thoughts on new pope?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by lamprey263 (23091 posts) -

So I've been thinking back on the big headlines I've come across since the new pope, Pope Francis, began his papacy back in March...

Pope Says Church Is Obsessed With Gays, Abortion, and Birth Control

Pope Francis sent shock waves through the Roman Catholic church on Thursday with the publication of his remarks that the church had grown “obsessed” with abortion, gay marriage and contraception...

His surprising comments came in a lengthy interview in which he criticized the church for putting dogma before love, and for prioritizing moral doctrines over serving the poor and marginalized...

“A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,” he told Father Spadaro. “I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person.”

Pope Francis Denounces 'New Tyranny' Of Capitalism In His First Major Document Of Papacy

the pope set his sights on global poverty and inequality, denouncing the "new tyranny" of unfettered capitalism and calling on politicians across the world to guarantee their citizens "dignified work, education and healthcare."...

"How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?"

The pope, who has said he intends to shift the church's focus from the debate over contraception and gay marriage to that of global inequality and poverty -- and has made headlines with his defense of undocumented immigrants...

'Nervous' mafia could target Pope Francis, prosecutor warns

Pope Francis' campaign against corruption in the Catholic Church has made Italy's most dangerous mafia organization "nervous," which could make the prelate a target, a leading Italian prosecutor warned Thursday.

The pope's vow to clean up church finances and break unholy alliances between priests and local crime bosses threatens the money laundering and investment strategy of the 'Ndrangheta crime family that holds sway in the Calabria region, prosecutor Nicola Gratteri told the daily Il Fatto Quotidiano.

Well, I gotta say, I like the guy. He's stirring shit up in no time.

What do you guys think?

#2 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

Hell of a lot better than his predecessor, but I'm not about to convert to Catholicism any time soon. It's fun watching zealots freak out over him.

Though, can we stop calling him "New Pope" now? He assumed the papacy in March.

#3 Posted by megagene (22992 posts) -

Seems pretty chill and reasonable. Leagues better than that Palpatine guy before him.

#4 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

Love the guy, actually focusing on the positive teachings of loving and helping others in catholicism is unfortunately a breath of fresh air.

#5 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

Seems like a good dude

#6 Posted by lamprey263 (23091 posts) -

Hell of a lot better than his predecessor, but I'm not about to convert to Catholicism any time soon. It's fun watching zealots freak out over him.

Though, can we stop calling him "New Pope" now? He assumed the papacy in March.

I'm an atheist myself, though I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. I went to a high school run by Jesuits and I was surprised then how lax they were from all the dogmatic bullshit I'd experienced with the Church up until then, the brothers had a devotion to teaching and that's what they focused on, they didn't preach religion or let it get in the way about teaching about science or anything like that, and they didn't bother exposing us to religion the time I was there; except on certain holy days we'd have like a half day and go to church for like 50 minutes and then get let out early (actually liked that in going to a Catholic school).

Anyhow, my experience with the Jesuits were that they were more progressive, but I had no idea what to expect from this pope. He's surprising me more than I could have expected. That's why I bring it up, even as a non-practicing person I can appreciate the guy.

#7 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

He's still conservative but he's like your typically awesome grandfather who takes selfies with you.

He's a good Pope... I guess...

#8 Posted by Master_Live (14162 posts) -

The Chillax Pope.

#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9492 posts) -

Man of the Year

#10 Edited by lamprey263 (23091 posts) -

Man of the Year

I can back this, someone made a thread of Times's person of the year considerations and he was there; hope he gets it.

#11 Posted by lostrib (34270 posts) -

Somehow I doubt catholics are going to start accepting gay people

#12 Edited by Masculus (2830 posts) -

I actually liked the Pope Bento XVI, that said, the changes in motion at least in realm of discourse are positive.

I feel though that the discourse about poverty says more about the deterioration of the European and American lifestyle than the subject in itself (a problem worse worldwide). The Church should put it's focus elsewhere and give up on the dead end that is Europe (the same mistake as the previous pope). All the fighting with those new identity groups, the (sometimes radical) secularist movements is waste of everyone's time.

#13 Posted by lamprey263 (23091 posts) -
#14 Edited by ferrari2001 (16808 posts) -

I've liked all the recent Popes, Francis is no exception. It's good to see a servant Pope. Benedict was a theologian, Francis is certainly not. He's more of the peoples person. He gets his hands dirty with everyone else. That being said, he's certainly not a writer or a theologian like Benedict of JPII. If anyone read his recent document you'd know that he is quite terrible as a writer and at times almost impossible to understand. But we don't always need theologians, we need people who act on teachings not just teach them and Francis does so very well.

#15 Posted by AFBrat77 (24072 posts) -

He's a breath of fresh air

#16 Edited by AFBrat77 (24072 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Man of the Year

I can back this, someone made a thread of Times's person of the year considerations and he was there; hope he gets it.

agreed

#17 Edited by FelipeInside (25289 posts) -

Argentinean, of course he is cool just like me :)

#18 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3849 posts) -

i like him.

#19 Posted by deeliman (2386 posts) -

He seems like a pretty good guy, I'd be interested to see what he's going to do against world poverty though, or if he'll be able to do anything at all about it.

#20 Edited by themajormayor (25698 posts) -

He's a good Christian.

#21 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

He's the best thing that's happened to Catholicism in a while.

#22 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

#23 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

He is a panderer to liberals.

#24 Edited by Horgen (110055 posts) -

@megagene said:

Seems pretty chill and reasonable. Leagues better than that Palpatine guy before him.

My thoughts as well.

#25 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15034 posts) -

I've liked all the recent Popes, Francis is no exception. It's good to see a servant Pope. Benedict was a theologian, Francis is certainly not. He's more of the peoples person. He gets his hands dirty with everyone else. That being said, he's certainly not a writer or a theologian like Benedict of JPII. If anyone read his recent document you'd know that he is quite terrible as a writer and at times almost impossible to understand. But we don't always need theologians, we need people who act on teachings not just teach them and Francis does so very well.

I actually hope this Pope stresses the role of works in justification. Benedict tried to bring Catholics and Protestant views closer by using rather soft language, which was a huge turn off for me.

#26 Edited by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

He seems like a good guy, but he is still the head of a ridiculously patriarchal, conservative and most importantly, religious institution (nothing wrong with religion until it becomes institutionalized).

#27 Posted by TheFlush (5508 posts) -

He seems to be a huge step up from the previous pope (but that was not such a difficult task, since the previous pope was such an ass). He's a pretty nice guy I think. I still completely disagree with Catholicism (or religion for that matter), but at least he seems to be a little more in touch with the real world. Let's hope this is a trend with upcoming popes.

#28 Posted by Master_Live (14162 posts) -

lol, everyone getting their panties in a bunch for him. Rhetoric is nice, actions count.

#29 Posted by Aljosa23 (24716 posts) -

An accessory to the molestation of children until proven otherwise.

#30 Posted by whipassmt (13987 posts) -

#31 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

He is a panderer to liberals.

Just like any good Christian.

#32 Posted by whipassmt (13987 posts) -

Also the NY Times article is inaccurate. Pope Francis didn't say the Church was obsessed with abortion, gay marriage and contraception (although maybe the Times is) what he said is :

"We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

For those interested in that interview, the full text may be found here.

#33 Posted by whipassmt (13987 posts) -

@Masculus:

Are you Portuguese or from a Portuguese speaking country?

#34 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

He's a born stunna.

Prolly gets so much puss.

#35 Posted by whipassmt (13987 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

An accessory to the molestation of children until proven otherwise.

Guilty until proven innocent? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

So do you think Moira Queen should've been acquitted or convicted?

#36 Posted by Serraph105 (27811 posts) -

Also the NY Times article is inaccurate. Pope Francis didn't say the Church was obsessed with abortion, gay marriage and contraception (although maybe the Times is) what he said is :

"We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

It does sound like he is trying to get people to pivot away from those issues and focus more on getting people to accept/love others for who they are. Do you perhaps believe that to be the case?

#37 Posted by whipassmt (13987 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

It does sound like he is trying to get people to pivot away from those issues and focus more on getting people to accept/love others for who they are. Do you perhaps believe that to be the case?

No I don't think so.Remember that the Pope is speaking to a worldwide audience, not just an American one. In many countries Abortion and gay marriage are not major issues.

On the issue of homosexually, Pope Francis, like his predecessors has been careful to distinguish between individuals with homosexual tendencies that try to live a chaste life in keeping with Church teaching and those who rebel and see these tendencies as a source of "pride".

Also in his Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel), Francis says (paragraph 214) that "it is not 'progressive' to try to resolve problems by taking a human life".

#38 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

Wonder if he can legalize weed