Top loved/hated Bachelor degrees by employers...

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Link

I found this article's lack of faith disturbing. I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? It does say that it shouldn't be a hated degree, but that most employers don't like it. If you're the head of a firm, then wouldn't you LIKE seeing it? Sure, you might not need somebody at the moment, but constant interest has to be uplifting.

Here's hoping your degree isn't on the losing end.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Computer Science is a loved degree. Yay!

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Architecture is good... for a firm of architects. When the economy's bad, no one's building, and if no one's building, there's no need for an architect. So kind of a dead end degree for sh!t times really, mores the pity.

EDIT: And I will add, its hated because most non-architectural employers would assume the only reason theyve received a CV from someone with an architectural degree is because theres no jobs in architecture. So whatever job theyve applied for, the reasons theyve engineered for doing so are just regarded as bullsh!t. Which is most likely true.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

In demand careers I see. Doesn't really list sciences ofc.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
its the typical, "we dont need artists and philosophers and creative thinkers," BS that ends up in almost every career oriented subjective list based article.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

its the typical, "we dont need artists and philosophers and creative thinkers," BS that ends up in almost every career oriented subjective list based article.Allicrombie

Unemployment numbers kind of speak for themselves, Alli.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.Zeviander
To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Well it does take like 8 administrators as a hospital to ask someone to do the job the 8 of them were supposed to do so I can see why they're in such demand.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.chessmaster1989
To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.

wow
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? edgewalker16

I think their use of the word hate isn't really fair.

My take on the architecture thing - the economy downturns, construction slows. Building refurbishment slows and all sorts. There are already plenty of architects, so some architects may have lost their jobs as a result of the economic downturn. These people probably want to get back into architecture too.

I have no idea about the scope of an architecture degree, what other sideways shifts in career would be available to such a person?

Incidentally I have a science degree, and postgraduate diploma, and I am employed in science. I feel very, very lucky and work hard to keep my job!

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.chessmaster1989

if that.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

no he was there when they handed out inflated egos and intellectual pretension
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.chessmaster1989
Ouch, not even subtle about it anymore. What did I do to piss you off exactly?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

LOL holy sh1t

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.Zeviander

your current culture of pretentious douchebag anarcho-libertard individualism could piss off even the most levelheaded
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
I'm doing sports communication; yay me!
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.Jandurin

your current culture of pretentious douchebag anarcho-libertard individualism could piss off even the most levelheaded

mhm
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
Philosophy isn't useless... it is fascinating and can certainly help you deal with life in general. I understand that it is not a popular degree if you are out to make as much money as possible, but what people seem to forget is that jobs can seriously suck. No money in the world is worth being miserable. I'd rather have a philosophy degree and teach and have enough to get by as opposed to working 60 hours a week in something I have no interest in. Another thing that ties into this is the fact that most college kids have never worked a real job and have no sense of what it's like to work for more than three hours a day. I suggest getting a full time job during the summer or something to get a taste of what it's like to actually work hard. I think it would benefit you younger folk just starting college.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Philosophy isn't useless... BenedictArnold7
why are you getting a degree in how to read books shouldn't you have learned that in grade school
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... Jandurin
why are you getting a degree in how to read books shouldn't you have learned that in grade school

Clearly you have no idea what philosophy even is. This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever heard in response to anything.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#23 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
even when the economy is good, architecture is a very competitive field. you might be a good employee but still not get the job you want.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

bachelors of architecture are hated because of the varying focus of the program. Depending on where you attend school, their program will tend to focus on one of three aspects - historical, practical, or artistic. So when an employer is looking for an architect, they might not be getting what they want. That person might only know how to design by hand...or they might not know anything about hand drawn technique and instead only know how to use AutoCAD. Similarly, some programs ignore the practical side of architecture altogether and instead focus on an artistic approach.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cloud_Insurance

Philosophy isn't useless... it is fascinating and can certainly help you deal with life in general. I understand that it is not a popular degree if you are out to make as much money as possible, but what people seem to forget is that jobs can seriously suck. No money in the world is worth being miserable. I'd rather have a philosophy degree and teach and have enough to get by as opposed to working 60 hours a week in something I have no interest in. Another thing that ties into this is the fact that most college kids have never worked a real job and have no sense of what it's like to work for more than three hours a day. I suggest getting a full time job during the summer or something to get a taste of what it's like to actually work hard. I think it would benefit you younger folk just starting college.BenedictArnold7

In the real world it pretty much is useless. What does someone who majored in philosophy bring to the table in the corporate world? Unless you are teaching or writing, you don't possess a skill that an employer can use.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Communications? Really? The degree that everyone who wants to party through college picks? I always take Yahoo articles with a grain of salt, but this one I'll go a step farther and disregard altogether.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... it is fascinating and can certainly help you deal with life in general. I understand that it is not a popular degree if you are out to make as much money as possible, but what people seem to forget is that jobs can seriously suck. No money in the world is worth being miserable. I'd rather have a philosophy degree and teach and have enough to get by as opposed to working 60 hours a week in something I have no interest in. Another thing that ties into this is the fact that most college kids have never worked a real job and have no sense of what it's like to work for more than three hours a day. I suggest getting a full time job during the summer or something to get a taste of what it's like to actually work hard. I think it would benefit you younger folk just starting college.Cloud_Insurance

In the real world it pretty much is useless. What does someone who majored in philosophy bring to the table in the corporate world? Unless you are teaching or writing, you don't possess a skill that an employer can use.

Agreed. Philosophy is indeed fascinating, but the best way to indulge in it is to take philosophy classes as electives and learn more about it on your own time as well. Getting a degree in it is not a particularly good idea.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... BenedictArnold7

Clearly you have no idea what philosophy even is. This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever heard in response to anything.

The musings of ancient Grecians, similar to those of stoned hipsters today in fact.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

Communications? Really? The degree that everyone who wants to party through college picks? I always take Yahoo articles with a grain of salt, but this one I'll go a step farther and disregard altogether.

jim_shorts

I take Yahoo articles with a grain of salt as well. Their dating/relationship articles are hilariously bad. I'd go as far as to say that following some of their relationship advice could fvck up one's relationship. There was this article called "top [insert number] ways to tell men are lying" whose advice would only succeed in making women unduly suspicious of their boyfriends.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Link

I found this article's lack of faith disturbing. I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? It does say that it shouldn't be a hated degree, but that most employers don't like it. If you're the head of a firm, then wouldn't you LIKE seeing it? Sure, you might not need somebody at the moment, but constant interest has to be uplifting.

edgewalker16
I don't believe that Communications is the most loved degree: at many colleges, it is the easiest degree there. People hate Architecture BS because it is completely worthless without grad school. I think the only thing an undergrad Architecture degree is good for is to be an assistant to an Architect.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Philosophy is more than that. It helps you quote Jiddu to the uneducated folk, right before asking if they want fries with that.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... tagyhag

Philosophy is more than that. It helps you quote Jiddu to the uneducated folk, right before asking if they want fries with that.

lol

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

The article is quite clear that the ranking is simply a statistical comparison to the national unemployment average. Those with less than an 8.1% unemployment rate for new grads are "loved", while those with more than an 8.1% unemployment rate are "hated'.

In reality, those adjectives are worthless as this report should just be labelled as unemployment rate for new grads by degree type. Hardly surprising about architects.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]

Link

Jacobistheman

I don't believe that Communications is the most loved degree: at many colleges, it is the easiest degree there. People hate Architecture BS because it is completely worthless without grad school. I think the only thing an undergrad Architecture degree is good for is to be an assistant to an Architect.

it depends on where you get the degree. In some instances getting the bachelor's degree is enough to sit for the exam to become a licensed architect.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I am stunned everytime I see the Arts shunned; people think they're more progressive than they actually are. There will always be a need for the Arts.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

You would be surprised how many illiterate fvcks there are.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Neither of my degrees made the list one way or another! I'm not useless and I don't have to deal with the pressures of extreme success!

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
i don't have a degree but i do have a metric sh*t ton of certifications (mostly cisco, CCENT/CCNA+security etc) more often then not my employers seem much more satisfied with my hiring once they get an idea of my work ethic. which is funny because i work with a guy that has a degree, does my exact job only poorly and yet they give that fvcker more money.pfft
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Neither of my degrees made the list one way or another! I'm not useless and I don't have to deal with the pressures of extreme success!

_BlueDuck_
HOORAY FOR MEDIOCRITY ;p
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Not surprised to see Communications on there. Seems like most people aim for that degree.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Damn, son.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

cool my degree is on the number one loved lol....1 year to go and i get to use this piece of paper:cool:

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... BenedictArnold7

Touche.

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

#2 bachelors in communications.

Well... looks like I'm set for life. I can't wait to graduate within 2 years and be loved by employers!

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Considering i'm planning to go into CS, I can stand being #3.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GreySeal9

Oh snappity snap snap.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

jim_shorts

That was my initial reaction, but maybe things have changed with the way social media has taken off. A lot of businesses have twitter/facebook accounts which need voices.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.

Architecture student detected.