Thread of Fine Print--Make ye' Recommendations or despair.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -

read-books-that-you-enjoy.jpg

I'll be on a flight here soon, and since I'm too cheap to spend the $12 on Wifi, I decided I'm going to pick up a book. The problem, of course, is that I do not follow trends in the reading world and I was hoping someone in Off-Topic would kindly place a recommendation on some good books to pick up.

I enjoy sci-fi and history oriented books, and not too big on fantasy (although I made an exception for Game of Thrones) or romance crap. I don't mind a good read from political books either so long as they're not far-left, or far-right propoganda poo.

I'm looking at buying this or this maybe, has anyone picked these up?

Edit: The last book I read was this fantastic book.

#2 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

If you're into political books, why not try something like 1984 if you haven't already? I know it's kind of cliche, but it really is that good.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13395 posts) -

n13820.jpg

"Forward's book is a knockout. In science fiction there is only a handful of books that stretch the mind--and this is one of them!"
--ARTHUR C. CLARKE

"Bob Forward writes in the tradition of Hal Clement's Mission Gravity and carries it a giant step (how else?) forward."
--ISAAC ASIMOV

"Dragon's Egg is superb. I couldn't have written it; it required too much real physics."
--LARRY NIVEN

"This is one for the real science-fiction fan."
--FRANK HERBERT

"Robert L. Forward tells a good story and asks a profound question. If we run into a race of creatures who live a hundred years while we live an hour, what can they say to us or we to them?"
--FREEMAN J. DYSON
Author of Disturbing the Universe

"Forward has impeccable scientific credentials, and . . . big, original, speculative ideas."
--The Washington Post

#4 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -

If you're into political books, why not try something like 1984 if you haven't already? I know it's kind of cliche, but it really is that good.

jim_shorts
Ah, had to read that for a class years back. :[
#5 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Then how about something by Thomas Hardy? He's masterful. Jude the Obscure, Far from the Madding Crowd, and Mayor of Castorbridge are all very good.
#6 Posted by Storm_Marine (12071 posts) -

Read something sophisticated for a change.

#7 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

jim_shorts

Then how about something by Thomas Hardy? He's masterful. Jude the Obscure, Far from the Madding Crowd, and Mayor of Castorbridge are all very good.

I'll look into those. :]
#8 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -

Storm_Marine

You're not helping by continuing to post. :[

#9 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Be like all the hip people and pick up 'Fifty Shades of Grey'.

#10 Posted by Storm_Marine (12071 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Stevo_the_gamer

You're not helping by continuing to post. :[

what did I do wrong?

#11 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -

Be like all the hip people and pick up 'Fifty Shades of Grey'.

worlock77

gtfo128583969030606726.jpg

#12 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

In all seriousness though, if you're in the mood for some seriously classic dystopian fiction then pick up 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin.

('1984' would not exist if Orwell had never read this book.)

#13 Posted by CycleOfViolence (2813 posts) -

Two books I recently bought:

• An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson
  • Ghost Wars by Steve Coll