This Week's Box Office Results: Hallenbeck's Game Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14364 posts) -

The rules are simple: A group of players eat nothing but Mexican food, undercooked chicken, and rancid mayonnaise for 1 hour. After that time, they see who can hold out the longest without going to the bathroom.

Not exactly the best idea for a game, but it's a work in progress. At any rate, the following is courtesy of Box Office Mojo.com:

PositionTitleWeekend TakeTotal Take (U.S. Only)
1Ender's Game$28 Mil$28 Mil
2Bad Grandpa$20.5 Mil$62 Mil
3Last Vegas$16.5 Mil$16.5 Mil
4Free Birds$16.2 Mil$16.2 Mil
5Gravity$13 Mil$219 Mil
6Captain Phillips$8.5 Mil$82.5 Mil
712 Years a Slave$4.6 Mil$8.7 Mil
8Cloudy 2$4.2 Mil$106 Mil
9Carrie (2013)$3.4 Mil$31.9 Mil
10The Counselor$3.2 Mil$13.3 Mil

It looks like Ender's Game won in the weekend box office fight with an estimated $28 mil for it's efforts. What I'm wondering is how huge the drop will be next week. With Thor: The Dark World already pulling in $109 Mil for its overseas release so far, and is due to be the only major release for this coming Friday, I think Ender's Game has a tough fight ahead of it to hit to break even the film's estimated $110 mil budget. The chances of it becoming the next big Young Adult film franchise, ala The Hunger Games might not be so good.

So, what did YOU see this weekend...and was it any good?

#2 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25922 posts) -

Saw 'Blue Is The Warmest Color' this past Friday, great film but didn't stick with me the way similar films have. Next week I plan to see 'Thor: The Dark World' and 'Dallas Buyers Club'.

#3 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14364 posts) -

Saw 'Blue Is The Warmest Color' this past Friday, great film but didn't stick with me the way similar films have. Next week I plan to see 'Thor: The Dark World' and 'Dallas Buyers Club'.

It'll be awhile before I hit the theaters again, gonna have to stretch my money for the time being. Out of curiosity, where is your avy from?

#4 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25922 posts) -

'Beginners'. One of my all time favorite films. Plummer won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role.

#5 Edited by AvatarMan96 (7323 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: You made a small error in the chart. #7 is 12 Years *A* Slave, not 12 Years AS a Slave ;)

#6 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14364 posts) -

'Beginners'. One of my all time favorite films. Plummer won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role.

I'll have to look that one up then.

#7 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14364 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: You made a small error in the chart. #7 is 12 Years *A* Slave, not 12 Years AS a Slave ;)

Misread it when I was putting it in. Thanks for the head-up, it's fixed now.

#8 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28012 posts) -

Saw 12 Years. Was pretty good, although I pretty much forgot about it the day after I saw it.

It looks like Enders Game isn't going to be the next Harry Potter/Hunger Games. Getting those Eragon vibes.

#9 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

Saw 12 Years. Was pretty good, although I pretty much forgot about it the day after I saw it.

It looks like Enders Game isn't going to be the next Harry Potter/Hunger Games. Getting those Eragon vibes.

The movie just doesn't look terribly interesting so I will not be surprised if Enders Game goes the way of Eragon.

Will be seeing Thor this coming Saturday! Then I will be looking forward to Catching Fire and Desolation of Smaug. Planning on seeing all 3 in Imax!

#10 Posted by BranKetra (47902 posts) -

Ender's Game has Harrison Ford. I did not imagine it doing poorly because of that.

#11 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17572 posts) -

did not like the counselor

except for the car sex scene

#12 Posted by indzman (16956 posts) -

Haven't seen any movies listed. Last watched Krrish 3 indian super hero movie :P

#13 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14364 posts) -

did not like the counselor

except for the car sex scene

I would hope that the engine was off before someone had sex with the car, at least.