Top 4 problems with Game Of Thrones season 6 characters [spoilers ahead]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Robert-37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Edited By Robert-37
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

[Spoiler alert ahead]

The conclusion of Game of thrones season 6 marked show writers David Benioff & D. B. Weiss' foray into writing without the book series' structure and detailed plot - previously set out by George R R Martin. But did season 6 hold up to the writing of previous shows, or is it merely riding on the back of its overwhelming popularity?

Fans of the show were watching in higher numbers than season 5, but that hasn't stopped some viewers (including myself) to question some of the decisions made. David Benioff (in an interview with Deadline) spoke of how they are 'walking on [their] own and can't rely on the written material anymore'. Apart from the now infamous Hodor scene, which has spawned the creation of many (hilariously) edited images of doorstops superimposed upon his face.

Herein lies the problem as more 'tv writing' choices have emerged rather than ones solely based on quality of narrative and viewership.

[disclaimer: I'm a huge game of thrones fan and love the series as well as the latest, however these are some things that have arisen and could be better]

Number 1: Daenerys entering easy mode.

Its no surprise that Daenerys deserves a break, but the seemingly immortal conqueror this season seems to come out of any given situation without experiencing any particular struggle. She doesn't even need to have been shown successfully training or riding the dragons with skill before, but that didn't stop her from defeating an army at slavers bay and the taking over the entire Dothraki horde...

Number 2: Tyrion 'screen time' Lannister

Tyrion was an excellent character potentially challenging perceptions of minorities and how they were treated in Medieval societies. However, the recent characterisation of Tyrion has unfortunately fallen into the mists of an all too quoted line (which I will now quote). 'I drink and I know things', but what does tryrion know anymore? When we could of had plot arcs and development. We were instead fed unnecessarily elongated scenes of Tyrion drinking...and that's about all for a lot of the development. This is potentially due to the popularity rise in his character and the show's willingness to expose audiences to their favourite characters, rather than what would be best for the narrative. (like showing Dany actually riding a dragon).

Number 3: Arya stark - What is...alive? may never die?

Unless there's some unexplained plot or wild fan theory, arya stark's plot line for Braavos has been interesting yet filled with some minor details, like surviving a dagger to the stomach among other things. Now I may not have a medical degree, but I know enough about what happens if you get stabbed in the stomach.

She crossed the worlds deadliest magical assassins, got stabbed, picked up her sword and set off for westerns with a chirp in her step.

Number 4: Jon Crow

Now Jon is my favourite character like most people. But you have to agree after his resurrection the legendary commander's demeanour was fairly meek. Once a young hero who gained the vote of the knights watch to the position of commander. To then making basic mistakes, and running into a fight with a few hundred against figures in the thousands! It was just illogical suicide. But a similar theme was still echoed in that there was no danger, of course he would be saved, of course he would be a terrible military leader who has lost a lot of his strong and in depth characterisation. (or maybe the Resurrection was a bit tougher than we thought). But Jon's character seemed to lack the qualities he's so fervently been presented as having before. Although if the series is keeping in line with fantasy filmography, after a resurrection Jon will likely be more powerful than ever, and tied into the narrative. Certainly with the reveal of his Mother a song of Ice and Fire seems an apt description to some for his lineage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just some of the issues in the great show that I loved. Whilst I appreciate it, season 6 has made me appreciate the work of George even more so when translated into the hit HBO show. Characters sometimes didn't seem like themselves, or screen time that would be better spent developing the narrative is actually just pandering towards fan service. What do you think about the characters developments in season 6? is there a noticeable difference from the past? please comment below with your own opinions.

( I personally enjoyed the battle of the bastards which i felt had a lord of the rings-eque touch to it, where the giant's death was very reminiscent of Borimir and Jon's rescue like that of helms deep)

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The season lacked the epic feel while just rushing to the finish line. Better than Season 2.

They were definitely pandering to the audience...a shame.

Robert-37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Robert-37

@AFBrat77: I do feel like an awful lot the story progression happened in the last few episodes !

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

I agree with nearly all the points. Nice observation. It seems as if they're hurrying the plot (whichever they have in mind). I expected Daenerys to get shekt by Dothrakis but lo and behold! Jorah and Dario are there. But that isn't really a big issue. The big issue is: How the fudge did Arya survive?

But Varys' alliance with Dorne seems to be hinting a more political next season. This season was too action-oriented. There weren't enough politics.

Robert-37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Robert-37

@and1salttape: I did feel like Daenery's was in an almost impossible seeming situation, and then an entire hoard just followed her because she set a few people on fire. Throwing their culture, tradition and its values down when their leaders were just assassinated. I had heard a theory to do with Arya when drinking from the death water, that she became not so human anymore. Time will tell for that one I think. The politics is at the heart of the story as much as I love action.

TheManofPears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheManofPears
Member since 2016 • 284 Posts

Loved the first 4 Seasons, absolutely hated 5, 6 had its highs and lows

I agree with everything mentioned by OP but the character that 6 completely ruined was Jamie.

Jamie's arc is how he begins as a despicable, immoral and dishonorable man that to the viewer is easily hated. As the story progresses we learn more of the character. In the Show the bath scene was his turning point, from then on he was on the path to redemption (possibly my favourite scene).

Now Jamie, thanks to Brienne's integrity, wants to change. He wants to fufil his vows and behave like a true knight. He has lost his hand which has lead to the loss of his identity and much of his ego.

The show writers begin to fail Jamie in Season 4 when they don't pay due attention to his role as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. The 'rape' scene was poorly done, it took Jamie steps backwards. Trying to buddy him up with Bronn in Dorne (don't get me started on Dorne) was just fan service, trying to get across the 'bro' attitude. They attempted to build a father figure with Myrcella, but they killed her off instantly... Why should I care about her dying?! I don't know the character. It was cheap and shallow.

In 6 Jamie completely regresses, saying he'd do absolutely anything, including murder, for Cersai. This contradicts the journey he has made so far where his vows become important, and he realises that Cersai is evil (in the books anyway). And to top it all off they have him removed from the Kingsguard, which makes no ****ing sense.

Sorry for the book and a half of text, it's just rare to find people who recognise how poor the character writing has become.

Robert-37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Robert-37

@themanofpears: ah I completely agree ! (admittedly it was going to be a top 5, and I was considering Jamie, but I'd already been writing that for a while haha). Its like the structure George has built upon which works with the narrative has collapsed a bit with things that just don't make sense. Maybe its not a completely bad thing if we still get the books (eventually I assume) and find out all the details as intended!