Things To Stop Being Distracted By When A Black Person...

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by RushKing (1780 posts) -

http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2014/08/things-stop-distracted-black-person-gets-murdered-police/

A Black person is murdered by cops, security guards or self-appointed vigilantes every 28 hours in the U.S. The killing of an unarmed Black teenager named Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO, which has resulted in protests in that town and harsh police push-back and brutality against even more of its citizens, and which, via social media, has gotten the attention of people around the world, probably isn’t even the latest occurrence, at just three days old.

Talking to people on Twitter about Mike Brown and what’s happening in Ferguson right now, I’ve noticed (again) how easily folks get distracted when Black people are murdered by the police. It seems as though every detail is more interesting, more important, more significant—including looting of a Walmart in Ferguson, which a local Fox news station focused its entire coverage on—than the actual life that was taken by police.

So, to get folks back on track to focus on what matters most here—the killing of yet another unarmed Black teenager—I’ve compiled this list of 6 Things To Stop Being Distracted By When A Black Person Gets Murdered By the Police.

Mia McKenzie
#2 Posted by Master_Live (15647 posts) -

tb:dr

#3 Edited by lostrib (41934 posts) -

Sorry what was the issue again? I must have missed it

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (90506 posts) -

What's the statistics on other ethnicities? Kind of biased to only post one, no?

#5 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

#6 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

Yeah, running away and putting your hands up? Just asking to get gunned down, I tells ya.

#7 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

Yeah, running away and putting your hands up? Just asking to get gunned down, I tells ya.

Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts.

#8 Posted by leif3141 (119 posts) -

How is lawlessness insignificant? I agree that the murder is the more serious of a crime (if that's what it is), but give people a pass on causing mass hysteria and panic, and you're only inviting chaos for grievances. Obviously, this case wasn't being ignored before the rioting happened, but that doesn't mean that CRIMINALS looting stores and causing destruction shouldn't be taken seriously!

#9 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@PannicAtack said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

Yeah, running away and putting your hands up? Just asking to get gunned down, I tells ya.

Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts.

Eyewitnesses say that's what happened. And that's plural.

#10 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: "Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts."

Really? You prefer to wait for the facts? Is that why you made this statement;

"Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that"

Is that what you call not speculating and waiting for the facts? GTFO

#11 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@PannicAtack said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

Yeah, running away and putting your hands up? Just asking to get gunned down, I tells ya.

Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts.

Eyewitnesses say that's what happened. And that's plural.

And witnesses say that's not what happened. That's also plural. So your point would be?

#12 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: "Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts."

Really? You prefer to wait for the facts? Is that why you made this statement;

"Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that"

Is that what you call not speculating and waiting for the facts? GTFO

Are you stuck on stupid or something? Everybody from all sides agreed that they were fighting inside the car. No speculating kid when all sides agree on that part. Get your head out your ass and think before replying.

#13 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: " Everybody from all sides agreed that they were fighting inside the car"

Where was this agreed, on another thread? On the news? What sides are you talking about? Paniccatack doesn't seem to agree with that.

"Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that"

Fighting like what? Since you seem to know all the facts, how was he fighting?

I've read various different articles that have said witnesses say Brown was surrendering and had his hands up when he was shot, and that the police man was overly aggressive and came out the car guns drawn, some have said there was no physical altercation.

So wtf are you talking about everyone on all sides agreed, stop talking out your ass and wait for the facts.

#14 Posted by MirkoS77 (8143 posts) -

"As he was readying for college orientation last week, Brown posted one last message on Facebook: “if i leave this earth today,” he wrote to a friend, “atleast youll know i care about others more then i cared about my damn self.” "

Now I haven't been keeping up to speed on this shooting, but just read this. He posts this on FB, then ends up dead being shot by a cop. Doesn't that strike anyone else as a little too much of a coincidence? That statement sounds to me like someone who is downright suicidal, or at the very least doesn't care whether he lives or dies. Suicide by cop, perhaps?

#15 Posted by Emil_Fontz (594 posts) -

@MirkoS77:

I wouldn't be surprised if that post is an anachronism.

#16 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: " Everybody from all sides agreed that they were fighting inside the car"

Where was this agreed, on another thread? On the news? What sides are you talking about? Paniccatack doesn't seem to agree with that.

"Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that"

Fighting like what? Since you seem to know all the facts, how was he fighting?

I've read various different articles that have said witnesses say Brown was surrendering and had his hands up when he was shot, and that the police man was overly aggressive and came out the car guns drawn, some have said there was no physical altercation.

So wtf are you talking about everyone on all sides agreed, stop talking out your ass and wait for the facts.

They were fighting in the car before everything happened outside the car. Wow you are missing some seriously big parts to this story kid. I suggest you stop typing and start researching. I am not here to be your google so that you know what the rest of us know.

#17 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: ok the facts are not clear as yet so I can't really argue with you.

#18 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: ok the facts are not clear as yet so I can't really argue with you.

Well when you get up to speed with me, then we will continue this conversation.

#19 Edited by lostrib (41934 posts) -

@emil_fontz said:

@MirkoS77:

I wouldn't be surprised if that post is an anachronism.

why?

#20 Edited by Renevent42 (5574 posts) -

Things to avoid being distracted by point 7: Strong-armed robbery

#21 Edited by ferrari2001 (17257 posts) -

While the killing of any unarmed individual is terrible, pillaging, rioting, and destroying private property and holding your entire community for ransom is also bad. Not only that but the people protesting had absolutely no facts about the case at all. Conflicting eye witness statements and lack of evidence made drawing conclusions impossible and yet the protestors drew conclusions anyway, going so far as to issue death threats to the police department and their families. What makes these individuals any better then that cop, who may or may not have acted appropriately in that situation? My view of the situation is let the justice system work, and everyone who participated in the "protest" be fined a few thousand dollars to help clean up the community they destroyed.

#22 Posted by Buckhannah (420 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

Eyewitnesses say that's what happened. And that's plural.

A white cop shot a black woman here in our city a few years back. Multiple witnesses all said she dropped her weapons and tried to surrender before she was shot. All witnesses, when questioned by police, were found to be lying. The officer in question was cleared and evidence showed bright as day that she had a gun and a knife, had already threatened a family member, and had pointed it at the officer.

#23 Posted by MirkoS77 (8143 posts) -

Now this kid's been shown (on video) to be robbing someone. Great.

Sorry, this ain't looking good for him. Hearing now he was fighting an officer for his gun, then others saying he threw up his hands in surrender and was still shot. Sorry to say, his actions and words beforehand don't seem to be consistent with being such an innocent bystander simply surrendering and still gunned down.

#24 Posted by Buckhannah (420 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Now this kid's been shown (on video) to be robbing someone. Great.

Sorry, this ain't looking good for him. Hearing now he was fighting an officer for his gun, then others saying he threw up his hands in surrender and was still shot. Sorry to say, his actions and words beforehand don't seem to be consistent with being such an innocent bystander simply surrendering and still gunned down.

What really gets me is that the family is simultaneously outraged that the video was released, but also say "we simply want the truth to come out". What they really mean to say is that they want their pre-conceived conclusion to be reached and for nothing that (utterly and completely) destroys their narrative around their son to be shown. I do believe that's trying have your cake and eat it too. You want the truth? This video is a part of the truth, and sometimes, the truth is harsh.

Good, sweet, gentle people do not randomly decide to assault and rob convenience store clerks over swisher sweets. The truth about Mike Brown is that either his parents were lying, or they didn't know their son as well as they thought they did.

#25 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4509 posts) -

salt the wound!!

#26 Posted by kuu2 (7879 posts) -

I wonder what my frame of mind would be if approached by a police officer just minutes after I committed strong armed robbery?

#27 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: "Well when you get up to speed with me, then we will continue this conversation"

Excuse me young man, anything you know are things you have read and seen on the news, same as me, get up to speed with you, what, do you have some inside information? I've read many articles and news clips and there are a few different versions of what happened, so where do you get this all sides agree bullshit from. Stop talking out your ass and wait for the facts.

Here educate yourself on a different version of events other than the one article you must be reading;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725057/New-witnesses-claim-Michael-Brown-did-wrong-cop-shooting-Missouri.html

#28 Posted by RushKing (1780 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

While the killing of any unarmed individual is terrible, pillaging, rioting, and destroying private property and holding your entire community for ransom is also bad.

Make an argument, don't just say it's bad. This is the simplified talk she was mentioning. Don't pretend like you have a universal consensus. How do these actions hold the entire community for ransom, and why should we spend time talking about them rather than the shooting?

#29 Posted by ferrari2001 (17257 posts) -

@RushKing said:

@ferrari2001 said:

While the killing of any unarmed individual is terrible, pillaging, rioting, and destroying private property and holding your entire community for ransom is also bad.

Make an argument, don't just say it's bad. This is the simplified talk she was mentioning. Don't pretend like you have a universal consensus. How do these actions hold the entire community for ransom, and why should we spend time talking about them rather than the shooting?

lol what? I don't have to argue that rioting, pillaging and destroying private property is bad. If you disagree then you are an idiot and we are done here.

#30 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: "Well when you get up to speed with me, then we will continue this conversation"

Excuse me young man, anything you know are things you have read and seen on the news, same as me, get up to speed with you, what, do you have some inside information? I've read many articles and news clips and there are a few different versions of what happened, so where do you get this all sides agree bullshit from. Stop talking out your ass and wait for the facts.

Here educate yourself on a different version of events other than the one article you must be reading;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725057/New-witnesses-claim-Michael-Brown-did-wrong-cop-shooting-Missouri.html

I didn't bother clicking your worthless link. I have been watching the news, not reading news articles. Maybe that is your issue and why you seem to be so misinformed/uninformed. I have watched actual video of both witnesses and the cops telling the same thing on parts of it. Like the fighting in the car and the first shot being fired in the car. Like I said, we will have this conversation again when you are up to speed. I am done being mister google for you. It isn't my issue that you only know bits and pieces of wtf happened.

#31 Edited by RushKing (1780 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@RushKing said:

@ferrari2001 said:

While the killing of any unarmed individual is terrible, pillaging, rioting, and destroying private property and holding your entire community for ransom is also bad.

Make an argument, don't just say it's bad. This is the simplified talk she was mentioning. Don't pretend like you have a universal consensus. How do these actions hold the entire community for ransom, and why should we spend time talking about them rather than the shooting?

lol what? I don't have to argue that rioting, pillaging and destroying private property is bad. If you disagree then you are an idiot and we are done here.

I don't think needless destruction is an effective tactic. I believe people who want change can build out of the shell of the old. You are not arguing. You are just moralizing.

#32 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2722 posts) -

@RushKing: I'm from St. Louis. Blacks and Whites don't get along, HOWEVER --

In light of recent information, it's looking increasingly likely that this young man attacked the officer after he approached him about robbing a convenience store. But people aren't going to care now that the media's gotten a hold of it and turned it purely into a racial issue and portrayed the officer as a racist.

Now, in so many people's eyes, the officer is a racist. No matter what happens. It's just automatic.He's racist. It's just kind of sad that racial sensitivity's gotten so out of control that so many people think there's not any chance that Michael Brown was just a bastard who robbed a store and attacked a police officer.

#33 Posted by ferrari2001 (17257 posts) -

@RushKing said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@RushKing said:

@ferrari2001 said:

While the killing of any unarmed individual is terrible, pillaging, rioting, and destroying private property and holding your entire community for ransom is also bad.

Make an argument, don't just say it's bad. This is the simplified talk she was mentioning. Don't pretend like you have a universal consensus. How do these actions hold the entire community for ransom, and why should we spend time talking about them rather than the shooting?

lol what? I don't have to argue that rioting, pillaging and destroying private property is bad. If you disagree then you are an idiot and we are done here.

I don't think needless destruction is an effective tactic, I believe people who want change can build out of the shell of the old. You are not arguing, you are just moralizing.

Says someone who posted a small piece from an article and didn't give any commentary or personal opinion on the matter. Next time you make a thread maybe post some personal input into the situation until trying to strike up an argument with someone who did give an opinion. I didn't come to argue I came to post my opinion, something you are clearly incapable of doing.

#34 Posted by watchdogsrules (491 posts) -

@RushKing said:

http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2014/08/things-stop-distracted-black-person-gets-murdered-police/

A Black person is murdered by cops, security guards or self-appointed vigilantes every 28 hours in the U.S. The killing of an unarmed Black teenager named Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO, which has resulted in protests in that town and harsh police push-back and brutality against even more of its citizens, and which, via social media, has gotten the attention of people around the world, probably isn’t even the latest occurrence, at just three days old.

Talking to people on Twitter about Mike Brown and what’s happening in Ferguson right now, I’ve noticed (again) how easily folks get distracted when Black people are murdered by the police. It seems as though every detail is more interesting, more important, more significant—including looting of a Walmart in Ferguson, which a local Fox news station focused its entire coverage on—than the actual life that was taken by police.

So, to get folks back on track to focus on what matters most here—the killing of yet another unarmed Black teenager—I’ve compiled this list of 6 Things To Stop Being Distracted By When A Black Person Gets Murdered By the Police.

Mia McKenzie

for once i've seen a non-retarded person take notice of these things, thus renewing my hope in humanity.

#36 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36985 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@PannicAtack said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Shouldn't have been fighting with the cop like that.

Yeah, running away and putting your hands up? Just asking to get gunned down, I tells ya.

Only we have no clue if that is what happened. But you go ahead and speculate if that helps you sleep at night. I prefer to wait for the facts.

Dat ironic contradiction

#39 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

The government must be doing some questionable shit right now for this story to make headlines and distract Americans from the important issues at hand.

#40 Edited by thebest31406 (3555 posts) -

And it continues...

California: Unarmed Black Father Dies After Tasing by Deputies

The death of Michael Brown has coincided with other police killings of unarmed African-American men. On Tuesday in California, a father of five died in custody after sheriff’s deputies repeatedly hit him with a Taser. San Bernardino County sheriffs say they stopped Dante Parker while he was riding his bicycle, after a resident reported seeing a man flee on a bike following a burglary attempt. Just one week earlier, police fatally shot 22-year-old John Crawford inside a Wal-Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio. Witnesses said Crawford was holding a toy gun on sale at the store and was shot after failing to put it down. Human Rights Watch says the killings of John Crawford, Michael Brown and Eric Garner, who was placed in an illegal chokehold by New York City police, "raise serious human rights concerns."

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/15/headlines#8152

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: oh the TV news is some how more credible than a established NEWSpapers article online, you see your flawed shitty logic? The article is about a couple of witnesses that came forward they don't seem to agree with your "fighting inside the car bullshit" along with other witness statements I've read online from reputable news firms, you keep watching Fox News for all your info and burying your head in the sand, I don't give two flying fucks about you clicking the link I'm just telling your dumb ass that in the real world I.e the world outside of your head, that not all sides agree they were "fighting inside the car". keep talking out your ass you're making yourself look like a complete fucktard. All sides agree lol!!! GTFO you are a joke.

Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong point, is it? What part of I watched actual video of the witnesses and the cops are you not grasping? I didn't bother reading past your first sentence because I can see you would much rather keep your head up your ass instead of using google to educate yourself on the subject. Yeah kid, we are done here.

#42 Posted by Buckhannah (420 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

I wonder what my frame of mind would be if approached by a police officer just minutes after I committed strong armed robbery?

"Damn, I'm gonna get busted. This is going to fuck up my whole life, Mom's gonna be so pissed, I was supposed to start college in a few days, all that effort to graduate, all that hard work, will be for nothing"

#43 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17142 posts) -

The issue with stories like this is that there's so much political bullshit that gets tossed around. It's horrible that a freaking kid died, but I don't feel I can trust any single source when they say what was happening one way or the other. Some might say that the kid was doing absolutely nothing and that could be just to stir up racial tension while others might say that he was acting aggressively in order to make a white guy feel better. It's why I don't follow news stories like this. It'snot about the story, it's about the way people react to it, and because of that almost no facts actually get reported.

#44 Posted by ferrari2001 (17257 posts) -

@watchdogsrules said:

@ferrari2001: typical person who watches fox news: forgets the REAL news and looks at the petty side stories that are CLEARLY insignificant so they can be justified about their retarded opinion. and if you think "destroying" property is worse than killing an innocent, then besides ann coulter and sarah palin you are quite frankly the dumbest person on the face of this Earth.

What the fuck are you going on about. "Typical person who watches fox news" what does that even mean? Are you saying you watch fox news? I certainly don't so I must then in turn assume that you do in which case I can just stop listening to you right now. "if you think destroying property is worse than killing an innocent." um 1) where did I ever say it was worse? 2) he isn't an innocent. He was fleeing a robbery and was fighting with an officer. The only witness statement we have that says the opposite of this fact is his "friend" who helped him rob a store. Hardly a reputable source.

#45 Edited by thebest31406 (3555 posts) -

I fail to see the relevance between the accused robbery and the tragedy in question, especially in light of the fact that the officer knew nothing of Brown's alleged involvement in the theft. There are those that suggest it is relevant, but in typical, right-wing fashion, this "relevance" is never articulated. That alone should tells us that even they don't believe in this "relevance" claim.

#46 Edited by Buckhannah (420 posts) -

@thebest31406 said:

I fail to see the relevance between the accused robbery and the tragedy in question, especially in light of the fact that the officer knew nothing of Brown's alleged involvement in the theft. There are those that suggest it is relevant, but in typical, right-wing fashion, this "relevance" is never articulated. That alone should tells us that even they don't believe in this "relevance" claim.

It's relevant because people ask why this man would do something as stupid as attack a cop and try to take his gun. This video of him robbing a convenience store and physically assaulting a much smaller older person speaks to his character and his potential mindset. Yes, the cop had no idea he had robbed that store.

But did Mike Brown know that the cop didn't know? Mike Brown being a violent bully is very relevant to this case. Police are killed every year doing routine things like serving warrants or performing traffic stops for speeding or broken tail lights because of what someone assumed they were doing or knew.

#47 Posted by thebest31406 (3555 posts) -

@Buckhannah said:

@thebest31406 said:

I fail to see the relevance between the accused robbery and the tragedy in question, especially in light of the fact that the officer knew nothing of Brown's alleged involvement in the theft. There are those that suggest it is relevant, but in typical, right-wing fashion, this "relevance" is never articulated. That alone should tells us that even they don't believe in this "relevance" claim.

It's relevant because people ask why this man would do something as stupid as attack a cop and try to take his gun. This video of him robbing a convenience store and physically assaulting a much smaller older person speaks to his character and his potential mindset. Yes, the cop had no idea he had robbed that store.

But did Mike Brown know that the cop didn't know? Mike Brown being a violent bully is very relevant to this case. Police are killed every year doing routine things like serving warrants or performing traffic stops for speeding or broken tail lights because of what someone assumed they were doing or knew.

Remember kids, anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

#48 Edited by Renevent42 (5574 posts) -
@thebest31406 said:

@Buckhannah said:

@thebest31406 said:

I fail to see the relevance between the accused robbery and the tragedy in question, especially in light of the fact that the officer knew nothing of Brown's alleged involvement in the theft. There are those that suggest it is relevant, but in typical, right-wing fashion, this "relevance" is never articulated. That alone should tells us that even they don't believe in this "relevance" claim.

It's relevant because people ask why this man would do something as stupid as attack a cop and try to take his gun. This video of him robbing a convenience store and physically assaulting a much smaller older person speaks to his character and his potential mindset. Yes, the cop had no idea he had robbed that store.

But did Mike Brown know that the cop didn't know? Mike Brown being a violent bully is very relevant to this case. Police are killed every year doing routine things like serving warrants or performing traffic stops for speeding or broken tail lights because of what someone assumed they were doing or knew.

Remember kids, anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

What does that have to do with what he actually said and more importantly his point?

Anyways I may have missed something regarding the statement on what the policeman knew, but from what I have read of the actual statement the police said the stop had nothing to do with the robbery initially (it was jaywalking), not that he did not know throughout the entire ordeal. Of course as Buckhannah has already pointed out I don't think it matters either way...it's related anyway you slice it.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74204 posts) -

@RushKing: So you're saying it's ok to shoot unarmed kids? Hell even choke them to death?

#50 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58226 posts) -

What are black people like? I'm not racist so I've never noticed one before.