This Week's Box Office Results: Too Damn Close To Call Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16883 Posts

Hope you all had a decent weekend so far. The following is courtesy of Box Office Mojo.com:

1 Cowboys & Aliens- $36,200,000 $36,200,000

2 The Smurfs- $36,200,000 $36,200,000

3 Captain America: The First Avenger- $24,905,000 $116,772,000

4 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2- $21,925,000 $318,460,000

5 Crazy, Stupid, Love.- $19,300,000 $19,300,000

6 Friends with Benefits- $9,300,000 $38,200,000

7 Horrible Bosses- $7,100,000 $96,202,000

8 Transformers: Dark of the Moon- $5,970,000 $337,892,000

9 Zookeeper- $4,200,000 $68,731,000

10 Cars 2- $2,301,000 $182,070,000

The official numbers won't be out until tomorrow, but it looks like a horserace of mediocrity all weekend. The top two movies not only share the #1 spot, but also terrible reviews; Cowboys and Aliens and The Smurfs are currently tied with $36.2 mil apiece. The other major release, Crazy, Stupid, Love., premiered at #5 with $19.3 mil. Definitely nothing to be disapointed with.

And this also brings an unofficial end to the major summer movie season. Yes, I'm aware that it technically goes on until Labor Day weekend, but looking at the rest of the schedule, I honestly don't see any of these being major box office hits. But then again, what the hell do I know?!

Next week gives us Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds in The Change-Up, and James Franco stars as a scientist *snicker* who inadvertently begins the war of man vs. monkey in Rise of The Planet of The Apes.

It'syour turn to sound off. What did YOU see...and was it any good?

MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

Wait.... is that even possible? :o

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
'Zookeeper' is still making money...sad.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16883 Posts

MrEnvelope
The official numbers won't be released until tomorrow. By then we'll see which one is truly #1.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I thought C&A was getting decent reviews?

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I expected more from The Smurfs an Cowboys and Aliens. I'm surprised their tallies are so low. I was gonna see Cowboys and Aliens this week, but with such mediocre reviews, i might wait to rent.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

MrEnvelope
I think this happened a few months back or either last year when two movies made almost the same amount of money. I don't remember which two they were. :?
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts
Cowboys and Aliens was meh
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm so sad that Cowboys got critically slammed. I'll still watch it though..is the rumors of Olivia Wilde nude scene true :O?

Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Apocalypse33

I'm so sad that Cowboys got critically slammed. I'll still watch it though..is the rumors of Olivia Wilde nude scene true :O?

immortality20
nude in the sense, you don't see anything though you know she's naked
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

[QUOTE="immortality20"]

Apocalypse33

nude in the sense, you don't see anything though you know she's naked

Ah, the ol' cop out.

Oh yeah, we still got some good summer movies.

The Change Up
30 Minutes or Less
Fright Night
Don't be Afraid of the Dark

No oscar winners, but movies I'd still see.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
'Zookeeper' is still making money...sad.SaintLeonidas
its a kids movie. :roll: May check out The Change Up this week
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Glad to see Captain America has been getting mainly positive reviews.
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
Only saw Captain America, and Transformers 3. Loved CA thought Transformers 3 was meh. I still need to see HP part 2, and Horrible Bosses..
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
we saw Horrible Bosses last night, was funnier than I expected. Hope I look as good as Jennifer Anniston when I'm 50. =P
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I NEED to see Captain America. Everyone I know has been telling me it's pretty good.
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts

30 Minutes or Less

immortality20

Seeing this mainly for Aziz Ansari, he's hilarious.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]'Zookeeper' is still making money...sad.Swanogt19
its a kids movie. :roll:

Happy Madison productions are never directed solely towards children, hence why many critics have said a lot of the jokes are inappropriate for younger audiences, not surprising given it has a voice cast that includes Nick Nolte, Jim Breuer and Judd Apatow...all notorious for their child appropriate personalities and humor...:roll:. Even so it only makes it worse to know that is the sort of **** children are being subjected to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

saw Horrible Bosses, now thats a good movie :lol:

Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Apocalypse33
we saw Horrible Bosses last night, was funnier than I expected. Hope I look as good as Jennifer Anniston when I'm 50. =PAllicrombie
she's still like 42
ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ABCarmine
Member since 2011 • 1937 Posts

I didn't like the way they went with the smurfs art direction

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

I heard that Cowboys and Aliens actually got good reviews....

ABCarmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ABCarmine
Member since 2011 • 1937 Posts

Dawq902

Who'd you hear that from? The director?

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dawq902
[QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

Assorted interent sources. Actual movie reviers are crap. I go on sites where viewers actually rate it and go by that rather than "the professionals".
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintLeonidas
[QUOTE="Dawq902"][QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

Assorted interent sources. Actual movie reviers are crap. I go on sites where viewers actually rate it and go by that rather than "the professionals".

:lol: this just about made my day :lol:
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dawq902

[QUOTE="Dawq902"][QUOTE="ABCarmine"]

SaintLeonidas

Ever read an actual movie reviers review? They are so overly biased and opinionated that it is impossible for the review to portray a large community other than themself.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"][QUOTE="Dawq902"] Assorted interent sources. Actual movie reviers are crap. I go on sites where viewers actually rate it and go by that rather than "the professionals".Dawq902

Ever read an actual movie reviers review? They are so overly biased and opinionated that it is impossible for the review to portray a large community other than themself.

Never heard of a 'movie revier', though I have read plenty of review by movie reviewers, they are not bias but just based on those reviewers standards for what makes a movie good...exactly how anyone views and reviews something and of course a review is opinionated...as if reviews by average moviegoers aren't based on opinion :lol:

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
I NEED to see Captain America. Everyone I know has been telling me it's pretty good. mrmusicman247
Man tears at the end mate....man tears.  Glad to see it's still doing great
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dawq902
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]

:lol: this just about made my day :lol:SaintLeonidas

Never heard of a 'movie revier', though I have read plenty of review by movie reviewers, they are not bias but just based on those reviewers standards for what makes a movie good...exactly how anyone views and reviews something and of course a review is opinionated...as if reviews by average moviegoers aren't based on opinion :lol:

You have never read a newspaper or gone onto a website that reviews movies? They have movie reviers aka people who watch movies and then write about them for money. They are absolutly biased. If some guy hates animated films, goes and sees one and gives it a bad review because he does not like animation than that is completly biased. I was not reading revies by average moviegoers. It is simply just like the user rating on this site. Hundred, thousands, even tens of thousand of people can give it a rating on a set scale. Majority over minority. I fail to see how you cannot comprehend this idea.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"] Ever read an actual movie reviers review? They are so overly biased and opinionated that it is impossible for the review to portray a large community other than themself.

Dawq902

You have never read a newspaper or gone onto a website that reviews movies? They have movie reviers aka people who watch movies and then write about them for money. They are absolutly biased. If some guy hates animated films, goes and sees one and gives it a bad review because he does not like animation than that is completly biased. I was not reading revies by average moviegoers. It is simply just like the user rating on this site. Hundred, thousands, even tens of thousand of people can give it a rating on a set scale. Majority over minority. I fail to see how you cannot comprehend this idea.

:lol: ...again no such thing as a 'movie revier'...yes I have read many reviews on websites/newspapers/blogs ( I mean I'm only a part of a union dedicated to film discussion :roll: ) and also again an average moviegoer could also not like animation and then give an animated film a bad review based on that bias, because all reviews whether by critics or the average joe is based on that persons own preferences...and lets learn to spell before trying to tell me I don't understand a concept that you seem to not be able to grasp...that being that opinionated reviews based on ones own bias is universal and not just exclusive to professional critics.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dawq902
You bring spelling into this....okay.... Any person who reviews a movie is a movie revier, nobody cares about the technical term. Yeah a movie critic is a career and what do they do? They review movies. Call them a critic call them a revier that is besides the point and not the topic of the discussion....why you bring this up is just unnecessary and completly beside the point. Good for you for being in a movie union.... As i said before majority of minority. Sure one person who sees the movie may give it a 1 out of 10 but the MAJORITY of people will give it an honest rating. It is not like it takes much time. I would rather see 70/100 from 1,000,000 ratings over 40/100 from 30 ratings. I'm not talking about reviews composed by non critics but a rating. Reviews and ratings are very different things. I read the reviews of the critics and find their rating to be unreliable. I don't read reviews from the average person but find their rating much more reliable. Veyr simple to grasp.
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
oh wow... didn't expect the smurfs to make that much dough :|
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dawq902
oh wow... didn't expect the smurfs to make that much dough :|n00bkid
People love NPH
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaintLeonidas

You bring spelling into this....okay.... Any person who reviews a movie is a movie revier, nobody cares about the technical term. Yeah a movie critic is a career and what do they do? They review movies. Call them a critic call them a revier that is besides the point and not the topic of the discussion....why you bring this up is just unnecessary and completly beside the point. Good for you for being in a movie union.... As i said before majority of minority. Sure one person who sees the movie may give it a 1 out of 10 but the MAJORITY of people will give it an honest rating. It is not like it takes much time. I would rather see 70/100 from 1,000,000 ratings over 40/100 from 30 ratings. I'm not talking about reviews composed by non critics but a rating. Reviews and ratings are very different things. I read the reviews of the critics and find their rating to be unreliable. I don't read reviews from the average person but find their rating much more reliable. Veyr simple to grasp.Dawq902

Revier:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revier

Reviewer:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Reviewer&redirect=no

:lol: :lol:

...and again, you claim you don't read critic reviews because they are 'bias and opinionated'... news flash, those 'ratings' you speak of from the 'majority' are also based on 'bias and opinion', which is what I said twice.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dawq902

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]You bring spelling into this....okay.... Any person who reviews a movie is a movie revier, nobody cares about the technical term. Yeah a movie critic is a career and what do they do? They review movies. Call them a critic call them a revier that is besides the point and not the topic of the discussion....why you bring this up is just unnecessary and completly beside the point. Good for you for being in a movie union.... As i said before majority of minority. Sure one person who sees the movie may give it a 1 out of 10 but the MAJORITY of people will give it an honest rating. It is not like it takes much time. I would rather see 70/100 from 1,000,000 ratings over 40/100 from 30 ratings. I'm not talking about reviews composed by non critics but a rating. Reviews and ratings are very different things. I read the reviews of the critics and find their rating to be unreliable. I don't read reviews from the average person but find their rating much more reliable. Veyr simple to grasp.SaintLeonidas

...and again, you claim you don't read critic reviews because they are 'bias and opinionated'... news flash, those 'ratings' you speak of from the 'majority' are also based on 'bias and opinion', which is what I said twice.

I miss letter when I type fast. It happens....my point was still understandbale. If some profesional reviewer wrote a review of a game and calimed it to be the greatest thing he had ever played but ten of your friends simply told you it sucked would you go buy it?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"]You bring spelling into this....okay.... Any person who reviews a movie is a movie revier, nobody cares about the technical term. Yeah a movie critic is a career and what do they do? They review movies. Call them a critic call them a revier that is besides the point and not the topic of the discussion....why you bring this up is just unnecessary and completly beside the point. Good for you for being in a movie union.... As i said before majority of minority. Sure one person who sees the movie may give it a 1 out of 10 but the MAJORITY of people will give it an honest rating. It is not like it takes much time. I would rather see 70/100 from 1,000,000 ratings over 40/100 from 30 ratings. I'm not talking about reviews composed by non critics but a rating. Reviews and ratings are very different things. I read the reviews of the critics and find their rating to be unreliable. I don't read reviews from the average person but find their rating much more reliable. Veyr simple to grasp.Dawq902

I miss letter when I type fast. It happens....my point was still understandbale. If some profesional reviewer wrote a review of a game and calimed it to be the greatest thing he had ever played but ten of your friends simply told you it sucked would you go buy it?

No, because I don't go see or buy a game/book/etc. based solely on what my friends or professional critics say about it. I use their opinions to get an idea of what it is like and then depending on whether or not I agreed or disagreed with what those people might have said, including my own interests before even knowing much about it, I will make the decision...which is the whole point of reviews, they are just a source of opinion that people can look to when forming a decision as to whether they want to buy or go see something. Anyone who goes to see a movie based solely on what a collective of people said or based on what one reviewer might have thought shouldn't be complaining about how said reviewers come up with their own opinions of such things because they are complelely missing the point of those sorts of reviews or ratings.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
This is a delight! Dance, puppets, dance!
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dawq902
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

No, because I don't go see or buy a game/book/etc. based solely on what my friends or professional critics say about it. I use their opinions to get an idea of what it is like and then depending on whether or not I agreed or disagreed with what those people might have said, including my own interests before even knowing much about it, I will make the decision...which is the whole point of reviews, they are just a source of opinion that people can look to when forming a decision as to whether they want to buy or go see something. Anyone who goes to see a movie based solely on what a collective of people said or based on what one reviewer might have thought shouldn't be complaining about how said reviewers come up with their own opinions of such things because they are complelely missing the point of those sorts of reviews or ratings.

Ok so your use of the system may vary from others. For me if 10 people I know say it is good and 1 says it was horrible than I would follow the lead of the majority over the minortiy. You apparently do some hardcore googleing of some sort before making your decisions. I on the other hand would rather get a quick idea of a movie/game/book/etc quality. For example: You go to the movies to see movie X. It is sold out. You want to see a movie so you ask the people around you how movie Y was. 11 people say it was horrible and 2 people say it was awesome. You then ask the same about movie Z. All 13 people say it was awesome. Having no prior knowledge of either movie and basing your decison off what these people say what would you pick?
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]

[QUOTE="Dawq902"] I miss letter when I type fast. It happens....my point was still understandbale. If some profesional reviewer wrote a review of a game and calimed it to be the greatest thing he had ever played but ten of your friends simply told you it sucked would you go buy it?Dawq902

Ok so your use of the system may vary from others. For me if 10 people I know say it is good and 1 says it was horrible than I would follow the lead of the majority over the minortiy. You apparently do some hardcore googleing of some sort before making your decisions. I on the other hand would rather get a quick idea of a movie/game/book/etc quality. For example: You go to the movies to see movie X. It is sold out. You want to see a movie so you ask the people around you how movie Y was. 11 people say it was horrible and 2 people say it was awesome. You then ask the same about movie Z. All 13 people say it was awesome. Having no prior knowledge of either movie and basing your decison off what these people say what would you pick?

I'd be too upset over the sad state of affairs in Hollywood if they are releasing films entitled 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' to even go to the theater. I'd just stay at home cuddling with my blu-ray copy of 'The Seventh Seal'.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Man, Leonidas is having a field day :P
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points