Two US citizens infected with ebola coming back to america.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The doctor and the nurse I believe that were treating ebola patients contracted the disease itself, and they're bringing them back to the US.

Have we seriously become this stupid?

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

The virus spreads mostly via direct contact, it's highly unlikely that bring the patients back home will spread the disease to other people. And America has much better ways of containing and monitoring diseases.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PurpleLabel

@Tokeism said:

The virus spreads mostly via direct contact, it's highly unlikely that bring the patients back home will spread the disease to other people. And America has much better ways of containing and monitoring diseases.

Everybody says it's highly unlikely, yet those 2 people got it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm sure they wouldn't bring them back unless under strict quarantine.

Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nintendonly
Member since 2009 • 1409 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm sure they wouldn't bring them back unless under strict quarantine.

We all know how that goes.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

...because they were a doctor and nurse who would have been in near constant direct contact with patients...did you not read what you posted?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintLeonidas

Relevant.

Nintendonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nintendonly
Member since 2009 • 1409 Posts

So what game will this parallel with? The Last of Us? Resident Evil?

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PurpleLabel

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

...because they were a doctor and nurse who would have been in near constant direct contact with patients...did you not read what you posted?

So nobody would be near them? This is out how outbreaks start. Keep it in Africa. Keep it contained.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintLeonidas

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

So nobody would be near them? This is out how outbreaks start. Keep it in Africa. Keep it contained.

If you are really comparing the US quarantine and transport of two people to constant contact with patients in a environment that could best be summed up as a "shit-show", then you really shouldn't be posting serious news articles in the first place. And no, it most certainly is NOT how outbreaks starts, unless you live in a world of fiction and fantasy.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

I did nothing!

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PurpleLabel

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

If you are really comparing the US quarantine and transport of two people to constant contact with patients in a environment that could best be summed up as a "shit-show", then you really shouldn't be posting serious news articles in the first place. And no, it most certainly is NOT how outbreaks starts, unless you live in a world of fiction and fantasy.

Living proof common sense isn't so common.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaintLeonidas

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

Yes, you are.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PurpleLabel

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

@Tokeism said:

Yes, you are.

Not the one suggesting we bring a deadly virus into the states, no matter what the process is.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@purplelabel said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@purplelabel said:

Yes, you are.

Not the one suggesting we bring a deadly virus into the states, no matter what the process is.

Eh, we do it all the time. At least these people will be under quarantine. Ebola is a BSL4 agent, they're not just going to stick them on a 747 and call it good.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

So as long as i don't touch anyone who has been to West Africa I'll be alright?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Tokeism said:

Would you be so kind as to give your definition of direct contact?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@Solaryellow said:

@Tokeism said:

"direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids"

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

@Tokeism said:

"direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids"

I want a definition from the person I asked because everyone can have a different interpretation. What I was getting at is whether or not the person quoted would be comfortable in close proximity to a person with ebola because he seems to think it isn't a big deal.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lostrib

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

I want a definition from the person I asked because everyone can have a different interpretation. What I was getting at is whether or not the person quoted would be comfortable in close proximity to a person with ebola because he seems to think it isn't a big deal.

that's from the WHO. I doubt anyone would actually be comfortable next to someone with ebola.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#22 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

That's a very interesting decision.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@purplelabel said:

Have we seriously become this stupid?

Is this a trick question?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Solaryellow

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

that's from the WHO. I doubt anyone would actually be comfortable next to someone with ebola.

That's fine and I understand the clinical definition of the phrase but I wasn't quoting the comments of the World Health Organization unless, of course, they are a member of this board. Things like this outbreak should be taken extremely seriously because one mistake is all it would take to have a full on pandemic. The government saying "oops" won't cut it if it does happen. 12:35 pm e.s.t. on CNN: Experts: Ebola epidemic will worsen. According to those in the field, it will spread to other nations.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

That's fine and I understand the clinical definition of the phrase but I wasn't quoting the comments of the World Health Organization unless, of course, they are a member of this board. Things like this outbreak should be taken extremely seriously because one mistake is all it would take to have a full on pandemic. The government saying "oops" won't cut it if it does happen. 12:35 pm e.s.t. on CNN: Experts: Ebola epidemic will worsen. According to those in the field, it will spread to other nations.

Except one mistake would not lead to a full on pandemic. Which is why the definition matters, as it clarifies how it is spread... something which you do not seem to understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

They're coming back to a specially designed lab at Emory University. So I'm not sure what your problem with this is, TC.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#29 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

It is surreal to think that two Americans in America are infected with a particularly nasty strain of Ebola. Regardless of how secure one may feel about the decision to bring them home, that's the consequence. It's unlikely that the infection will spread, but just the idea that there are Americans infected with Ebola in America is surreal.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Solaryellow

@SUD123456 said:

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

@lostrib said:

@Solaryellow said:

Except one mistake would not lead to a full on pandemic. Which is why the definition matters, as it clarifies how it is spread... something which you do not seem to understand.

Newflash: If an infectious disease spreads across the world we have a pandemic. Yes, one mistake could have grave consequences which is something no one is thinking about. The disease could be incubating in a body and no one would know they had it until it was too late when the possibility exists it could have been spread to others.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Nintendonly said:

So what game will this parallel with? The Last of Us? Resident Evil?

I saw this story on my phone and thought of The Last of Us.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I really hope this breaks out in the usa

joking of course

for those who are so scared, they have much more deadly (and more contiagent) virusses in labs in the usa.

They know what they're doing, this is not a hollywood movie.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleLabel

@airshocker said:

They're coming back to a specially designed lab at Emory University. So I'm not sure what your problem with this is, TC.

Things can always go wrong. Why risk it?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Well, probably a big contributor of the virus's mortality rate probably has a lot to do with lack of proper healthcare resources in the areas effected, even if it spreads I think the effect will be limited, nothing like the movie Outbreak... though, one thing I heard about this most deadly Ebola outbreak is it actually evades detection and screening of people with the virus has turned up false-negatives, so this particular strain of Ebola is a tricky one and if it did spread containment could be tricky since they can't detect it.

Anyhow, people should be less freaked out by this and more freaked out about things they don't know, like how we have extremely hazardous biological testing going on in laboratories without any kind of regulated containment and security. In the wake of the Bruce Ivin's anthrax mailings I remember a follow up story looking at the security of research facilities like the one Bruce Ivin's worked at, and what I found was shocking, that many facilities exist that are unregulated, have no security or biological containment and fail-safes. It went on to talk about one facility that didn't even have a secure building, that it had open doors that anybody from the public could just wonder into the building where they kept seriously dangerous biological materials around. It didn't have air containment, just rudimentary ventilation that ventilated the air from the hazard rooms outside, that the biological materials were just kept on the shelf in a room with an open back door anybody in the public could walk into... crazy stuff. And this was said to be typical of many of the unregulated facilities that exist. Also recently in the news was one such research group left all their biological materials in a public storage unit, and only discovered it when they emptied it out, finding vials of smallpox stored there.

Plus, recently the CDC or one of the big government organizations announced that they were going to drastically cut the number of facilities that had access to hazardous and weaponized biological materials and viruses and such, as to not have another Bruce Ivin's incident again, by limiting the number of people who have access to such materials. This actually scares me, even though this should have been the situation to begin with, you're now telling thousands of researchers who make their living doing research on this stuff that they're about to be out of jobs... telling these thousands of people, with this stuff at their disposal, that they're about to join this countries horrendous and spiritually detrimental job market, that does worry me. All you need is for one of them to snap, then you got that virologist guy from 12 Monkeys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@purplelabel said:

@airshocker said:

Because it's a human being and it needs help.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Newflash: If an infectious disease spreads across the world we have a pandemic. Yes, one mistake could have grave consequences which is something no one is thinking about. The disease could be incubating in a body and no one would know they had it until it was too late when the possibility exists it could have been spread to others.

See, this whole train of thought is weird to me. If you're worried about an ebola pandemic spreading across the globe, then I think the far bigger issue is the ebola outbreak in west Africa.

Think about it for a minute. One one hand, we've got two ebola patients in the USA isolated under strict quarantine measures. On the other hand, there's a freaking ebola outbreak in Africa. If this spreads across the globe, my money is on it NOT being started by the two doctors being treated in the USA. There is no ebola outbreak in the USA, the patients are being under tightly controlled conditions. Meanwhile, in Africa, there IS an ebola outbreak and no one knows exactly how many people are infected and who those people are. Again, stop and think for a minute. Out of those two scenarios, which is more likely to result in a worldwide ebola pandemic?

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PurpleLabel

@airshocker said:

@purplelabel said:

@airshocker said:

Because it's a human being and it needs help.

What is the chance of them surviving ebola here in the US, with our treatments?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow

@MrGeezer said:

@Solaryellow said:

See, this whole train of thought is weird to me. If you're worried about an ebola pandemic spreading across the globe, then I think the far bigger issue is the ebola outbreak in west Africa.

Think about it for a minute. One one hand, we've got two ebola patients in the USA isolated under strict quarantine measures. On the other hand, there's a freaking ebola outbreak in Africa. If this spreads across the globe, my money is on it NOT being started by the two doctors being treated in the USA. There is no ebola outbreak in the USA, the patients are being under tightly controlled conditions. Meanwhile, in Africa, there IS an ebola outbreak and no one knows exactly how many people are infected and who those people are. Again, stop and think for a minute. Out of those two scenarios, which is more likely to result in a worldwide ebola pandemic?

Have you been following the news lately? Experts (doctors) are saying this will spread across the world. The ebola outbreak in Africa is the largest they've seen which is why many airports are screening travelers in Africa in the hopes of stopping it from spreading outside of the continent. Remember, it incubates in the body and takes time to expose itself so people could have it and not even know it as of yet. Humans do make errors and to think there is a guarantee the two people in the U.S.A. with ebola won't possibly infect others (due to error, as I said) is asinine.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

@Solaryellow said:

@MrGeezer said:

@Solaryellow said:

Have you been following the news lately? Experts (doctors) are saying this will spread across the world. The ebola outbreak in Africa is the largest they've seen which is why many airports are screening travelers in Africa in the hopes of stopping it from spreading outside of the continent. Remember, it incubates in the body and takes time to expose itself so people could have it and not even know it as of yet. Humans do make errors and to think there is a guarantee the two people in the U.S.A. with ebola won't possibly infect others (due to error, as I said) is asinine.

Again, OUTBREAK in Africa, two patients in QUARANTINE in the USA. Stop and think about that for a minute.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@purplelabel said:

What is the chance of them surviving ebola here in the US, with our treatments?

Very high, apparently. What you also have to realize is Ebola isn't as scary as the media makes it out to be. It kills too quickly.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Eck.

I work as a CNA and deal with people who have contagious infections every now and then. Never enjoy having to deal with that and I certainly wouldn't enjoy being someone who had to work around Ebola....

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Solaryellow

@MrGeezer said:

@Solaryellow said:

Again, OUTBREAK in Africa, two patients in QUARANTINE in the USA. Stop and think about that for a minute.

Should that be a calming reassurance for people or something?

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

A stunt by Obama to scare the US public. Globalists at work again trying to give Obama more excuses to arrest people at airports.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I found this a bit concerning.

Loading Video...

Genius idea having a cameraman right near and unloading this guy right by where people are moving. This can't be good...

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

Ebola was created in bio weapons research labs anyway, they might want to look if it has mutated and if they can try and make in into being airborne if they don't already have the airborne strain already.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrGeezer

@Solaryellow said:

Should that be a calming reassurance for people or something?

Not really. I'm just saying that if you're gonna start panicking, at least make sure you panic about the right thing.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts