TV Series to recomend?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I really want to watch something while i have time off. But i can't find anything to watch really. I really like thrillers or action series. When it comes to Anime i really like supernatural ones or Shonen based ones. When it comes to live action i am pretty much open to everything

I would like to ask you bright OT people if you can recomend me anything. It could also be a miniseries btw

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

Penny Dreadful is pretty good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

The missing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup: @-Blasphemy-: alright, i will check them out, you can list more if you want to aswell :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Err Hannibal? As for anime watch Hunter X Hunter (2011).

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I think it would have been better if you provided in the OP the shows that you already watched and enjoyed so as to serve as a guide for further recommendations and in order to avoid redundantly recommending stuff you already watched. Nevertheless, I'm going to throw my two cents with the hope that these recommendations would be of any use:

Have you watched The Mentalist? The last season (season 7) is currently airing. It is a crime drama with a really fresh and clever twist of wit, light humor and authenticity. Such a highly underrated show I have to say seeing how I rarely hear others discussing it. If you haven't given it a go yet I highly recommend it as you really can hardly go wrong with it.

Homeland is another terrific thriller whose latest season (season 4) has just finished airing like a couple of days ago. It is by far one of the best American political thrillers/dramas ever made, quite different from your everyday American patriotic supremacy crap. High production values, AMAZING cast and unmistakable originality going hand in hand with an exceptional plot make this show an absolute must see. It sheds such a unique light on the war on terror, the Middle East, and the American security/political apparatus, taken with a grain of salt of course considering the fact that the show is a work of entertainment. But its so authentic and believable you'd think you're actually looking at it all from the inside.

Boardwalk Empire is another great crime show that is on a class of its own I think. The historical era in which the show takes place in addition to the great plot that makes use of actual historical events and the most notorious crime bosses of the 20th century come together to make the show one of the best historical crime dramas I personally ever watched. The cast won't disappoint either I can assure you that.

Lastly Fringe is an extremely interesting present-day sci-fi thriller that shouldn't be missed by any fan of the genre. Combining sci-fi elements, time travel and crime, the show offers a very memorable experience. The only downside of it is that the cast is somehow saddled by a couple of mediocre actors but you learn to like/tolerate them after a couple of seasons. Seeing how you're an anime fan, I think its worth mentioning that the plot didn't feel western at all. I remember perceiving a Japanese anime vibe in it which was really exciting and entertaining.

As for miniseries, I wonder if you have watched Black Mirrors? If not do it now I'm certain you'll be pleased. Also, Sherlock is absolutely phenomenal. I don't think it'd be an exaggeration to say its the best Holmes' adaptation to date. For instance, it puts its American counterpart "Elementary" to shame, rather painfully too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@GazaAli said:

Have you watched The Mentalist? The last season (season 7) is currently airing. It is a crime drama with a really fresh and clever twist of wit, light humor and authenticity. Such a highly underrated show I have to say seeing how I rarely hear others discussing it. If you haven't given it a go yet I highly recommend it as you really can hardly go wrong with it.

One word. Repetitive. So skipped most of the episodes except the red john ones.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@GazaAli said:

One word. Repetitive. So skipped most of the episodes except the red john ones.

Come on don't hate on the mentalist :(

It is in essence a police procedural so the repetitiveness you're speaking of is to be expected. However, that shouldn't automatically be held against any work. It boils down whether the formula that is being repeated works or not. In the mentalist it definitely works so its not a bad thing, the opposite in fact. The red john plot thread was very interesting yes (although it ended terribly I have to say) but it was never the only attraction of the series. Still, I do enjoy Jane's mayhem and mischief just as much and the cases have always been interesting enough.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

If you have netflix, these are all series on there that are great:

Live action stuff:

Doctor Who (I have only watched the revived series, but I LOVE that show!)

The Returned (The French thriller also known as Las Revenants. Make sure you get the RIGHT show as there is some shitty stuff under a similar name)

Top of the Lake (Great single season thriller that gets better as it goes on)

Anime:

Attack on Titan (An absolute MUST for anime fans. Just an amazing show!)

Sword Art Online (Cool little anime that is perfect for gamers)

Psycho Pass (Really cool crime thriller)

The Devil is a Part-Timer (Funny anime comedy. Shame it is so short and ends abruptly...)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Anime:

How about Knights of Sidonia? Heard it is very similar to AOT? Its like AOT in space.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Miniseries: Generation Kill, Generation War, Band of Brothers, The Pacific

TV shows: Attack on Titan, House of Cards

That's all I can think of. I think Generation War is recent. It follows four Germans during the entire World War II. Very good stuff. As for the rest, it's older but if you haven't watched it, I recommend them highly.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Sex and the City. Good dumb fun.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Anime:

How about Knights of Sidonia? Heard it is very similar to AOT? Its like AOT in space.

Haven't gotten around to watching that one so I have no idea honestly.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@drunk_pi:i have all of those miniseries on dvd, but thanks for the others!

@Gamerno6666: oh ok, a friend have mine has mentioned both of those, so thanks!

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

What are you working with in terms of what to watch? Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime? I'm going to throw out a few names.

Grimm, 24, Oz, True Blood, The Sopranos, Defiance, Doctor Who, Batman: The Animated Series, and the X-Files are a few examples for Amazon.

Hulu has most current series (excluding CBS shows) you can watch.

Netflix has a crapload to choose from to include Prison Break, Fringe, Orange is the New Black, any of the Star Trek shows, Once Upon a Time, Justice League, Young Justice, Arrow, Breaking Bad, Firefly, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Sliders, and more.

If you use a DNS switcher you can change your home country and get more shows that aren't broadcast in the US version of Netflix. For example, the Mexico version has the first season of Gargoyles, the UK version has Homeland and The Shield, Canada has the Fresh Prince, and Ireland has the X-Men series from 1992.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

True Detective

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
  • Community.
  • Doctor Who.
  • Sherlock.
  • Mad Men.
  • Arrow.
  • Manhattan.
  • Person of Interest.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@ad1x2 said:

What are you working with in terms of what to watch? Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime? I'm going to throw out a few names.

Grimm, 24, Oz, True Blood, The Sopranos, Defiance, Doctor Who, Batman: The Animated Series, and the X-Files are a few examples for Amazon.

Netflix has a crapload to choose from to include Prison Break, Fringe, Orange is the New Black, any of the Star Trek shows, Once Upon a Time, Justice League, Young Justice, Arrow, Breaking Bad, Firefly, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Sliders, and more.

If you use a DNS switcher you can change your home country and get more shows that aren't broadcast in the US version of Netflix. For example, the Mexico version has the first season of Gargoyles, the UK version has Homeland and The Shield, Canada has the Fresh Prince, and Ireland has the X-Men series from 1992.

I've got a few things to work out from, Netflix and a few other places

I've watched Arrow, Batman, Star Wars, Justice League. I use, but i want to check out the other ones. I can't access Hulu, because they are blocking my proxy

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Hard to list stuff when you don't mention what you watch.

The Ascension miniseries that aired a few days ago on SyFy was fantastic.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@ad1x2 said:

I've watched Arrow, Batman, Star Wars, Justice League. I use, but i want to check out the other ones. I can't access Hulu, because they are blocking my proxy

I recommend the Flash since you watched Arrow. The Legend of Korra is also worth watching. It ended this month and you can watch season four on Nick.com for free.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@ad1x2 said:

I recommend the Flash since you watched Arrow. The Legend of Korra is also worth watching. It ended this month and you can watch season four on Nick.com for free.

i've watched everything from the Flash, but I haven't seen anything from the Last Aribender

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Get LOST. Its on Sky Catch up or cheap on amazon at the moment. A good couple of months to watch but worthy it for sound track a loan.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: It is not the original Avatar series; it is its sequel. Both are decent shows, of course.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@ad1x2 said:

Try Unblockus or IronSocket to get Hulu. They're about five bucks a month. It should work assuming that your connection to Hulu is being blocked due to your IP showing that you're not in the US and not by your Internet provider itself blocking access to Hulu. If the latter is what is blocking your access to Hulu then you'll need a VPN.

I don't know how IronSocket works because I never used it but with Unblockus it shows your IP in the US for Hulu and Amazon but with Netflix it shows your IP wherever you select it to be on the webpage. I could be mistaken, but I think for Hulu Plus you need a prepaid card if you don't have an American credit card and the free version doesn't show nearly as many episodes as the paid version.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@ad1x2:i will have to try that

@skipper847: i will never watch anything with Lost, i hated how they fucked up the last season.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

Game of thrones, although has not finished yet.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Already been mentioned, but Fringe is awesome. amazing characterization. (complete series is on Netflix.)

Sleepy Hollow

The Following isnt too bad. (2 seasons on Netflix.)

The 100 (first season is on Netflix.)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@harry_james_pot said:
  • Community.
  • Doctor Who.
  • Sherlock.
  • Mad Men.
  • Arrow.
  • Manhattan.
  • Person of Interest.

I've seen Sherlock and Arrow, the other ones look interesting

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I haven't seen it yet, but HunterxHunter looks to be a really good shounen anime I plan on watching. At least it looks better than naurto/one piece/bleach, although I havent seen those either so who am I to judge I guess. I tend to enjoy the more edgy and serious anime, but HunterxHunter seems to be more mature than other shounen, up there with attack on titan.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

you probably aren't ready for it. the wire.

best show ever.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Ever seen this show?

highly recommend it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

"The Fall" was a very promising series. It's dragged on too much though: which is why I think "The Missing" was better. Kept it as a mini series with separate story-lines (like Fargo).

Still: The Fall is still worth a watch if want a slower moving show without attempted plot-twists constantly.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Ever seen this show?

highly recommend it.

No, but i am a big DC fan

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You could man up a little bit and watch the American version of Top Gear

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@Jaysonguy said:

You could man up a little bit and watch the American version of Top Gear

No, that is the worst version of Top Gear, by far

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Try any of the Netflix originals yet?

• Orange is the New Black
  • House of Cards
  • Lilyhammer
BillyMays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BillyMays
Member since 2002 • 1170 Posts

da vinci's demons
spartacus

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

TV:

Ray Donovan
Burn Notice
Archer
Game of Thrones

Anime:

Bleach (Skip the filler episodes)
Black Lagoon
Heat Guy J
Monster
Desert Punk
Attack on TItan
Parasyte
Hellsing Ultimate
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Last_Ride

@CountBleck12: i've watched Bleach and FMA, are the other ones shonen?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CountBleck12

@The_Last_Ride said:

No but they're pretty awesome.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Mine.....

or

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

@CountBleck12 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Alright, are they long?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup

Father Ted should be on Netflix. It's on a par with the Simpsons before it became garbage: better imo.

Loading Video...

amyswain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 amyswain
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

A new series started called 'How to get away with murder' it really is great! Also orange is the new black is good, been told to watch it for the past year and constantly forgetting and decided to watch it last week, have done the whole first season already

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CountBleck12

@The_Last_Ride said:

@CountBleck12 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Alright, are they long?

Nope, the longest you'll get would be like around 24-25 episodes.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

I'm going to list a few overlooked past shows just because they're excellent, offer something different, aren't often thought of during these types of decisions, and their popularity have stood the test of time (at least in niche markets/demographics).

Freaks and Geeks is an excellent straight forward teen drama

Pushing Daisies is an excellent... what is it, anyway? Drama? Mystery? Fairy Tale? Comedy? Hell, just give it a shot. It's about a pie maker who partners with a private investigator because he can bring people back to life with a touch. But if they're alive longer than a minute, someone else dies in their place, so he only has 1 minute to interrogate the dead. He can put them back by touching them a second time at which point they're dead forever. He discovered this gift by touching his dead girlfriend, who arose again, but that caused her father to die in her place. Now he can't touch his girlfriend or she will die again (forever), which results in a weird love triangle type of thing because the girl he employs wants him and thinks the relationship is a sham because they never touch. And it's all told in a weird, overly bright technicolor fairy tale type atmosphere.

Wonderfalls is worth a shot. It's about a girl who hears the inanimate objects in her gift shop talk and give her advice.

The Outer Limits from the 60s is a Twilight Zone esque show from that era that not many watched. It's amazing.

Mr. Bean is a great British comedy if you're into that sort of thing. It's short, so you could burn through it in no time.

Northern Exposure is a great "Fish Out of Water" drama.

The Prisoner is a fun multi-interpretation type of drama about a British secret agent who is held on a surreal secret island against his will.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@CountBleck12 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@CountBleck12 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Alright, are they long?

Nope, the longest you'll get would be like around 24-25 episodes.

oh ok, that's not so bad.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@Toph_Girl250: Is that the new one or the old one? The new one is terrible.

Should have you relieved that its the old one I posted.

Old one is just called Teen Titans, while the new one is called Teen Titans Go! Only differences in the title is the word "go" being placed after Teen Titans.

Yeah, old one is far better. Seriously whoever the head execs are at Cartoon Network, or whoever is still really malfunctioning and destroying it, just really needs to be impeached already. Since as far as I know, the way CN's going down the tubes is beyond ridiculous.