This may sound morbid, but hear me out...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16877 Posts

About a few weeks ago I had a conversation with my family about planning our funerals when we die.  I told my family and my fiancee that when I go...and I mean this in all sincerity...I want a party thrown in my memory instead of having a bunch of people mourning my death.  The way I feel, you're not mourning someone's death, you're celebrating someone's life.  I'm gonna have my family invite everyone I knew...even the people who hated me.  Diddn't like me? screw it! C'mon buy and have a beer and some food, listen to some good music and shake yo' stinking @$$.

I just feel that if I'm gonna pass into the great beyond, I just wanna have the people who cared about me remember me with love and fond menories as they have one last party in my honor.  But, that's just me.

bellsmye1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bellsmye1
Member since 2005 • 2687 Posts

About a few weeks ago I had a conversation with my family about planning our funerals when we die.  I told my family and my fiancee that when I go...and I mean this in all sincerity...I want a party thrown in my memory instead of having a bunch of people mourning my death.  The way I feel, you're not mourning someone's death, you're celebrating someone's life.  I'm gonna have my family invite everyone I knew...even the people who hated me.  Diddn't like me? screw it! C'mon buy and have a beer and some food, listen to some good music and shake yo' stinking @$$.

I just feel that if I'm gonna pass into the great beyond, I just wanna have the people who cared about me remember me with love and fond menories as they have one last party in my honor.  But, that's just me.

Hallenbeck77
Can I come?
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
This reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond when Ray's family discusses such a topic. Good times, gooood times.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
It's not really such a strange idea. Some cultures treat death that way, and I have to say it's probably easier on everyone.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

bellsmye1
Can I come?

Why not? :)
kylekatarn10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 kylekatarn10
Member since 2005 • 2818 Posts
As long as you die in the next 5 years, and there's a swimming pool, sounds good. :D
jerami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 jerami
Member since 2003 • 1676 Posts
This reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond when Ray's family discusses such a topic. Good times, gooood times.haloraider
haha, I love that show! But when I die I just want to be remembered.... that's all..
Alucard32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Alucard32
Member since 2004 • 1321 Posts
yea most cultures do that... but im totally coming.
jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 jm4847
Member since 2006 • 3535 Posts
I always go to people's funerals' so they'll go to mine :)
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
As long as you die in the next 5 years, and there's a swimming pool, sounds good. :Dkylekatarn10
If we can't get a pool, We'll find a garden hose and an Slip N' Slide.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
People will throw a party when I go whether I like it or not :lol:
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
You think that sounds morbid? I like funerals...
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
[QUOTE="kylekatarn10"]As long as you die in the next 5 years, and there's a swimming pool, sounds good. :DHallenbeck77
If we can't get a pool, We'll find a garden hose and an Slip N' Slide.

imagine teh possibilities
snrsmith23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 snrsmith23
Member since 2004 • 1833 Posts
I think it's a great idea. It's like in Tuesdays with Morrie, where they threw a party to celebrate his life. Although he was still alive he was dying when they threw the party.
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 yamum2
Member since 2007 • 5879 Posts
thats not a bad idea. y be sad when u can be happy.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
i wouldn't ask my mourning family to try to throw a fake party on my behalf when i die.  they obviously wouldn't be in a good mood, and i wouldn't expect in my selfishness for them to be obligated to feel otherwise.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
i wouldn't ask my mourning family to try to throw a fake party on my behalf when i die.  they obviously wouldn't be in a good mood, and i wouldn't expect in my selfishness for them to be obligated to feel otherwise.NathanHawkins
The way I see it, it doesn't make any sense for them to shed any tears for me. Besides, they know the type of person that I am, I try not to take anything too seriously. They'd would do something like this even if I diddn't ask them to.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It's not really such a strange idea. Some cultures treat death that way, and I have to say it's probably easier on everyone. Elraptor

Yes, I've heard of a few that do that and of some people who have.

wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
"I'll make you party at my funeral, 'cause mourning is for suckerss... I'll rent a ferris wheel and cotton candy machine and have open bar" Good song.
vegas_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 vegas_6
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts
You talk to your family about what'll happen when you die? Geez... live a little will yah? How old are you anyways?
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
Sounds cool...death is just the beginning.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
You talk to your family about what'll happen when you die? Geez... live a little will yah? How old are you anyways?vegas_6
Late 20s. It came up in conversation about a few months ago, around the 15th aniversary of my uncle's passing. I'm living life as much as i can every day.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NathanHawkins

[QUOTE="vegas_6"]You talk to your family about what'll happen when you die? Geez... live a little will yah? How old are you anyways?Hallenbeck77
Late 20s. It came up in conversation about a few months ago, around the 15th aniversary of my uncle's passing. I'm living life as much as i can every day.

good and decent response to a question that was neither of those.  i agree that talking with family about one's certain death is important, and when one lives a little he or she will realize that. 

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I don't think it sounds morbid at all it sound pretty much like my moms side of the family.  The only problem is trying to carry a casket w/ a hang over (I'm not joking it's hard).
thisisjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#25 thisisjosh
Member since 2005 • 2845 Posts
it's too bad most of the people there won't feel like partying. everyone's feelings count, and i'm not too sure, because i don't know them, that your parents would drink beer and dance when you died from a horrible car crash or something. but i would hope my parents wouldn't throw a party when i'm gone. but i wouldn't ask them to, so yeah.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

I've decided to be cremated. Won't have to worry about dropping the casket. 

azrealhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 azrealhk
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts
Some poet or philosopher once said that we only grieve because we see the shortness of our own lives.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
it's too bad most of the people there won't feel like partying. everyone's feelings count, and i'm not too sure, because i don't know them, that your parents would drink beer and dance when you died from a horrible car crash or something. but i would hope my parents wouldn't throw a party when i'm gone. but i wouldn't ask them to, so yeah.thisisjosh
The reason I decided on doing so is because when my uncle died, I remember everybody coming over to my house after the funeral hanging out and trading stories about him. We had some food and I sat with my dad and the other adults as they were playing dominoes talking about him. It was sad that he died, but at the same time it was good knowing that he was truly loved and will aiways live on in spirit.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~When I die I want to be cremated. Cuz I'd make such a big fire and that would be totally awesome.:D~-~
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

At the neighborhood bar I go to (nothing big on appearances) we have had funeral gatherings, a wedding, etc. If it happens in life we have probably had a party for it. One funeral we actually had a collection of pictures of the person, her ashes, and we put a shrine up around her favorite seat. When they said a few words for her later in the night we about all broke into tears.

I was going to rent a whale watching boat for my funeral gathering and people could have a ceremony when they got out far, everyone would have a small thing of ashes, dump them in teh sea if you want . Then a party with open bar and food on the way back, but I bailed on that idea for various reasons.

My friend said he has allocated $1,000 in his will to throw a party for him when he goes.....so the idea is not a new one.

Party on.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
I don't plan on croaking for about another 50-60 years, God willing, but I guess as I'm getting older and gonna be married soon, I just want to get a head start on planning for the rest of my life.  You never know, I could be walking down the street, and an 18 wheeler might decide to double park where I'm standing. :P
bminns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bminns
Member since 2004 • 4052 Posts

Hallenbeck77

:lol: i definitely agree, i dont want anyone to be sad on the day of my funeral, i want everyone to partay!

thisisjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#33 thisisjosh
Member since 2005 • 2845 Posts
[QUOTE="thisisjosh"]it's too bad most of the people there won't feel like partying. everyone's feelings count, and i'm not too sure, because i don't know them, that your parents would drink beer and dance when you died from a horrible car crash or something. but i would hope my parents wouldn't throw a party when i'm gone. but i wouldn't ask them to, so yeah.Hallenbeck77
The reason I decided on doing so is because when my uncle died, I remember everybody coming over to my house after the funeral hanging out and trading stories about him. We had some food and I sat with my dad and the other adults as they were playing dominoes talking about him. It was sad that he died, but at the same time it was good knowing that he was truly loved and will aiways live on in spirit.

exactly, that is a funeral. but i want what you want for you. the right ending to, hopefully, a happy life. that's all.   *spreads love*
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="thisisjosh"]it's too bad most of the people there won't feel like partying. everyone's feelings count, and i'm not too sure, because i don't know them, that your parents would drink beer and dance when you died from a horrible car crash or something. but i would hope my parents wouldn't throw a party when i'm gone. but i wouldn't ask them to, so yeah.thisisjosh

exactly, that is a funeral. but i want what you want for you. the right ending to, hopefully, a happy life. that's all.   *spreads love*

That means a lot to me, man. thanks.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

About a few weeks ago I had a conversation with my family about planning our funerals when we die. I told my family and my fiancee that when I go...and I mean this in all sincerity...I want a party thrown in my memory instead of having a bunch of people mourning my death. The way I feel, you're not mourning someone's death, you're celebrating someone's life. I'm gonna have my family invite everyone I knew...even the people who hated me. Diddn't like me? screw it! C'mon buy and have a beer and some food, listen to some good music and shake yo' stinking @$$.

I just feel that if I'm gonna pass into the great beyond, I just wanna have the people who cared about me remember me with love and fond menories as they have one last party in my honor. But, that's just me.

Hallenbeck77

That's what my father told me he'd want for his funeral. Personally - yeah, I think it's a good idea. Although I'm not so sure about inviting enemies. :P

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NathanHawkins

That's what my father told me he'd want for his funeral. Personally - yeah, I think it's a good idea. Although I'm not so sure about inviting enemies. :P

doubutsuteki

you won't need to.  they'll crash it for sure.  :P

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
I'm not even stressing on my enemies (aka Haters).  They're ALWAYS gonna be haters in your life, you just gotta keep living your life and doing your own thing.  Once you're gone, even haters are gonna miss you. 8)
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 doubutsuteki

I'm not even stressing on my enemies (aka Haters). They're ALWAYS gonna be haters in your life, you just gotta keep living your life and doing your own thing. Once you're gone, even haters are gonna miss you. 8)Hallenbeck77

Yeah, they're gonna miss hating you. 

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 doubutsuteki
[QUOTE="doubutsuteki"]

NathanHawkins

you won't need to. they'll crash it for sure. :P

Saves my family from the trouble of having to decide about it when I'm gone, I guess.