Tom Mcshea and Carolyn no longer work for gamespot.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Why ?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#103 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Randolph said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Don't read any reviews on this site, and layoffs are a part of life, but Carolyn seemed like a pretty cool person based on her posts off-site so it's unfortunate.

It's really sad that to get a good current measure of what kind of person GS staff members are, you have to go offsite. I remember when Greg Kasavin, Alex Navarro, and Jeff G would actually actively participate in their own forums. The disconnect between members and staff, and the increasing injection of personal political and social agendas into reviews, is a part of the reason for the downturn on GS, and thus these layoffs. Gamespot has created for itself this image of it's staff as snooty and distant social justice warriors who want to talk AT you, as opposed to talking with you and having a real discussion.

These layoffs have been in the works for a while Randolph, i already knew something was up back when Johnny stopped feedbackula and Danny moved to the US office, and Gamespot uk was closed down, even though that went quietly and no one even noticed they were gone.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

@Lab392 said:

Apparently a lot of people here think a good reviewer is a person who toes the party line, sticks with conventional ideals, and gives the AAA-budgeted, most-anticipated forum darling a 9.5 or 10/10. It's a shame I have to tell you this, but that's not what a good reviewer is. A good reviewer is not a person who tells you what you want to hear or gets caught up in the same hype and zeitgeist you got caught up in. A good reviewer is honest about his or her subjective experience and has the eloquence to accurately convey that experience. Tom or Carolyn didn't like a game you like as much as you did. Who cares? Be adult enough to understand that some people don't like what you like. Be adult enough to know that some people judge games on different criteria than you do. Be adult enough to know that some people hold different political ideals than you do. Learn to see another person's opinion on video games for what it is: another person's opinion on video games. These layoffs are a major loss to Gamespot, and it's a shame that talented individuals are out of a job. Here's hoping they find new employment soon.

Trouble is it wasn't about good critical analysis or detailed opinionated pieces, instead it was to stir up controversy and gain more traffic because really that's all they want, actually that's what anyone in the business wants but it doesn't make them good at the job. For example the second opinion reviews was just click bait material and if you read through the contents of it you can tell. I'm not even a big fan of Bioshock Infinite for example. I'm fine if he wanted to give it a low score but I and many people think he didn't justified it and of course most people just clicked on it and hated it because he was bashing a well received game.

Same with Carolyn who was just bad at explaining her points aswell as forcing a particular agenda that I didn't really give a crap about but apparently alot of people do. I'm not saying I'm glad they lost their jobs in my honest opinion I don't care it's just business (I'm sure they'll be employed soon anyway). But Gamespot is a terrible site for game journalism anyway I just stick around for the forums which also have gone to crap.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#105 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I quit reading Gamespot reviews years ago.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 indzman

@b74kd3th said:

@indzman: people like you are the reason this site is garbage and looked down apon

Hey moron , whose ALT are you BTW ?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By indzman

@b74kd3th said:

@shadowkiller11: I think most of the users here are the reason for its downfall

Says the 19 post only user =P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@b74kd3th said:

@shadowkiller11: I think most of the users here are the reason for its downfall

Well that's just stupid. Hint: site traffic affects cost per ad...which is money. In fact...the few users still here are what is keeping the site going. But enjoy your ignorance.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#110 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

@mjorh said:

That's what you get for dissing GTA....and The Last of Us ! :D

those were actually the only reviews that I liked coming from them.... I know they should have rated TLOU a 9 at least but the rest of the review was good.

Was kidding , i know that but unlike you i kinda wasn't on the same page with their reviews overall , ppl have different opinions after all and we gotta respect them ..

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#111 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

Don't read any reviews on this site, and layoffs are a part of life, but Carolyn seemed like a pretty cool person based on her posts off-site so it's unfortunate.

She wasn't. Well, I dont know her as a person, but as a game reviewer, she sucked. She kept on mixing her on personal views and agenda with her views on a game and she made reviews based with that, anything that was empowering to females or the LBGT community would get an instant 9 (look at gone home, even carolyn herself said in her yearly review that her GH review was EXTREMELY biased because of her views towards LBGT community).

Then the whole GTA scandal, make no mistake, GTA V certainly deserved an 8, but the reasons she cited "it's disempowering for women!!!" and "it makes fun of my political views!" were bullshit, she should keep her personal views to herself, reviewers should be unbiased, she wasn't.

As for Tom, I guess I could say i'm 50/50, most of his reviews weren't that great but he was that one reviewer who was willing to go against the current and grant fair scores to games that had "nostalgia shields" or "brand loyalty shields".

You even played GTA V or TLOU ? both deserves 10 plain and simple, why you think rest sites as IGN gave em both perfect scores ?

Yes I played both GTA V and TLOU. GTA V was an average game. I had much more fun playing San Andreas, I was also pretty dissapointed with rockstar claim that the GTAV map would be bigger than all the gta maps plus RDR combined. The city was extremely small. Most of the time it just feels like there isnt anything to do.

Tlou was great, which is why I didnt mentioned Tlou, I would of given it a 9, a 9.5 on a good day, but I didnt made any comments about it because I think its perfectly fine that she gave it an 8. While I do find it really annoying that once again, she gave left behind a 9.0 because of the lesbian love story.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@lostrib said:
@jazilla said:

Being happy about people losing their job is vile. I came here expecting people to be supportive and concerned for hard working, fantastic writers and producers etc. that no longer are gainfully employed. Those of you "happy" about them losing their employment should be ashamed of yourselves.

Lost their job? Carolyn's tweet indicates a walk-out...

You're confusing people quitting their jobs with getting fired lol... besides, there's always another job...end of a job isn't the end of their life, particularly in this industry.

They got laid off

Carolyn's tweet was worded deceptively (just like her reviews) - Well, like I said, not the end of their lives. They can find jobs elsewhere, probably better ones.

Anyways, I'm sure a lot of people disliked them for their opinions on games. I didn't dislike them for that. I disliked Tom and Carolyn because of how they arrived at their opinions, and how they wrote their reviews. I take reviews seriously for everything - movies, speakers, games, etc. - gaming is the only industry to get reviewers as poor as the ones they do. Tom and Carolyn frequently didn't know how to measure the objective aspects of games which were more important to the majority of gamers as opposed to their personal nitpickings and opinions. There's a certain way you must approach your content material if you're going to call yourself a critic, and you shouldn't approach the content as if you're an average-joe gamer like Tom and Carolyn often did.

Kevin V is often guilty of the same mistakes but he's a lot more professional and lot more respectable with how he carries himself, arrives at his opinions, and explains them.

I miss reviewers like Greg K. His reviews were excellent.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

It seems pretty apparent that as far as the forums go, it's the community that killed them. The tou change revealed the faces under the masks and people left because of it. Now we aren't good enough to encourage people to come back

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

@dave123321 said:

It seems pretty apparent that as far as the forums go, it's the community that killed them. The tou change revealed the faces under the masks and people left because of it. Now we aren't good enough to encourage people to come back

Gamespot's staff killed this site, not the users.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 dave123321

The users killed the community though. Staff killed the site in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@dave123321 said:

They killed themselves, Dave. This isn't on the community. The community didn't force Tom McShea to say stupid shit. They also didn't force Petit to review her games in certain ways.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#117 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I'm gonna exercise what my momma always taught me "if you don't got nothin' nice to say, then don't say nothin"

so there.

PurpleLabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PurpleLabel
Member since 2014 • 314 Posts

@airshocker said:

@dave123321 said:

They killed themselves, Dave. This isn't on the community. The community didn't force Tom McShea to say stupid shit. They also didn't force Petit to review her games in certain ways.

Agreed. This site become the laughing stock of the gaming community for their reviews.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 dave123321

@airshocker: I am not talking about the topic we are in

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 dave123321

But yeah,

Peeps seem awfully quick to defend these reviewers as these beacons of truth and validity and dismiss critics as subnormal heathen versions of peeps that only want validation of very surface ideas of why they like the games they like.

Both sides have some validity though. And there are some users who hate the reviewers for silly reasons. But many have valid points to make

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#121 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Shame to hear about someone losing their job but they had it coming for awhile. I hope they find employment soon and learn from their mistakes.

If GS pulls off a coup and gets Greg Kasavin again i will believe there is hope for this website. He was the reason i decided to try out FFX and making it my favourite game of all time.

GoldenGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#122 GoldenGun
Member since 2003 • 131 Posts

I stuck around for the writing over the videos... if video reviews are going to be the content for Gamespot, I'm not sure how they're differentiating themselves from Giant Bomb? Ryan MacDonald I haven't seen around for years and I hate to see Justin Calvert being let go but I haven't seen a review from him in any games I've been interested in lately either.

I think I'm done here now though. As others have said the reviews themselves have gone downhill, GS has lost all personality in the past 5 years and both the revamped site and forums are a mess.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By lightleggy

@RoboCopISJesus said:

THey refused to get payed off and not give movie-games and generic shit a 9.0 or 10.0, so they were fired.

Carolyn gave Gone Home a 9.5.

She did this because its a game with LGBT friendly themes and female empowering themes, which she loved.

She herself said that the review was biased as **** because the game fitted her personal views down to a T.

Gone home is a "game" about walking and listening to a (very poor) story about your sister and her fight against the patriarchy and heterosexualism. There are literally no puzzles, no replay value, it lasts 2 hours as much (most people average one and a half hour) and it costs 20 bucks, since launch, giving it nearly a criminal value. User reviews for the game are ridiculously bad while the "professional" reviewers lauded the game with 9.0s and above because of fear of being prosecuted by LGBT activists, or just to push their own personal agendas.

It's also not the first time she did something like that, Carolyn's reviews were always affected by her own personal views about political or social subjects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

THey refused to get payed off and not give movie-games and generic shit a 9.0 or 10.0, so they were fired.

She did this because its a game with LGBT friendly themes and female empowering themes, which she loved.

She herself said that the review was biased as **** because the game fitted her personal views down to a T.

Gone home is a "game" about walking and listening to a (very poor) story about your sister and her fight against the patriarchy and heterosexualism. There are literally no puzzles, no replay value, it lasts 2 hours as much (most people average one and a half hour) and it costs 20 bucks, since launch, giving it nearly a criminal value. User reviews for the game are ridiculously bad while the "professional" reviewers lauded the game with 9.0s and above because of fear of being prosecuted by LGBT activists, or just to push their own personal agendas.

It's also not the first time she did something like that, Carolyn's reviews were always affected by her own personal views about political or social subjects.

All reviews are biased.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 dave123321

Light leggy, mayhaps peeps legit like gone home and the praise is not out if fear

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@lightleggy said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

All reviews are biased.

Pretty much.

This thread is fucking weird, users here don't seem to understand what a review is. also LOL'd hard at people talking about being "objective". Hilarious

also, Gone Home has an 86 on Metacritic. So trying to single out Carolyn Petit makes no sense.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Can't say I'll miss Tom "it feels like a video game" McShea's dipshittery.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 dave123321

@Aljosa23: agreed

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 dave123321

@Aljosa23: to be fair to lightleggy, he seems to be holding his silly ideas at most of the critics that liked gone home

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 worlock77

Personally I think it's asinine to give numbers, stars, thumbs up or whatever else to reviews. What the **** makes a game a 9.5 or a 9.0? What does it matter really? I enjoy reading reviews because I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the game (or movie or whatever), but I couldn't care less what score they give it (this isn't grade school).

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#131 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Wonder what's going to happen to the Gamespot Gameplay podcast. Will definitely miss McShea being on that.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 dave123321

Yeah. I've said it before and will say it again, get rid of numbers. Let the content of the review speak for itself. Numbers are just subjective emptiness

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#133 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@dave123321 said:

Yeah. I've said it before and will say it again, get rid of numbers. Let the content of the review speak for itself. Numbers are just subjective emptiness

Is nice having the numbers for aggregators like metacritic so that you can see an overview of what reviewers think.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 worlock77

@dave123321 said:

:thumbs_up:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@worlock77 said:

I enjoy reading reviews because I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the game (or movie or whatever),

BINGO

I agree with this. That's essentially what video game reviews are: the reviewer's thoughts on the game (and just about any sort of review, though book reviews are much more broad). The confusion in this thread seems to stem that users think reviews are "objective" (lol) analyses of games, which is is just factually untrue. There are more than enough sites out there that fill the need for glorified PR pieces, such as IGN. McShea and Petit will be missed because even if I disagreed with a lot of their opinions, they backed up their thoughts (most of the time, they've done a lot of reviews) pretty well, and it's refreshing to read someone's thoughts on a piece that differs from mine.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 dave123321

@chessmaster1989: that is a valid point. I guess I just wish more people wouldn't give so much value to the number. Or take the number into the context of what the game is trying to do.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 worlock77

@Aljosa23 said:

@worlock77 said:

I enjoy reading reviews because I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the game (or movie or whatever),

BINGO

I agree with this. That's essentially what video game reviews are: the reviewer's thoughts on the game (and just about any sort of review, though book reviews are much more broad). The confusion in this thread seems to stem that users think reviews are "objective" (lol) analyses of games, which is is just factually untrue. There are more than enough sites out there that fill the need for glorified PR pieces, such as IGN. McShea and Petit will be missed because even if I disagreed with a lot of their opinions, they backed up their thoughts (most of the time, they've done a lot of reviews) pretty well, and it's refreshing to read someone's thoughts on a piece that differs from mine.

Personally I thought Tom's reviews were often ridiculous because he seemed to often criticism a game not for what it was, but for what he thought it should be*. I also thought he could be downright insulting (like in his interview with Greg Goodrich over 'Medal of Honor: Warfighter').

(*It's kinda like criticizing 'Star Wars' for not having hard science, when it's meant to be fantasy rather than hard sci-fi.)

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I really fear for what the world could be like one day. If these sensitive pussies controlled things no one would ever lose their jobs because it is so sad for the person who loses their job. Who cares if they are completely incompetent at their job, constantly messing up, and depending on the job they could be hurting or killing people. It is just too sad to have someone lose their job so we can't let them go!

Seriously people, grow some balls and get with the real world. Preferably sooner than later.

@Master_Live said:

^^^^^If they consider what people are doing in this thread "hate" I wouldn't wanna know what they do when they encounter real hate.

@Randolph said:

If their is this one person (or two, in this case) working somewhere who is a really nice person, but is poor at their job, and they bring a lot of baggage in with them that is divisive and causes some customers to leave and take their business elsewhere… yes, you should be glad they lost their job. McShea and Caro were exceedingly bad reviewers.

Great people by all indications, but poor at their actual jobs. You have to separate professional and personal opinions. We lost someone at the store recently who I really liked on a personal level, but he was just awful at this job. I still talk to him when he comes in to shop and consider him a friend, but I'm really glad we let him go because he caused so many issues for us as an employee.

All three of these. You have to be careful over in the SW thread, with the mods lurking in the background in the stickied thread. You either have to say how much you are going to miss them or fear mod retribution.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 lightleggy

@toast_burner said:

@lightleggy said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

All reviews are biased.

To a certain extent, yes, like for example if the person reviewing it likes certain mechanics, say, covering mechanics, to put an example, then yes, maybe it will influence the score.

But it's a completely different thing to judge games for something outside of their gameplay or visual presentation. Carolyn did this all the time, dissing games that didn't fit with her personal views (female empowerment, lgbt rights, anti-liberal messages) and praising those which did. Without taking a look at the gameplay.

@dave123321 said:

@Aljosa23: to be fair to lightleggy, he seems to be holding his silly ideas at most of the critics that liked gone home

@Aljosa23 said:

@toast_burner said:

@lightleggy said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

All reviews are biased.

Pretty much.

This thread is fucking weird, users here don't seem to understand what a review is. also LOL'd hard at people talking about being "objective". Hilarious

also, Gone Home has an 86 on Metacritic. So trying to single out Carolyn Petit makes no sense.

Yes, and look at the discrepancy between the user and critic score. When it's that bad, you know something is up. And this isnt a DmC/CoD metacritic bashing where users just universally give the game a 1.0 to screw the MC score, these are people who are actually complaining about the ridiculously positive reviews this piece of shit of a game got.

Go check the steam reviews page for Gone home

http://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/reviews/

GS as well, or IGN, or giantbomb, WHICHEVER site you want, go check it and you'll see that the user score is always 6 or lower while the critics score is 9.0 or higher. Discrepancies like that aren't coincidence. There's nothing silly about it, have you played the game? The game is literally sold at 20 bucks and it lasts less than 2 hours, without ANY replay value, gameplay consist on walking and listening to audio cues and the visual presentation is pretty terrible. The plot itself is paper thin, the entire script would take less than 8 pages and every aspect of the story is incredibly predictable. The ending also sucks balls and it's completely detached from reality as opposed to the rest of the story.

The thing is, many reviewers were either afraid of being tagged as "non-progressive douchebags" or they just wanted to be "cool" by liking this "intricate piece of 21st century art" (The most common argument that GH fans have against those who disliked it is literally "You weren't smart enough to understand it") They wanted to be *that* reviewer who discovered this hidden gem in gaming.

I Also read a rumour about fullbright company (the devs) staff being acquainted with some prominent reviewers (Carolyn included) who said they would help them with their game reviews.

You may call all this silly, but I think its even sillier to deny the discrepancies between the user reviews and "professional" reviews for this game. Gone home is a shitty "game" and most people who played it think the same, its the ultimate depiction of "biased reviews".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@lightleggy: Okay first of all; do you know what a video game review is? It's the writer's OPINION and experience on the game. I'll type the main word in caps again if I have to: OPINION. You have a neat opinion about Gone Home too, okay, that's no more valid than Petit's review. You are taking this way too seriously and getting hilariously butthurt over someone's god damn opinion on a fucking video game. Do you know how absurd this is? You generalizing the entire gaming media isn't scoring you any points, either.

Also: user review? Who the **** cares? How many user reviews are written anywhere near as well as Petit's on Gone Home? I'd wager not even 5% are as detailed as hers. And yeah, reviews are all biased... because that's the entire nature of opinions. You are also placing way too much importance on the numerical value of a review. God, this is so retarded. How old are you?

You seem like you value "objective" (LOL) games criticism, in which case here you go.

Also yes, this is REALLY silly.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

These layoffs have been in the works for a while Randolph, i already knew something was up back when Johnny stopped feedbackula and Danny moved to the US office, and Gamespot uk was closed down, even though that went quietly and no one even noticed they were gone.

I was on the mod "team" when Johnny stopped doing feedbackula. It was because, well, they were flaming and making fun of users in those videos, and when those users gave as good as they got, they were being moderated. Even an admin staff as inexcusably lazy and absent as the one we have here realized the hypocrisy of that situation, and eventually that led to the show being ended.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By indzman

@lightleggy said:

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

She wasn't. Well, I dont know her as a person, but as a game reviewer, she sucked. She kept on mixing her on personal views and agenda with her views on a game and she made reviews based with that, anything that was empowering to females or the LBGT community would get an instant 9 (look at gone home, even carolyn herself said in her yearly review that her GH review was EXTREMELY biased because of her views towards LBGT community).

Then the whole GTA scandal, make no mistake, GTA V certainly deserved an 8, but the reasons she cited "it's disempowering for women!!!" and "it makes fun of my political views!" were bullshit, she should keep her personal views to herself, reviewers should be unbiased, she wasn't.

As for Tom, I guess I could say i'm 50/50, most of his reviews weren't that great but he was that one reviewer who was willing to go against the current and grant fair scores to games that had "nostalgia shields" or "brand loyalty shields".

You even played GTA V or TLOU ? both deserves 10 plain and simple, why you think rest sites as IGN gave em both perfect scores ?

Yes I played both GTA V and TLOU. GTA V was an average game. I had much more fun playing San Andreas, I was also pretty dissapointed with rockstar claim that the GTAV map would be bigger than all the gta maps plus RDR combined. The city was extremely small. Most of the time it just feels like there isnt anything to do.

Tlou was great, which is why I didnt mentioned Tlou, I would of given it a 9, a 9.5 on a good day, but I didnt made any comments about it because I think its perfectly fine that she gave it an 8. While I do find it really annoying that once again, she gave left behind a 9.0 because of the lesbian love story.

Why you say GTA V was average ? It improved upon previous game ( GTA IV ) by combat , driving , graphics. Playing as three protagonists , and switching characters whilst in a mission was a nice change. Trevor is one one of the greatest GTA chars till now in terms of pshycotic. Weapons or cars upgrades were also nice change from GTA IV. Map was certainly large , they coverered city , desert , sea all perfectly but they left out strip ( which you may have been dissapointed ). Nor that game was buggy. Is your main gripe over its single player or multiplayer ? I hated its multiplayer ( server issues ) , but single player rocked in every sense. If Carolyn gave GTA IV a 10/10 i wondered what stopped her giving GTA V a 10/10 also as it more better , diverse and rich in content. I'll not argue about San Andreas as its still best GTA game for me.

EDIT : Tom reviwed TLOU not Carolyn =P

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@dave123321 said:

But yeah,

Peeps seem awfully quick to defend these reviewers as these beacons of truth and validity and dismiss critics as subnormal heathen versions of peeps that only want validation of very surface ideas of why they like the games they like.

Both sides have some validity though. And there are some users who hate the reviewers for silly reasons. But many have valid points to make

Yeah, that's pretty aggravating. I didn't dislike Tom and Caro's reviews because they underscored a game I wanted. It was the content of their reviews that I disliked. Hell, the first review by Tom that made me start disliking his work was Infamous. The first game, not the second one. He gave the first game a 9.0 and glazed over some pretty serious issues that really hurt the game for me and made it a super frustrating experience. It was just a poorly written review. Then of course you have all the super awful click bait editorials he wrote.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

I was on the mod "team" when Johnny stopped doing feedbackula. It was because, well, they were flaming and making fun of users in those videos, and when those users gave as good as they got, they were being moderated. Even an admin staff as inexcusably lazy and absent as the one we have here realized the hypocrisy of that situation, and eventually that led to the show being ended.

And Randolph was never heard from again...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

They both did. Tom reviewed TLOU and Carolyn reviewed TLOU:remastered

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Nice to see those two trolls hit the street.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By indzman

@lostrib said:

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@indzman said:

@lightleggy said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

They both did. Tom reviewed TLOU and Carolyn reviewed TLOU:remastered

Yeah , i thought lightleggy was talking about original game lol.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I guess that this is a good bit of news. Gamespot has to remain fresh. Get rid of the old and bring in some new people.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#149 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

Yep, but the show didn't end before after Johnny had left Gamespot, apparently he had been a freelancer for quite a bit before and was just hired for that show and other fun tidbits. But i am surprised at how quiet they closed down gamespot UK and people never seem to even question where they all were

But i agree the show despite it being ok fun, was clearly escalating the troll comments because after i ended i haven't seen nearly as many truly bad comments. If thats because people were just acting up or because Feedbackula actually brought a lot of traffic to the site,, only Johnny can tell.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts