TMNT is beating out Guardians...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

and by a whopping 20 million no less. WTF is happening? I'm not even on the TMNT hate bandwagon. I have interest in the movie, I want to see it. I haven't seen it yet, and the reviews are bad and I have no doubt that it will be mediocre at best. I just happen to be able to appreciate mediocrity especially when it comes to movies. I did see Guardians however and it was fucking great and everyone I've heard talk about it agrees. So what is happening here?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I would think so. The new Turtles movie doesn't look half bad, for what it is. Guardians though... I don't get the hype. I thought it was a joke the first time I saw the trailer. Just looks so... stupid.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

I would think so. The new Turtles movie doesn't look half bad, for what it is. Guardians though... I don't get the hype. I thought it was a joke the first time I saw the trailer. Just looks so... stupid.

Guardian's is amazing. Tis an awesome and funny summer blockbuster with great characters.

As for TMNT, movie has looked like shit since the beginning, knew it was gonna be shit being a Michael Bay movie and having fucking Megan Fox as April, the reviews all say it is shit, and the fact this movie is doing so well just proves that the majority of peoples taste in movies is shit...

SkootlesMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 SkootlesMcGee
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Makes sense to me. I had no idea what Guardians was until I looked it up after the movie came out and even then I only know that "oh, its a comic book I guess".

I've known what TMNT is since I was a kid.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I am Groot!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

GOTG made 94M last weekend, this weekend they made 41M which is a healthy 44% retention. On the other hand Hideous Ninja Turtle made 65M. Some people just wanna be entertained.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I think part of the reason it did well--aside from being a new movie to take the kids to--is the nostalgia factor. I think the majority of people who went this weekend are those who grew up watching the original cartoon and the first set of movies that came out over 20 years ago. Based on this weekend's take, Paramount was quick to announce today the greenlight for the sequel for 2016. As to whether or not it'll be successful again, who knows...considering the critical drubbing it got, and from some of the people who I talked to has seen it, there's no interest for them to sit through another movie with them again.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Meh, I'm not going to see the TMNT movie in theaters. Guardians of the Galaxy was a phenomenal movie, though. I guess marketing can only do so much. The sequel will probably get better earnings.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Bikouchu35 said:

I am Groot!

Indeed people are idiots.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Who says TMNT is running more successfully than GOTG ? link TC ? I see in Wiki , TMNT is universally panned by critics whole GOTG is universally acclaimed by critics. I haven't seen TMNT , but GOTG is my fav super hero movie this year after Captain America Winter Soldier.

and ... I AM GROOT !

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

Guardians already made its $170 million budget back this weekend with gross box office sales netting $175 million, and forty-some million dollars is still pretty good, so everything else it'll be making in theaters and on home video is just gravy.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Shitty Ninja Turds have always been shitty since the 80s.

I didnt care for the Guardians at all, but i went and saw it last friday cuz.............. my girlfriend... and its was a fucking bloody good movie, really, i mean it was amazing. And usually hate super heroes and uber sci-fi movies.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Uh yeah, obviously. GotG came out last week. Rarely does a blockbuster hold the top spot two weeks in a row if another blockbuster is opening. That is how these blockbusters work. They make a lot on there opening weekend, then fall to the next week's blockbuster, but stay in the top 5-10 over the course of a few months and end up making a ton of money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I'll watch both when they come out in BR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

Well, TMNT is obviously an established brand. I don't see why this would be a bad idea...

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

TBH, everyone saying the new TMNT movie sucks should realize that the live action trilogy also sucked but because of nostalgia, everyone is saying they are great movies. They're not, lol.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@indzman said:

Who says TMNT is running more successfully than GOTG ? link TC ? I see in Wiki , TMNT is universally panned by critics whole GOTG is universally acclaimed by critics. I haven't seen TMNT , but GOTG is my fav super hero movie this year after Captain America Winter Soldier.

and ... I AM GROOT !

Well, I herd it from the news as I was walking out of the room. It looks like TMNT only beat it out in the US and Guardians is kicking ass internationally.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/10/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-dethrones-guardians-of-the-galaxy-at-the-box-office

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's all because of good marketing... and Megan Fox.

Avatar image for delete-easycomeeasygo
delete-EasyComeEasyGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By delete-EasyComeEasyGo
Member since 2011 • 382 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@the_bi99man said:

Guardian's is amazing. Tis an awesome and funny summer blockbuster with great characters.

As for TMNT, movie has looked like shit since the beginning, knew it was gonna be shit being a Michael Bay movie and having fucking Megan Fox as April, the reviews all say it is shit, and the fact this movie is doing so well just proves that the majority of peoples taste in movies is shit...

To be fair, they said the same thing to TF4, Man of Steel and now TMNT. I have yet to go see TMNT but I really, really, enjoy TF4 and Man of Steel which was the Superman movie we needed. Also just want to point out that TMNT started as a Comic Book back in the 80's but I started on the original Cartoon for those who grew up with the cartoon or Comic Book wanted to go see this movie and that's why it was the number one movie. MB didn't Direct this movie, he is only the producer so let's go easy on him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

TBH, everyone saying the new TMNT movie sucks should realize that the live action trilogy also sucked but because of nostalgia, everyone is saying they are great movies. They're not, lol.

Actually I rewatched the trilogy recently and while it's not a great film overall, it's still quite entertaining.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Well no it didn't. It's first weekend sales were less than GOTGs. It did more business this week because it's new and Guardians did so phenomenally already. Look for a drop off soon for TMNT...especially with their scores.

missannie88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 missannie88
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I need to see them both. and will tell everyone here who among TMNT and GOTG will have my vote..

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

people generally go with what they know. and more people know what tmnt is. when i first saw the gotg trailer i thought for a second it was a starfox movie.

in any case, did see gotg over the weekend and it was great, glad i took a chance on something i didn't know of beforehand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's almost as if TMNT is a more well known property than GoTG.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@the_bi99man said:

To be fair, they said the same thing to TF4, Man of Steel and now TMNT. I have yet to go see TMNT but I really, really, enjoy TF4 and Man of Steel which was the Superman movie we needed. Also just want to point out that TMNT started as a Comic Book back in the 80's but I started on the original Cartoon for those who grew up with the cartoon or Comic Book wanted to go see this movie and that's why it was the number one movie. MB didn't Direct this movie, he is only the producer so let's go easy on him.

Man of Steel was a solid movie.

I know the TMNT is an established brand which is one reason why this movie pisses me off. I would have LOVED to see a good TMNT movie, but this thing was doomed from the start with who was involved with it...

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Considering this was the 2nd weekend for Guardians and the 1st for Turtles this is of little surprise. Guardians is still on track to be the highest grossing movie, domestically, of the summer (with over $260 million). Ninja turtles won't come anywhere close to that. Not to mention Guardians had the largest August opening ever, the largest 10 day total of the year, the largest 2nd weekend total of the year, and the largest Single day Tues. and Wed. of the year. It's hardly doing poor, a 55% drop in a movie's second weekend is fantastic. Meanwhile turtles will likely drop somewhere close to 60% next weekend. That's only $26 million, almost half of what guardians took in it's second weekend. Still look for guardians to pick up yet another 17 million next weekend. As far as movies go, Guardians looks to be fairing far better than turtles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It's GOTG second Weekend and TMNT only beat it by 20 mil, not even coming close to the near 100 mill GOTG made it's first weekend.

Non story

BatladyMia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BatladyMia
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

I myself have no opinion on TMNT, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near the quality of Guardians of the Galaxy. It was stellar, and it really deserved another week as number one at the box office.

Oh well. Maybe I'll give TMNT a watch this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if GOTG regains #1 this weekend

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Not sure why these two are put in competition but GotG made more opening weekend. But who cares, I enjoyed TMNT but enjoyed GotG more times two. This TMNT and every other remake are mostly for current viewers and fans. I just learned that the Nickelodeon TMNT animated show is huge, maybe as huge or even more popular than the 80's cartoon now. It is what it is, I'm an 80's baby and will always be happy to see these remakes. I hope to see Thundercats and Voltron next.