U.S., EU impose sanctions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by deeliman (3455 posts) -

The United States and the European Union imposed sanctions including asset freezes and travel bans on officials from Russia and Ukraine after Crimea applied to join Russia on Monday following a weekend referendum.

This is all as expected. But it remains to be seen if they will impose harsher sanctions if Russia continues it's actions.

#2 Edited by Newhopes (4664 posts) -

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

#3 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

?

#5 Edited by Newhopes (4664 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

?

It'll start a tit for tat escalating santions, probably ending up with Russia cutting oil/gas supply to Europe which is the main reason they're not doing anything directly to Russia itself and going after officials instead.

#6 Posted by deeliman (3455 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

You are one disturbed individual if you find these things funny.

#7 Edited by Newhopes (4664 posts) -
@deeliman said:

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

You are one disturbed individual if you find these things funny.

Yes frankly I do, the way the west is handled this is beyond hilarious.

I'll bet you money within a few years they'll be US/Nato military bases inside the Ukraine.

@reaper4278 said:

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

I fail to find the humor in anything going on.

I just wish the U.S. was staying out of this, it is not our issue.

I Understand why the US is interfering they've just gone about it the totally wrong way, and in the long run I think what they're doing is going to make things a hell of a lot worse.

#8 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

@

@Newhopes said:

@deeliman said:

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

You are one disturbed individual if you find these things funny.

Yes frankly I do, the way the west is handled this is beyond hilarious.

I'll bet you money within a few years they'll be US/Nato military bases inside the Ukraine.

Hilarious!

nothing tickles the funny bone like unwarranted militarism

#9 Edited by elkoldo (1464 posts) -

lol Seems like sanction is their sole key to any problem threatening their gains.First Iran now Russia.

#10 Posted by Newhopes (4664 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

lol Seems like sanction is their sole key to any problem threatening their gains.First Iran now Russia.

Not really this time they've done next to nothing to be honest they've santioned 28 people in Putin's govenment but not Putin himself and a few Ukrainian's who don't back the coup.

I doubt it'll go any futher yet, Although the eastern provinces might start demanding independence from the Ukraine as well which might escalate things.

#11 Edited by elkoldo (1464 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

@elkoldo said:

lol Seems like sanction is their sole key to any problem threatening their gains.First Iran now Russia.

Not really this time they've done next to nothing to be honest they've santioned 28 people in Putin's govenment but not Putin himself and a few Ukrainian's who don't back the coup.

I doubt it'll go any futher yet, Although the eastern provinces might start demanding independence from the Ukraine as well which might escalate things.

Hehe .Yeah I agree.I'd really love to see who the West would point the finger at if the eastern provinces demanded independence.

#12 Posted by Master_Live (15767 posts) -

Good.

#13 Posted by redstorm72 (4631 posts) -

Oh wow, don't do something rash that you can't take back Obama (sarcasm). This amounts to basically nothing. Its kind of amusing watching the West get their knickers in a twist when Russia invades a country, after all the countries we have fucked with, then be too afraid to actually do anything about it. To be honest, we (the West) should just back off. It is obvious we don't have the guts to play chicken with Putin, so we might was well pull out now before we embarrass ourselves.

#15 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4550 posts) -

Putin is trying his hardest to start the cold war back up.

#16 Edited by Newhopes (4664 posts) -

I don't think they should have backed off they just handled it completely wrong, Putin has been fairly diplomatic but the wests reaction was basically get out or face the consequences and thats turned out too be nothing more than a bluff. If they had gone into this more diplomatically and open rather than a bull in a china shop I think this wouldn't have blown up the way has.

But saying that this all smells of a set up.

#17 Edited by GazaAli (23614 posts) -

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Putin is trying his hardest to start the cold war back up.

How exactly? I'd say he's trying to restore Russia's former glory and influence as a serious world power and watch out for its interest. That says nothing about the morality or amorality of his policies. But again states have no morality anyway.

#18 Posted by Master_Live (15767 posts) -

Someone should ask Obama how is the reset with Russia doing.

#19 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4550 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Putin is trying his hardest to start the cold war back up.

How exactly? I'd say he's trying to restore Russia's former glory and influence as a serious world power and watch out for its interest. That says nothing about the morality or amorality of his policies. But again states have no morality anyway.

smh

#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152310 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

What?

#21 Edited by Newhopes (4664 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Newhopes said:

HAHAHHAHAHA morons, this is going to be funny, hope you've got some candles in stock we're going to need them in a few months.

What?

Basically this could cause a trade war(sanctions wars) which will end up with Russia cutting Oil/gas supply which will cause massive electricity shotages in most of Europe.

Probably won't happen because they don't have the guts to do it seeing as it'd probably harm us more than it'd hurt Russia.