Today I am Proud to be an American

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

with it being M.L.K. Day and with the President getting an 2nd Term in Office. It has been a Great Day. God Bless America....

#2 Posted by sonicare (53550 posts) -

Congrats.

#3 Posted by Aljosa23 (25630 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MktlfjFb3j0

#4 Posted by thegerg (15723 posts) -
You know this is hardly the first time that we've celebrated an MLK day with a second term President, right?
#5 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

You know this is hardly the first time that we've celebrated an MLK day with a second term President, right? thegerg

Yeah you tell that son of a b*tch

good for you TC

#6 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

This is more suited to a blog.

#7 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

This is more suited to a blog.

jim_shorts
And nobody cares!
#8 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

I was proud too, made me feel good watching the first family and thinking about what Martin would have said.

#9 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -
How... ironic?
You know this is hardly the first time that we've celebrated an MLK day with a second term President, right? thegerg
You're trying too hard....
#10 Posted by Stesilaus (3448 posts) -

Congratulations to the warmongering baby-killer.

#11 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

Stesilaus

Yeah Im sure that's why he became president, to kill babies. STFU!

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -
Well I did get paid to stay at home....though it is rather cold. So I'll give an okay day.
#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

I was proud too, made me feel good watching the first family and thinking about what Martin would have said.

Yusuke420
Probably put up or shut up. You had four years and the country is no better. Plus...you lied and said you wouldn't run if you make the country better in your first term. Something like that....
#14 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -

so much propaganda on CNN right now, its not even funny

#15 Posted by Stesilaus (3448 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

Yusuke420

I hope he didn't knock back too many glasses of champagne at the after-party. We wouldn't want him to be hung over during his weekly kill-list meeting tomorrow morning.

#16 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

Stesilaus

I hope he didn't knock back too many glasses of champagne at the after-party. We wouldn't want him to be hung over during his weekly kill-list meeting tomorrow morning.

Wonder how much his party is costing us.:(
#17 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

LJS9502_basic

Probably put up or shut up. You had four years and the country is no better. Plus...you lied and said you wouldn't run if you make the country better in your first term. Something like that....

I'd say he did make the country better, we were losing 800,000+ jobs a month when he took office, now we have added close to 3 milion in the last 20 months. Healthcare reform, the war iraq is over and the war in afghanistan soon will be. I'd say it was a very successful first term and I look forward to immigration reform and other things.

#18 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stesilaus"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"] Yeah Im sure that's why he became president, to kill babies. STFU!

LJS9502_basic

Wonder how much his party is costing us.:(

Last time around there were eight balls (parties), this time there are only two. These next four years will be bette, just make sure you're doing your part!

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

I'd say he did make the country better, we were losing 800,000+ jobs a month when he took office, now we have added close to 3 milion in the last 20 months. Healthcare reform, the war iraq is over and the war in afghanistan soon will be. I'd say it was a very successful first term and I look forward to immigration reform and other things.

Tell that to the people struggling to provide for their families...and I'm not sure where you got the job information from but I'm calling shenanigans on that.
#20 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

Why do people assume that after a major financial crisis and two unfunded wars that everything would be 100% roses in four years? He said that times are tough and the road back will be long in numerous speeches.

#21 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34205 posts) -

Okay

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

Why do people assume that after a major financial crisis and two unfunded wars that everything would be 100% roses in four years? He said that times are tough and the road back will be long in numerous speeches.

Yusuke420
I'm only going by what Obama said.....
#23 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Yusuke420
Things aren't any better in any measurable way for most working families. You come off as someone very young and idealistic who isn't working or providing for anyone.
#24 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

LJS9502_basic

I'm only going by what Obama said.....

Things change, situations are fluid. When he was elected, he assumed that he was going to be able to work together with the legislature, then the Tea Party movement was spawned and congress has been all about gridlock ever since. Surely you can't lay ALL the blame at the feet of the POTUS for being optimistic about what was a monumental achievement in his intial election. People forget that he was a huge underdog to Hilary.

#25 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

You say you're Proud, and you put that statement with God Bless America. God does not like pride - taken from
http://www.womensbiblecafe.com/2009/11/25-scripture-verses-about-pride/

1. I will break down your stubborn pride. Leviticus 26:19
  2. The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks and make your home on the heights, you who say to yourself, Who can bring me down to the ground? Obadiah 1:3
  3. His pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God. 2 Chronicles 26:16
  4. In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. Psalm 10:4
  5. For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. Psalm 59:12
  6. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
  7. Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. Proverbs 13:10
  8. Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
  9. A mans pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor. Proverbs 29:23
  10. The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. Ecclesiastes 7:8
  11. The eyes of the arrogant man will be humbled and the pride of men brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. Isaiah 2:11
  12. I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless. Isaiah 13:11
  13. Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah. Isaiah 13:19
  14. The LORD Almighty planned it, to bring low the pride of all glory and to humble all who are renowned on the earth. Isaiah 23:9
  15. But when his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride, he was deposed from his royal throne and stripped of his glory. Daniel 5:20
  16. Do not go beyond what is written. Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. 1 Corinthians 4:6
  17. Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Galatians 6:4
  18. Your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 8:14
  19. Unleash the fury of your wrath, look at every proud man and bring him low. Job 40:11
  20. Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar. Psalm 138:6
  21. The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. Proverbs 16:5
  22. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud. Proverbs 16:19
  23. Before his downfall a mans heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12
  24. The LORD Almighty has a day in store for all the proud and lofty, for all that is exalted (and they will be humbled). Isaiah 2:12
  25. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 1 Corinthians 13:4
#26 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

jim_shorts

Things aren't any better in any measurable way for most working families. You come off as someone very young and idealistic who isn't working or providing for anyone.

You don't know me, I have a 20 month old son and both myself and my fiance work. We are going through this economy just like everyone else, but the difference is I didn't think that the election of the current POTUS was automatically going to make my life better in such a short window of time.

#27 Posted by Kamekazi_69 (4704 posts) -

I never understood this Afrocentric pride. To promote equality with others one must stand on equal ground. This reflection turns into ethnic pride and it becomes ridiculous. It isn't the 1950s anymore, and in general racism is frowned upon. But this sheer sense of entitlement and glorification of a certain ethnicity culture instead of applauding one mans accomplishments is wrong in itself. The man has been reaching out to Hispanics and African Americans foremost, and has divided this country even more. Sad really, and this is coming from a Hispanic.

#28 Posted by Shmiity (5215 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

You don't know me, I have a 20 month old son and both myself and my fiance work. We are going through this economy just like everyone else, but the difference is I didn't think that the election of the current POTUS was automatically going to make my life better in such a short window of time.

Exactly. This sh*t takes time. Its NOT going to be all roses in just 4 years. And you guys really would have preferred another old, white guy to run America? really? No. F*ck everyone- even if Barack Obama ultimately fails, I praise the hell out of him for trying to put new ideas forward.

#29 Posted by Shmiity (5215 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

jim_shorts

And you come off like an old moron who shouldnt be voting.

#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

Shmiity

Because he doesn't worship Obama? Dude.....we get it....you're his fanboy...but seriously that was uncalled for....
#31 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

I never understood this Afrocentric pride. To promote equality with others one must stand on equal ground. This reflection turns into ethnic pride and it becomes ridiculous. It isn't the 1950s anymore, and in general racism is frowned upon. But this sheer sense of entitlement and glorification of a certain ethnicity culture instead of applauding one mans accomplishments is wrong in itself. The man has been reaching out to Hispanics and African Americans foremost, and has divided this country even more. Sad really, and this is coming from a Hispanic.

Kamekazi_69

This is a bold face lie, he won a wide specturm of votes from a wide backround of voters. He did not win the white male vote in either election, so I don't see the basis for this kind of statement. He never once said "All blacks vote for me or All hispanics vote for me" He has always said that no matter your color, religion, or sexual preference, whether you vote for him or not, we are all Americans and deserve to continue to do the things that makes this nation great.

#32 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
Exactly. This sh*t takes time. Its NOT going to be all roses in just 4 years. And you guys really would have preferred another old, white guy to run America? really? No. F*ck everyone- even if Barack Obama ultimately fails, I praise the hell out of him for trying to put new ideas forward.Shmiity
It doesn't matter if the guy is old, young, white or black. I want a president who is a good leader. And I never said I expected it to be all roses in four years, just that good steps should have been taken by now. They haven't.
#33 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]Exactly. This sh*t takes time. Its NOT going to be all roses in just 4 years. And you guys really would have preferred another old, white guy to run America? really? No. F*ck everyone- even if Barack Obama ultimately fails, I praise the hell out of him for trying to put new ideas forward.jim_shorts
It doesn't matter if the guy is old, young, white or black. I want a president who is a good leader. And I never said I expected it to be all roses in four years, just that good steps should have been taken by now. They haven't.

Blame Congress for the gridlock on any legislation or budget proposals. The Senate says they will have one ready soon, but it's likely the Republicans will continue to abuse the filibuster before it can come to an up or down vote.

#34 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="Shmiity"]Exactly. This sh*t takes time. Its NOT going to be all roses in just 4 years. And you guys really would have preferred another old, white guy to run America? really? No. F*ck everyone- even if Barack Obama ultimately fails, I praise the hell out of him for trying to put new ideas forward.Yusuke420

Blame Congress for the gridlock on any legislation or budget proposals. The Senate says they will have one ready soon, but it's likely the Republicans will continue to abuse the filibuster before it can come to an up or down vote.

Oh no doubt congress is equally to blame. That can be helped greatly by instituting congressional term limits...which of course congress will never do to itself.
#35 Posted by Kamekazi_69 (4704 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

Yusuke420

It is a bold face lie, He won a wide specturm of votes from a wide backround of voters. He did not win the white male vote in either election, so I don't see the basis for this kind of statement. He never once said "All blacks vote for me or All hispanics vote for me" He has always said that no matter your color, religion, or sexual preference, whether you vote for him or not, we are all Americans and deserve to continue to do the things that makes this nation great.

That is not a bold face lie. So you are telling me for a fact that every single american specifically the black community did not vote for him simply based on his skin color? What did Jeremiah Wright Obama's pastor say (the guy Obama had as a speaker several times), he's notorious for spewing hatred toward caucasians, and this so called "white supremacy". The irony. Its reverse discrimination in itself. I didn't say he asked for minorities to vote for him, I said he has been reaching out to minorities foremost before the American nation as a whole. Do you realize America has a black history month? really? I'm getting tired of the race card. He is a terrible president, and no I am not basing it on skin color. It's not American anymore by the way. It;s either conservative, and liberal first before you hear American. This nation is dividing itself.
#36 Posted by Kamekazi_69 (4704 posts) -

Shmiity

Yet you define the opposing party as "another white guy". You see how contradicting this is. That is what's wrong with the voting system
#37 Posted by Drasonak (1509 posts) -

Well I did get paid to stay at home....though it is rather cold. So I'll give an okay day.LJS9502_basic
"The quality of the day is based on what's happening to ME, not the other seven billion people on this planet. By the way, why don't people like me? WWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well I did get paid to stay at home....though it is rather cold. So I'll give an okay day.Drasonak

"The quality of the day is based on what's happening to ME, not the other seven billion people on this planet. By the way, why don't people like me? WWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Those things he mentioned most certainly did NOT affect seven billion people. You keep trying kid....you'll get it right some day.
#39 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]

Kamekazi_69

It is a bold face lie, He won a wide specturm of votes from a wide backround of voters. He did not win the white male vote in either election, so I don't see the basis for this kind of statement. He never once said "All blacks vote for me or All hispanics vote for me" He has always said that no matter your color, religion, or sexual preference, whether you vote for him or not, we are all Americans and deserve to continue to do the things that makes this nation great.

That is not a bold face lie. So you are telling me for a fact that every single american specifically the black community did not vote for him simply based on his skin color? What did Jeremiah Wright Obama's pastor say (the guy Obama had as a speaker several times), he's notorious for spewing hatred toward caucasians, and this so called "white supremacy". The irony. Its reverse discrimination in itself. I didn't say he asked for minorities to vote for him, I said he has been reaching out to minorities foremost before the American nation as a whole. Do you realize America has a black history month? really? I'm getting tired of the race card. He is a terrible president, and no I am not basing it on skin color. It's not American anymore by the way. It;s either conservative, and liberal first before you hear American. This nation is dividing itself.

First of all why are people so desperate to connect Jeremiah Wright's beliefs to the POTUS? Is he not a free thinking individual that can decide for himself if what his pastor says is true or not? All black preachers talk about the struggles of their congregations and in a predominantly black setting you're going to have people talking about how the "evil white man" is holding people down. That doesn't mean that anyone who goes to that church is a raging black panther waiting to kill your grandma and I don't see how you can't make the distintion.

Secondly, you cannot point to any one for his speeching since the beginning of his first campaign for the high office, that does refer to "Americans". He never mentions this race or that race, but he does speak to issues that all people are effected by reguardless of their ethinic background. Poverty and wealth inequality effect ALL TYPES of people, Immigration reform effects everyone, not just imagrants, but their employers, families, and nieghbors.

Lastly, what are you basing your asessment of his presidency on? The economy is tepid, but it is going in the right direction. Both wars will be over by the time Obama leaves office. We got healthcare reform, so you can't be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions and your children can stay on your policy until they are 26 years of age. The POTUS is looking to immigration reform, a balanced approach to reducing the defict, and better gun safety, if he doesn't achieve any of those things in the next four years, then we will be able to debate how effective he has been, but he largely achieved his goals in his first term and I expect more of the same in the second.

#40 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]It is a bold face lie, He won a wide specturm of votes from a wide backround of voters. He did not win the white male vote in either election, so I don't see the basis for this kind of statement. He never once said "All blacks vote for me or All hispanics vote for me" He has always said that no matter your color, religion, or sexual preference, whether you vote for him or not, we are all Americans and deserve to continue to do the things that makes this nation great.

Yusuke420

First of all why are people so desperate to connect Jeremiah Wright's beliefs to the POTUS? Is he not a free thinking individual that can decide for himself if what his pastor says is true or not? All black preachers talk about the struggles of their congregations and in a predominantly black setting you're going to have people talking about how the "evil white man" is holding people down. That doesn't mean that anyone who goes to that church is a raging black panther waiting to kill your grandma and I don't see how you can't make the distintion.

Secondly, you cannot point to any one for his speeching since the beginning of his first campaign for the high office, that does refer to "Americans". He never mentions this race or that race, but he does speak to issues that all people are effected by reguardless of their ethinic background. Poverty and wealth inequality effect ALL TYPES of people, Immigration reform effects everyone, not just imagrants, but their employers, families, and nieghbors.

Lastly, what are you basing your asessment of his presidency on? The economy is tepid, but it is going in the right direction. Both wars will be over by the time Obama leaves office. We got healthcare reform, so you can't be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions and your children can stay on your policy until they are 26 years of age. The POTUS is looking to immigration reform, a balanced approach to reducing the defict, and better gun safety, if he doesn't achieve any of those things in the next four years, then we will be able to debate how effective he has been, but he largely achieved his goals in his first term and I expect more of the same in the second.

Yes he is a thinking individual that thought that pastor was the person to follow....like it or not...that does say something about him.

#41 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

He just went to church there, it's not like his pastor was the only person he receieved infomation from. I'm not religious, but when I went to church, I wasn't automatically in agreement with everything that was said just because I was there.

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

He just went to church there, it's not like his pastor was the only person he receieved infomation from. I'm not religious, but when I went to church, I wasn't automatically in agreement with everything that was said just because I was there.

Yusuke420
Dude if I went to a church that spewed hate and racism....you can bet I'd find another church. Obama did not until he had to or lose the presidency....says something about the man whether you like it or not. Your hero has flaws. Deal with it....
#43 Posted by roulettethedog (11020 posts) -

Slowly the U.S.A. is paying back for its past sins.

#44 Posted by fireiyt (33 posts) -

Congrats.:D

#45 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

LJS9502_basic

Dude if I went to a church that spewed hate and racism....you can bet I'd find another church. Obama did not until he had to or lose the presidency....says something about the man whether you like it or not. Your hero has flaws. Deal with it....

No one said he doesn't have flaws or is my hero, good lord why is THIS president such a polorizing figure, when he comes off as one of the nicest people you could ever have a conversation with. At least Nixon had a reputation for being abrassive, but this is the guy everyone has beef with:lol:

#46 Posted by Chutebox (37864 posts) -

Yusuke420
I lol'd.
#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151873 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

No one said he doesn't have flaws or is my hero, good lord why is THIS president such a polorizing figure, when he comes off as one of the nicest people you could ever have a conversation with. At least Nixon had a reputation for being abrassive, but this is the guy everyone has beef with:lol:

I just corrected the misinformation you were spreading. Personally I don't think he's a good president. Then again in general the politicians suck anyway.
#48 Posted by sonicare (53550 posts) -

I'd be proud if our country had better foreign policy. Whether Bush, sr, Clinton, Bush, jr, or Obama, it hasn't been great. Too much emphasis on killing people as a solution to problems.

#49 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

I'd be proud if our country had better foreign policy. Whether Bush, sr, Clinton, Bush, jr, or Obama, it hasn't been great. Too much emphasis on killing people as a solution to problems.

sonicare

I agree, that being said I'd give so credit to all the other presidents before Obama for at least entertaining the middle east peace process and getting some movement between the Israel and Palistine.

#50 Posted by sonicare (53550 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Yusuke420

I agree, that being said I'd give so credit to all the other presidents before Obama for at least entertaining the middle east peace process and getting some movement between the Israel and Palistine.

Their policies have caused as much problems in the ME as good. Supporting a peace process while at the same time being in bed with oppressive arab regimes? Bad decisions. I understand that some of those relationships were of perceived necessity, but if we aspire to the virtues we promote, we should do better.