This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Hey Off Topic!

Anyone ever been here before, me and my girlfriend have booked for a holiday here later in the year, would appreciate any tips or advice on what to expect and some do's and dont's.

I've read a few tips online already would just like to see if anyone here as anything too add, I'm guessing someone on these forums has been to Tunisia.

If not I know a few users live in countries that are Islamic and may offer some advice on how foreigners should behave.

I went to Egypt in 2010, we were so unprepared and several things ruined our holiday due to our naivety and lack of experience and knowledge.

Tunisia seems pretty similar to Egypt so would like to better prepared this time round.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@thehig1 said:

If not I know a few users live in countries that are Islamic and may offer some advice on how foreigners should behave.

Eh there's some pretty big differences between Muslim countries.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thehig1

@Storm_Marine said:

@thehig1 said:

Thank you captain obvious.

However its still worth asking, Tunisia is a Muslim country and will have far more in common with other Muslim countries than the UK. So its still worth asking the question

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265

@thehig1 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thehig1 said:

However its still worth asking, Tunisia is a Muslim country and will have far more in common with other Muslim countries than the UK. So its still worth asking the question

Well in the same way a predominately Christian country in Central Africa would have a lot in common with a predominately Christian country in North or South America I guess. :/

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1

@Storm_Marine said:

@thehig1 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@thehig1 said:

Well in the same way a predominately Christian country in Central Africa would have a lot in common with a predominately Christian country in North or South America I guess. :/

Yeah that's what I mean

For example if someone is Moroccan they are likely to have a lot more in common with Tunisia than the UK, so there insight would be relevant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-598fc45371265

I was joking. ._.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Don't show the sole of your shoes. I did the first time I visited Egypt a long time ago (Operation Bright Star - war games between US and Egyptian forces). I was wondering why one of our heavily armed local security guys was scowling at me. My feet was stretched out and crossed with soles right in front of him. I said, "Ooops. Sorry." and tucked in my feet. He then nodded and smiled at me. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

If you see a welcome sign "come join ISIS here" grab your things and get out of there!

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

You should undertake a pilgrimage to the now-decrepit "Tatooine" set used in Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope. It's about 38 years old now, but it's still very recognizable ...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

You should undertake a pilgrimage to the now-decrepit "Tatooine" set used in Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope. It's about 38 years old now, but it's still very recognizable ...

Came here to mention this. Aside from the oases (Tunisia is famous for them), this would be my main reason for going to Tunisia.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thehig1

Yeah the star wars set looks good, its a 6 hours coach journey to touez were its located as were staying in hammamet.

Doubt I could convince my gifriend to give up a day of the holiday for it.

I'll sure try though

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Don't kiss your girl in public (that should have been pretty obvious)

Dress modestly. Don't walk around the hotel in shorts.

If you're not fluent in Arabic don't try to be. It can be offensive.

When Quran is being chanted Muslims are advised to keep quiet. So if you hear Arabic chanting you might want to lower your voice.

If discussing Islam don't EVER refer to Muhammad (pbuh) by simply Muhammad. Instead refer to him as the prophet, the prophet of God, the prophet of Islam, prophet Muhammad.

Don't try to shake the hand of a Muslim woman.

Generally speaking Muslims don't like to talk and eat. (It's not always true though) Talk only after everyone is finished with their meals.

Don't gaze at people for too long. Especially don't gaze at women. Especially don't gaze at women wearing niqab. Also Muslim societies are some of the gayest societies by western standards. Men kiss each other on the chick. It's a sign of friendship and brotherhood not being gay so don't assume they're gay and wonder what the hell these gays are doing in Tunisia. As I said don't gaze at people. I assure you ISIS has not made its way to the Tunisia yet. So if you see a man with a beard the length of a Christmas tree don't assume he's a terrorist. He probably just has poor hygiene.

Notice if the place you're at requires you to take your shoes off or not. Generally speaking don't enter people's houses with your shoes on unless they do it themselves.

If someone lends you a copy of Quran don't ever put it on the ground. Instead put it on top of a shelve or something.

If in a mosque don't take pictures if people are praying.

If in a mosque don't stand in front of a praying man/woman.

Don't look cool. You may get the evil eye.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I've never been to Tunisia myself but have some knowledge and [limited] personal experience with Tunisians so I'll throw in my two cents. Generally speaking Tunisia is one of the most liberal MENA countries so as a westerner you probably won't have to adjust your demeanor that much except maybe for the obvious thing of not making out with your girlfriend in public. To my knowledge it won't get you in trouble in Tunisia or anything as public decency laws either don't criminalize the act or are simply not enforced to begin with. But some might take issue with it so better restrain yourself and stay on the safe side. The comparison you made between Egypt and Tunisia is largely a incorrect one; the two countries have very little in common. I've been to Egypt and it was a shit experience in general, not my cup of tea but I can see why it fascinates some people. But I'd definitely LOVE to visit Tunisia and I know a couple of friends who've been there and absolutely fell in love with the country and the people. Tunisians are amazing people, very hospitable and generous but of course as a tourist stay alert for people trying to take advantage of you. The food is supposedly sensational but I'm not one for Maghrebis food. The culture is absolutely rich you need to look in the right places though and I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Over the course of the Islamic empire Maghreb countries played a major role in many historic epochs and events and were a prominent hub of the Islamic enlightenment producing a profusion of scholars and philosophers who carried the ethos of the era over to Spain and Portugal and of course to the remainder of Muslim countries. Also Maghreb countries are overwhelmingly left-disposed; communism and Marxism in general are a big thing there or at least have been until recently. I believe you will take notice of the peculiar blend between these ideologies and a culture that is Arabian/Islamic in essence. Tunisians speak a dialect of Arabic that is almost unintelligible to speakers of more standard Arabic dialects because it is heavenly influenced by French which is a language spoken by everyone there, something that is a remnant of French colonialism.

I hope this will prove to be of some help to you. Generally speaking you chose a great destination for your holiday I'd be hyped if I were you and that's saying something because I'm very picky and hard to excite. I'm positive this will be a memorable experience inshallah :3

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli

@alim298 said:

Don't kiss your girl in public (that should have been pretty obvious)

Dress modestly. Don't walk around the hotel in shorts.

If you're not fluent in Arabic don't try to be. It can be offensive.

When Quran is being chanted Muslims are advised to keep quiet. So if you hear Arabic chanting you might want to lower your voice.

If discussing Islam don't EVER refer to Muhammad (pbuh) by simply Muhammad. Instead refer to him as the prophet, the prophet of God, the prophet of Islam, prophet Muhammad.

Don't try to shake the hand of a Muslim woman.

Generally speaking Muslims don't like to talk and eat. (It's not always true though) Talk only after everyone is finished with their meals.

Don't gaze at people for too long. Especially don't gaze at women. Especially don't gaze at women wearing niqab. Also Muslim societies are some of the gayest societies by western standards. Men kiss each other on the chick. It's a sign of friendship and brotherhood not being gay so don't assume they're gay and wonder what the hell these gays are doing in Tunisia. As I said don't gaze at people. I assure you ISIS has not made its way to the Tunisia yet. So if you see a man with a beard the length of a Christmas tree don't assume he's a terrorist. He probably just has poor hygiene.

Notice if the place you're at requires you to take your shoes off or not. Generally speaking don't enter people's houses with your shoes on unless they do it themselves.

If someone lends you a copy of Quran don't ever put it on the ground. Instead put it on top of a shelve or something.

If in a mosque don't take pictures if people are praying.

If in a mosque don't stand in front of a praying man/woman.

Don't look cool. You may get the evil eye.

I don't know mate, but I don't really think you actually know what you're talking about. For instance this mostly wouldn't apply at all, at least not that strictly, to some way lesser liberal Arabian countries let alone to Tunisia which is second perhaps only to Lebanon in terms of liberal social values. Most of the things you mentioned aren't true or greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportions while some others are just nonexistent. For instance, who exactly would offer him a Quran and why? Its not like Quran giveaways to Muslims are a thing in Tunisia or anywhere across the MENA region and no one would offer a Quran to a foreigner of a different faith anyway. No one would hold it against a foreigner or someone from a different faith if they don't qualify the mentioning of the prophet with peace be upon him or any other honorific and while not being commendable when some Muslims don't do it no one is going to make any fuss about it. The thing about eating and talking is..made up? Never heard of it nor have I ever observed it in any Arabic culture. As for gazing at people that could be said about most if not all cultures out there as its usually interpreted as either an intrusion into one's personal space/privacy or an act of hostility. I agree with the taking off of the shoes remark. Seeing how Tunisia is a rather liberal country shaking hands with women isn't really frowned upon or something. In fact that continues to become more and more antiquated of a social norm across the region, not that I necessarily agree with its antiquation. Lastly the remarks about praying are true but I doubt he'd find himself in such a situation anyway. I'm not trying to be superfluously and pedantically scrupulous but seeing how TC is heading there for a holiday I'd like him to go equipped with an accurate perception of his holiday destination without worrying him unnecessarily.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

I went to tunisia with my girlfriend last ocotober and we had a fantastic trip. The one thing I would advise is be prepared for the cities. I was shocked when I drove through a main town where there were literally thousands of sheeps in markets and sheep being slaughtered in the street. Yes, I saw a sheep get killed in public and there was blood everywhere, and it really put me off. Generally the tunisian people are nice but I wouldn't bother talking to anyone you don't need too, as they'll probably offer you camels for your girlfriend (not joking) it happened it me. Oh and lastly but MOST IMPORTANTLY you need change. and lots of it. Everyone will expect a tip for literally everything, and they'll push you and push you to get more out of you. Its the expected norm there, you must tip. If you're at an all inclusive hotel, they have people for literally every job you can think of, getting towels, getting chairs, drinks, taking rubbish away and they'll all stand around for a few seconds afterwards in an awkward silence expecting a tip, and boy you feel bad if you don't have it. Otherwise, have a fantastic trip! i would love to again in a few years :)

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Good luck, TC. You couldn't pay me to visit a Middle Eastern country without a flight of SFs at my back.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

Africa Air. Anyway not a vacation spot I'd pick but have fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-598fc45371265

@GazaAli said:

The comparison you made between Egypt and Tunisia is largely a incorrect one; the two countries have very little in common.

See TC? Now imagine the difference between Tunisia and Pakistan or Tunisia and Saudi Arabia or Tunisia and Malaysia.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alim298

@GazaAli: It's called messing with people. Most people think Tunisia is a shithole. Scaring him is the only good thing one can do at this point. Then when he sees the place for himself he'll be all like "What? Where are all the black people who trim their Santa beards with their swords, sleep in rags and drink cow urine?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

@sheikhspeare said:

@Storm_Marine said:

@GazaAli said:

The comparison you made between Egypt and Tunisia is largely a incorrect one; the two countries have very little in common.

See TC? Now imagine the difference between Tunisia and Pakistan or Tunisia and Saudi Arabia or Tunisia and Malaysia.

Heard you been talking shit about Pakistan?

Pakistan? More like Wackystan.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alim298

@airshocker said:

Good luck, TC. You couldn't pay me to visit a Middle Eastern country without a flight of SFs at my back.

Tunisia technically is a far east middle eastern country.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli

@alim298 said:

@GazaAli: It's called messing with people. Most people think Tunisia is a shithole. Scaring him is the only good thing one can do at this point. Then when he sees the place for himself he'll be all like "What? Where are all the black people who trim their Santa beards with their swords, sleep in rags and drink cow urine?"

Forgive my sarcasm-o-meter; that definitely went over my head. I just didn't want TC to be put off of such a beautiful country and to get a damper put on his holidays plans by incorrect information.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alim298

@sheikhspeare said:

@alim298: Well, don't you think you kinda ruined your own plan by replying to Gaza?

Well Ali's detailed post had already foiled my plan. :(

It should have been obvious from the start though. My post was pretty alarmist.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli

@sheikhspeare said:

@alim298: You could have just transformed into me and kept playing the viola. Ali ain't hard to fool. You only had to sound stubborn by replying in one liners and he'd have posted long walls of texts and at one point, he would have given up. Meh both you suck!

I'd have ignored him right away so your argument is invalid

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GazaAli

@sheikhspeare said:

@GazaAli said:

@sheikhspeare said:

@alim298: You could have just transformed into me and kept playing the viola. Ali ain't hard to fool. You only had to sound stubborn by replying in one liners and he'd have posted long walls of texts and at one point, he would have given up. Meh both you suck!

I'd have ignored him right away so your argument is invalid

First of all, that isn't even an argument. Secondly, you're wrong about ignoring. Judging from your history, you usually ignore 'trolls' after their 4th attempt. In other words, I can get 3 long walls of texts out of you before you'll realize I'm trolling.

Now go to bed. Think, think and think of how I'm better than you in all regards.

You've been keeping tabs on me? Well that's disconcerting...

Most importantly though, keep this up and you'll know how it feels firsthand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@alim298 said:

@airshocker said:

Tunisia technically is a far east middle eastern country.

Distinction without a difference.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thehig1

@killerk1ng: @GazaAli: Thanks, your comments have helped

@thegerg said:

What issues did you have in Egypt?

We Got Ripped off a few times during haggling, in markets they tried there best to confuse us by constantly changing the currency their offer was in (Either Egyptian or British Pound)

We got food poisoning from Orange Juice they served on draft, this was because it was from their tap water, well Girlfriend was sick I wasn't too bad.

We changed all our money in the UK before we left, only to find out you don't even need to change money at all, most stores accepted English money and preferred it.

They even sold items at lower value for English Currency, if I had my own currency haggling would have been much easier.

Beach sellers drove us mad, they would not leave you alone.

Tipping culture, we caught out not having coins to tip, a common trick in the Egyptian Airport is they take away toilet rolls and lock the door, and you pay them a tip or they don't let you out.

Had to pay someone £20 Egyptian dollars to let me out the toilet, the guy was huge.

All this could have been avoided if I done some research on were I was going before, as I said were naive and wont be visiting Tunisia, I will know what to expect and how to respectful and have an enjoyable holiday :D

@sheikhspeare: Knowing how you normally post, I knew not to take your post to serious and it was meant as humour (I think)

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3858 Posts

@airshocker: You got that right brother.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli

@thehig1: Yea I remember how my brief stay was in Egypt, what a torment. I knew beforehand the extent of the tipping culture in there and the insane hustling and steamrollering all around you to buy something or hire someone for a measly service. I spent about 3 days in there for transit and I didn't tipped a single bugger nor did I allow anyone to carry my bag or whatever the **** they offered. It is nearly impossible to enjoy your visit there because you basically have to be extremely alert all the time for all kind of underhanded dealings. Its like you're in a battlefield or something And the food, well believe it or not I didn't eat for the entire period of my stay there. I relied mainly on Pringles and candy bars. One thing I liked was the argeela, the Egyptian definitely know their argeela. But an Egyptian friend accompanied me throughout my stay and he was a tremendous help I have to say. Unless you know someone there or somehow know your way around the country, don't bother.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thehig1

@GazaAli said:

@thehig1: Yea I remember how my brief stay was in Egypt, what a torment. I knew beforehand the extent of the tipping culture in there and the insane hustling and steamrollering all around you to buy something or hire someone for a measly service. I spent about 3 days in there for transit and I didn't tipped a single bugger nor did I allow anyone to carry my bag or whatever the **** they offered. It is nearly impossible to enjoy your visit there because you basically have to be extremely alert all the time for all kind of underhanded dealings. Its like you're in a battlefield or something And the food, well believe it or not I didn't eat for the entire period of my stay there. I relied mainly on Pringles and candy bars. One thing I liked was the argeela, the Egyptian definitely know their argeela. But an Egyptian friend accompanied me throughout my stay and he was a tremendous help I have to say. Unless you know someone there or somehow know your way around the country, don't bother.

Indeed, I wont be going back to Egypt for those reasons.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

egypt in 2010? now tunisia?

has your travel agent taken life insurance out on you?

what the hell is wrong with a nice beach in the caribbean with bar service?

anyway with the spots you seem to enjoy my advice would be hiding bribe money everyplace you can.

you can never take too much bribe money.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thehig1

@Riverwolf007 said:

egypt in 2010? now tunisia?

has your travel agent taken life insurance out on you?

what the hell is wrong with a nice beach in the caribbean with bar service?

anyway with the spots you seem to enjoy my advice would be hiding bribe money everyplace you can.

you can never take too much bribe money.

Dont have Caribbean money, it costs nearly 3 times as much.

Tunisia is only a 3 hour flight away, and 1 hour time difference which is perfect as were going for 1 week.

On the other hand anywhere in the Caribbean is at least 8 hours flight away, 4 hours time difference too, so a week is a waste for Caribbean as you'd be jet-lagged for the first day at least.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@airshocker said:

So much hillbilliness in one post. Tunisia is not a Middle Eastern country.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thehig1

@themajormayor: true, its actaully closer to europe than the middle east.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I like it as much as I like Egypt, that said... that isn't a lot. The people are mostly unfriendly and very pushy, like in Egypt nearly everyone wants to scam you. The weather is nice though...

I'd rather go to Greece or the Canary Islands for a beach holiday.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 alim298

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker said:

At first I thought he simply doesn't know the difference between MENA and ME so I wanted to test him to see whether he knows where Tunisia is located or not. Surprisingly when I replied to him by saying that "Tunisia technically is a far "east" middle eastern country" he did not correct me. What's even funnier is that there's this other guy who confirmed what he said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@alim298 said:

@themajormayor said:

@airshocker said:

At first I thought he simply doesn't know the difference between MENA and ME so I wanted to test him to see whether he knows where Tunisia is located or not. Surprisingly when I replied to him by saying that "Tunisia technically is a far "east" middle eastern country" he did not correct me. What's even funnier is that there's this other guy who confirmed what he said.

I'm not sure why it matters where exactly the place is. This isn't a geography class and we're not debating geography. The sentiment is still the same any way you look at it: You couldn't pay me to go to a Muslim country without a group of armed Americans at my back supporting me. I value my life far too much to risk it by voluntarily going someplace that I'm hated.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GazaAli

@alim298 said:

I actually wanted to correct you at first but then decided to let the jig going. I see it delivered.