Tips for a first-time Black Friday employee?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Macklin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Macklin_
Member since 2014 • 57 Posts

Hey guys, I just started working at Gamestop as a seasonal, and I'm working tonight and tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? Things that'll make the whole ordeal easier, or that will impress my managers? When I went through the training I just skimmed through the part about the roles during Black Friday and the holiday season, so if anyone can give me a rundown on those, that would be amazing. Thanks in advance!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@macklin_ said:

Hey guys, I just started working at Gamestop as a seasonal, and I'm working tonight and tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? Things that'll make the whole ordeal easier, or that will impress my managers? When I went through the training I just skimmed through the part about the roles during Black Friday and the holiday season, so if anyone can give me a rundown on those, that would be amazing. Thanks in advance!

Yes, remember to bring your riot gear and shield and also make sure you have your custom gamestop tazer handy.

Otherwise just say a silent prayer to whom ever and wish for a peacefull civil time with not to many casualties and injuries.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Well to start you'll probably need a tranquilizer gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Jacanuk said:

@macklin_ said:

Yes, remember to bring your riot gear and shield and also make sure you have your custom gamestop tazer handy.

See if you can get the store to refund your expenses in that area.

Macklin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Macklin_
Member since 2014 • 57 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@macklin_ said:

Otherwise just say a silent prayer to whom ever and wish for a peacefull civil time with not to many casualties and injuries.

@Storm_Marine said:

Well to start you'll probably need a tranquilizer gun.

Got 'em all painted red and black to match the company colors and the blood of the sheep :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

Just so you know, you won't get any Breaks so be prepare to have 5 hour energy drinks, be nice to the customers, [remember, the customer is always right] know your games, know your consoles, and most importantly, don't be a JERK, treat others with respect as well you like to be treated. Good Luck.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Keep a knife on you?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Loading Video...

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Get as much sleep/rest as much as possible and eat good food before working.

Good luck :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If they gave you an employee guide, I suggest you go back and actually read the parts you skimmed through.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Do your job, then go home.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@BranKetra said:

If they gave you an employee guide, I suggest you go back and actually read the parts you skimmed through.

You think the employee handbook have anything about people going insane for a 10-15-20% discount just because its the day after thanksgiving.

But there has to be something serious wrong with people to act like this over a stupid sale.

Loading Video...

swavo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 swavo13
Member since 2012 • 197 Posts

RIP

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Jacanuk: If there is one and something specifically about Black Friday and Christmas, it likely instructs retail rules and store policy. That information is probably meant to address customer misconduct. Any employee guide would be incomplete without doing so to some degree outside of a utopia.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Watch the south park episode about it, it will tell you all you need to know

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#16 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@macklin_ said:

A real advice: People WILL be jerks, and you need to keep your cool. We're talking about the most spoiled people you've ever dealt with, they'll be willing to take a shit on your ancestor's graves if they dont get their 15% discount (even if its not your fault). Me and a friend worked at a shoestore in a black friday and I swear she was *this* close to punching some woman in the face because she would not stop calling her idiot for not being able to find a shoe her size.

So yeah, I hope you dont have anger management issues.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

You think the employee handbook have anything about people going insane for a 10-15-20% discount just because its the day after thanksgiving.

But there has to be something serious wrong with people to act like this over a stupid sale.

Loading Video...

After seeing that video, I just realized, I'm about to go with my parents for black Friday shopping. This is not going to be fun :(

Edit: Just came back from the mall. It wasn't actually too bad. My mom did most of the shopping while my dad and me walk around and talked and I got to eat some nice food so it was alright experience by my standards. :)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

Quit while you're alive.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Try to survive

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

After watching that video I would NEVER go to a Black Friday sale, not worth it. If I worked one, I'd ask for a massive bonus or I would quit.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@sailor232 said:

After watching that video I would NEVER go to a Black Friday sale, not worth it. If I worked one, I'd ask for a massive bonus or I would quit.

You would ask for a bonus after having a busy day at work, haha. Thats a conversation I would love to hear.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sailor232

@always_explicit said:

@sailor232 said:

You would ask for a bonus after having a busy day at work, haha. Thats a conversation I would love to hear.

Yeah I know that would never go down well, but Black Friday seems like a tad more than just "another busy week".

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@sailor232 said:

@always_explicit said:

@sailor232 said:

Yeah I know that would never go down well, but Black Friday seems like a tad more than just "another busy week".

Perhaps its vastly different in the US, Its getting bigger here in the UK but I cant say the video in this topic (for example) is representative of the average black friday experience here in England. Busy? yes. Riotesque? not that I have seen.

Then again supposedly English love to queue so perhaps it will never swing as far as the US.

It seems pretty stupid to for physical retailers to offer these deals for such a limited period of time, its asking for trouble trying to pack huge numbers of people into a confined space in a race to secure limited stock.

I get the logistics of offering these types of deal online, distribution networks are designed to cope with the bulk transfer of goods. Shops....not so much.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sailor232

@always_explicit said:

@sailor232 said:

@always_explicit said:

@sailor232 said:

Perhaps its vastly different in the US, Its getting bigger here in the UK but I cant say the video in this topic (for example) is representative of the average black friday experience here in England. Busy? yes. Riotesque? not that I have seen.

Then again supposedly English love to queue so perhaps it will never swing as far as the US.

It seems pretty stupid to for physical retailers to offer these deals for such a limited period of time, its asking for trouble trying to pack huge numbers of people into a confined space in a race to secure limited stock.

I get the logistics of offering these types of deal online, distribution networks are designed to cope with the bulk transfer of goods. Shops....not so much.

Yeah I fully agree, retailers are asking for trouble. I don't live in the USA so in my country there is nothing like this video shows, which is why I am shocked at what it depicts and why I said I'd be asking for a bonus or some form of incentive to work it.

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaX_Factor
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

Make sure you leave a Will telling your loved ones where you want your trampled body buried. Black Friday is like a battle so Arlington may be an option.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-598fc45371265
Loading Video...

:/

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

R.....U.....N

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@behardy24 said:

After seeing that video, I just realized, I'm about to go with my parents for black Friday shopping. This is not going to be fun :(

Edit: Just came back from the mall. It wasn't actually too bad. My mom did most of the shopping while my dad and me walk around and talked and I got to eat some nice food so it was alright experience by my standards. :)

Black Friday has actually improved significantly from years past. Walmart actually does it extremely well. Individual lines for the major deals, meaning 1st come first serve in those lines, employees hand out the items. The store is open ahead of time so no rush towards those lines. Deals spread out throughout the night so there isn't a huge single time rush. And tightly regulated lines for each register with employees guiding shoppers to checkouts. Most stores should take this approach. It really limits the chaos.