Thoughts on Derrick Rose's playoffs absence?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XVision84 (13639 posts) -

He's been getting a lot of flak from the community for taking a lot of time off the court, and yeah I know a lot of players have had ACL tears and returned long before Rose, but honestly he should take as much time as he needs. Rose is the best thing to happen to Chicago ever since Michael Jordan and they don't want to risk anything by bringing him back until he's 100% ready. 

#2 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

He should take his talents to south beach

#3 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -
He's being dumb
#4 Posted by XVision84 (13639 posts) -

He should take his talents to south beach

heeweesRus

No...just....no.

#5 Posted by XVision84 (13639 posts) -

He's being dumbJML897

How?

He's not ready to come back, that's all there is to it. Although I think he'll be back in time for playoffs finals if the bulls make it through.

#6 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]He's being dumbXVision84

How?

He's not ready to come back, that's all there is to it.

He's not following his doctor's orders. He's supposed to be playing to complete his rehab

#7 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -
They apparently didn't need him for that stomping they gave the Heat the other day. That was fun to watch.
#8 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6551 posts) -

at first i thought sorta like you tc, but after seeing noah play through injury i gotta say it's pretty lame... i think if they somehow get past the heat he should def comeback and that would make the conference finals and NBA finals very interesting. 

#9 Posted by theone86 (20555 posts) -

I don't think the team ever expected to be in the position they're in now.  I think that at the beginning of the season they expected to be uncompetitive, which is part of why they made value pick-ups.  They have Boozer's contract expiring, they have Rose coming back, I think to land a big free agent after this season and compete in 2014 was always the plan.  The reason they made it so far is because of some nice surprises like Nate Robinson.  They want to play it as safe as possible with Rose because the whole season is a nice surprise and they don't want to risk him for the shot at one successful season.  Also, he's a cutter so his legs take a ton of abuse due to his play style.  But either way, I think it's the coaching staff holding him back, not him refusing to play.

#10 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -

At first I thought he should sit until next year until I saw that dunk by Shump 

shumpsmash_original.gif?1367970373

#11 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

He should stop being a wuss, and play

#12 Posted by -Fromage- (10528 posts) -
When was the last time he played a game?
#13 Posted by tocool340 (20518 posts) -

Do whatever he likes. He don't want to suit up for his team even though he's the healthiest inactive guy on the bench, so be it. All I'm gonna say is my expectations will be EXTREMELY high for him next season if he doesn't come back in the playoffs. I will accept nothing but a championship next season....

#14 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

Do whatever he likes. He don't want to suit up for his team even though he's the healthiest inactive guy on the bench, so be it. All I'm gonna say is my expectations will be EXTREMELY high for him next season if he doesn't come back in the playoffs. I will accept nothing but a championship next season....

tocool340
Prepare for disappointment,Heat will win their 3rd straight next year.
#15 Posted by XVision84 (13639 posts) -

Whelp, Bulls got mandhandled by the Heat, Bulls lost 115-78.

Yeah....we need Rose back.

#16 Posted by Aljosa23 (24976 posts) -

LOL the Bulls.

#17 Posted by AussieePet (11424 posts) -
He should stop being a Pu$$y and play
#18 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

Whelp, Bulls got mandhandled by the Heat, Bulls lost 115-78.

Yeah....we need Rose back.

XVision84

that's really embarrassing

#19 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

Compromise his future career for a long-shot at a title this year?

Everyone's getting swept up in the speed it took AP's ACL to be replaced and healed up, they are forgetting it takes time to recover. After recovery you need to continue to rehab. During that process the person needs to learn to trust their knee. If you had a serious injury you would understand what goes through the minds of those that have recovered from injury, they don't want to make the same mistake again, and they aren't sure if they can trust their body. If it failed them once, what's to say it doesn't fail him again? Especially since it's the playoffs, he's going to have added pressure/intensity on the court, people are going to expect an MVP performance, and he's playing the NBA title favorites. Psychologically he needs to be ready, and if he isn't, he's going to not only let himself down, his team and city will be disappointed (even if they don't admit it). Rose cant win if he plays.

Yes the doctors cleared him to play/practice, but he needs to become comfortable again, something that often takes more than drugs and physical rehab.

#20 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -

tocool340
Yall need to make a move,like Boozer for Aldridge to take the scoring load off Rose
#21 Posted by kingdre (9456 posts) -

I think it's mostly psychological for him at this point. I've worked with a lot of ACL patients and none of them ever took this long to play again.

#22 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

Everyone's getting swept up in the speed it took AP's ACL to be replaced and healed up, they are forgetting it takes time to recover. After recovery you need to continue to rehab. During that process the person needs to learn to trust their knee. If you had a serious injury you would understand what goes through the minds of those that have recovered from injury, they don't want to make the same mistake again, and they aren't sure if they can trust their body. If it failed them once, what's to say it doesn't fail him again? Especially since it's the playoffs, he's going to have added pressure/intensity on the court, people are going to expect an MVP performance, and he's playing the NBA title favorites. Psychologically he needs to be ready, and if he isn't, he's going to not only let himself down, his team and city will be disappointed (even if they don't admit it). Rose cant win if he plays.

Yes the doctors cleared him to play/practice, but he needs to become comfortable again, something that often takes more than drugs and physical rehab.

Zlurodirom

Perhaps while he's recovering he'll grow some balls

#23 Posted by XVision84 (13639 posts) -

Zlurodirom

Pretty much my thoughts too. It's probably best to sit off this season.

It's a real shame though, if rose would have played this season he would have improved as a player and maybe even gotten a ring at a really young age. 

#24 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

lostrib

I don't get the tough guy mentality in sports, it's quite anti-performance. Have you ever suffered a serious injury, or season-ending injury? It is very hard to deal with, it's also frustrating when you get back and finally get to start working out, and you're NOWHERE near where you were before you were hurt? Then you have an extra worry in the back of your head (in this case Rose is worried about his ACL) ALL the time, not sure if you can trust it, or how much you can trust it.

#25 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

Pretty much my thoughts too. It's probably best to sit off this season.

It's a real shame though, if rose would have played this season he would have improved as a player and maybe even gotten a ring at a really young age. 

XVision84

I think seeing RGIII go down helped his decision a little bit. RGIII was cleared to play, and he still reinjured himself. It has to be a tough decision, but I'm actually glad he's sitting out and not caving from the pressure and playing, hopefully it sets a precident.

#26 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

I think seeing RGIII go down helped his decision a little bit. RGIII was cleared to play, and he still reinjured himselfZlurodirom

wtf

How can you possibly compare Derrick Rose's situation with what happened to RG3? Deep down I'm sure you know that's just a terrible comparison and you're grasping for straws.

#27 Posted by tocool340 (20518 posts) -

Zlurodirom

I say if he's healthy enough to do all the fundamental things as a bonafide NBA player, he should of been out there playing. Let actual on court experience help him get his confidence and edge back. That is part of his rehab rather he likes it or not. He's not jeopardizing anything if his knee has fully recovered. All those dunks and jumpers he's doing pre game does not help put 2 points on the board for the Bulls unlike when Shumpert, who had the same injury as Rose, has done for his team:

shumpsmash_original.gif?1367970373

role player or not, he hasn't reinjure his knee and has been contributing something for his team since the time he has been cleared to return. Rose is a leader, its his duty to help his team in someway when he's able to. Playing a limited role off the bench isn't gonna kill him...

#28 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]I think seeing RGIII go down helped his decision a little bit. RGIII was cleared to play, and he still reinjured himselfJML897

wtf

How can you possibly compare Derrick Rose's situation with what happened to RG3? Deep down I'm sure you know that's just a terrible comparison and you're grasping for straws.

RGIII cleared to play, got injured. I don't see how this is poor, care to elaborate?

Yes Rose is recovering from surgery, and RGIII just sat out for a short time. The point is that it is percieved that RGIII came back too soon and exacerbated his injurey, possibly derailing his career (which seems less likely now, thankfully). I think Rose is going to take that as a reminder to make sure he is capable of playing full speed, and without worries of an injury.

#29 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

I say if he's healthy enough to do all the fundamental things as a bonafide NBA player, he should of been out there playing. Let actual on court experience help him get his confidence and edge back. That is part of his rehab rather he likes it or not. He's not jeopardizing anything if his knee has fully recovered. All those dunks and jumpers he's doing pre game does not help put 2 points on the board for the Bulls unlike when Shumpert, who had the same injury as Rose, has done for his team:

role player or not, he hasn't reinjure his knee and has been contributing something for his team since the time he has been cleared to return. Rose is a leader, its his duty to help his team in someway when he's able to. Playing a limited role off the bench isn't gonna kill him...

tocool340

Admittedly I don't know much about his situation, I was aware he was able to practice and drunk, but I don't know the extent of his recovery, only that he was cleared (in march?) by the team doctors? Like I said earlier, I think part of it is going to be expectations, the team/spectators are going to expect him to come out and have a large impact, but is he in shape to do that? This increased pressure can cause him to overreach and could potentially lead to re-injury, something he wants to avoid. The Bulls have probably 3-4 games left in the season, then he has all summer to recover, I think he's thinking of the chances of injury now, versus another couple months to get in shape and prepare for a new season.

I doubt he'd be in a limited role, I'm sure if he was out there, he'd want to play more, the coach and teammates would want him to play more too, and may put him in for to many minutes? This is just speculation obviously, but I don't see why people are thinking he'd only play a reserve role when he's a former MVP...

#30 Posted by tocool340 (20518 posts) -

[QUOTE="tocool340"]

Zlurodirom

Admittedly I don't know much about his situation, I was aware he was able to practice and drunk, but I don't know the extent of his recovery, only that he was cleared (in march?) by the team doctors? Like I said earlier, I think part of it is going to be expectations, the team/spectators are going to expect him to come out and have a large impact, but is he in shape to do that? This increased pressure can cause him to overreach and could potentially lead to re-injury, something he wants to avoid. The Bulls have probably 3-4 games left in the season, then he has all summer to recover, I think he's thinking of the chances of injury now, versus another couple months to get in shape and prepare for a new season.

I doubt he'd be in a limited role, I'm sure if he was out there, he'd want to play more, the coach and teammates would want him to play more too, and may put him in for to many minutes? This is just speculation obviously, but I don't see why people are thinking he'd only play a reserve role when he's a former MVP...

He was cleared by his surgeon, stating that he's unlikely to reinjure that knee than he previously could. What people don't seem to understand is that he's just as likely to renjure himself playing around in practice, scrimmaging, or waking up in the middle of the night to take a piss. So that shouldn't be any excuse to stay off the court. Many people I know, radio/TV analyst, blog makers, etc. only want Rose to come back to finish his rehab. They know rust will no doubt be involved. Only a small uninformed faction believe Rose will come out of the gates and start dominating. And even if that weren't the case, a simple press conference explaining to his fans about his condition and what they should expect from him as he continue his rehab would help inform those people.... He doesn't have to play a reserve. He can still be a starter, just play limited minutes as he done in the past. Either way, he'd still be getting back into the flow of the game and contributing something to his team....
#31 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -

Spectating sports is a waste of time. It is like congregating without being social.

#32 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14004 posts) -

He's been watching Live Free or Die hard multiple times a day for the last few weeks..

LOL.. I don't even know what to make of that. I guess its supposed to help motivate him.. or something..

#33 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Zlurodirom

I don't get the tough guy mentality in sports, it's quite anti-performance. Have you ever suffered a serious injury, or season-ending injury? It is very hard to deal with, it's also frustrating when you get back and finally get to start working out, and you're NOWHERE near where you were before you were hurt? Then you have an extra worry in the back of your head (in this case Rose is worried about his ACL) ALL the time, not sure if you can trust it, or how much you can trust it.

Sounds like you're an apologist for wussies

#34 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Yes, because posting on a forum makes you sooooo tough...
#35 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

heeweesRus

Yes, because posting on a forum makes you sooooo tough...

Has nothing to do with the matter at hand

#36 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -
No point With Heinrich and Deng out Having Rose back won't get them past Miami Especially since he hasn't played in a game all year
#37 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

To me, Derrick Rose is kind of a wuss. If he's not ready to play he just needs to say so, instead of doing all this "well, I might come back during the playoffs" crap. Of course he shouldn't play until he's ready, but he should know by now whether he wants to return or not. Doctors cleared him, and he's not playing..head case.

I don't understand why the Bulls want him back anyway, he would help his team none if he did, because the entire chemistry of the team would likely be tanked having to suddenly run their offense through him for the first time in 90 games or whatever...

#38 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
Good for the bulls. Rose is just a volume shooter (re:Carmelo) that will just take away shots from Robinson and others.
#39 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

Spectating sports is a waste of time. It is like congregating without being social.

lo_Pine

Guy with 4400 posts on a video game forum, tell me more about what things are wastes of time

#40 Posted by Diablo-B (4039 posts) -
If he is unhealthy then he shouldn't play, plane and simple. The problem is he was cleared to play almost 3 months ago and he has been practicing full scrimmage in that 3 months. If your knee is healthy and you've been able to practice no problem for 3 months then why arent you helping your team? The only time a player should not play is if they aren't healthy. You never risk long term injury. But thats not the case cause if it was he wouldnt be practicing with the team and they wouldn't have publicly cleared him.
#41 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -

He's been watching Live Free or Die hard multiple times a day for the last few weeks..

LOL.. I don't even know what to make of that. I guess its supposed to help motivate him.. or something..

VendettaRed07
rofl. Only reason to watch that is Mary E. Winstead. Don't let Mieka know, Derrick.
#42 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

I asked in my original post, let me ask again. Have you ever suffered a serious injury? I have never had a season ending injury, but I have had plenty of injuries that ruined my season, I learned trying to push through injuries is much worse than resting and recovering. Plus like I've said, there's the psychological effect of a serious injury.

#43 Posted by Zlurodirom (733 posts) -

He was cleared by his surgeon, stating that he's unlikely to reinjure that knee than he previously could. What people don't seem to understand is that he's just as likely to renjure himself playing around in practice, scrimmaging, or waking up in the middle of the night to take a piss. So that shouldn't be any excuse to stay off the court. Many people I know, radio/TV analyst, blog makers, etc. only want Rose to come back to finish his rehab. They know rust will no doubt be involved. Only a small uninformed faction believe Rose will come out of the gates and start dominating. And even if that weren't the case, a simple press conference explaining to his fans about his condition and what they should expect from him as he continue his rehab would help inform those people.... He doesn't have to play a reserve. He can still be a starter, just play limited minutes as he done in the past. Either way, he'd still be getting back into the flow of the game and contributing something to his team....tocool340

I would actually argue the opposite, he's more likely to injure himself in a game than practice. Game intensity is higher than practice, increasing the intensity will likely result in different muscle activation, which pulls on the ligament differently, which can cause more stress than in practice (I can go into more detail if you want to know more). There's no way to artificially create a game atmosphere in practice, so he will not know until he plays.

Like I said I don't know much about the situation, and unfortunately a lot of my knoweldge of the situation comes from ESPN, so I'll trust that you are speaking correctly about expectations.

#44 Posted by mems_1224 (47147 posts) -
Its his career. He should be the one to make the call when he returns. He's coming back from a serious injury. Many players have screwed up their careers by coming back from an injury too soon.
#45 Posted by Master_Live (14647 posts) -
It's in God hands.
#46 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

As a Heat fan, even I would rather see him play.  I hope he comes out for game 3.  The entire situation is skewed.  If the Heat lose a game it's like "Wow they lost to the injuried Bulls?!" , if they win "Haha, they should of won."  Add that with the fact that there are stretches where the Bulls offense is just a pain to watch.  Their team is greatly coached though and they have great players that just battle.

Anyway, regarding Rose.  At this point, he'll get criticized for coming back now and will for not coming back...His decision, but it won't have much of an impact at this point.

#47 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5308 posts) -
He doesn't have the heart of a champion. Kobe would be playing by now.
#48 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14004 posts) -

Good for the bulls. Rose is just a volume shooter (re:Carmelo) that will just take away shots from Robinson and others. DroidPhysX

LOL.. You could put Spreewell, Tracy Mcgrady and JR Smith on the same team with Nate and he would still find a way to take more shots than he even should.