Trying to quit smoking cigarettes?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vtec815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vtec815
Member since 2010 • 55 Posts

I've been smokingfor three years and am trying to quit, I'm wondering if Gamespot has anyone else going through this or anybody who quit smoking, What do you think is the best way to aproach this by going cold turkey? Any advice from anyone whos dealing with this or dealt with it ? i smoke maybe a half pack a day and im 20

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Quitting is hard, dude. You need to commit to it.

But if you're serious, You could try using the patches to cut down the necessity. Chew gum or use another method that keeps your mind off of smoking while using the patches. It's going to be very hard dude. You need to be 110% commited.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
My dad saw his doctor and they gave him some drugs to help him out. Also he went and bought a ton of tootsie-pops, and instead of going outside to smoke he just ate one of those instead. Chocolate releases the feel good hormones you get with a lot of things, such as smoking, so it kind of emulated the same thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Talk to your doctor. Nicotine is very addictive and they may have advice or even medicines to help you quit.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 W1ckedGo0se
Member since 2008 • 1246 Posts
My Parents raised me not to be a quitter... But, the only way that will work is cold turkey... If you use gum or patches it keeps your nicotine levels up so its easier to relapse. Cutting down is the worst way to quit because you will just be on nicotine withdraw for until you quit the last one then your with draw will be as bad as going cold turkey to start. I know the nicotine should be out of your system after 3 days then its just the mental part...
Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

Try something new... pss wanna get some crack? *just kidding* :P

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#7 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

Nope. Never started. And, yes, this is me feeling superior to you :D

But seriously, good luck. I hear it's hard. Though, I wouldn't know, because I never started, you know, ever.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Go to the doctor. Trust me it's worth it. And try subsituting for it.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 W1ckedGo0se

But seriously, good luck. I hear it's hard. Though, I wouldn't know, because I never started, you know, ever.

vadicta

we are so proud of you... skipped over cigarettes and went straight for the meth... what a big boy...

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vadicta

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

W1ckedGo0se

we are so proud of you... skipped over cigarettes and went straight for the meth... what a big boy...

HAROINE thank you kindly :D If I'm gonna kill myself I'm gonna do it right!

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
Absolutely cold turkey. I haven't seen any other way work. Exercise helps to burn off the extra adrenaline you'll get from withdrawal, making things a lot easier . The physical part of the addiction lasts around three to five days and the rest is just avoiding situations where you'd normally have smoked, eg. no coffee after a meal, no going to the pub, until the cravings have subsided.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Get cancer. I'm fairly sure this will be incentive enough to quit.

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

vadicta

HAROINE thank you kindly :D If I'm gonna kill myself I'm gonna do it right!

Double dose or heroin or shotgun blast? :lol:

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 W1ckedGo0se
Absolutely cold turkey. I haven't seen any other way work. Exercise helps to burn off the extra adrenaline you'll get from withdrawal, making things a lot easier . The physical part of the addiction lasts around three to five days and the rest is just avoiding situations where you'd normally have smoked, eg. no coffee after a meal, no going to the pub, until the cravings have subsided. jimmyjammer69
what do you mean subsided? The cravings will never leave. They just get less frequent and shorter, but you have to still be careful of what you go or in 20 years you be smoking again...
W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 W1ckedGo0se

Rekunta
If you already hit the cancer part nothing else bad has time to form... That's when you go for gold and see if you can down a carton in a day...
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jerk-o-tron2000

Absolutely cold turkey. I haven't seen any other way work. Exercise helps to burn off the extra adrenaline you'll get from withdrawal, making things a lot easier . The physical part of the addiction lasts around three to five days and the rest is just avoiding situations where you'd normally have smoked, eg. no coffee after a meal, no going to the pub, until the cravings have subsided.

jimmyjammer69

The Cold Turkey method requires some serious commintment.

Just sayian...WakaWaka.

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

W1ckedGo0se

If you already hit the cancer part nothing else bad has time to form... That's when you go for gold and see if you can down a carton in a day...

Yep, when you got nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Buy an E-cig. Should satisfy your nicotine cravings, and it will cut out the smoke. Then you can lower the nicotine levels as needed.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 W1ckedGo0se

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

jerk-o-tron2000

Just sayian...WakaWaka.

Everything else leads to relapse... the gum and patches just keep the nicotine in your blood stream so you'll never be able to stop using them...
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

im in the same boat..its friggin hard to quit. ive gone 2 days but then something stresses me out and i go buy a pack and oohhhh it feel so good to smoke it. its hard as hell. i dont think i have the willpower yet. i want to quit but i just havent got to the point where i absolutely wont allow myself to have one

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

I'm in the process of quitting myself. Can't really say if there's a bona fide technique that will work, but I'm doing good just on sheer willpower. Just keep telling myself that I don't need it (still cave in a few times here and there though :P)

drj077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 drj077
Member since 2003 • 8375 Posts

While it doesn't substitute for the advice of your physician, there are definitely numerous options that I could suggest. For instance, many like nicotine gum or nicotine patches as they can be slowly titrated down over an extended period of time while still giving you a nicotine fix. However, some like simply going cold turkey, which in your case wouldn't necessarily be that difficult. Most of the older patients that I end up running into nowadays typically smoke 1-3 packs per day and their journey is a little more difficult. Other options include antidepressants like Wellbutrin or a drug like Chantix, which allows you to keep smoking while taking the drug, but the drug slowly removes your cravings to the point that you simply don't want to smoke anymore. Many states have hotlines or financial assistance for obtaining Chantix. There is also the Nicotrol inhaler.

All in all, there are many options. You just have a find a plan and stick to it. Also, it's much easier if you're quitting with someone else, because accountability is very important when it comes to habits.

The overall affect that this decision will have not only onyour health, but also your finances. As the taxes on cigarettescontinue to rise,it is only a matter of time before payingfor cigarettes has to trump another potential need or want.

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="jerk-o-tron2000"]

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

W1ckedGo0se

Just sayian...WakaWaka.

Everything else leads to relapse... the gum and patches just keep the nicotine in your blood stream so you'll never be able to stop using them...

True, addictions are always with you...

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 W1ckedGo0se

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

Just sayian...WakaWaka.

jerk-o-tron2000

That's why I quit nothing... It doesn't sound fun to move from one addiction to another so I'll stick it out till I'm dead or mentally insane....
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]Absolutely cold turkey. I haven't seen any other way work. Exercise helps to burn off the extra adrenaline you'll get from withdrawal, making things a lot easier . The physical part of the addiction lasts around three to five days and the rest is just avoiding situations where you'd normally have smoked, eg. no coffee after a meal, no going to the pub, until the cravings have subsided. W1ckedGo0se
what do you mean subsided? The cravings will never leave. They just get less frequent and shorter, but you have to still be careful of what you go or in 20 years you be smoking again...

Maybe the cravings are still there in some form, but I don't feel like I ever need a cigarette anymore. Sometimes if I'm having a beer in a pub garden in midsummer and everyone around me is smoking, I feel like I'd like a cigarette and sometimes not, but that's not the same thing as the cravings I got for a few days whilst quitting.

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

W1ckedGo0se

That's why I quit nothing... It doesn't sound fun to move from one addiction to another so I'll stick it out till I'm dead or mentally insane....

You only live once, am I right?

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jimmyjammer69

[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

jerk-o-tron2000

Just sayian...WakaWaka.

That's true, but the hump lasts less than a week, which is worth bearing in mind when you're tempted to light up. I have heard that quitting is by far easiest when you're ill and your lungs aren't up to the smoke, so maybe it's worth hanging around sick people if you're having a hard time. :P
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vadicta

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

jerk-o-tron2000

That's probably the absolute worst logic to use to convince yourself to continue smoking.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

don't take chantix whatever you do, god it was months before i felt right after being on that crap and i started smoking as soon as i stopped taking it.

there are also at least 100 deaths associated with it. (nothing in comparason to smoking but still)

just switch to an E-cig. i tried that and never went back to smoking.

now i hate to roll up in here and start shilling crap but as a guy that loved smoking literally more than life itself i can't not say anything about how i will never go back to smoking and it is because of the Tornado E-cig and liquids from viking vapor, johnson creek, and halo e liquids.

jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

vadicta

That's probably the absolute worst logic to use to convince yourself to continue smoking.

That wasn't an advice piece, we kinda got off topic with it.

W1ckedGo0se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 W1ckedGo0se

[QUOTE="W1ckedGo0se"]

vadicta

Okay meth/"HAROINE" man...

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Get the vape cigarette
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

It's hard. Some say it's doable. I've tried a few times and I've never succeeded.

Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

easiest way to quit smoking guaranteed [spoiler] STOP IT! [/spoiler]

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Google it, there will be a ton of websites with advice.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

get someone else addicted

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Hello there brother! I recently quit myself, about 12 days clean now. Smoked for roughly 3 years, about 3-5 packs a week.

*waits for applause to stop* :P

My only suggestion is that for the first three to five days you get out of your element; go on a vacation, go visit your family...do something to get out of town. Thanksgiving is coming up; see if you can take off Wednesday and come back to your normal life on Sunday, that'd be a perfect break.

After that amount of time, you will be over the physical aspect of the addiction. Then it is just mental. You will need to tell yourself "No" about every five minutes or so for the first week lol. Its not fun, you will get sad, angry, and your sweet tooth will own you...citrus fruit helps, I think the act of peeling the fruit and eating it segment by segment is enough of a ritual to replace a cigarette for a while.

Tell everyone you are quitting, and do not be afraid to brag about it when you reach milestones like your first week, etc. Do not, however, tell anyone you are going to quit...this leads to the "just one last cig" situation.

Develop a holier than thou attitude; if you smell tobacco smoke, tell yourself it is disgusting even if you dont believe it. If youre like me, your sense of smell will come back three times as strong and you will realise just how bad smokers really do stink.

The last point is one where some, or most, might disagree: keep a pack of smokes lying around. Keep them somewhere where they are in front of you all the time. For me, that would be on my computer desk. They'll sit there, challenging you. Maybe you'll get drunk one night and even smoke one and, if youre like me, you will get so sick from it you won't do it again. Prove the "Youre only one cigarette away from a pack a day" sayng wrong.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

My mom quit smoking all three times she was pregnant, and I think she recently decided she was going to try and do so again. She's been smoking since she was about 18, and I think she's having a hard time getting rid of the habit.

Avatar image for Jedi_Shearstone
Jedi_Shearstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jedi_Shearstone
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts

I substituted cigarettes with beer worked wonders as drinking means you dont have to go outside in the cold for a cigarette every hour.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

I substituted cigarettes with beer worked wonders as drinking means you dont have to go outside in the cold for a cigarette every hour.

Jedi_Shearstone
Alcohol makes me crave nicotine a lot more!
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 vadicta

[QUOTE="vadicta"]

W1ckedGo0se

Okay meth/"HAROINE" man...

At least I'm gonna die fast an enjoying myself :P You're gonna die slow and totally feeling it coming!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 000000000111
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

You have to have some hella will-power to completely stop, but you can do it.

I started smoking at age 14 after my parents got divorced, I quit at age 20. I tried to quit several times; patches, nicotine gum, lozenges, meds and none of them ever worked for me (they still had the nicotine in them that you will crave when you try to ditch those.) I was smoking as much as you were the final time I quit (1/2 - 3/4 pack a day.) I quit cold-turkey, it was my last resort but it worked great!!!

First it's all a mind over matter process, you have to convince yourself you do not need to smoke to get through the day and throw the last of your smokes away (DO NOT keep a few for a rainy day this is extremely tempting and you'll just smoke them the first time you get even remotely stressed.) If you have to create a mantra and recite it every morning when you wake up, it does help. Next, you need to find an alternative for when you have a craving (most people going CT go with candies, gum, etc.), I stuck with sunflower seeds and gum. You will have cravings it is normal, myself and several friends haven't smoked in years but still have cravings (remember the mantra??? you may have to go over it in your head) they aren't nearly as bad as when you first stop but they do happen.

So, TC the best of luck to you, I really hope this advice helps with the challenge you are preparing to face!

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

quitting is really hard. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor to come up with a good quitting plan.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
My advice is to quit when your ready to find other ways of dealing with your problems than smoking.
Beyond_Belief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Beyond_Belief
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

I have the best method to stop smoking. First go to the store buy 2 or 3 packs of cigs. Smoke all of them one after another until you cant take another puff then youll feel pretty sick and hopefully the thought of smoking makes you feel sick and there ya go no more cigs for you. My uncle quit smoking this way and it worked great except the sick part of course but its a small sacrifice

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

Try something new... pss wanna get some crack? *just kidding* :P

Rutzfuz
this is true. start playing wow if it gets increasingly hard to quit cigarettes. joking
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Cold turkey was the way for me. I was a heavy smoker for 15 years (longer than some of you have been alive) and I quit on July 31 of this past year and haven't looked back.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

they make fake cigarettes now. said to simulate actual smoking

grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
Just give up now. You'll never make it.
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

Let me try to motivate you.

If you don't give up smoking then I will take away your first born child!!! FEAR ME!!!:twisted: