This B**** Was Banned On Facebook For Insulting Fat People. Fair?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) 6 months, 2 days ago

Poll: This B**** Was Banned On Facebook For Insulting Fat People. Fair? (31 votes)

Yes 29%
No 71%

Maria Kang did it once and she's doing it again in insulting fat people, specifically fat mothers for shaming them on still being fat after pregnancy...and thus she was banned from facebook for her anti-fat movement. was that a fair banning?

#51 Posted by achilles614 (4848 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:
@Byshop said:

I don't see how her posting over 800 photos of herself on Facebook (no, really) or selling a line of "what's your excuse" tank-tops helps anyone but herself. Her goal seems like shameless self-promotion rather than a genuine attempt to help others.

I will tell you who it helps. It helps people who respond better to criticism and shaming than people being nice to them and saying it's okay to fail as long as they tried even though they gave up without breaking a sweat.

100% agreed, I see little wrong with her "campaign". It's clear that her approach is a little hard-ass but the softie approach fails for some people. I wouldn't go into a classroom and condemn someone for teaching through graphical examples when I'm an hands on learner. Different strokes for different folks.

#52 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7345 posts) -

Ugh, theres was worst stuff out there like racism, poverty, crimea, war on drugs, education, blah and fat people get worked up over this? If I was fat(which I kind of am according to my bmi, but I am small boned, so I look lighter than I really am), than I would just get my behind off the couch and work out or just be content with being the way I am.

Even if her tactic is suppose to some shameless ad, I didn't see whats offensive about it, seems to be something positive saying that someone like her can lose weight so quickly. Its not like it says something like "Oh you fat mom/people are lazy **** and look terrible".

#53 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17142 posts) -

Are people really dense enough to think that going and insulting people is a good way to make them change?

No, if anything it will have the OPPOSITE effect as they will likely get pissed off at you and not want to hear shit about what you have to say...

#54 Edited by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

Are people really dense enough to think that going and insulting people is a good way to make them change?

No, if anything it will have the OPPOSITE effect as they will likely get pissed off at you and not want to hear shit about what you have to say...

Actually, it does work with a lot of people. There are hundreds of exercise groups around the world that were formed which were inspired by Maria Kang's "No Excuses" campaign. Outside of her methods, it has worked in boot camp settings, in sports training camps, and more. Different people are motivated by different things and if shame is what gets a woman who is 50 pounds overweight the motivation to start walking a few minutes a day then what Ms. Kang did is worth it.

The people who want nothing to do with her methods can just ignore her and do what they want. We are a bunch of gamers and we constantly complain about people who want to ban violent games and say that parents who don't like them should just keep their kids away from them instead of trying to ruin it for everybody. Overweight women who are offended by Ms. Kang's methods can simply not click on any story that has her name in it instead of going the extra mile and reporting her for hate speech for calling them out on being lazy.

#55 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17142 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Actually, it does work with a lot of people. There are hundreds of exercise groups around the world that were formed which were inspired by Maria Kang's "No Excuses" campaign. Outside of her methods, it has worked in boot camp settings, in sports training camps, and more. Different people are motivated by different things and if shame is what gets a woman who is 50 pounds overweight the motivation to start walking a few minutes a day then what Ms. Kang did is worth it.

The people who want nothing to do with her methods can just ignore her and do what they want. We are a bunch of gamers and we constantly complain about people who want to ban violent games and say that parents who don't like them should just keep their kids away from them instead of trying to ruin it for everybody. Overweight women who are offended by Ms. Kang's methods can simply not click on any story that has her name in it instead of going the extra mile and reporting her for hate speech for calling them out on being lazy.

Bootcamp is an entirely different mental training than this. Bootcamp is meant to get soldiers to focus on caring about the team as a whole rather than looking out for just yourself. They break a soldier of their individuality to get them more willing to obey orders without back-sass and care about the greater good over their own self. Entirely different set of goals than just trying to get a person to get healthy,

Shame does not work well as a motivator especially in this context considering there are plenty of people out there whose over-eating habits stem from a subconscious habit of eating their emotions. Making such people feel shitty will just cause them to go eat more bad food. It is a big vicious cycle that requires tact and a lot of effort to break.

Besides,k I guarantee when you go up to someone who is obese and tell them they are fat and need to lose weight you are not telling them a damn thing they don't know. It is such a giant captain obvious situation made worse by the fact that the people who need to lose weight the most are also going to be the ones whose obesity is way more apparent.

I don't see anyone here arguing the ban was justified and besides I do believe someonne had posted a follow-up article that said the ban was an accident to begin with. What we do have here are people like myself who just see this Kang woman as being a narcissistic bitch who cares more about promoting herself and stroking her ego than any real inclination to help people get healthier.

She can try and preach her message all she wants, but she can also remember that being a bitch will get you negative attention and I hope this Kang lady is ready to deal with that.

#56 Posted by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Bootcamp is an entirely different mental training than this. Bootcamp is meant to get soldiers to focus on caring about the team as a whole rather than looking out for just yourself. They break a soldier of their individuality to get them more willing to obey orders without back-sass and care about the greater good over their own self. Entirely different set of goals than just trying to get a person to get healthy,

Shame does not work well as a motivator especially in this context considering there are plenty of people out there whose over-eating habits stem from a subconscious habit of eating their emotions. Making such people feel shitty will just cause them to go eat more bad food. It is a big vicious cycle that requires tact and a lot of effort to break.

Besides,k I guarantee when you go up to someone who is obese and tell them they are fat and need to lose weight you are not telling them a damn thing they don't know. It is such a giant captain obvious situation made worse by the fact that the people who need to lose weight the most are also going to be the ones whose obesity is way more apparent.

I don't see anyone here arguing the ban was justified and besides I do believe someonne had posted a follow-up article that said the ban was an accident to begin with. What we do have here are people like myself who just see this Kang woman as being a narcissistic bitch who cares more about promoting herself and stroking her ego than any real inclination to help people get healthier.

She can try and preach her message all she wants, but she can also remember that being a bitch will get you negative attention and I hope this Kang lady is ready to deal with that.

When I said boot camp settings I was talking about those bootcamp-type fitness programs where the fitness instructors are yelling and motivating you to exercise and not quit. Military training is a whole different ballgame that has no room for people who don't have the discipline to keep the weight off. I know from personal experience that many of the women who were offended would have quit within their first week assuming they were able to pass the body fat test to get in at all.

As of right now over 700 groups have formed worldwide based on her "No Excuses" program. Assuming each group has at least ten women, that is at least 7,000 women exercising because of her example. We can call her a bitch all we want but if she is inspiring that many women then she must be doing something right. Her Facebook page has over 284,000 Likes as well and is filled with pictures of other women who lost weight after pregnancy following her example.

Everybody else who hates her because they equate her program as a form of fat bullying, then this is a free country and they can ignore her. Not everybody responds to the same type of motivation, so if her program doesn't work for them those women can consider another program or if they are into the "fat pride" movement or have a medical issue that prevents them from exercising and/or eating right they can just do nothing.

The whole purpose of her original picture wasn't to rub it in and tell women they are fat. It was to show women that despite having three kids she was able to get herself down to her target weight and tone up her body. A lot of mothers will let themselves go after only one child and don't have any medical problems that would justify it. She works and has a disabled husband who can't work because he was injured in Iraq so even with all of that she was still able to stay fit.

#57 Posted by PSP107 (11819 posts) -

Ugh, theres was worst stuff out there like racism, poverty, crimea, war on drugs, education, blah and fat people get worked up over this?

I guess fat people( especially women) don't like to be called fat.

#58 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17142 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@ad1x2 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

When I said boot camp settings I was talking about those bootcamp-type fitness programs where the fitness instructors are yelling and motivating you to exercise and not quit. Military training is a whole different ballgame that has no room for people who don't have the discipline to keep the weight off. I know from personal experience that many of the women who were offended would have quit within their first week assuming they were able to pass the body fat test to get in at all.

As of right now over 700 groups have formed worldwide based on her "No Excuses" program. Assuming each group has at least ten women, that is at least 7,000 women exercising because of her example. We can call her a bitch all we want but if she is inspiring that many women then she must be doing something right. Her Facebook page has over 284,000 Likes as well and is filled with pictures of other women who lost weight after pregnancy following her example.

Everybody else who hates her because they equate her program as a form of fat bullying, then this is a free country and they can ignore her. Not everybody responds to the same type of motivation, so if her program doesn't work for them those women can consider another program or if they are into the "fat pride" movement or have a medical issue that prevents them from exercising and/or eating right they can just do nothing.

The whole purpose of her original picture wasn't to rub it in and tell women they are fat. It was to show women that despite having three kids she was able to get herself down to her target weight and tone up her body. A lot of mothers will let themselves go after only one child and don't have any medical problems that would justify it. She works and has a disabled husband who can't work because he was injured in Iraq so even with all of that she was still able to stay fit.

Lol at facebook likes being used to legitimize a person...

The free country thing works for other people besides Maria which you seem to be having trouble understanding.

BTW the purpose of that picture was shameless self-promotion, nothing more.

#59 Posted by ad1x2 (5503 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: So you totally ignored everything else I said and focused on the Facebook Likes and the free country comments? We're not going to agree so let's drop the conversation.

#60 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16116 posts) -

Only a lazy fat person would feel insulted by this campaign.

#61 Posted by GazaAli (22503 posts) -

She looks so weird. Its like she was assembled using different human parts by some crazy doctor.

#62 Posted by thegerg (14846 posts) -
#63 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (857 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

She looks so weird. Its like she was assembled using different human parts by some crazy doctor.

If anything, it should be a campaign to get the woman a proper personal trainer, who knows how to work different parts of the body.

#64 Edited by redstorm72 (4524 posts) -

Making fat people feel ashamed will most likely result in them eating more. Not exactly a winning attitude to adopt.

They are fat anyways, so whats the harm? Should we just pretend they are not fat and hope they magically get thin? That is like saying "don't have an intervention for an alcoholic, it will only make them depressed and drink more!".

#65 Posted by Master_Live (14170 posts) -

People who are fat don't need to get thin, they just can be.

#66 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (857 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Making fat people feel ashamed will most likely result in them eating more. Not exactly a winning attitude to adopt.

They are fat anyways, so whats the harm? Should we just pretend they are not fat and hope they magically get thin? That is like saying "don't have an intervention for an alcoholic, it will only make them depressed and drink more!".

Bad comparison.

Interventions are done by close friends and family, not by some douche on the internet, telling everyone how awesome he is cos he quit drinking.

#67 Posted by comp_atkins (31267 posts) -

ugh.. yet another "i did it so so can you" person running around. we get it, you're fabulous.

#68 Edited by uninspiredcup (7822 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, a long term positive attitude is more beneficial than a short term negative one. This isn't "my opinion" it's well known and practiced among professional trainers , psychologists and among athletes.

A rather wonderful example of this is a particular motivation speech from an immigrant who apparently became former Mr Universe/Olympia some sort of Hollywood star and former governor or something.

#69 Edited by Byshop (11149 posts) -

@ad1x2 said:

I don't dislike her because I think her program is a form of bullying, I dislike her for the things she says in interviews and posts. As mentioned, she strikes me as a shameless self promoter who actually tries to piss people off because without the controversy surrounding her there wouldn't be anyone paying any attention to her at all. That's a bummer about her husband and I'm sorry to hear that he's injured, but at the same time if he's home all the time then doesn't that likely mean he's helping to take care of their three children? That actually seems like a benefit to her fitness goals in some ways.

I'm not saying she should be censored or taken off of Facebook. It's a free country, and so long as she doesn't violate Facebook's rules then she can post as many half naked selfies of her straddling her kids as she likes. 284k likes doesn't really tell me anything about the efficacy of her program (Paris Hilton has 4.3 million likes and I think most people would agree that she's a waste of human skin) and all those excersize programs are great, but in the end it's not about getting people to exercise right now. It's about getting people to make a positive lifestyle change and body shaming is actually one of the least effective ways to make that happen in a healthy way and can in fact have the opposite effect. Yes, some people will respond well to it but not everyone (or even most) and are -not- based on shaming. Being critical instead of supporting of other people is something I associate with lower self-esteem rather than higher (along with posting tons of selfies), so I wasn't exactly shocked to find out that she used to be bulimic.

But here's what -really- annoys me. The whole "what's your excuse" campaign is a bullshit argument. There are two logical falacies in her question: it's an example of "begging the question" and placing the "burden of proof" on the person being asked. She's asking the person on the receiving end of the question to come up reasons why they can't without actually bothering to find out if the other party is in an evenly remotely comparable situation (just assuming they are), while simultaneously loading the question by implying that any reason that the responder comes up with is just an "excuse" on their part.

I don't know her socio-economic status but i know she has a pretty nice treadmill, a home that she can fit excersize equipment in, a gym membership and although she doesn't have a nanny that doesn't mean she doesn't have people to take care of her kids when she's at work or the gym (husband, family, babysitter, whatever). Unfortunately, the US is a country where it actually costs MORE to eat healthier food options and meet nutritional requirements. If I were a low-income single mom working two minimum wage jobs to keep my kids fed and I saw this campaign with this woman taking swimsuit shots of herself and asking me why I don't look the same as her, my response would probably be "go fuck yourself, lady". And justifiably so.

-Byshop

#70 Posted by redstorm72 (4524 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: That may very well be, but the vast majority of people don't have an inspirational life coach on hand full time to turn their lives around, so a negative push in the right direction is still better than no push at all. These people getting offended obviously don't have a positive attitude towards their weight and weight loss if they are being so easily offended by some random chick on facebook. Hell, shows like The Biggest Loser show that even a "positive" route to weight loss still often ends with them getting fat again. Who cares if they feel bad? It's not like they were born fat or that it was something done to them, they did it to themselves. I'm tired of having to be so damn sensitive of every single human beings feelings. We have no problem guilt tripping smokers about their habit, but we need to walk on egg shells when a fat person is stuffing their face and teaching their habits to their kids. If this lady's self righteous facebook posts get some people to be healthier, then all the power to her.

#71 Edited by uninspiredcup (7822 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

@uninspiredcup: That may very well be, but the vast majority of people don't have an inspirational life coach on hand full time to turn their lives around

Neither did he. Arnold was from a relatively poor single level village shack having to share bath water with several other family members. Couldn't afford to keep a dog so they had cats as they where self sufficient catching mice for food. So no, not magical padding of circumstances.

I already addressed your point in the previous post, no need to go round in circles.

#72 Posted by lostrib (34385 posts) -

If she was banned, then why is her page still up with recent posts: https://www.facebook.com/MariaMKang

It seems she's been temp banned in the past, but not currently

#73 Posted by redstorm72 (4524 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

@uninspiredcup: That may very well be, but the vast majority of people don't have an inspirational life coach on hand full time to turn their lives around

Neither did he. Arnold was from a relatively poor single level village shack having to share bath water with several other family members. Couldn't afford to keep a dog so they had cats as they where self sufficient catching mice for food. So no, not magical padding of circumstances.

I already addressed your point in the previous post, no need to go round in circles.

If only we were all Arnold Schwarzenegger's. Unfortunately, we are not. Some people need a kick in the ass.

#74 Edited by comp_atkins (31267 posts) -

@redstorm72 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, a long term positive attitude is more beneficial than a short term negative one. This isn't "my opinion" it's well known and practiced among professional trainers , psychologists and among athletes.

A rather wonderful example of this is a particular motivation speech from an immigrant who apparently became former Mr Universe/Olympia some sort of Hollywood star and former governor or something.

wait, what?

#75 Edited by uninspiredcup (7822 posts) -

I agree people can do with a jolt. However, a negative attitude is not the way to do it. I would argue the attitude of picking on people isn't to help them but usually a bully tactic to comfort yourself. Reinforcing a sense of entitlement. That's anything but a strong character and one many people (especially on the internet) adopt.

#76 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (857 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@redstorm72 said:

If only we were all Arnold Schwarzenegger's. Unfortunately, we are not. Some people need a kick in the ass.

what is that supposed to mean?

#78 Posted by redstorm72 (4524 posts) -

I agree people can do with a jolt. However, a negative attitude is not the way to do it. I would argue the attitude of picking on people isn't to help them but usually a bully tactic to comfort yourself. Reinforcing a sense of entitlement. That's anything but a strong character and one many people (especially on the internet) adopt.

I agree that a positive attitude would be preferable. Its just that those take quite a bit of effort, time, and support and most people haven't adopted this attitude. A negative track may not be the best option, but it's better than nothing.

#79 Posted by Byshop (11149 posts) -

@lostrib said:

If she was banned, then why is her page still up with recent posts: https://www.facebook.com/MariaMKang

It seems she's been temp banned in the past, but not currently

The TC didn't do their research. Her account was temporarily suspended back in November due to a specific post she wrote that was reported. The post was removed, but FB re-instated the account saying that they had taken it offline in error. She's not banned from Facebook and it was never over one of her "what's your excuse" photos.

-Byshop

#80 Edited by thegerg (14846 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I agree that a positive attitude is best, and that is what this woman is putting out. I don't see what's negative about a "no excuses, you can do it too" attitude.