Ukraines parliment got dissolved. and french government

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/25/world/europe/ukraine-parliament/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is pretty crazy if you ask me.

Update. French government has dissolved as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/25/world/europe/france-politics/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

This isn't too surprising. Given the civil war and the fall of the last government it is expected to have quick parliamentary elections (which are now set for October); and given that, there's not much sense in on going law-making until then.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

And some people are surprised? Soon congress will be dissolved.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PurpleLabel

Updated this, since the french government was dissolved.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Can a european explain this to me? How can a politician dissolve their government? What is involved in that process?

It just seems absurd.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleLabel

@airshocker said:

Can a european explain this to me? How can a politician dissolve their government? What is involved in that process?

It just seems absurd.

I agree. Either I don't understand this fully, or people are not in as much shock as I am. It seems like this is a major news story.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

@airshocker said:

It just seems absurd.

You can think of dissolving parliament as a way of calling an election. This isn't, say, the equivalent of the Galactic Senate being abolished to create the new Galactic Empire.

Most parliamentary systems give the head of state the power to prorogue or dissolve the parliament. It varies depending on country, but for instance Ukraine and France give a lot of authority to the President over the parliament.

In both cases (Ukraine + France) the Prime Minister had stepped down due to parliament being unable to get anything done; thus the crises and parliament being dissolved and elections being called. I don't know the particulars of these countries, but I would guess that if the PMs had not stepped down, the ability to of the President to dissolve parliament would be much weaker (not sure if through legal or merely political means).

The American equivalent (we would assume there is something in the Constitution legally giving this power) would be if the Senate and House leaders went to the President and say "We can't get anything done, everyone's divided, we can't even get a vote on the laws, and we can't react properly to any challenges facing the country, we're stepping down". So then the President says "okay, congress is dissovled, and everyone is up for reelection this fall" and so it would be.

As a specific example, the Canadian Prime Minister (being the head of government and leader of parliament) can request parliament to be dissolved by the Governor General (the largely symbolic Canadian Head of State) in the case of a constitutional crisis, or in the event of a vote of no-confidence. Parliament is technically "dissolved" every five years, when normal elections would be called.

So if the ruling government doesn't have enough votes to pass a budget through the parliament, the Prime Minister either needs to step down as leader and allow a new government to form, or the PM can advise the Governor General to dissolve parliament, thus calling an election. This is to avoid the grid-lock seen in systems like in the States. Basically it guarantees that things get done.. if the parliament can't get a budget passed, election time. If your party is not in a shape for a snap election, they are more willing to compromise. At least, that's the theory of it.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

How can we get this to happen in the US?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@_BlueDuck_ said:

@airshocker said:

It just seems absurd.

You can think of dissolving parliament as a way of calling an election. This isn't, say, the equivalent of the Galactic Senate being abolished to create the new Galactic Empire.

Most parliamentary systems give the head of state the power to prorogue or dissolve the parliament. It varies depending on country, but for instance Ukraine and France give a lot of authority to the President over the parliament.

In both cases (Ukraine + France) the Prime Minister had stepped down due to parliament being unable to get anything done; thus the crises and parliament being dissolved and elections being called. I don't know the particulars of these countries, but I would guess that if the PMs had not stepped down, the ability to of the President to dissolve parliament would be much weaker (not sure if through legal or merely political means).

The American equivalent (we would assume there is something in the Constitution legally giving this power) would be if the Senate and House leaders went to the President and say "We can't get anything done, everyone's divided, we can't even get a vote on the laws, and we can't react properly to any challenges facing the country, we're stepping down". So then the President says "okay, congress is dissovled, and everyone is up for reelection this fall" and so it would be.

As a specific example, the Canadian Prime Minister (being the head of government and leader of parliament) can request parliament to be dissolved by the Governor General (the largely symbolic Canadian Head of State) in the case of a constitutional crisis, or in the event of a vote of no-confidence. Parliament is technically "dissolved" every five years, when normal elections would be called.

So if the ruling government doesn't have enough votes to pass a budget through the parliament, the Prime Minister either needs to step down as leader and allow a new government to form, or the PM can advise the Governor General to dissolve parliament, thus calling an election. This is to avoid the grid-lock seen in systems like in the States. Basically it guarantees that things get done.. if the parliament can't get a budget passed, election time. If your party is not in a shape for a snap election, they are more willing to compromise. At least, that's the theory of it.

That makes a whole hell of a lot more sense. Thank you.