Tips on which order to read LOTR books in

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So i am thinking about reading these books. Should i read the Silmarrilion first, or should i read the Hobbit first? I would just like some tips on this matter. Any advice would be great :)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Hobbit

Lord of the Rings

Anything else.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

**** the Silmarillion

Read the Hobbit first because it's of a much lighter tone than Lord of the Rings, and going from light to dark is a lot easier than dark to light

The Silmarillion is useless do not read it

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@thegerg said:

The Lord of the Rings is a single novel (3 volumes, 6 books total.) Start reading at the beginning, finish at the end. The other works you listed are not part of The Lord of the Rings.

Well i don't know what i should have called it otherwise, but you know what i mean

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I've been wondering that myself recently, but I don't think I'll get into it because I got reading material to take me through November and with Christmas coming after that I know my Mom will get some more books (Thanks Mom!) and I doubt the LOTR series is on her list. I did look up some advice on the internet on tips on to read it and someone said to watch the movies prior to reading so you can have an idea on where the story is going and you can put a face to the characters. Though it might ruin the suspense of the book for you since you know when major events are coming. On the other hand, it can make it an easier read since they are long books.

JyePhye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JyePhye
Member since 2004 • 6173 Posts

Keep the Silmarrilion in your bathroom for toilet time reading. ;)

In the rest of your free time, read Hobbit then LOTR.

Doneskies.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Hobbit first and Lord of the Rings second. I know you really want to skip straight to me, but trust me on this.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

You can start with the Hobbit as its events are first in chronological order and then go to LOTR. Besides it'll be a nice introduction before the masterpiece. Leave the Silmarillion for last, which while explains a lot about Middle Earth's lore and how its current state originated, has not the intriguing and immediate storyline of the others(naturally since it's a collection of naratives spanning thousands of years).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

Ok, so silmarillion isn't important?

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Well, I wouldn't say that it isn't important but it was published after Tolkien died so it wasn't really meant to be read before The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I'd definitely read The Hobbit first. The Silmarillion is long and very dry. You'll have a greater understanding of some of the back stories that are referenced in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but it's far from necessary and it might actually turn you off to reading the others.

The Silmarillion tells the tales of the creation of Middle Earth and the First and Second ages of the Sun, and touches on the events leading up to Lord of the Rings. it goes it to much more detail on the history of the elves and their wars with the first Dark Lord, Melkor, to whom Sauron was only a servant.

You might find it more interesting to read after the two more known works.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@bforrester420 said:

I'd definitely read The Hobbit first. The Silmarillion is long and very dry. You'll have a greater understanding of some of the back stories that are referenced in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but it's far from necessary and it might actually turn you off to reading the others.

The Silmarillion tells the tales of the creation of Middle Earth and the First and Second ages of the Sun, and touches on the events leading up to Lord of the Rings. it goes it to much more detail on the history of the elves and their wars with the first Dark Lord, Melkor, to whom Sauron was only a servant.

i don't think it would put me of it would help me understand some background of some characters

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

@bforrester420 said:

i don't think it would put me of it would help me understand some background of some characters

Most Lord of the Rings fans I have talked to said they did not like the Silmarillion that much. I would start with the Hobbit, work your way through LotR then if you are still desperate for more, check out the Silmarillion. The book does give some back ground info, but it is only really interesting in an informative way rather than a pleasurable reading experience way.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

@redstorm72 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@bforrester420 said:

Most Lord of the Rings fans I have talked to said they did not like the Silmarillion that much. I would start with the Hobbit, work your way through LotR then if you are still desperate for more, check out the Silmarillion. The book does give some back ground info, but it is only really interesting in an informative way rather than a pleasurable reading experience way.

oh ok. So you wouldn't say it is storytelling? It is just more of a lexicon?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Not to either of the other plots. Silmarillion is more like a history book. It can give you some insights, but it's hardly required reading.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I didn't enjoy the Lord of the Rings books, so unfortunately I can't be any help.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Instead of the Silmarillion read The Children of Hurin. The Hobbit -> The Lord of the Rings -> The Children of Hurin

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@Serraph105 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Not to either of the other plots. Silmarillion is more like a history book. It can give you some insights, but it's hardly required reading.

ok alright, i will take that into account then

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

While you're at it, get this book. Everything just falls into place.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

As others have said, Hobbit, then LOTR. Don't read the Silmarillion unless you have a very high tolerance for convoluted lore (albiet... more or less interesting). I like tolkien's world a lot but jesus that book is boring.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Yes

it makes you choose whether you want to be the kind of person who would read the Silmarillion

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Just watch the movies. Reading is boring and Tom Bombadil is a ****.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup said:

I've seen the extended versions and watched both Hobbit movies, i would still like to know more

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bforrester420

@The_Last_Ride said:

@bforrester420 said:

It's been ages upon ages since I've read The Silmarillion, but the only characters you'll encounter from LOTR and The Hobbit are Elrond, Sauron, and maybe Gandalf (I don't recall if he's in there).

It'll also touch on the house of Men who founded Gondor (Elendil), but again, the Silmarillion will only tell the tales of characters that are only referenced in LOTR.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

The Silmarillion is the history and creation of middle earth and has very little to do with The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Although it does provide interesting insight into references from the Lord of the Rings books, it is unnecessary to understand LOTR. It has some really great stories in it but it covers thousands and thousands of years. Only after you've read LOTR and the Hobbit several times should you consider diving into the Silmarillion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@ferrari2001 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The Silmarillion is the history and creation of middle earth and has very little to do with The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Although it does provide interesting insight into references from the Lord of the Rings books, it is unnecessary to understand LOTR. It has some really great stories in it but it covers thousands and thousands of years. Only after you've read LOTR and the Hobbit several times should you consider diving into the Silmarillion.

so i would only understand the context after i have read it sometimes?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

so i would only understand the context after i have read it sometimes?

Yes and No. The references are rare and mostly presented in songs or poems within the novel itself. There is absolutely no need to read the Silmarillion before you read LOTR. The book can be read and understand just as easily without having first read the Silmarillion. Even in the Tolkien class I took in college we didn't read the Silmarillion until the very end. You definitely should not read it first.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The Silmarillion provides insight as to how the main players in both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings ended up where they were.

@uninspiredcup said:

The movies are butchered counterparts of the books and should not be included in serious Tolkien lore.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#31 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Pick the middle book. Start with the last page and read to the first. The hobbit. Burn it. Inhale the fumes to receive Tolkien vision. The sham wow book, Lol. Oh God. Funny stuff if I knew what they were talking about

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Just read The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings in full, that's more than enough really. The books have a lot more to them unlike the movies, like the final parts of LOTR in regards of the books has a very different ending than the movies. Plus you get more background, detail and a stronger sense of the world created for the books when reading them instead of just watching the movies only.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bforrester420

@Smokescreened84 said:

Just read The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings in full, that's more than enough really. The books have a lot more to them unlike the movies, like the final parts of LOTR in regards of the books has a very different ending than the movies. Plus you get more background, detail and a stronger sense of the world created for the books when reading them instead of just watching the movies only.

This pretty much applies to any book translated to film in the history of cinema. Some are more faithful to the source material, of which LOTR did an excellent job, some are less.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@Smokescreened84 said:

This pretty much applies to any book translated to film in the history of cinema. Some are more faithful to the source material, of which LOTR did an excellent job, some are less.

Jackson did reasonably well with the LOTR movies and the current two Hobbit movies, although there is a lot missing from the movies that are in the books, the movies at least come pretty close to being faithful to the books. Best reading the books though if you want the full story for The Hobbit and LOTR.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

people who don't like the silmarilion can only read at grade 4 levels.

fact

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@BossPerson said:

people who don't like the silmarilion can only read at grade 4 levels.

fact

Can they use capital letters and full stops?

Shanarah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Shanarah
Member since 2003 • 1494 Posts

Like most of the others have said, I'd recommend that you read The Hobbit first, then The Lord of the Rings, and finally the Silmarillion. The books are definitely superior to the movies and Tolkien ties up loose ends nicely, unlike in the movie versions. You need to read the books to get the true ending. I haven't actually finished reading the Silmarillion, since it is very dry and reads more like a religious text, than a fantasy novel. However and I am glad that I've read what I have of it. There is a lot of interesting lore in it and some great characters, but it is not a good book to begin the series with.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Whatever you feel like doing.

I read LOTR after I watched the trilogy, then read the Silmarillion and other related pre-history stuff cause I like cosmogony stories, and have yet to read The Hobbit, and dont care to.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Silmarrilion is fine it's more or less about the history and creation of the world LOTR is set in.

If your new

Hobbit>LOTR then depending on how much you like the series The Silmarillion>The Children of Hurin