all while having the ability to shot it off from the precinct or where ever the central system is located. This would change things so drastically. Only thing is though is reforming the laws both federal and state, to stop such horrid shit like y not being allowed to film police or what ever the **** else dumb law put in place now, or made up by one of the various officers involved.

The people who analyze the camera feed and the gun data need to be a non-biased 3rd party that has nothing to do with the cops. If they control the data, then its pointless. They can edit the video. They can edit the data etc..

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ribstaylor1

@schu: I agree. I've never understood the idea of police policing the police. Makes zero fucking sense. But then that's how they want it to be so they don't have to take responsibility for their crimes against the citizens they have vowed to protect.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Another last ride thread. Nothing to see here.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

@airshocker said:

I don't know....his hate is entertaining.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas said:

It would have helped to have dashboard camera aswell

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ribstaylor1

@farrell2k: I don't think the guns are the issue. But rather the system in place that creates the policies and regulates the laws. Plenty of countries have guns, owned by civilians and cops. And have almost no gun deaths within their countries. Canada would be one of them. What I think separates them the most is Canadian police must go through a mountain of paper work every single time they unholster their weapon. In the United states a cop can pull the damn thing out where ever they please, even when not threatened by anyone they still pull it on people.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ribstaylor1

It's the person behind the gun who used it, the gun didn't get up and fire itself. I don't even have one and I can think of 1000 reasons why a citizen and a police officer should be able to own one. For all the guns here in Canada I don't see people blasting caps off at each other like they are doing south of the boarder. Look at Switzerland every single person has their own firearm due to mandatory military service, and they are literally one of the lowest gun crime countries in the world. So no it's not something else it's the guy behind it, and the lack of any sort of decent political planing , law making, or regulation that's caused this issue in the United states.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

@farrell2k said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@farrell2k: I don't think the guns are the issue. But rather the system in place that creates the policies and regulates the laws. Plenty of countries have guns, owned by civilians and cops. And have almost no gun deaths within their countries. Canada would be one of them. What I think separates them the most is Canadian police must go through a mountain of paper work every single time they unholster their weapon. In the United states a cop can pull the damn thing out where ever they please, even when not threatened by anyone they still pull it on people.

Of course not. In the of irrational gun lovers, when someone is shot with a gun, the gun is never the issue; it's always something else...

It's the person with the gun dude. Guns are inanimate. They don't make themselves fire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@farrell2k said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

Of course not. In the of irrational gun lovers, when someone is shot with a gun, the gun is never the issue; it's always something else...

It's the person with the gun dude. Guns are inanimate. They don't make themselves fire.

Come on man, that's terrible logic and you know it lol.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@farrell2k said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

Come on man, that's terrible logic and you know it lol.

No it's not. If someone wants to kill someone they will use whatever means are necessary. A gun is just one weapon but make no mistake....the individual using it has chosen the path....not the gun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Perhaps they will try with whatever means necessary but why make it easier for them to do that? In any case I was confused by your logic that the object itself is never the issue only the person, which I disagree with. By that line of thinking everything should be legal even the worst drugs and automatic weapons because **** it, they don't smoke or shoot by themselves.

I don't agree with that other dude or with banning guns, just that particular argument you said in that post.

Ferny83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ferny83
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

@Jacanuk: I don't post much but I just had to point out that police death are at a 50 year low.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/30/law-enforcement-deaths/4247393/

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

definitely agree with this one. Then we can see who is actually doing their job opposed to someone who's just trigger happy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@Aljosa23 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Perhaps they will try with whatever means necessary but why make it easier for them to do that? In any case I was confused by your logic that the object itself is never the issue only the person, which I disagree with. By that line of thinking everything should be legal even the worst drugs and automatic weapons because **** it, they don't smoke or shoot by themselves.

I don't agree with that other dude or with banning guns, just that particular argument you said in that post.

Well I'm confused as to why you don't think the person is responsible but the object is.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@airshocker said: