Thor The Dark World, thoughts? no spoilers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Serraph105 (27221 posts) -

So I just got back from seeing Thor The Dark World, and I must say I totally loved it. I continue to maintain that Thor is not the best character (although perhaps second best) of the Avengers, that honor goes to Tony Stark, but his movies have been the best best off the bunch (excluding The Avengers). Loki practically stole the show this time around which is something I wish I could say about him when he was the main villain in The Avengers. He seemed to be loving every second of the time he was on film, and like a real brother to Thor.

Asgard still looks awesome, Thor's mother and father had excellent performances, Jane did well, same goes for Kat Dennings, and the humor was good. They even had a moment where the audience wasn't clued in on what was going on upping the drama, which is something most of these movies haven't done particularly at.

I will say that most of Thor's crew didn't have a whole lot of screen time which is too bad (I still only know the bearded guy as "Tall Gimili").

Anyways has anyone else seen this movie yet? What did you think?

#2 Edited by SaintLeonidas (25293 posts) -

I liked it a lot. I also liked the first as well. Kind of hard to film these characters and the history surrounding them without coming off as a bit silly; but they embrace the "silliness" and the result is quite fun. Lots of laughs to be had and the action is pretty clever ("black hole" grenades, fighting through portals towards the end, etc.). The only issue I have with it is that overall the story has no weight, you know how it is going to all play out, and the implications of the reveal towards the end with Loki really won't have any effect on this universe until probably a third film, which will not be until after the next Avengers.

#3 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

Movie was better than I was anticipating. The villain kinda sucked, but the movie was entertaining in spite of that.

Loki DEFINITELY stole the show though. They definitely chose the perfect actor for the role.

I am still trying to debate whether or not all the humor is helping or hindering these movies. Kinda makes the storyline hard to take seriously with all the comedy. Same thing was going on with The Avengers. Never do you feel any weight to the story or any situation being dire when everything is laughed off and you never doubt the good guys will prevail.

#4 Edited by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I haven't seen it and I'm so sick of Marvel characters at this point that I don't plan to.

#5 Edited by Serraph105 (27221 posts) -

Movie was better than I was anticipating. The villain kinda sucked, but the movie was entertaining in spite of that.

Loki DEFINITELY stole the show though. They definitely chose the perfect actor for the role.

I am still trying to debate whether or not all the humor is helping or hindering these movies. Kinda makes the storyline hard to take seriously with all the comedy. Same thing was going on with The Avengers. Never do you feel any weight to the story or any situation being dire when everything is laughed off and you never doubt the good guys will prevail.

I agree that they need to get us a bit more worried for the safety of our heroes, but as St. Leonidas said the source material is a concept that would be incredibly hard to take seriously if it was taking itself too seriously. I do think a bit of script reworking that would take out a few jokes and upping the fear in our hero's eyes/dialogue could fix this issue. Particularly that scene with Loki's "Tada" joke. Maybe take that joke, give Loki a slightly more insane expression, and a bit of different dialogue from Thor (perhaps he could have been scared for Jane's safety) and we might have a scene with a lot more tension rather than killing it instantly.

#6 Posted by solidruss (23591 posts) -

I saw it last night and I was very entertained. Tons campy lines, lots of action and it all flowed very well. Far better than I ever thought it would be. I agree 100% That Tom Hiddleston absolutely stole the show almost every time he was on screen. I know it won't happen but he should get his own movie. Great stuff!

#7 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1069 posts) -

i also seen it last night and i loved it. I went in with low expectation because i read so many negative reviews. idk what they were smoking because that was a great super hero movie. in my opinion I think the two thor movies beat out the iron man trilogy.

#8 Edited by DJChuy (1813 posts) -

I loved it. I liked the first Thor, but imo, it was the weakest out of the four Origin movies. But this movie rocked!! Great action, humor and visually stunning. Asgard was breath-taking as well as that one particular scene; definitely one of the best looking movies in its genre.

And I have to agree that Loki stole the show. Marvel has struck gold twice with its actors: RDJ and now Tom Hiddleston.

#9 Posted by binpink (9092 posts) -

I was afraid it was going to be a bad movie, so I was very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be really good. I cannot wait to see it again. We stayed for the scene after the initial credits but we didn't stay longer than that so I'm hoping we didn't miss anything.

#10 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28617 posts) -

Didn't get around to seeing it this weekend, definitely want to see it next weekend though. First movie was fun.

#11 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

@binpink said:

I was afraid it was going to be a bad movie, so I was very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be really good. I cannot wait to see it again. We stayed for the scene after the initial credits but we didn't stay longer than that so I'm hoping we didn't miss anything.

There are two after credits scenes, so you missed one. Thankfully you saw the "important" one, but the second one is pretty funny!

#12 Posted by binpink (9092 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: Oh darn it, I knew it! The first one was... interesting..? I don't know. Now I have to find the second scene somehow!

#13 Edited by helwa1988 (1947 posts) -

Much better than Iron man 3 and Chris Hensworth is in it. Movie was perfect.

#14 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

@binpink said:

@LostProphetFLCL: Oh darn it, I knew it! The first one was... interesting..? I don't know. Now I have to find the second scene somehow!

Without spoiling things, the first scene introduces an important character and works on setting up the 3rd Avengers movie villain. They keep doing all this stuff to set up the 3rd movie instead of doing anything to set up Ultron for the Avengers 2 movie....

#15 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25293 posts) -

@binpink said:

Without spoiling things, the first scene introduces an important character and works on setting up the 3rd Avengers movie villain. They keep doing all this stuff to set up the 3rd movie instead of doing anything to set up Ultron for the Avengers 2 movie....

Pretty sure they were setting up 'Guardians of the Galaxy' more than anything else.

#16 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@binpink said:

Pretty sure they were setting up 'Guardians of the Galaxy' more than anything else.

When I read the wiki on the character they introduced, it specifically mentions him playing a role in Thanos rising due to what transpired in the scene they showed. (if you understand what I am getting at whilst trying to avoid those spoilers)

#17 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25293 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@binpink said:

When I read the wiki on the character they introduced, it specifically mentions him playing a role in Thanos rising due to what transpired in the scene they showed. (if you understand what I am getting at whilst trying to avoid those spoilers)

Yeah, but his character is said to play a major role in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'; and there is the fact that the teaser was directed by James Gunn, who is directing 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

#18 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (16705 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@binpink said:

Yeah, but his character is said to play a major role in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'; and there is the fact that the teaser was directed by James Gunn, who is directing 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

Well I guess it works for both I suppose. What they showed has a direct impact on setting up Thanos for The Avengers 3 though.

#19 Posted by BranKetra (46514 posts) -

I saw this movie tonight in 3D. It was really good. Marvel is doing well with Phase 2. Without spoiling anything, I am interested in seeing what is next for Marvel Phase 2. My guess is Ultron will be the Avengers 2 main villain and Thanos will be in Avengers 3.

#20 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4833 posts) -

Mostly, my thoughts were that it was crap.

The plot annoyed me, needless epic daftness. We just want to see the superhero beat things up and be the hero, throw in some one liners and funny scenes, more then welcome, give us a little lore but the plot doesn't need to try and be so.... epic... as in end of universe. Plus the guy wasn't so powerful despite all that power he has apparently tapped into... Taken out just like any other henchman Thor would of encountered along the way.

#22 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Really enjoyed this. Kept me entertained throughout the movie. The mid credits scene made me go "Oh Shit!!!"

#23 Posted by redstorm72 (4490 posts) -

I liked it. There was good action, some legitimately funny moments, and a decent overall plot. That being said, I felt the main villain was weak, and there were a few very convenient plot developments (*minor spoiler* I'm looking at you "random portal that Jane falls into and leads to super important plot element"). Overall, I place Thor 2 in the tier 2 level of Marvel films with Captain America, Iron Man 3 and the like, meaning, their great popcorn flicks and I enjoy them, but they didn't rock my world (Tier 1 being X-Men 2, Avengers, etc).

#24 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10801 posts) -

Not really into superhero movies much but I really enjoyed it. Lots of funny moments and it was never boring!

#25 Posted by th3warr1or (20636 posts) -

I thought it was enjoyable, but as a huge fan of the comics, I hated the portrayal of a lot of things in the movie.

1) Dark Elf laser guns. What the heck?

2) The Dark Elves "origins." No, they're not an ancient race that precedes the Asgardians. Not in the myths, not in the comics.

3) SPOILER Odin couldn't revive Frigga. Absolutely ridiculous, within the comicbook universe.

4) The Asgardians can't fight for nuts, and get taken down easier than stormtroopers.