Thoughts on Legend of Korra Season 2 thus far?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

Pros:

The humor is more up to par with The Last Airbender

Varrick is a great character

Mako and Bolin are starting to be fleshed out, they're starting to seem less generic.

Cons:

- The animation is being done by a different studio and while it looks nice, it doesn't have that "wow" factor the first season had. (Also Beifong doesn't look quite right.)

- The story is really all over the place. Not entirely a bad thing, but there's just a lot going on. Every episode entertains but the season has yet to gain momentum.

Now for the real reason I started this topic.

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-119-clip.html?xid=LOKFB

The above preview is for the next Korra episode. The animation is being done by Studio Mir (who did season 1). You can tell its way better. (The clip is pretty much spoiler free if you've saw last week's episode.)

#2 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

I like it, and the new animation is actually kinda gorgeous (particularly the spirits). I just wish Korra would stop being such a Mary Sue and grow up. Lin is also acting really stupid in this season, and there's no real reason why; she's been portrayed as an intelligent, rational person with a temper, not a psychotic bitch like she's been here.

I really like the Wan preview. I can't wait to see that episode.

#3 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28197 posts) -

I've only seen the first two episodes. The next one, I believe, was screened at comic-con to some pretty high praise.

#4 Edited by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

@Makhaidos:

Right on with Lin's character being different. The actual look of the spirits, and even how they move is determined by directors and artists in America -- they develop a sketch of the entire episode, record the voices, then send it overseas to be animated.

I'm by no means an expert but check out this clip around 3:30 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMeBEaFPnuE

You can see the look and movements established here, before the animation phase in development. Personally, I think the artistic direction is as strong as ever but final product has lacked the visual "oomph" of Season 1 ... it looks more choppy, less detailed; lighting isn't as good.

#5 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

@Makhaidos:

Right on with Lin's character being different. The actual look of the spirits, and even how they move is determined by the directors and artists America -- they develop a sketch of the entire episode, record the voices, then send it overseas to be animated.

I'm by no means an expert but check out this clip around 3:30 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMeBEaFPnuE

You can see the look and movements established here, before the animation phase in development. Personally, I think the artistic direction is as strong as ever but final product has lacked the visual "oomph" of Season 1 ... it looks more choppy, less detailed; lighting isn't as good.

Cool. I didn't know that.

I'm also pretty pissed that. . .Varric is an antagonist. He was my favorite character so far. . .

#6 Edited by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

@Makhaidos: ... I only knew about it because I watched a youtube video, and did some research on Wikipedia :P

Varick has had great scenes and dialogue in just about every episode. It doesn't make sense to turn him into a straightforward bad guy.

Hopefully it will be kind of like Zuko where he's self-serving and morally questionable, but not necessarily wicked.

#7 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Meinhard1 said:

@Makhaidos: ... I only knew about it because I watched a youtube video, and did some research on Wikipedia :P

Varick has had great scenes and dialogue in just about every episode. It doesn't make sense to turn him into a straightforward bad guy.

Hopefully it will be kind of like Zuko where he's self-serving and morally questionable, but not necessarily wicked.

I don't know. . .

In my mind, there's not much that's morally questionable about committing terrorism and starting a trans-global civil war for personal profit, but that's just me. :P

Hopefully you're right.

#8 Edited by lostrib (40000 posts) -

Korra is getting really frustrating

#9 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Korra is getting really frustrating

I hope this whole "amnesia" thing will improve her character.

#10 Edited by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

@Makhaidos: It does look really bad, I agree. For now I'm staying hopeful.

#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14077 posts) -

I'm liking it so far.

I wish there was a bit more wise words being said about the story of Korra. Aang met a lot of interesting people that were philosophical... Korra, not so much. It's hard to like her, she's very angsty.

#12 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Korra was fucking annoying as hell. Mako was being the perfect boyfriend and she was shitting all over him every time they talked. I'm glad she lost her memory. I'm guessing she's going to go on a spiritual journey type thing like Aang did. Hopefully she'll stop being a bitch all the time.

Also Varrick is pretty boss, I'm sad he turned out to be a bad guy. I hope he will continue to supply the great jokes even if he's a bad guy. And Bolin has been kind of annoying all season. He was slightly funny in season one but still not great, I hope he starts improving.

Oh and the Asami is pretty damn stupid. I mean I get the show is for kids but her decisions have just been moronic.

#13 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Thought it was decent until the 5th episode, now I think it's pretty good. Characters:

Korra: I'm not impressed with her development through the first 5 episodes and not seeing her for most of episode 5 was welcomed which is weird because the story is about her. It's like she regressed from the end of last season and the amnesia angle from the last episode is so cliche but I can live with that.

Mako: Hated this guy last season but liking his approach and development so far. Currently it seems like he's the only one that's looking at all of this with a clear mind unlike Korra and a few others.

Asami: It's sad seeing Varrick play this poor girl like a flute lol. I like her, but for some reason I want her to just "snap" because she's lost everything from her mother, father (jail), her company and her boyfriend and she still remains somewhat happy and cheerful. Kissing Mako in this past episode made me cringe a bit since I hated the love triangle last season and I don't want that to return here.

Varrick: This guy's awesome, he's like a mixture of Joker and Lex Luthor. His funny personality, business savvy and his willingness to use others for his own personal gain could make him a great villian for this series if developed right, the potential is definitely there. Haven't seen anything like him in the Avatar universe.

Bolin: I don't know what to think.

Tenzin & Family: I'd like to know more about Tenzin's brother and sister which was fleshed out a little. The argument between the three of them by the waterfall was great.

Unalak: Cold, calculated and a backstabber, I like it. His son and daughter remind me of android 17 & 18 lol.

That's all for now.

#14 Posted by Basinboy (11326 posts) -

Is there anywhere to stream this online? Schedule currently doesn't allow for me to tune-in regularly when it airs.

#15 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

Is there anywhere to stream this online? Schedule currently doesn't allow for me to tune-in regularly when it airs.

Nick.com.

#16 Edited by ferrari2001 (17154 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

Yea nick.com basically gives you access to all the currently aired episodes. That's where I've been watching it. For the episodes I've seen the season has been decent. I can't say I'm as enthusiastic as I was for season 1 though. I'm hoping as the season goes on it will being to pick up speed a little.

#17 Posted by thegerg (15739 posts) -

I don't like it. I've never seen it.

#18 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Latest episode was pretty good. I'm getting a vibe similar to Princess Mononoke from this story.

#19 Edited by Big_Pecks (5498 posts) -

I've only watched up to Civil Wars Part 2.

Meh. It could be better but I'm not shutting it down. I wish the spirits plot was more involved though. The characters have gotten better. Mako is a bit more likable, while Korra started this book off horribly but now she's good. Varrick and Ju Li are great additions.

#20 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6839 posts) -

@cain006 said:

Latest episode was pretty good. I'm getting a vibe similar to Princess Mononoke from this story.

Yep, I got that vibe too.

This season has been kinda slow so far, although I'm sure after the last episode things will definitely speed up.

#21 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

Okay, I loved the last episode. We should just ditch Korra and make the series Legend of Wan.

I love the whole "Stealing fire from the gods spirits" angle. And it was kickass seeing the same VAs for Roku, Kyoshi and what's-his-name-waterbender-before-Korra return.

#22 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

It's great to finally see some great animation. I'm not just talking about the watercolor style, but the animation itself. The past 2 episodes were done by Studio Mir, responsible for Korra season 1.

(The drop in animation quality from season 1 has been pretty drastic otherwise, with a different studio at the helm. Just look up some gifs from season 1 and tell me anything before the past few episodes has looked that good.)

#23 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

Seriously, though, Friday's 2 part episode was all around amazing. As an avatar fan the whole thing just made me incredibly happy. I've been geeking out about it in my head all weekend.

#24 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

I've only seen the first two episodes,so far it's alright but I wish they would leave out the romance.

#25 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

It was definitely great to see the lion turtles that they never went into depth about in the original series. It's also nice to have a solid history now. I really hope that Korra's character changes for the better now, part of the reasons I liked the last couple episodes was because she was barely in them.