This annoys the heck out of me

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JadeTorchwood (869 posts) -
I hate it when people compare superhero movies to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. I love Batman and Chris Nolan's Dark Knight movies as much as the next person. I've been a big Batman fan since I was a little girl. I remember watching the 1990's Batman cartoon along with Batman Beyond and both Justice League cartoons. Nolan did an amazing job with one of my favorite superhero characters, but I'm tired of people comparing other superhero movies like the Avengers to his Batman movies. The reason why I'm ranting about this is because of one or two idiots on the iTunes store gave the Avengers a bad rating and said that the movie should be more like Nolan's Batman. Not all superhero movies are gonna be like the Dark Knight trilogy. All superhero movies are great in their own way. I just can't stand it when people prop up one superhero movie/trilogy like Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy and say that's how all superhero movies should be just like that. Superhero movies should be judged on their own merits.
#2 Posted by Borrizee (379 posts) -
Amen to that. Same here,I'm a huge batman fan and the last 3 movies are the bomb. Best joker ever. But you can't compare the best with the rest. Lol. Every moviemaker should do there thing and vision. Only then we will see better movies,don't just counts for hero movies or movies all round. It's the same with books,games,music,...
#3 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
Yeah, even though the majority of these people didn't give a crap about Christopher Nolan until The Dark Knight, and now they call him godlike. I once heard someone talk about The Avengers: Assemble and say "It was great, but would have been so much better if Christopher Nolan had directed it." Yeah, why doesn't he just direct all the movies from now on... :roll: <.
#4 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Well, there is a difference between comparing it to something that is / was popular or to compare it with something that has set whole new and solid standards to Superhero Movies, and that's what Nolan's Batman Trilogy just did.

Sorry that I have to come up with a video game example in Off Topic, can't think of anything better right now, but it's the same with how almost EVERY nowadays modern RPG STILL is compared to Final Fantasy VII.

Sometimes something that is created just BLOWS AWAY the know limitations or bypasses them in ways so clever that they define a new standard. If this wouldn't happen, we would still have mute movies in black and white. So, comparing and having a healthy rivalry base upon it can only be a good thing in my opinion. It encourages change.

Though if THAT what will come out of the change in the end then qualifies as worthy is a whole other story, but it happens, from time to time. Like with Nolan's Batman Movies.

#5 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -
Live and let live
#6 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4134 posts) -
Batman is relatively easy to make into a serious story considering that is what it's been for ages. Not in the beginning but... yeah lets forget those years. Anyhow, the point is that it is harder to take to the same tier of seriousness and good plot someone who levitates and shoots things from their eyes and mouth than someone who basically is a plain as day human at their peak. One you need to use your imagination to keep ahold of. The other you actually wonder what it be like since while improbable, is still possible.
#7 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

I agree completely.

#8 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Live and let livedave123321

What does KC think about the issue?

#9 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Live and let liveTheFallenDemon

What does KC think about the issue?

Confused
#10 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Batman is relatively easy to make into a serious story considering that is what it's been for ages. Not in the beginning but... yeah lets forget those years. Anyhow, the point is that it is harder to take to the same tier of seriousness and good plot someone who levitates and shoots things from their eyes and mouth than someone who basically is a plain as day human at their peak. One you need to use your imagination to keep ahold of. The other you actually wonder what it be like since while improbable, is still possible. CreasianDevaili

If you think the beginning is Adam West and the 60's TV Show you're sooooo freaking wrong ^_^

#11 Posted by JadeTorchwood (869 posts) -
Amen to that. Same here,I'm a huge batman fan and the last 3 movies are the bomb. Best joker ever. But you can't compare the best with the rest. Lol. Every moviemaker should do there thing and vision. Only then we will see better movies,don't just counts for hero movies or movies all round. It's the same with books,games,music,...Borrizee
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this. You're right about that.
#12 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Amen to that. Same here,I'm a huge batman fan and the last 3 movies are the bomb. Best joker ever. But you can't compare the best with the rest. Lol. Every moviemaker should do there thing and vision. Only then we will see better movies,don't just counts for hero movies or movies all round. It's the same with books,games,music,...Borrizee

Unfortunatley, the reality shows the opposite ;S Have a look at China, pirated cloth brands, car brands or let it be "stolen" ideas in video games. Those who copy what works have success.

#13 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
All superhero movies are great in their own way.JadeTorchwood
eeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe they are just judging the movie like they would any other and... y'know they kinda suck i didnt even watch all of the avengers, i left half way through
#14 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy just aren't comparable. Their tones are completely different and the directors were aiming for competely different things.

#15 Posted by JadeTorchwood (869 posts) -

The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy just aren't comparable. Their tones are completely different and the directors were aiming for competely different things.

jim_shorts
Yeah, that's part of why I hate it when people compare the two movies.
#16 Posted by Hatiko (4535 posts) -

Most comic book fans feel that Superman: The Movie from 1978 is the superhero movie that all others should be compared to. But I agree with you, I would never want say, Invincible to be made into a movie like Nolan's Trilogy.

#17 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
I hate Batman and how he's compared to superheroes with actual powers that could wipe him off the face of the Earth with a snap of their fingers. However, I did enjoy the movies; maybe it was because he was the only superhero present.
#18 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10187 posts) -

david cronenberg begs to differ.

#19 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4134 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Batman is relatively easy to make into a serious story considering that is what it's been for ages. Not in the beginning but... yeah lets forget those years. Anyhow, the point is that it is harder to take to the same tier of seriousness and good plot someone who levitates and shoots things from their eyes and mouth than someone who basically is a plain as day human at their peak. One you need to use your imagination to keep ahold of. The other you actually wonder what it be like since while improbable, is still possible. Justforvisit

If you think the beginning is Adam West and the 60's TV Show you're sooooo freaking wrong ^_^

Wasn't that around the beginning of the live action media? I don't mean the comics. I mean the live action media.
#20 Posted by Hatiko (4535 posts) -

I hate Batman and how he's compared to superheroes with actual powers that could wipe him off the face of the Earth with a snap of their fingers. However, I did enjoy the movies; maybe it was because he was the only superhero present. Ghost_702

Same, I don't know why, I just dislike Batman. He has had some great writers recently before Flashpoint and obviously now after with Snyder but I just didn't like him as a character. If I had to choose Morrison's Batman or Action Comics I would choose his AC just because while the writing is great in both, I prefer a superhero that I like. There are mutliple reason why I think Superman is a better character but we leave that for another times.

#21 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Avengers was such a fun film. We need films like it. I would hate to see it become all grounded in reality and stuff.

#22 Posted by MrPraline (21321 posts) -
Best superhero film is Superman II anyway
#23 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -
It's inevitable that comparisons are made when rating things.....
#24 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

It's inevitable that comparisons are made when rating things.....LJS9502_basic

Seriously what's with you and your dots? Rarely is their a post without ending it with several dots

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It's inevitable that comparisons are made when rating things.....OB-47

Seriously what's with you and your dots? Rarely is their a post without ending it with several dots

I thought I'd make up for your posts that are missing the dots like the quoted post....:P

#26 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
ball park for us how many times you've been asked that lj
#27 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

The only people who say TDK trilogy, Avengers, or anything else like Watchmen are the best superhero movies are probably those who have never seen masterpieces like The Toxic Avenger.

#28 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

TDK trilogy, Avengers, or anything else like Watchmen

TheFallenDemon

Those movies are pretty good.

#29 Posted by Genetic_Code (13125 posts) -
You can't make apples oranges. Then, they would be oranges.
#30 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

I agree that not everything should be compared to Nolan's Batman films, I'm not sure if there is even another hero that could even do the same tone and grounded fiction like the Dark Knight and DKR.

But if you're judging a film on it's merits, the Avengers still comes up very short on anything but crowd-pleasing action.

#31 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

TDK trilogy, Avengers, or anything else like Watchmen

Necrifer

Those movies are pretty good.

They are good

but just not as good as The Toxic Avenger

#32 Posted by brucewayne69 (2861 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]I hate Batman and how he's compared to superheroes with actual powers that could wipe him off the face of the Earth with a snap of their fingers. However, I did enjoy the movies; maybe it was because he was the only superhero present. Hatiko

Same, I don't know why, I just dislike Batman. He has had some great writers recently before Flashpoint and obviously now after with Snyder but I just didn't like him as a character. If I had to choose Morrison's Batman or Action Comics I would choose his AC just because while the writing is great in both, I prefer a superhero that I like. There are mutliple reason why I think Superman is a better character but we leave that for another times.

I think people tend to knock on Superman because he is so "goody goody", but he is a great character. All Star Superman is one of the best comic books ever. When he saved that girl from killing herself, I shed a man tear.
#33 Posted by JadeTorchwood (869 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]I hate Batman and how he's compared to superheroes with actual powers that could wipe him off the face of the Earth with a snap of their fingers. However, I did enjoy the movies; maybe it was because he was the only superhero present. brucewayne69

I think people tend to knock on Superman because he is so "goody goody", but he is a great character. All Star Superman is one of the best comic books ever. When he saved that girl from killing herself, I shed a man tear.

Yeah, that's why I don't like Superman as much as comic characters like Batman and Iron Man. But I still like Superman though.
#34 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Batman is relatively easy to make into a serious story considering that is what it's been for ages. Not in the beginning but... yeah lets forget those years. Anyhow, the point is that it is harder to take to the same tier of seriousness and good plot someone who levitates and shoots things from their eyes and mouth than someone who basically is a plain as day human at their peak. One you need to use your imagination to keep ahold of. The other you actually wonder what it be like since while improbable, is still possible. CreasianDevaili

Wasn't that around the beginning of the live action media? I don't mean the comics. I mean the live action media.

Oh well ok, then you're right, wasn't so clear in your statement. The comics actually began sometime around in the 1930's :)

#35 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

/A nerd's diary

#36 Posted by Hatiko (4535 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hatiko"]

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]I hate Batman and how he's compared to superheroes with actual powers that could wipe him off the face of the Earth with a snap of their fingers. However, I did enjoy the movies; maybe it was because he was the only superhero present. brucewayne69

True that! But I like how he is "goody goody". It is one of his biggest weaknesses. That time in Man of Steel #3 when Superman went to arrest Batman, Batman said that if Superman touched him there was a bomb rigged to explode somewhere in the city that would killl an innocent person (turned out to be Batman was rigged with the bomb) but it forced Superman to not take action due to his morals, he isn't a "sacrifice an innocent to catch a criminal" kind of guy, which I like because for all of his crazy superpowers, he has this one thing that will hold him back and makes him, for lack of a better term, human.

But I do understand Batman's situation as well, he has to be the way he is because he needs to be scary like an urban legend. He needs to beat up a few thugs severely every now and then because he doesn't have the powers to patrol an entire city. Fear is Batman's control and I guess, his superpower, which is one of the reasons he dislikes Hal Jordan.