Tom Mcshea and Carolyn no longer work for gamespot.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Adino86 (10 posts) -

https://twitter.com/TomMcShea/status/494585135182778368

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/494570256241684480

#2 Posted by Allicrombie (25239 posts) -

Actually its Tom, Caro, Justin, Maxwell and Ryan, plus a few behind the scenes guys.

#3 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

Dat advertisers pressure...

#4 Posted by KHAndAnime (13912 posts) -

Awesome. Now we can finally have some agenda-free reviews...

#5 Posted by Adino86 (10 posts) -

@Allicrombie: Was there an earlier thread about the layoffs? Some of these people have been around for years. I remember Ryan hosting On the Spot and Justin's reviews in 2012. I thought the community should have put a farewell or a mention about the whole thing.

#7 Edited by GamingGod999 (3002 posts) -

#8 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28122 posts) -

@adino86 said:

@Allicrombie: Was there an earlier thread about the layoffs? Some of these people have been around for years. I remember Ryan hosting On the Spot and Justin's reviews in 2012. I thought the community should have put a farewell or a mention about the whole thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/seven-editors-laid-off-from-gamespot-so-far-31468614/#209

#9 Posted by KHAndAnime (13912 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:

Good, Tom Mcshea is a piece of shit.

I've been on Gamespot for well over a decade - Tom McShea and Carolyn are the only ones who put out remarkably poor reviews on a consistent basis. I'm excited to see some new faces.

#11 Posted by REforever101 (11200 posts) -

was this really all over the last of us? i mean I didn't care for them either, but thats a crap reason to be fired. the review was fair too

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

LOL read some tweets. Good reviewers? HAHAHAHAHA

#13 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Wish them the best

#14 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@REforever101: why would it be over that

#15 Edited by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

Bring Kasavin and Gerstmann back.

#16 Posted by yokofox33 (29912 posts) -

Cool. Doesn't really affect me, but oh well.

#17 Posted by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

And bring back the 0.1 increments for reviews.

#18 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: some of the reviews were insightful

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72482 posts) -

@Allicrombie said:

Actually its Tom, Caro, Justin, Maxwell and Ryan, plus a few behind the scenes guys.

Who are the others that left, i don't know all the names of people on the site

#20 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26353 posts) -

Don't read any reviews on this site, and layoffs are a part of life, but Carolyn seemed like a pretty cool person based on her posts off-site so it's unfortunate.

#21 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

That's asinine. What does an 8.6 compared to an 8.7 mean?

You only need a 5 point system.

5 - Great

4 - Good

3 - Average

2 - Poor

1 - Bad

0 - Shit

Everything else is redundant

#22 Edited by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

@Master_Live said:

5 - Great

4 - Good

3 - Average

2 - Poor

1 - Bad

0 - Shit

It means 8.7>8.6 fact.

System Wars has never been better.

#23 Edited by Vatusus (4699 posts) -

THANK GOD!

You were the weakest links. Goodbye. You wont be missed

#24 Posted by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Nuck81 said:

@Master_Live said:

5 - Great

4 - Good

3 - Average

2 - Poor

1 - Bad

0 - Shit

It means 8.7>8.6 fact.

System Wars has never been better.

System Wars is for Children and adult virgins

#25 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Have letter grades

Or don't have numbers or stars or letters at all

#26 Edited by Jacanuk (4770 posts) -

@Allicrombie said:

Hmm, thats quite a staff reduction but i kinda got that it was coming after Gamespot closed their Uk office down.

#27 Posted by rallykupo (86 posts) -

Honestly these are the responses you people give to talented people that just lost their jobs? I'll stick to NeoGAF where half of the posters here would already be banned for their rude and unnecessary comments. Disgusting.

Best of luck to all of those affected by these layoffs. I'll particularly miss Tom (and Cody) on the Gameplay podcast.

#28 Posted by jazilla (2291 posts) -

Being happy about people losing their job is vile. I came here expecting people to be supportive and concerned for hard working, fantastic writers and producers etc. that no longer are gainfully employed. Those of you "happy" about them losing their employment should be ashamed of yourselves.

#29 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@rallykupo: yeah OT has this weird thing about many peeps not having a lot of empathy when it comes to certain things.

#30 Posted by lostrib (37787 posts) -

@REforever101 said:

was this really all over the last of us? i mean I didn't care for them either, but thats a crap reason to be fired. the review was fair too

No, considering more than just them were fired. And Tom McShea gave his TLOU review like a year ago

#31 Edited by evildead6789 (7901 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@REforever101 said:

No, considering more than just them were fired. And Tom McShea gave his TLOU review like a year ago

oh relax , as long as we have our friend

Kevin van ord

#32 Edited by Master_Live (14860 posts) -

@jazilla said:

I came here expecting people to be supportive and concerned

You will learn that many of life's disappointments are about expectations.

#33 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4139 posts) -
@jazilla said:

Being happy about people losing their job is vile. I came here expecting people to be supportive and concerned for hard working, fantastic writers and producers etc. that no longer are gainfully employed. Those of you "happy" about them losing their employment should be ashamed of yourselves.

That's a pretty one sided way to look at it as well. While it does suck losing your job, most of us here were sick of the terrible reviews. Why would you want someone who isn't very good at their job to keep it? Sure, it feels a bit lame celebrating someone getting fired or Laid off, but it doesn't make much sense to be supportive of them either when you didn't like what they were doing.

#34 Posted by CrossFire245 (1040 posts) -

@Master_Live: Nah, I can live without .1 increments. I do wish they would bring back the .5 increments though. IMO I hate the idea of rounding up or down just so the review score can be a whole number...

#35 Posted by airshocker (29929 posts) -

Well, McShea is an idiot and Petit was weird with regards to her review of GTA5 and a couple of other games. I definitely won't miss McShea, though. Good riddance to him.

#36 Edited by KHAndAnime (13912 posts) -

@rallykupo said:

Honestly these are the responses you people give to talented people that just lost their jobs?

Obviously not everyone has the same opinion on you for what qualifies as "talented".

@jazilla said:

Lost their job? Carolyn's tweet indicates a walk-out...

You're confusing people quitting their jobs with getting fired lol... besides, there's always another job...end of a job isn't the end of their life, particularly in this industry.

#37 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5978 posts) -

This site has been going to shit ever since the Kane and Lynch incident and even before. This new gamespot site is so unappealing. Home page and forums are both just disgusting to look at and even use.

#38 Posted by supa_badman (16633 posts) -

i wish them both good luck

#39 Posted by fueled-system (6304 posts) -

Hope it is not the beginning of the end (probably not) but even though I wasn't a fan of either(never once agreed with either reviewer), I wish em luck.

#40 Posted by AFBrat77 (24139 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Bring Kasavin and Gerstmann back.

Kasavin at least, he was the best

#41 Posted by AFBrat77 (24139 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:

This site has been going to shit ever since the Kane and Lynch incident and even before. This new gamespot site is so unappealing. Home page and forums are both just disgusting to look at and even use.

Personally, I missed the titles we got when we went up a level, kind of thought that was charming

#42 Posted by lostrib (37787 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@rallykupo said:

Honestly these are the responses you people give to talented people that just lost their jobs?

Obviously not everyone has the same opinion on you for what qualifies as "talented".

@jazilla said:

You're confusing people quitting their jobs with getting fired lol... besides, there's always another job...end of a job isn't the end of their life, particularly in this industry.

They got laid off

#43 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5978 posts) -
@airshocker said:

Well, McShea is an idiot and Petit was weird with regards to her review of GTA5 and a couple of other games. I definitely won't miss McShea, though. Good riddance to him.

Carolyn gave Dark Souls a 9.5 or something, but complains Luigi's mansion 2 was too hard(it was easy as hell). Also lol at Tom for not reading Skyward Sword's manual...or even paying attention to the game...

#44 Posted by airshocker (29929 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:
@airshocker said:

Carolyn gave Dark Souls a 9.5 or something, but complains Luigi's mansion 2 was too hard(it was easy as hell). Also lol at Tom for not reading Skyward Sword's manual...or even paying attention to the game...

Yeah I really have no sympathy for McShea. Petit I didn't care for but at least she didn't try to say that Rainbow Six Siege was sexist because there was a female hostage.

#45 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17516 posts) -

Good riddance to Tom and Carolyn. Hopefully this means the site could stop this craziness of fishing for hits by saying dumb shit and become a site I can actually trust for reviews.

It will at least be much better without Tom and Carolyn. Carolyn had no idea how to review a game without her crazy feminist glasses on and Tom was just such a ridiculous reviewer that he became a joke on this site...

#46 Posted by Mankind_Legend (92 posts) -

I might actually start taking Gamespot reviews seriously again. Too bad this didn't happen sooner before some really good games were reviewed by them.

#47 Posted by harry_james_pot (10947 posts) -

Wow, this thread... Disagreeing with their opinions is one thing.. but you're actually happy that they lost their jobs? :s

And it was not just Tom and Carolyn, there's also Ryan Mac, Maxwell McGee, Justin Calvert, Benito, and Wernher. =(

#48 Edited by PurpleLabel (302 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@rallykupo said:

@jazilla said:

This.

Carolyn tried to make news stories out of reviews and get political. Mcshea was a joke. This site is better off.

#49 Posted by mjorh (809 posts) -

That's what you get for dissing GTA....and The Last of Us ! :D

#50 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

@mjorh said:

That's what you get for dissing GTA....and The Last of Us ! :D

LMFAO