deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

One is possibly the greatest actor of his generation and the other is Tom Cruise. The answer should be obvious.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Jack Nicholson for sure

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, it depends in what you mean by movie star. Nicholson is the better, more talented actor. But Cruise (he is a good actor too) is a huge box office draw and you could argue he is the more "talented movie star".

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Nicholson, easily. Cruise is a decent actor, but he gets by more on his charisma. Nicholson is one of the most talent actors ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

Nicholson, easily. Cruise is a decent actor, but he gets by more on his charisma. Nicholson is one of the most talent actors ever.

I feel like Cruise doesn't get to show his acting chops most of the time. He's a great actor when he wants to be like in Collateral and The Color of Money.

Avatar image for fred_flatulence
Fred_Flatulence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Fred_Flatulence
Member since 2014 • 65 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

I feel like Cruise doesn't get to show his acting chops most of the time. He's a great actor when he wants to be like in Collateral and The Color of Money.

And "Magnolia."

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

What?

Jack, obviously.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME ?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Most talented, Nicholson. The one I prefer, Cruise.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Obviously Jack Nicholson.

The guy is a master at his craft. Watch 'The Shining' for confirmation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Sir Jack.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

@plageus900 said:

Or Five Easy Pieces, which is a more understated but equally brilliant performance.

@fred_flatulence said:

And "Magnolia."

Yeah, he was fantastic in Magnolia.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

Jack Nicholson takes the cake, granted he's had a longer career with a great deal of work, but Tom Cruise is still pretty good, but his popularity has taken a hit since his public comments and stance and involvement in Scientology, and negative attention in his person life with celebrity news/gossip sites, so much so that people just don't want to see him movies. Paramount dropped him years back because of this. He still makes good movies regardless if people want to watch them. Jack Reacher and Edge of Tomorrow were really good and he did an excellent job in both. Still, he's no Jack Nicholson, who played great roles in such movies as The Shining, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, As Good As It Gets, he was also Tim Burton's Joker. Still, I expect Cruise to go on and make good movies, he's already signed on for a 2nd Jack Reacher film last I heard.

As actors I'd say their talent is on equal grounds, but Nicholson has accomplished more. Nicholson likely has a higher positive recognition and favorability than Cruise over Cruise's personal life. When I hear "who's a better actor", I realize though that sure actors do act and some do have varying degrees of talent, but many times it's not so much their talent that's sought but the persona of the actor. That's why we often see typecasting. It's a real treat when we see actors step out of their skin to play a role.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

too easy, tom cruise all the way.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AFBrat77

@plageus900 said:

He overracted a bit in "The Shining", I liked him in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest"

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AFBrat77

@watchdogsrules said:

too easy, tom cruise all the way.

Though Nicholson is the obvious answer, Tom Cruise really surprised me with his portrayal of Lestat in "Interview with a Vampire", he somehow pulled it off. Even Anne Rice was pleasantly surprised.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Jack for sure, Tom is great but if u take a look at their movies you'll find out that Jack had role in more awesome movies than Tom , Tom needs to stay away from action movies if he wants to show his talent , he's damn talented and i'd like to see him in movies which are dependent on the actor u know like Dramas and Biographies , in an action movie you can't demonstrate your acting skills.

watchdogsrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20 watchdogsrules
Member since 2014 • 551 Posts

@AFBrat77: jack Nicholson is a good actor. he was good in the shining, but when its a choice between him and tom cruise, its M:I all the way!

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

cruise is underrated. risky business is a classic.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Cruise at his best (Magnolia) is really something. Nicholson, however, is among the greatest actors ever. His work in the early 70s is probably the best run any actor has ever had.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

It's honestly a disservice to try to compare the two when they are both really talented actors that really have their own niches.. Both Jack and Tom have pulled off amazing performances in numerous movies, and they really play different roles for there to be a direct comparison..

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Nicholson is better and Tom Cruise has good movies like mentioned above. Top Gun, Vanilla Sky, Mission Impossible, and Edge of Tomorrow are among his best.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Nicholson is kind of overrated. He's a great screen presence, but he tends to mostly just play himself.

HkRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HkRay
Member since 2014 • 37 Posts

You want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@fred_flatulence said:

Who's the more talented movie star?

Cruise is better, mainly because he is more diverse and played in more (good) movies overall.

Nicholson has played some great roles but cruise keeps on dishing out one after the other. People will talk about the shining, easy rider, one flew over the cuckoo's nest and the departed but nicholson was best in 'as good as it gets'. In that movie nicholson shows that he can do character acting.

But cruise has things like that as well , like in collateral where he plays a hitman. He has way more movies where he plays his role superb: vanilla sky, the firm, rain man, risky business, cocktail, war of the worlds, interview with the vampire, eyes wide shut.

but apart from that he stars in numerous action movies as well, lately he even takes on scifi movies and does this extremely well (he did some before that but never pure sci fi like now). I know i was thinking when i started watching oblivion and edge of tomorrow, a sci fi movie with cruise, this has to be good .

And it is. As good as nicholson is, he will never be the genius that is cruise, because he can simply play everything and he does it great. He also does it run of the mill. Don't get me wrong nicholson is a great actor but he will never be of the caliber than cruise is.

Only di caprio, tom hanks and brad pitt are of that same kaliber, others can be great but they're not geniuses like they are. I would say someone like jude law, matt damon, edward norton, johnny depp, anthony hopkins and robert de niro are more something of nicholsons kaliber. They're great actors, but they will never have that genius like cruise.

It's quite simple, when you look at cruise, he can do comedy, action, character acting, drama, horror sci fi. Nicholson for instance will never pull off action like cruise did/does it. Norton and damon will never do comedy, while cruise will. I can see de niro do drama, action, comedy but i won't see em do horror or sci fi. Di craprio, hanks, pitt and cruise will simply pull off every role no matter what you give em , nicholson and the others will just in some parts not perform well, it's just not a part of their repertoire.

If you have never watched collateral, vanilla sky, eyes wide shut, cocktail, jerry maguire or rain man, i suggest you do. Actually pretty much every movie with cruise is good, and that's also the case with brad pitt, tom hanks and di caprio. That's not the case with nicholson or other actors for that matter.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the only jack Nicholson movie I've ever seen was the shining

I'm not a big fan of his movies.

I prefer tom Cruise especially Cocktail, War of the Worlds and The Color of Money